Joining videos with different audio bitrates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Joining videos with different audio bitrates

Sorry folks! I should know better than to post when I've had a bad day. Hope you can forgive me.

Can anyone recommend a video joiner tool that will work regardless of audio bitrate differences? Easy video joiner is great, but it's not configurable at all.

EDIT: GSpot says that vid 1 and 2 have video and audio bitrates of 2016 and 192 kbps respectively, while vid 3 has 2015 and 160 kbps.
    Last edited by monster; 1 May 2008, 03:29 PM. Reason: Tried GSpot

Originally posted by monster View Post
    EDIT: GSpot says that vid 1 and 2 have video and audio bitrates of 2016 and 192 kbps respectively, while vid 3 has 2015 and 160 kbps.
    I know, the new vid3 has a bitrate of 192 now you might want to see if that one works for you. Failing that you will have re-encode the files in order to join them. You can also just rename the files so they are in the correct order and drag/drop them into WMP and view them in sequence like that. You don't HAVE to join them to view them as one.

Comment

We're really not sure why vid3 has a different bitrate. The transcoding tool we use give very good results, but it's somewhat cantankerous. We've had a go at a quick fix, but it doesn't seem to have worked. Unfortunately, that's as good as it's going to get - the original media has long been archived and pulling up the files from the archive is an expensive process.

Comment

Hey monster,

Your best bet is probably to do what Frans suggests which is to just drag and drop them in the order you want into Windows Media Player or VLC.

VLC is a pretty great free video player that'll pretty much play anything you throw at it.

I watch our videos that way all the time. The transition from one to the next is seamless and there's no need to join them.

However, I'm curious, what program do you use for joining videos?

Comment

Originally posted by waffyw View Post
          Hey monster,

Your best bet is probably to do what Frans suggests which is to just drag and drop them in the order you want into Windows Media Player or VLC.

VLC is a pretty great free video player that'll pretty much play anything you throw at it.

I watch our videos that way all the time. The transition from one to the next is seamless and there's no need to join them.
          Yeah, but it's nice to be able to skip back and forward all you like.

Originally posted by waffyw View Post
          However, I'm curious, what program do you use for joining videos?

Comment

Yeah, but it's nice to be able to skip back and forward all you like.
            It's possble to do, do you know how to make/run msdos batch files from commandline? If so;
            1. Download Mencoder for Windows
            2. Extract mencoder.exe from the zip to the directory where the wmv files are.
            3. Create batchfile (called say x.bat) in that same directory with as content (those ^ are important/needed ) :

Originally posted by x.bat
              mencoder -quiet -oac mp3lame -lameopts abr:br=192 -ovc copy -idx ^
              -o output.wmv ^
              g_fotina_melindavid1_before.wmv ^
              g_fotina_melindavid1.wmv ^
              g_fotina_melindavid2.wmv ^
              g_fotina_melindavid3.wmv ^
              g_fotina_melindavid1_after.wmv
              pause
            4. Run the batchfile, be aware that this will take 30-60 minutes (and consume about 90-100% of a single core) depending on the cpu-power of your system. What it does is copy the video part as-is and re-encode audio to 192kbit (mp3), outputs to file called output.wmv . The pause is there so you can read errors should they occur.

Hmm.. should prolly move/copy to this to the Tech Support forum. Let's see if it works for you first though
            Last edited by Frans; 2 May 2008, 07:45 PM.

Comment

Joining using mencoder works a charm on linux. I imagine it will work just as well on Windows. Good work Frans

Comment

This sort of works for me. The problem seems to be that mencoder doesn't output an actual wmv file, but an .avi file containing wmv video. This file is actually playable with mplayer, but not with WMP etc.

Here's the output of 'mencoder -of help':

Code:
                l:\abby>mencoder -of help
                MEncoder 1.0rc1-3.4.2 (C) 2000-2006 MPlayer Team
                CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) processor (Family: 6, Model: 4, Stepping: 4)
                CPUflags: Type: 6 MMX: 1 MMX2: 1 3DNow: 1 3DNow2: 1 SSE: 0 SSE2: 0
                Compiled with runtime CPU detection.

