This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Playdates no longer working

I've never had a problem accessing public playdates, but could not get any video or sound trying to view Marleen's playdate today. Could only view and participate in chat. Tried everything, completely logging out of the site (which I never do) and logging back in, turning off my computer and then back on, etc. Still no picture or sound. No one else seemed to have a problem. Not happy because never had a problem before and because of the scheduled times for these playdates, there are very few that I can participate in. Being a long time member, I am very, very unhappy. I do recall the previous playdate that I tried to access in which I tried coming in with just a few minutes left in the hour and also could not access any picture or sound. So what is wrong now???? Please help. I feel completely left out now. Also submitted a bug report, but everyone else is really enjoying the playdate. ...(crying). Looks like I'm done with playdates. Well, they were fun while they lasted.
    Last edited by laktor; 21 August 2016, 02:58 PM.

laktor, can you try to stream watch any video from a recent shoot? I.e. go to it's videopage and click on the |> symbol in the middle of the screen there. If that works, click on 'HD' right below in the bar and in the popup you then get select 'HD' as the video quality setting. Does that (still) work ok for you?

Without further details on what you did see, or what browser you used it's very hard to determine what could be the problem

Comment

Frans, video streaming of any shoot is fine, as is downloading. I have Windows 10 which recommends Microsoft Edge as the browser, but I have the option to switch to Internet Explorer, but I did not think to try that during the playdate. Do you think that may be the problem? I upgraded to Windows 10 maybe a month and a half ago. The last playdate I was able to view was Ella C. Was that a few weeks ago? But have only tuned into two playdates since then (one just the last 7 min. and unable to view) and today's playdate with Marleen. This is because of the bad times for me, playdates starting at 5 or 6am or weekday afternoons. Today, a Sunday was perfect and of all the upcoming playdates, I will only be able to see Maia, who I love. I really want this problem resolved before then!

Comment

I would recommend trying Internet Explorer, since Edge as far as I know is less accepting of plug-ins that may be needed.

To be on the safe side you may want to install either Chrome or Firefox as 3rd browser, that way you're prepared to switch when needed

Comment

I never had a problem with Internet Explorer before so hopefully that will work.

Comment

Hi laktor,

As you have probably read, Playdates are (still) in Beta for us, which means they break sometimes.

We're still working on fine tuning them. Week before last, we released some major changes, that makes them work much better for models (who were also having some issues) and have a more robust back-end for us, but - as you experienced - broke some things for some customers. We're working as I type - on fixing that.

It's likely that this issue will be resolved in the next few days, and your experience after that would be very helpful to know.

The recent changes we made will ensure that Playdates are no browser-dependant (they were, to some degree), but we specifically do not support MS Edge, and we do recommend Chrome. IE 11 will generally work, but it's now mostly discontinued my Microsoft, so will likely start working less-well over the coming years (as sites evolve, and IE does not).

In this case, however, the issues are not relevant to your browser, it's on our end, and I apologise for that. Thanks for your patience while we get this right.

As for times, I am surprised to hear you have such problems being online when models are - we mix it up a fair bit. When is the best day and time for you?

Comment

Thanks Garion for your input on this issue and explaining things a bit. I'm still surprised that with Marleen's playdate Sunday I seemed to be the only person who logged in that was unable to see or hear her. I did read on the chat that apparently video was lost and then restored, but I could not get any picture or sound during the entire playdate. Since you say that the issue in this case was not relevant to my browser and the problem was on your end, I can only hope that it will be resolved by Saturday when Maia's playdate is scheduled. And yes, you do mix the times up quite a bit, but lately I'm seeing a lot of early mornings (my time) such as 5 or 6am. Weekend playdates are great for me, at almost any time, except those nasty 5 or 6am times. On weekdays, what works for me is mornings after 8am or late nights after 10pm (which would be bad times for models in Amsterdam, or anywhere in Europe but perhaps good for girls in Australia). I may get to check out Willa's playdate Wednesday this week if I can manage to get up that early, but if I have trouble viewing it, then it's back to bed!

Comment

Hi Laktor, the issue you experienced should be fixed now.

Thanks for yourfeedback on Playdate times... can you let me know where in the world you are, though? Then I canput your request in the mix (no promises, though!).

Comment

I'm in eastern N. America time. (eastern Canada)

Comment

Damn. Playdates STILL don't work for me! Didn't get to see Maia. Guess I won't get to see any more playdates. Will you ever get this fixed????????????

Comment

Laktor, what did you try (browsers ?) and what did you see/not see ?

Comment

Used Internet Explorer and only saw chat. Same as before. Where the video picture should be was blank with a play button on the bottom and a timer that said 00:00. Nothing happened when I hit play. When the play dates were working I automatically got the video when I clicked on the model's picture. I could install Google Chrome or Firefox and see what happens but I don't expect anything different. Garion said in this thread that the problem was on your end and wasn't my browser although the usual amount of members were able to access the play date and we're enjoying it.

Comment

Iaktor, you are not alone. I had exactly the same experience when trying to access Maia's Playdate, yesterday. Very, very frustrating! I very rarely go on Playdate and was looking forward to Maia's one. Really like her and the timing was just right for me.

Comment

I saw exactly what Laktor describes, but was using Microsoft Edge, which as Garion says is not supported. When I logged on again using Google Chrome as browser, I got straight into the playdate with full sound and vision.

