Results 1 to 29 of 29

Thread: The P.O.T.D. and Flickr Connection

  1. #1
    Enjoys It Here
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    68

    The P.O.T.D. and Flickr Connection

    (moved here from POTD thread)

    Thankyou for the replies.I've missed the trick with the updates part of the overhead menu-oops!I got too used to using the 'view the archive' button under the POTD pictures.Perhaps I should just get my eyes tested!

  2. #2
    Plenty To Say
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    720
    Why does aw host the images on flickr?! It makes no sens!

    - A click on the image should send us to the image hosted by aw
    - A click on the text should send us to the post of the image in this topic.

  3. #3
    Plenty To Say
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    363
    I whole heartedly agree. Asinine move if you ask me. Not happy with this one AW
    Quote Originally Posted by redlabka View Post
    Why does aw host the images on flickr?! It makes no sens!

    - A click on the image should send us to the image hosted by aw
    - A click on the text should send us to the post of the image in this topic.

  4. #4
    Still Exploring
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    59

    The P.O.T.D. and Flickr Connection

    WHAA! -- Now I have to give my shoe-size and bloodtype to YET ANOTHER soon-to-be-hacked-database simply so I can see the P.O.T.D. still? Absolutely NOT - in the words of GWHB: "N'ah guhn happen… wouldn't be prudent…".

    The requirement that I register with and log into a YAHOO SPAM-factory in order to see AW stills is an INCREDIBLY BAD IDEA!

    You folks are LOSING IT and on the slippery slope down to inconsequential oblivion if you think the few extra bux earned by handing your customers to YAHOO/Flickr makes one iota of sense.

    Please re-think and rescind this inanity - put POTD somewhere in AW-land and stop building databases for other people that, ultimately, will destroy any semblance of privacy for everyone.

    If I haven't made my point clear: Having a FLICKR account requirement to see P.O.T.D. is a MASSIVE/EPIC/FAIL of an idea. Nobody will hate you for doing the right thing - GET RID OF IT.

  5. #5
    Posting Champion
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    5,085
    I'm sittin' here wonderin' why AW had to relocate the PotD from the AW front page to the forums begin with. Now I'm really sittin' here scratchin' my head as t why AW would have a need for choosing any other site to host their pics. Why not keep PotD in the forums now since we've gotten used to that?

  6. #6
    Plenty To Say
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    München
    Posts
    247
    and how does flickr work? I don't see anything there...
    not nice...

  7. #7
    Posting Champion
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Earth (I think)
    Posts
    3,068
    Are you sure your browser isn't hacked? I can see the picture of the day at AW. There is no mention of needing a flickr account to view the picture, so maybe it's something wrong with your browser?

  8. #8
    Enjoys It Here
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    68
    Viewing POTD on Flickr appears to be an option only.I made the mistake of not checking the navigation bar well enough-you can view the POTD archive by clicking on ''updates'' and then choosing the archive as an option(either POTD archive or Rave archive).I feared using Flickr was required,but it isn't,thank goodness-that would be a bad move,a reeeeaaallly bad move!

  9. #9
    Posting Champion
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    36°51' Latitude South and 174°47' Longitude East or thereabouts
    Posts
    7,938
    I quite liked the pictures on Flickr... There was some wonderful pictures of the model I had forgotten about. Clicked on some favourite and started following it.. then realized I was signed in as the real me not the MrPinkEyes so had to quickly unfavourite and unfollow it all....

    But still I liked the pictures posted on flickr and not totally sure why everyone seems so against it.

  10. #10
    Plenty To Say
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    720
    Quote Originally Posted by mrpinkeyes View Post
    But still I liked the pictures posted on flickr and not totally sure why everyone seems so against it.
    AW is supposed to able to host the images by themselves... (their job is to create the content and to host it)
    There isn't any benefit for the members to go to another website to see the pictures. Specially not one which requires to be logged in.

  11. #11
    Plenty To Say
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    363
    I too am scratching my head on this one. An inconvenience for all of us. Thanks AW
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfgangbuster29 View Post
    I'm sittin' here wonderin' why AW had to relocate the PotD from the AW front page to the forums begin with. Now I'm really sittin' here scratchin' my head as t why AW would have a need for choosing any other site to host their pics. Why not keep PotD in the forums now since we've gotten used to that?

  12. #12
    Owner
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    784
    Hi folks,

    I am responsible for the move of POTD to Flickr.

    By way of background, since 2007, we have been working on a revised CMS (Content Management System), that allowed us to manage and present our content to customers much better. In early 2010, we launched that - CMS2, you might have heard - there were some serious changes to how the site was organised, some people hated it, but most appreciated it's benefits. Since then, it's been working... ok, but many of the glitches (most found by Frans!) were due to our dependance on the CMS1 Admin system, which was antiquated and being used in ways it was never designed (feeding admin info to CMS2). Over the following years, we have added more and more Admin features to CMS2, and in August 2013, we retired CMS1 admin completely, as the problems CMS1 were causing were becoming too great to manage. POTD was administered by CMS1, and we chose to move POTD to the boards temporarily, rather than implement it in CMS2 immediately. POTD was on the boards longer than we thought. But, as you have surely noticed, a week or so ago, it come back to the members news page (kind of!), but on Flickr.

