No announcement yet.

Cool/Interesting Links and Pic's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With Christmas right around the corner, I thought I'd share something I had found (something tells me I did post this in the forums last year but several search methods didn't turn up any results so here goes), and it's also something that brings back fond memories.

Sometime back in the 1980s, a fellow named Lorne Greene, best known for his starring role in the hit TV series Bonanza, recorded a whole bunch of short featurettes that were themed entirely to Christmas. I remember this featurette from many years ago at a station I was a producer at and we ran this series every Holiday season.

These are great to hear and also great to have and I am so glad I have found all 30 episodes of this featurette series because they are indeed golden and priceless.

So here we are, Lorne Green wishing us The Spirit of Christmas.

Enjoy.

Comment

Originally posted by wolfgangbuster29 View Post
      Sometime back in the 1980s, a fellow named Lorne Greene, best known for his starring role in the hit TV series Bonanza
      Bonanza? BONANZA?
      You show some RESPECT when you're talking about Colonel Adama, classic, son!

Comment

SPIDER UNDERNEATH PUBLIC RESTROOM TOILET SEAT

Some are saying the spiders in this are generated by computer animations, and the spiders were not real but whaddaya think? I looked at this a couple of times and if the spiders are CG then it's a damn good and convincing CG job, though something tells me the spiders were not CG.

Comment

oh so real wjth some and not others
          Attached Files

Comment

NEW POISONOUS SPIDER IN THE UNITED STATES

A spider bite...please read............ And you thought the brown recluse was bad!

Three women in North Florida, tur...ned up at hospitals over a 5-day period, all with the same symptoms. Fever, chills, and vomiting, followed by muscular collapse, paralysis, and finally, death. There were no outward signs of trauma.

Autopsy results showed toxicity in the blood. These women did not know each other, and seemed to have nothing in common. It was discovered, however, that they had all visited the same Restaurant (Olive Garden) within days of their deaths.
            The health department descended on the restaurant, shutting it down. The food, water, and air conditioning were all inspected and tested, to no avail.

The big break came when a waitress at the restaurant was rushed to the hospital with similar symptoms. She told doctors that she had been on vacation, and had only went to the restaurant to pick up her check. She did not eat or drink while she was there, but had used the restroom.

That is when one toxicologist, remembering an article he had read, drove out to the restaurant, went into the restroom, and lifted the toilet seat.
            Under the seat, out of normal view, was a small spider.

The spider was captured and brought back to the lab, where it was determined to be the Two-Striped Telamonia (Telamonia dimidiata), so named because of its reddened flesh color. This spider's venom is extremely toxic, but can take several days to take effect. They live in cold, dark, damp climates, and toilet rims provide just the right atmosphere.
            Several days later a lawyer from Jacksonville showed up at a hospital emergency room. Before his death, he told the doctor, that he had been away on business, had taken a flight from Indonesia, changing planes in Singapore, before returning home.
            He did not visit (Olive Garden), while there. He did, as did all of the other victims, have what was determined to be a puncture wound, on his right buttock.
            Investigators discovered that the flight he was on had originated in India.
            The Civilian Aeronautics Board (CAB) ordered an immediate inspection of the toilets of all flights from India, and discovered the Two-Striped Telamonia (Telamonia dimidiata) spider's nests on 4 different planes!
            It is now believed that these spiders can be anywhere in the country. So please, before you use a public toilet, lift the seat to check for spiders. It can save your life!
            And please pass this on to everyone you care about.

Comment

and the spider is here
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by sterling2 View Post
                and the spider is here
                And right next to that picture is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telamonia_dimidiata something about a Hoax Relax, toilets are safe from this particular spider

Comment

Originally posted by Frans View Post
                  And right next to that picture is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telamonia_dimidiata something about a Hoax Relax, toilets are safe from this particular spider
                  Still it's something that helps us stay keen on that sort of thing and be on the lookout, especially in warmer climates where poisonous spiders are more common. And yes they do hang out around plumbing fixtures such as toilets, especially in settings like recreational parks.

Comment

Quadrophonic sound on the Medium Wave band? This fun little experimental broadcast just last year on a station in Coralsville Iowa broadcasting in C-Quam stereo proves that surround sound can be possible... on an AM station!

This was an experimental broadcast to see if Quadraphonic Sound (using Dolby Pro-Logic II) could encoded, transmitted, received and successfully decoded back into…

Who said AM radio was dead or couldn't deliver excellent sound???

