Any movies you were disappointed in?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any movies you were disappointed in?

You know the feeling when there is a movie you really want to see because you heard good things about it from friends/family, read good reviews about it, you thought it was going to be cool because watching the trailer was so promising or u did read the premise and found it really interesting. If that is so than you will probably have come across movies that really didn't meet ur (high) expectations and left u very disappointed. If so which movies did?

For me it would be
    The Ghost Busters: real hit in the eighties and I woudl have liked it back than I bet but seeing it like 5 years ago I found it cringeworthy despite I always loved the song and thought the animated version was cool
    Blair Witch Project: Really scary a few family members told me, I was so bored out of my skull watching it
    The Bridge to Terabithia: well the trailer seemed like it was a nice fantasy movie, where children went into a secret fantasy world, well it proved to be something so different and way too sad
    Sydney White: seeing the trailer and thinking this was going to be like "She's the Man" in which Amanda Bynes was sublime, well Sydney White made me chuckle only lightly
    The Goonies: another movie I never saw as kid but I felt I had to see it, I can't remember much of it, I found it pretty dumb and boring
    Big Fish: a father telling stories, fairy tales. Now that sounds good as a premise. Too bad the stories were flat, boring and not leading anywhere in my opinion.
    Poltergeist: a classic and I thought I was in for some good horror, I thought it was boring though

One of mine was World War Z,i really loved the book and have read it a few times and was looking forward to the film,however it didn't really follow the story from the book,it was an ok film,Brad Pitt was decent in it but yes I was disappointed with the movie.

Comment

Originally posted by freestyle550 View Post
      One of mine was World War Z,i really loved the book and have read it a few times and was looking forward to the film,however it didn't really follow the story from the book,it was an ok film,Brad Pitt was decent in it but yes I was disappointed with the movie.
      I haven't read the book nor watched the movie yet, but from what I've heard from my friends: If they just would have named it differently with no connection to the Book, it was a fine movie.

Comment

Latest Superman film - did he even do anything that Superman would do in the whole film, he rescued no one! The film makers promised real locations V CGI and instead gave us real locations filled with CGI - sigh!

Also I came to the Alien films long after you were supposed to watch them and they did not live up to the hype - I think you had to be there.

On a slight off note though I recently watched Jaws for the very first time and that film is amazing 100% stood the test of time.

Comment

Originally posted by masie View Post
          Also I came to the Alien films long after you were supposed to watch them and they did not live up to the hype - I think you had to be there.
          Ditto, watched them 1-2 years ago for the first time. The suspense in the first two Alien movies still holds up for me, but some of the Special Effects really are outdated. Plus after a while you know: "IT IS NOT DEAD & will continue coming after you Ripley!

Many American friends are praising "The Princess Bride" to the sky. Though when I watched it the story, the characters...the whole movie felt hokey and I was having difficulties to finish it.

Comment

Interesting, Mase, in that just recently I brought the original, 1974 Jaws classic into my edit workstation to clean up the language & stuff in order to ready it for air. Great Spielberg movie and Jaws was a milestone in bringing the concept of going to the theatre to see a movie back to life back in a time when it appeared that there had been a decline in moviegoing interests mainly due to television.

But more on-topic now, folks... Movies where I was disappointed in the movie despite the overall promising look of the movie's trailers or critics reviews...

Avatar: Perhaps the hype it was generating was overshadowing the overall, hum-drum and predictiveness of the story as I perceived it and I'm with Masie on her sentiments on CG. I agree with most folks out there that Hollywood has been relying too much on CG these days and it's nothing new.

Howard the Duck: Seemed like a great comedy and an rather unique concept that, on paper would seem good, but this movie was a mess. Starts out good enough but then the movie sifts from being cute & funny to being mindless & stupid then it shifts from that to being gross in a few moments, then it shifts from that to being a silly, very dated, 80's style music video. Well- the movie was produced in the 80s but aside of that I perceived it as being a movie storyline and marketing concept that was composed of a mishmash of movie producer's ideas that unfortunately clashed and the overall, original concept was wasted by the general cheapness the end product seemed to reflect on the screen.

I'll post more as we go along as there are quite a few.

Comment

Wolf, to appreciate Avatar, you have to see it in the theater in 3-D. The 3-D aspect was 50% of the movie. Not only were the colors more vivid, but the 3-D effect was outstanding. To sit in the theater and watch those colorful, floating creatures flying towards you and all around you was amazing! I've seen some of the older 3-D movies, but this new 3-D is a huge leap forward.