    In case you're not aware, this is a seriously dire time for adult web sites such as ours. Customers are leaving, tempted by free alternatives. Less people are joining. We need to work harder than ever to get new customers. Most of our customers are not like you - if you're reading this, you are most definitely part of the "1%". Part of our strategy to get more customers is to use social media more, as many people use social media to find porn (though again, if you're reading this, you may not). Flickr is one of those avenues (others include Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, and Quora). We have a few "galleries" on Flicker, and initial action is positive.

    Most social media works by making regular, interesting, meaningful, personal posts (that is, us posting our POTD's), and interacting with people who interact with those posts - a conversation. If you're a Flicker member logged in, you can see this is already happening to a degree on the several POTD's posted to Flickr so far, and we expect that will increase over time, and that these interactions will lead to new customers. We have to balance our efforts into finding new customers, and keeping our existing customers happy.

    However, as several people have noted, there's a fundamental problem: if you're not a Flickr user, you cannot see the POTD's, because of the setting being "restricted". I did not anticipate this (as I have a Flickr account, and I leave it logged in on my workstation). To save you some time, yes, I know I am an idiot. Of course, the easy answer is, join Flickr! (for the record, it takes a few minutes, you can stay logged in, and Flickr has some great fetish content - I'd encourage you to join).

    For those who do not want to join Flickr, I am not sure what the best option is. Presumably some sort of "mirror" so the images are on AW as well as Flickr (though I hate the idea of duplicating content). Possibly, if we made POTD images more "Tame", we'd no longer have to have them set as "restricted", and then they'd be visible by all, but I don't think that's a compromise we should make.

  13. #13
    Plenty To Say
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    720
    Your "social media strategy" doesn't seem to be a smart thing: Do you really think that people want to talk about porn with their real names?!
    If you really want to try do some social media stuff, you could at least deactivate it for members.

    Taking care of existing members should be more important than trying to find new ones...

  14. #14
    Owner
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    784
    redlabka, Some people are comfortable talking about porn with their real names, others are not - I accept that you, and some others here are not. There's no reason for a Flickr account to be tied to a real name, though of course, if you have an existing one, it may be.

    As I said in my post above:

    We have to balance our efforts into finding new customers, and keeping our existing customers happy.
    Seems you disagree, but that's the facts of the matter. We need new subscribers... and we need to keep old subscribers. Sometimes, they are opposed, but usually, we find a happy medium. in this case, we have failed (for you, at least). We'll work on making it better.

  15. #15
    Still Exploring
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    50
    Garion, personally I will not sign up for a Flickr account, even with a fake name as it is just another entity that has information about myself and the online tracking thereof. AW is very special as the interaction between staff, models, and members make for an incredible journey. POTD has been a favorite vehicle in this journey as well as all your efforts to keep the site different and social. Certainly understand your need to attract additional clients and perhaps reaching out to new media will help in that quest, however please consider the demographics of your current clients, and understand when we resist change on a website we so love. As always thank you and a big smile to the staff for all the hard work and energy spent making us happy.

  16. #16
    Still Exploring
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    59
    Quote Originally Posted by Dekoda View Post
    Are you sure your browser isn't hacked? I can see the picture of the day at AW. There is no mention of needing a flickr account to view the picture, so maybe it's something wrong with your browser?
    Hi - no my browser is not hacked - there MAY be some differences in how that image is accessed based on operating-system - but WHATEVER...… (he said with maximum teenage-contempt and rolling eyeballs!) the access to the AW P.O.T.D.s hasn't been accomplished as might have been intended. I could see filtering access to the P.O.T.D. based on whether or not one might be LOGGED-IN to AW… but that's not what's going on here - they want me to log into FLICKR.

    You may not be aware - but FLICKR is a subsidiary of YAHOO - thus, if you get YAHOO eMail or use other YAHOO services - you may, as a consequence, already be 'logged into' YAHOO - which could, under their setup, avoid your having to log into FLICKR.

    Well - I hope the AW IT-squad of super-techs picks up on this situation and does something about it - most everything else on the AW site works exceptionally well.

    THANX!!

  17. #17
    Plenty To Say
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    720
    Quote Originally Posted by garionhall View Post
    redlabka, Some people are comfortable talking about porn with their real names, others are not - I accept that you, and some others here are not. There's no reason for a Flickr account to be tied to a real name, though of course, if you have an existing one, it may be.
    If your did this to match your "social media strategy", you expect us to use our real names and our real friends. Some people won't even understand that they are using their real names.
    It isn't respectful towards members.

