Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A message from a Brit

Dear Abbywinters team and members,

I don't want this thread to become political so lets not have any discussion of parties as such. I just want to talk as a long time AW member and admirer of many of the models and members who contribute to the forum.

I am devastated today by the fact that my country has voted to leave the European Union in a referendum. I have problems with the EU and think it is in need of proper reform. However I love the continent we call Europe, the different peoples, the possibility of going to live and work in other countries and share new and different experiences.

I voted Remain yesterday because although there may have come a point in the future where enough was enough, I believe together we can achieve more and safeguard the values we hold dear. That includes the ones which allow this wonderful site to be with its wonderful models from across the continent and the genuine positive portrayal of in particular female sexuality and personalities.

Please note that although the vote was split, a vast majority young people who are the future wanted to stay, as did most people who are in their thirties and just above. Those of us who rub shoulders on a regular basis with people from Europe also wanted to stay. The vote was manipulated by a lot of lies from politicians who do not have the good intentions they purport to have.

The main purpose of this thread though is to say how much I personally care not only about the future of my own country but also the future of Europe and the values that bind us together and make us different from even other Western countries. These are worth upholding and defending. The great ideas, thinkers, discoveries on this continent. The freedoms, tolerance and acceptance that whilst our individual rights are important and should be upheld, we also need to look after each other and particularly the more vulnerable in society.

I hope the negotiators find a way to not detach us from you completely and continue to have access to the single market and keep the principle of freedom of movement.

I love all of you here that have good intentions in your heart and remember there are millions of Britains like me who believed in and voted for the same.

I love Europe. I love the constituent countries with their different languages and cultures which make up this place including my own.

Thanks.

SF

Great post sweatyfox.

You are quite right,it shouldn't become too political but,as an ex-pat not allowed to vote,I must say how shocked I am too.I read your post a couple of times and couldn't find anything I disagreed with.We can only hope something can be cobbled together from the shambles of yesterday.

Comment

Well said Mr. Fox. Viewing this situation from afar it seems like big part of this is being driven by immigration, particularly refugees and their ability to move throughout EU member countries once granted asylum. I am reminded strongly of the situation over here in the U.S. with Donald Trump and his calls for building a wall between the U.S. and Mexico and banning Muslim immigrants from coming into the U.S. Building walls is not going to solve immigration issues. The only effective solution is going to be for all countries to work together to come up with solutions to address all of the issues that have been sending people on the move in recent years. This is a crisis that is only going to get worse as world population continues to grow.

The main purpose of this thread though is to say how much I personally care not only about the future of my own country but also the future of Europe and the values that bind us together and make us different from even other Western countries. These are worth upholding and defending. The great ideas, thinkers, discoveries on this continent. The freedoms, tolerance and acceptance that whilst our individual rights are important and should be upheld, we also need to look after each other and particularly the more vulnerable in society.
      I couldn't agree with you more with what you said here. There often seems to be both an element of racism and a lack of empathy behind anti immigration sentiments. I'm not sure people understand what has been going on in some of the countries refugees have been fleeing from in recent years.

Comment

We shall now have to wait and see what we manage to forge from the ashes - who knows regrowth coudl await us all but I to am sad and have also been left feeling less certain about where I am right now than I have done in years - very sad and confusing times.

Comment

Can imagine it's confusing times for the Remain voters yeah. What sorta surprised me is how confused the Leave people seem to be? One would imagine this is their desired scenario so they'd know what to do. But nobody seems to want to pull the Leave (art 50) trigger just yet, which is interesting... Did I hear something about Boris Johnson becoming prime-minister btw or did I watch to many BBC lately ?

You're still in the EU Masie, you're on the right side of the channel Besides, all signs point to negotiations taking at least two years. Nothing has happened yet really. Best of luck to you Brittons!

Comment

I heard stories of people in Gibraltar openly weeping Friday morning at work. The mood was incredibly somber in Gibraltar - I went over Friday evening to be with my Gibraltarian friends as I wasn't sure how much longer that would even be possible! Sunday, the right wing party won the greatest number of votes in the Spanish election which was more bad news. But I saw something about Scotland and Gibraltar working together to figure out a way to stay in the EU, so I'm feeling a bit hopeful at least, and praying the pound starts going back up soon!

Comment

Originally posted by masie View Post
              We shall now have to wait and see what we manage to forge from the ashes - who knows regrowth coudl await us all but I to am sad and have also been left feeling less certain about where I am right now than I have done in years - very sad and confusing times.
              You're British, right? So if I understand correctly, your right to work in Europe is based on the UK's EU membership. So while the UK has no reason to retract your right to work outside of the UK, the EU could (eventually) require you to obtain the same work authorization papers that others "foreigners" are required to get. And based on how generous the EU feels, that could be easy or hard. Is that the nature of your uncertainty?

On a happier note, here's a very humanizing article about "Operation Croissant" in the Telegraph that's worth reading, especially the endearing postcards.

Comment

I don't want this thread to become political so lets not have any discussion of parties as such.
                Sweaty, that is a difficult thing to do considering what is happening around the world including down here in Oz, but I will do as you wish and refrain. As an ex-pom I can only agree with everything you have said and sympathise with you. I too was shocked that the vote was to leave the EU.

I can also sympathise with Masie who is now in a position of uncertainty because too many people did not take the time to fully understand the implications of a vote to leave. For her sake and others in similar situations I hope that in the near future more rational voices will be heard and a sensible solution is found.

Comment

Dear people,

So I am defiant now about this as I am a European at heart and know I want to be part of this. I am currently looking at intensive language courses abroad. I know Berlin is a super cool city. As is Amsterdam. I also speak good French. I am going to plan this out properly and then follow my dream. I musn't let anybody or situation get in the way. I will let you guys know more soon. I want to work in a forward looking society and follow my languages.

I may ask for some advice from those of you who live in these places, as it makes sense to prepare before making the move.

SF

Comment

Way to go SF - I am going on the logic that where ever you are before they hit the officiall button as an expatt, you may stand a good chance of staying thewre as no one wants a rush of their own citizens flooding back over from Blighty.

I am very jelous of your French skills I am currently trying to learn and it is taking me for ever but I hope to get there soon as being a Brit abroad with only half an extra language under their belt is never a good thing.

Good luck - pick somewhere that feels right and life and hard work should take care of the rest xxxx

Comment

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter

Sign up for the abby newsletter. Don't worry, we'll NEVER share your email address with anyone.
                    Working...
                    X