As for movies I've been disappointed in, well that would have to be The Matrix. That movie made no sense to me at all. When I was walking out of the theater with my daughter and her husband, she asked me how I liked it. I told her I had no idea as to what I had just seen.

Typically for me, when I watch a movie, all I expect from the movie is to be entertained. I don't care if the movie is far fetched....if it's not historically accurate....if it's gory.....if it's corny, whatever. As long as I am entertained by it, then it's okay with me.

Comment

My husband and I have been marathon watching tv and movies while we're waiting for him to feel better, so we've watched a few classics.

Majorly disappointed by Saturday Night Fever and Silence of the Lambs. Maybe high hopes are the downfall of us all. I enjoyed the recent Hannibal series, which is why we watched Silence of the Lambs. Best part of Saturday Night Fever was unquestionably the soundtrack. Even the dancing was unimpressive, albeit amusing.

Dropshop, I think its hard to watch The Princess Bride for the first time as an adult. I saw it when I was 7 and thought it was the greatest movie ever made. Now it will always be something I love for that reason. I think there are a lot of older movies that we cherish like that, and if you don't understand the basis for that feeling, you won't get it.

Comment

Saturday Night Fever was a major disappointment for me as well, from the first I saw it on in the theatre its opening day back in 1976.

Although I really love the original, 1977 Close Encounters of the Third Kind frm the first time I saw it at the movie theatre, I HATED what the film's producers did to the film when they re-released Close Encounters to the theatres in 70mm back in 1980. The producers added scenes to the 1980 version that were totally mindless and stupid and would've been better remaining on the cuttingroom floor plus the producers took out what I thought were important scenes to the movie. Some things are better left alone, sometimes.

Comment

Wolfgang I love that you saw Howard the Duck expecting a good film - I now will forever see you as an optimist!

Comment

oh yes Howard the duck with lea thomsom ,wasnt a perfect film but in my mind I liked it and wanted to see it again

Comment

Originally posted by renae_d View Post
                        Dropshop, I think its hard to watch The Princess Bride for the first time as an adult. I saw it when I was 7 and thought it was the greatest movie ever made. Now it will always be something I love for that reason. I think there are a lot of older movies that we cherish like that, and if you don't understand the basis for that feeling, you won't get it.
                        Yeah, of course. Things you have watched in your childhood often hold a higher place, even when you revisit it as an adult. The some goes for me and like Bud Spencer + Terence Hill movies. Even nowadays the brawl fights are looking soo staged I still have fun with them.

That is also why I'm cautious to watch movies like from the 60s or 70s like Papillion or The Good, the Bad and the Ugly even though I have heard they are great classics.

Originally posted by masie View Post
                        Wolfgang I love that you saw Howard the Duck expecting a good film - I now will forever see you as an optimist!
                        Heh, that is a LucasFilm movie I've missed so far. Plus American Graffiti, Labyrinth, Willow, Radioland Murders & Red Tails.

So Howard the Duck...more or less fun for you than Indy IV?

Comment

Originally posted by dropshop View Post
                          ...So Howard the Duck...more or less fun for you than Indy IV?
                          Less fun for me than any of the Indy movies.

Okay I will ad Crocodile Dundee II as being one film I was disappointed in, mainly because and since the first Crocodile Dundee movie was done so well (IMO) and had a fun storyline but for some reason the sequal just didn't live up to the original, as is many times the case with sequals.

Comment

i have to go with the Newer star wars films...... I had tears in my eyes within the 1st 5 mins when i realised how bad they fucked that up...

Comment

Originally posted by wolfgangbuster29 View Post
                              Less fun for me than any of the Indy movies.
                              Then you better not watch the 3rd installation. Dunno if I had first watched the 2nd one. Though if the "bigger knife" scene still is in the Crocodile Dundee II it will still have a place in my memory.

Originally posted by LeaAW View Post
                              i have to go with the Newer star wars films...... I had tears in my eyes within the 1st 5 mins when i realised how bad they fucked that up...
                              Was waiting to see who will be the first to mention them.