Comment

gootta read it first
                      Attached Files

Comment

junk in the trucnk
                        Attached Files

Comment

Servers!

This is a look at the Facebook servers.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Geez-a-loo... I wonder if the Abbywinters servers are of this magnitude, given its immense popularity.

Comment

something has comeup ,you know all those smart phone are not good for photo taking Because it leaves a trail of wher e it was taken and time so all those pics have a story to tell behind for the crooks and thieves out there becareful what you post and who it is until you know more about this look here[[http://youtu.be/N2vARzvWxwY
                            Last edited by sterling2; 14 August 2013, 02:39 PM.

Comment

Fastest draw ever. I wonder how he would have done back during the wild west days?

Comment

one last show to go but this is what I've been doing with my time!
                                Ola Bitcholas, Gringos and Chincana's, its time to get your dirty sanchez on North of the border, at a crazy little place that I know, where the drinks are…

Comment

Lea, you go, girl! That's some awesome dancing!

Comment

FREE THE NIPPLE!

A very brave young lady has set out on a mission to not only make a movie that puts a good, positive message out there about moral acceptance of the female breast and battling censorship, but she has also launched a campaign that is to help balance the scales of justice when it comes to the issue of why it should be morally and legally acceptable for females to be shirtless just as males are allowed to be shirtless.

Here's a preview to her upcoming movie, which is slated for release in June of this year.

I believe the young lady is onto a very good and worthy cause, but I'm also interested in hearing your thoughts on this as well.

Comment

I will probably be in the minority here, but I disagree with this woman and her attempts to expose her breasts in public, claiming that it's an equal right. No it is not an equal right. Yes, men can go about shirtless in public, but they don't have breasts like women do. It's no different than if a man were to put on a skimpy woman's bikini bottom and walk around in public with half his balls and his dick hanging out of the bikini bottom. Just because one sex can do something doesn't mean the the other sex can do the same thing....they don't have the same anatomies. A man can go shirtless in public because his breasts aren't hanging down like a woman's breasts are. A shirtless man has nothing out of the ordinary to see, but a shirtless woman does. If you saw a man walking in public with no shirt on, would you stare at him? No you wouldn't. If you saw a woman with no shirt on, would you stare at her? You bet you would, and that's why women shouldn't be allowed to go shirtless in public....the two are not the same thing.

Look at it like this....do you find that a man's breasts are sexually arousing? Most likely not. Do you find that a woman's breasts are sexually arousing? Most likely so, so that's all that needs to be said. A man's breasts aren't viewed as sexual organs, but a woman's breasts are. THAT's the difference!

Comment

Meh.. I think it was already decided in NewYork at least that woman can walk around shirt-less. To bad it's rarely the ones you would *want* to do that though. I'm not all that much in favor of men walking around without shirts either though. Pretty much the same issue usually. Why would it be so hard to just dress when you go into public areas ? For some countries common decency has to be written into law it seems, oh well.

Above all it's a topic I don't deem worthy of that much effort, let alone expending silly amounts of money on court cases and the like. If women want to walk around shirtless, fine...have fun with it. Do expect to be looked at however, no complaining about that allowed.

This is a fun thread, haven't read it for a while.. the Daffy pic above is fun. Hmm.. have I posted the oddly shaped trophy pic here yet? I've posted it somewhere on forum for sure. Long loooong ago.

Comment

Here is a link to a man with an outstanding voice.

Comment

Then there is this link to an amazing 9 year old girl.(at least there are English subtitles.) Oh, and if you watch the video to the end, she tells everyone that she's never had a singing lesson in her life....she taught herself by listening to YouTube videos. Maybe another Jackie Evancho?
                                            Last edited by Dekoda; 8 March 2014, 12:19 AM.

Comment

How many among us can remember this video format from the 1980s? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEd5h4wci70 This is a demo disc that used to play in TV retail stores. It was the official introduction to a new home video product back in 1981.

Comment

Originally posted by wolfgangbuster29 View Post
                                                How many among us can remember this video format from the 1980s? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEd5h4wci70 This is a demo disc that used to play in TV retail stores. It was the official introduction to a new home video product back in 1981.
                                                I remember the videodisk format. While I never had one, I often wondered how it would look on my TV. The videodisk was about the size of an LP record album, and you inserted the disk, which was still inside it's box, into the player and the player would eject the box. Matter of fact, the factory where I worked, had training sessions on videodisks. At that time, I thought the company needed to update their training sessions and get rid of the videodisks and go with DVDs, as the videodisks were being phased out.