Comment

georgyxxx20, what browser(s) did you use or try ??

laktor sounds like chrome works more reliably then IE or Edge, you might want to install it to have options available for the next playdate. Playdate's should work on IE but it's nice to have alternatives at hand when it doesn't

Comment

Originally posted by Frans View Post
                                laktor sounds like chrome works more reliably then IE or Edge, you might want to install it to have options available for the next playdate. Playdate's should work on IE but it's nice to have alternatives at hand when it doesn't
                                Guess I'll have to get Google Chrome although IE always worked fine up to now.

Comment

Yes, I'm pretty sure playdates will work in Chrome or Firefox. Problem with IE is that Microsoft is focusing more on Edge now, which is annoying as it doesn't work 100% yet either. Anyway, the non-technical best approach is simply to use Chrome for playdates

Comment

Well, I downloaded Google Chrome and will try it for playdates, but don't think I will make it my default browser. Doesn't have convenient ways to get to popular sites such as facebook or youtube, like Edge does. Plus can't figure out how to get my list of favourite sites over to Chrome.

Comment

Originally posted by laktor View Post
                                      Plus can't figure out how to get my list of favourite sites over to Chrome.
                                      In Chrome go to menu (three stripes button thing right-top), go to Bookmarks, Import bookmarks and settings -> choose Edge from the dropdown box in that window and you'll manage from there I think

Comment

Frans, I followed your instructions and it said the import was successful (instantaneously) but how do I see all of my favourite bookmarks? Clicking on the "star" or that three stripes bar doesn't bring them up.

Comment

Originally posted by laktor View Post
                                          Frans, I followed your instructions and it said the import was successful (instantaneously) but how do I see all of my favourite bookmarks? Clicking on the "star" or that three stripes bar doesn't bring them up.
                                          Star only makes new bookmarks Control-Shift-B shows the bookmark bar (can also be done via bookmarks menu, same where you choose 'import' on)

Comment

Hi, to confirm, we're working on compatibility for IE11 now, and I hope that will be resolved int he next few days.

Edge, we do not plan to support yet, but we likely will soon.

The most reliable for Playdates will always be Chrome, however - it's certainly no problem on our end if you use it just for Playdates, and use Edge or IE for everything else if you wish.

Comment

Hi Garion, I had some technical issues during Bobbie's whole playdate. I use ipad wirh ios 9.3.4 which normally doesn't support flash, but wwith the puffin browser, it worked well for many playdates! With an update to the latest puffin version, rhe video can't be shown, I only see a grey window.
                                              May you help me?

Comment

Originally posted by tobias123 View Post
                                                Hi Garion, I had some technical issues during Bobbie's whole playdate. I use ipad wirh ios 9.3.4 which normally doesn't support flash, but wwith the puffin browser, it worked well for many playdates! With an update to the latest puffin version, rhe video can't be shown, I only see a grey window.
                                                May you help me?
                                                That has little to do with the puffin update but more with playdate updates I suspect. You need a browser with WebRTC support, I'm not very familiar with iOS but this claims to do what you need; http://www.openwebrtc.org/bowser/

Comment

Tuned into Willa's playdate today using Google Chrome and it worked fine, although there was clearly a problem with the video quality, quite fuzzy to everyone viewing. However, with Chrome, the only viewing options were the small size of the video window or using full screen, in which case you would not be able to view the chat. When the playdates worked with IE (which they do not anymore), you could expand the window to any size you wanted. This does not work using Chrome as I tried. Why?

Comment

Hi laktor,

The quality matter is discussed at the bottom of this FAQ, http://support.abbywinters.com/playd...orking-for-me/

the adjustable size matter, good point - we changed the underlying systems for Playdates (from Adobe Flash to WebRTC), and lost that feature. I've added it to the list to have that work again.

thanks for the feedback.

Comment

Thanks Garion, but ha ha...I meant Flora's playdate, not Willa's!

Comment

So did anyone get to see any of Juliana's playdate earlier on this evening, every time I tried all I got was a message from "tech support" saying they were working on it, would be up in few mins etc but nothing, in the end after 50 mins I gave up even after downloading and trying Google Chrome browser, the test playdate worked ok.

Hope this gets sorted before the round of anniversary playdates come up in just under a fortnight.

Comment

if you see messages from tech support on the playdate page mentioning problems, it's either at the models or the AWHQ side. Downloading and installing another browser on your pc won't fix those Having said that, Chrome is the best working browser for playdates currently so it's not a bad thing to have it ready.

Comment

Hey Havijack, that was me posting those messages. Juliana, myself and a web developer were working hard at night to fix the bug, but we were not able to in 50 minutes, so I decided to cancel the Playdate.

This problem is now resolved, and a few minutes ago, I tested with Juliana and it's working well now, so I'm hoperful for her real Playdate in a few minutes.

I mentioned a few times with the pink updates, the problems were 100% at our end. But if you're unsure, you can check the Playdates FAQ, http://support.abbywinters.com/playdates-faqs/ (it's new).

We do recommend using Chrome, though if it's working at all, it'll work fine with the latest versions of Firefox, Safari and IE (but not Edge).

Comment

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter

Sign up for the abby newsletter. Don't worry, we'll NEVER share your email address with anyone.
                                                            Working...
                                                            X