I agree, especially if you have watched the Original Trilogy first and based your expectations from there, the Prequel Trilogy movies will most likely disappoint you. The themes like politics, aren't what we were used to (Rebels = good, Empire = bad, Vader = bad to the bone). Since I was in my teen years during 1999-2005 I see the flaws in dialogue ("No, it's because I'm so in love with you."), of course Jar-Jar and that it wasn't as much fun with a character like Han Solo. Nonetheless even though it differs from the Original Trilogy, I can see it as its own entity in the Star Wars Universe and over time some people might lessen their initial very strong negative reaction. I know the movies should stand on their own for telling the story. Though since I was reading some of the EU (Expanded Universe) Novels placed in that time-frame, I can appreciate the complexity of how the corrupt democracy turned into a dictatorship and how the Sith won (for a period) with the insights from books like Darth Plagueis or Labyrinth of Evil.

Are you still interested in watching the new ones in a few years?

Comment

Absolutely loved the LOTR trilogy but was less than impressed with the first Hobbit film when I watched it earlier this year,hope the next one is better.

Comment

Originally posted by dropshop View Post

Are you still interested in watching the new ones in a few years?
                                  No way. Lucas sold the rights to Disney and i have no interest in watching them mess with "the wars"

I did see a film that almost made it ok that the new star wars films are shit. The movie being "FanBoys" about a group of young guys who drive cross country to steal a copy of EP1 from George lucas' ranch.
                                  The end of the movie of course they are watching Ep 1 for the first time and the last thing the main character says makes me laugh "what if the move is shit?"
                                  Fanboys made me feel better about EP1.

Comment

Originally posted by freestyle550 View Post
                                    Absolutely loved the LOTR trilogy but was less than impressed with the first Hobbit film when I watched it earlier this year,hope the next one is better.
                                    i Agree, i was looking forward to the Hobbit, and found it fell short

Comment

No way. Lucas sold the rights to Disney... *snip*
                                      This actually makes me hopeful. Lucas was the problem, and he's just cut himself out. Disney, as a production studio, has a great record of aquiring franchises and giving them what they need to blossom. A very recent example that comes to mind is their aquisition of Marvel, and subsequent production of The Avengers. Disney may yet rescue Star Wars.

Anyway as to the OP... I thought long and hard and came up empty. I get angry at how disappointing some films are, but I also seem to purge them from my memory. I can't recall any of the frequent incidences of nerd-rage-inciting badness on the part of a film.

Comment

Originally posted by Brent View Post
                                        This actually makes me hopeful. Lucas was the problem, and he's just cut himself out. Disney, as a production studio, has a great record of aquiring franchises and giving them what they need to blossom. A very recent example that comes to mind is their aquisition of Marvel, and subsequent production of The Avengers. Disney may yet rescue Star Wars...
                                        In many instances that's the way things go with Disney because they have a wonderful track record for adding and/or restoring a means of creative and innovative production flair to a production company, even if it's an huge company such s Lucas.

A good example of this would be Muppetvision-3D. Back in the 90's Disney managed to breathe new life into Jim Henson's concept of the Muppets so that their legacy would be well-received by new generations to come. Children of many folks who fell in love with the Muppets when they were kids.

Disney did it again a few years back when they re-vamped Star Tours and worked many of the Star Wars most popular characters into the ride storyline. Gone now is Pee-Wee Herman as the voice of the clumsy navigator robot as that in itself got to be very repetative and predictable.

Okay, pressing on with the topic but still on a Disney-related theme when it comes to films, I have to say I was grossly disappointed in Ellen's Energy Adventure. Now Ellen Degeneres is cool, I like her alot and she is very funny but she just wasn't funny in this show, neither was the show itself funny as Disney intended it to be nor is the show anywhere near as entertaining and memorable as the original show that was in that pavilion before 1998 when the original show was changed out for the Ellen version. Disneygoers and Epcot fans have been screaming and chanting for Disney Imagineers to restore that pavilion to its original glory for some time now. The concept of funny worked for The Timekeeper (Robin Williams) over in Magic Kingdom but I'm afraid it just didn't work for Ellen, Bill Nye and Alex Trebek over in Ellen's Energy Adventure.

Comment

I did see a film that almost made it ok that the new star wars films are shit. The movie being "FanBoys" about a group of young guys who drive cross country to steal a copy of EP1 from George lucas' ranch.
                                          The end of the movie of course they are watching Ep 1 for the first time and the last thing the main character says makes me laugh "what if the move is shit?"
                                          Fanboys made me feel better about EP1.
                                          Hehe, yeah Fanboys was a fun take on it. I've chatted a few times with that movies Director Kyle Newman about football or how the release for Fanboys went in Germany.