Comment

Originally posted by Dekoda View Post
                                                  I remember the videodisk format. While I never had one, I often wondered how it would look on my TV. The videodisk was about the size of an LP record album, and you inserted the disk, which was still inside it's box, into the player and the player would eject the box. Matter of fact, the factory where I worked, had training sessions on videodisks. At that time, I thought the company needed to update their training sessions and get rid of the videodisks and go with DVDs, as the videodisks were being phased out.
                                                  In the beginning of RCA's SelectAvision CED product rollout in 1981, immediately the format had its advantages over other formats. The players were considerably more affordable than VCRs at the time, as VCRs were still priced at around $800 to $1000 at that time. The SelectAvision CED videodisc players had an introductory price of $499 for its entry-level and very basic SFT100 player. Discs were also quite alot more affordable as the were priced in a range of $15 to $40 while VHS and Betamax prerecorded tapes were in a price range on $60 to over $100 just for a copy of a recent movie when you could get the same movie on disc for $19 on sale.

Picture quality on the SelectAvision CED disc system was markedly better than VHS and so was the sound, at that time because VHS sound technology at the time left alot to be desired. A few years later, RCA began releasing great, recent movies and classic movies in stereo. Some of those movies that had the stereo soundtracks could be decoded to surround sound, much the way movie theatres did back in those days. Sound on CED videodiscs released after 1982 were just as good as they were at the movie theatre. Here in the US, the only thing in Home Video that could surpass the quality of SelectAvision CED was laserdisc. Meanwhile in Japan there was a mighty nice videodisc format called VHD, ironically manufactured by Japan Victor Corporation (JVC), RCA's Japan consumer electronics counterpart. VHD was test-marketed in very few select cities here in the States but RCA already had a head-start with its CED system.

I owned RCA's SGT500, which at the time was top-of-the-line. It offered two-channel stereo audio outputs and composite video output for connection to a monitor for a much, much clearer picture than if connected to the monitor via the coaxial cable.

The CED videodisc system did enjoy an rather robust, yet short-lived, popularity amongst home theatre buffs and movie lovers, but RCA ran out of money to continue further developing and improving the SelectAvision CED product. RCA plunged millions upon millions of dollars in manufacturing, advertising campaigns, the opening of repair shops everywhere specially equipped to repair CED disc players, as well as incentives for retailers to sell the heck out of these players in order to receive huge cash rewards and dreamy vacation packages arranged for the winning retailers who managed to sell X-number of players within X-amount of time.

As for consumer appeal, although the CED system did offer nice picture and sound quality as compared to VHS, one of the key turnoffs with the format is that occasionally some minor skipping would be noticed during playback. Many times the skipping would be brief and sporadic and if the area that skipped was played again, the disc would not skip. Very strange. However later player models, such as those from RCA's SJT and SKT generations, had a skip prevention feature and an improved tracking mechanism.

I have gathered recently that the CED format is alive and well in the Philippines and is being manufactured by Dyna. The intro logos people are used to seeing at the start of every RCA SelectAvision CED disc have been modified for the Philippines market to exclude the RCA branding.

One other nice thing about CED disc movies, there weren't the annoying FBI warnings and all those preview commercials at the start of the disc, your movie immediately began playing right after the logo.

Could the SelectAvision CED format have been able to keep up with the times? Quite possibly so, since basically the disc itself held a composite, analogue TV signal. Much the way videotape did. Digital TV, even HD video TVsignals, take up considerably less bandwidth than a traditional analogue signal, so not only would there be plenty of room on the disc to store the digital signal that would be the movie on the disc, but there'd be room for lots of extras, or even longer playing time, it would seem. Thus would've eliminated the need to turn a video disc over halfway through a movie, as it was with CED discs as well as laserdiscs and VHD discs back in the day. Imagine, a SelectAvision disc that had the entire movie on side one and lots of extras and perhaps even some games and interactive goodies on side two.

Comment

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter

Sign up for the abby newsletter. Don't worry, we'll NEVER share your email address with anyone.
                                                  Working...
                                                  X