Available output formats:
                   avi      - Microsoft Audio/Video Interleaved
                   mpeg     - MPEG-1/2 system stream format
                   lavf     - FFmpeg libavformat muxers
                   rawvideo - (video only, one stream only) raw stream, no muxing
                   rawaudio - (audio only, one stream only) raw stream, no muxing
                No WMV there. I'm using mencoder 1.0RC1 instead of RC2, since that's what I had installed already. But RC2 gives the same output. Any ideas?

Comment

This sort of works for me. The problem seems to be that mencoder doesn't output an actual wmv file, but an .avi file containing wmv video. This file is actually playable with mplayer, but not with WMP etc.
                  That's 'cos it IS avi it is putting out You can't output true wmv anyway, because mencoder cannot encoded wma (window media audio). Here's a silly question; can you play mp3's using WMP? You can savely rename output.wmv to output.avi that will surpress the wmp warning. You didn't stop at the warning did you?

WMP11 plays the file fine for me, including sound even

What exactly does WMP say when you try to play output.avi ? Does gspot report any errors when attempting to render it?

Comment

I tried upgrading to WMP11, but it doesn't help. "Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file." Changing the extension just gets rid the the 'wrong file format' warning.

Does WMP11 actually play back wmv3+mp3 inside an AVI container on your system? In that case, maybe my system is messed up because I've got Nero installed, or something. I know that installs some codecs.

Here's a screenshot of what it looks like in gspot after I've pressed the button "MS A/V 1". I've not included the before/after videos when joining, so the file is a bit smaller than you'd expect.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Try clicking the seperate Vid 1 and Aud 1 buttons (left of the MS one). The Vid one likely will succeed and the Aud one will report some error. The logging window will show what it tries to do and how it fails. Be sure to make the window as wide as possible so it fits the lines, gspot doesn't let you copy/paste appearantly

(installing ffdshow will likely fix the problem but that's rather drastic if it's just one codec missing)

Comment

Here's everything, in order: aud 1, aud 2, vid 1, vid 2. Hope you can make sense of it.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Hmm.. yeah Nero seems to try to decode the video, no idea why it would do that. The audio should work though. Easiest for you would be to use either VLC or MPlayer as mediaplayer. Better is prolly to install ffdshow and use that to decode most stuff except WM-Video (Microsoft's codecs do that better).

Can you in fact play a regular mp3 audio-only file using WMP at the moment?

Comment

I have no problem playing mp3's.

If I can't join the files and get a file that media player can play out of the box, or at least a file that's not something weird like wmv inside an avi, I think maybe I'll just keep the files without joining them. Gets messy when you have hundreds of AW videos in a directory, though.

Comment

Most of the other clips at AW should join together just fine. Not sure why these don't, sorry

Comment

Oh well. The Kiki and Shee-Ra videos have the same issue. Different audio bitrates.

Comment

Oh well. The Kiki and Shee-Ra videos have the same issue. Different audio bitrates.
                                  Yeah saw it and reported it, all vids should have 192 kbit as far as I know. The re-encode trick doesn't work for you on those files either?

Comment

I found a new joining tool called AsfBin. When trying to join g_fotina_melindavid2.wmv and g_fotina_melindavid3.wmv, it stops with the error message "Compatibility error: audio block aligns are different." Not sure if that tells you anything. I'm just posting this for future reference, in case you want to tweak your encoder settings or something.

Comment

I found a new joining tool called AsfBin. When trying to join g_fotina_melindavid2.wmv and g_fotina_melindavid3.wmv, it stops with the error message "Compatibility error: audio block aligns are different." Not sure if that tells you anything. I'm just posting this for future reference, in case you want to tweak your encoder settings or something.
                                      Yes this is a known issue, actually this entire thread was created because of said issue

AsfBin is a tool which can only glue existing movies together. For that to work the movies have to have the same charachteristics (audio/video). If that is not the case you'll have to re-encode the movie, as explained above. The result should work for most people but unfortunately not for all

Comment

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter

Sign up for the abby newsletter. Don't worry, we'll NEVER share your email address with anyone.
                                      Working...
                                      X