Originally posted by Brent View Post
                                          This actually makes me hopeful. Lucas was the problem, and he's just cut himself out. Disney, as a production studio, has a great record of aquiring franchises and giving them what they need to blossom. A very recent example that comes to mind is their aquisition of Marvel, and subsequent production of The Avengers. Disney may yet rescue Star Wars.
                                          I was skeptical when the merger + new movies were announced a year ago. But like you said, the acquisition of Marvel didn't hurt the production of Phase 1 & 2 and Marvel Studios was allowed to continue working independently under the roof of Disney. But without any of the feared Disneyfication. In a recent interview with GL's son, he mentioned that his dad wants to let a new generation of creative minds steer the Star Wars brand. Though at the same time his role as consultant gives him a capacity (dunno to which degree) to oversee it. Like the analogy when your kid leaves town for attending a college. During the Prequels, who dared to say: "Hmmm, George...I don't think that is a good idea."
                                          With Kathleen Kennedy as chief at LucasFilm I am optimistically hopeful that they won't screw it up and that they might manage to win back some fans. Of course they should take risks and not play it too safe to please everybody.

Comment

Just an odd bit:
                                            There is a connection between Disney and Ghostbusters.
                                            "Ghostbusters" was originally a Disney cartoon, from way back in the 1930's.
                                            The title was a takeoff on a popular radio show "Crime (?) busters". The cartoon was a short, in Disney's extra-full color, and featured Goofy, Donald Duck and Mickey Mouse.

Comment

I was let down by LOTR, especially the ending.
                                              The point of the book was that despite their best efforts (the best efforts of the "good"), the 4 Hobbits returned to a Shire in ruination. "Evil" is always around to piss on the birthday cake.
                                              PJ, in his true-to-the-book form, threw in just enough cutesy to wreck the mood of a very moody and non-cute book.

Comment

Originally posted by devonian2 View Post
                                                I was let down by LOTR, especially the ending.
                                                The point of the book was that despite their best efforts (the best efforts of the "good"), the 4 Hobbits returned to a Shire in ruination. "Evil" is always around to piss on the birthday cake.
                                                PJ, in his true-to-the-book form, threw in just enough cutesy to wreck the mood of a very moody and non-cute book.
                                                Good did overcome evil in the Shire at the end,the 4 hobbits were battle hardened after their exploits and overthrew the invaders,good always wins in the end even in lotr

Comment

Well after having been very pleased, even amazed with the first Superman movie that came out in 1979, you can bet I was eagerly awaiting the promised, Superman II sequal. Superman II was fairly good but didn't really have the sort of magic and charm that the 1979 Superman had. Superman III-3D was a total joke and for some reason the 3D seemed to further cheapen the overall presentation. You can bet I was disappointed in III. IV was a mite better and at least a step back into the right direction of being an entertaining film.

I have not yet seen the 2013 Superman (or did it come out in 2012?) but I have the newly-released Blu-Ray now I and and Liz are gonna check it out today.

Comment

After having watched Gravity yesterday I got reminded how disappointed I was by Drive last year. Maybe the trailer influenced my expectations so much, that the movie itself was way different. Beautifully shot and fine acted, but the story itself left me perplexed and wondering why I went to see it on the big screen.

Comment

Definitely Pacific Rim. I was so disappointed in the dialogue and the stereotypes, the lack of conversation between women and the lack of women in the movie over all. I love a good action robot movie, but otherwise it kinda sucked.

Comment

30 days of night.

It was just so awful.

I think the problem I had with it was that I expected the vampires to be scary, sexy, elegant, messing-with-your-mind, genius-serial-killer types and they were basically ravening zombies. So it was roughly an hour of gore- and jump-scares.

Comment

Originally posted by BrodieR View Post
                                                          Definitely Pacific Rim. I was so disappointed in the dialogue and the stereotypes, the lack of conversation between women and the lack of women in the movie over all. I love a good action robot movie, but otherwise it kinda sucked.
                                                          I see your point and agree that the story and characters weren't sophisticated. Rewatched it last night it still remains one of the most fun movies I remember and I wish the director can produce another movie in that universe. Alone the soundtrack, visuals (also in 3D) and action scenes (where you actually see what is happening compared to in Michael Bay movies) are enough to satisfy me, although normally I expect more from the script as well.

Comment

On the flip side I really didn't expect much from the new Tom Hanks film Captain Phillips but i thought it was a very good movie,Hanks was superb and will surely be in the Oscar running.

Comment

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter

Sign up for the abby newsletter. Don't worry, we'll NEVER share your email address with anyone.
                                                            Working...
                                                            X