  18. #18
    Wields limited power
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    The Axiom hovering over the Netherlands
    Posts
    13,014
    Garion,

    Non-restricted pictures (i.e. tamer) will be seen by more people I suspect. I'm not sure you'd want to show the potd widget to show thumbnails which link to flickr/off-site. People won't expect to leave the aw site to view such images. Flickr is another site, has way different rules/regulations regarding privacy/popup and such. It's also not a site you manage yourself, so if it's broken you can't fix it. It's fine to draw in new members, but to present it as part of members content is tricky.

    Coming in via flickr it makes sense, but already being a member (other way around) it is odd being teased to join flickr

    As far as I can see the pics are also still being posted on this thread, so existing members can/should ignore the potd widget entirely and just subscribe to this thread instead. Problem solved. Sure it duplicates content, but they are two different groups anyway. Nobody will complain about you *also* placing the potd pics on flickr, new members are good, just don't make it the only way.

  19. #19
    Wields limited power
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    The Axiom hovering over the Netherlands
    Posts
    13,014
    Quote Originally Posted by notarysojac View Post
    Well - I hope the AW IT-squad of super-techs picks up on this situation and does something about it - most everything else on the AW site works exceptionally well.
    This is not a tech issue or bug, it's a policy decision, see Garion's posts above (I moved them here from the POTD thread).

  20. #20
    Plenty To Say
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Balkan
    Posts
    412
    Quote Originally Posted by Frans View Post
    As far as I can see the pics are also still being posted on this thread, so existing members can/should ignore the potd widget entirely and just subscribe to this thread instead. Problem solved. Sure it duplicates content, but they are two different groups anyway. Nobody will complain about you *also* placing the potd pics on flickr, new members are good, just don't make it the only way.
    Thank you! I also thought about this solution and was surprised nobody else has mentioned it already.

  21. #21
    Owner
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    784
    Thanks for the feedback, and your patience.

    We're working on a solution that works on the site (showing images to members), and posts them to Flickr concurrently. That should be live soon. In the mean time, we'll keep posting the images to the boards thread.

  22. #22
    Permanent Resident
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    canada somewhere
    Posts
    1,040
    Quote Originally Posted by garionhall View Post
    Thanks for the feedback, and your patience.

    We're working on a solution that works on the site (showing images to members), and posts them to Flickr concurrently. That should be live soon. In the mean time, we'll keep posting the images to the boards thread.
    sounds like the best way to make everyone happy, thank for doing one of the things that makes AW great, your willingness to listen to the costomers

  23. #23
    Enjoys It Here
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    86
    “If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said 'faster horses'.”
    ― Henry Ford

  24. #24
    Wields limited power
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    The Axiom hovering over the Netherlands
    Posts
    13,014
    The potd images in the widget on mainpage now open in a AW popup, which is nice!

  25. #25
    Posting Champion
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    5,085
    Quote Originally Posted by Frans View Post
    The potd images in the widget on mainpage now open in a AW popup, which is nice!
    I like it Now that's a step in the right direction. Thanks, guys & gals.

  26. #26
    Still Exploring
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    59
    Boy-Howdy-WheeYoo-Dohgies !! Hey - the P.O.T.D. now works BETTER'N-EVER! Way to go AW web-weenies! Very nice.

  27. #27
    Posting Champion
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    36°51' Latitude South and 174°47' Longitude East or thereabouts
    Posts
    7,938
    Question.....
    Can/do we still have access to all the old POTD images in the previous archives somewhere? The flickr images described as archives don't go back very far at all.

    I can't seem to find the link to the old achieve screen? Is this me???

    Thanks

    Pinky

  28. #28
    Posting Champion
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    AW's addiction clinic...Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    3,333
    Quote Originally Posted by mrpinkeyes View Post
    Question.....
    Can/do we still have access to all the old POTD images in the previous archives somewhere? The flickr images described as archives don't go back very far at all.

    I can't seem to find the link to the old achieve screen? Is this me???

    Thanks

    Pinky
    Click on " Updates " in the top left side of the front page.

  29. #29
    Posting Champion
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    36°51' Latitude South and 174°47' Longitude East or thereabouts
    Posts
    7,938
    Quote Originally Posted by tjsunray View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mrpinkeyes View Post
    Question.....
    Can/do we still have access to all the old POTD images in the previous archives somewhere? The flickr images described as archives don't go back very far at all.

    I can't seem to find the link to the old achieve screen? Is this me???

    Thanks

    Pinky
    Click on " Updates " in the top left side of the front page.
    Thanks TJ....
    Noticed that the flickr updates is not of every pic like in the archives and the descriptive or cryptic text no longer is associated with the pictures. Starting to see what all the fuss is about.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter

 
Sign up for the abby newsletter. Don't worry, we'll NEVER share your email address with anyone.