What are you listening/reading/watching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Meridian View Post
    Umberto Eco is great, i have problems with his (i think) last book, i don't know the english title (in german "die geheimnisvolle flamme der koenigin loanna (google knows more and a lot), it's interesting to know more about the italian fascism, we are focused in germany in the nacism, but there are much more facettes. At the moment I read Eric Hobsbawn's "Dangereous Times" ( I also don't know the original titel .......... , i got it know "Interesting times" (it's always interesting , how the titles change in different languages))

I read that book by Eco and really loved it! It had so many memories of Europe during the postwar years.
    I loved the bit where he didnt know if his assistant was his lover ? nice bit of tension the whole book was facinating I lent it to my Italian friend to read he is into comics and the like.

I t reminded me of when we got our FIRST donald duck comics in holland the book is full of reminders . Kant is a bit thicker the platipus a little more obscure lol

Comment

Originally posted by OfCanada View Post
      I've played his Brass Sextet. I like a lot of his music. I think as far as the last 20 years I'm more of a John Adams fan actually, but I like playing Phillip Glass because he does a lot of chamber stuff, which we can play more easily. You ever hear of John Adams? Also, Steve Reich?

I'll also take the opportunity to stick in a 'What are you playing' plug because I'm pretty excited about it...

I get to play Sleeping Beauty by Tchaikovsky.

I got a bit of Steve Reich.. my son was born to the tune of steve's 'drumming' I particularly love the piece he wrote for anvils that lovely ringing overtone I will check out John Adams and report

So, do you know Egberto Gismonte and Jan Gabarek Nana Vasconcelos I got into checking out the artists on the ECM label get a lot of great work there!!

Comment

Originally posted by wannadance View Post
        mango, tell me about glass' complete works set..where did you get it and about how much was it? man...i'd love that.

of course i also want the newer grene and lattimore translations of the entire greek tragedies, since mine have either fallen apart or disappeared over the years, since, um 1959....jeez.

and i know what instrument Of Canada plays!!!!! how could i forget??? how are ya, guy?? bail into any furniture lately? i pulled out my 'euphonium' knowledge the other day and blew someone's mind. FUN!

again, this reminds me of pee: ewephonium....i have written him several times but raised no reply, although that was during the landscaping season...

dancer
        Did I say complete works??? .... damm I did I meant anyworks!!!! I do have Aknathen the set and Einstein on the beach, Kundun, the photographer, music from liquid days! Koyanasquatsi, Powasquatsi and more.

Comment

New Author

"Mr Gaunt, and other uneasy encounters" - by John Langan.

New horror writer on the scene....

Comment

Originally posted by wannadance View Post
            mango, tell me about glass' complete works set..where did you get it and about how much was it? man...i'd love that.
            It's called Glass Box. That much Phillip Glass (or Adams, or Reich) would be a bit much for me..

g

Comment

Elliott Brood. Their drummer used to use a fucking suitcase with a pedal for a bass drum. If that's not awesome, Canada doesn't exist.

Comment

Aerobics : oz style is on again (sky sports 3) it's a great show.

Comment

Elliott Brood. Their drummer used to use a fucking suitcase with a pedal for a bass drum. If that's not awesome, Canada doesn't exist.
                  Well, they're not the Arrogant Worms, but they'll do.

Comment

Aux francophonie, quel est votre avis d'elle?

Comment

I guess this thread is where I should put this post. I've been spending quite some time watching this...

Some guy put together this awesome list of many classic videos and websites that went viral.

Remember the dancing baby? And "All Your Base Are Belong to Us"? How about the Star Wars Kid? They're all here, from the ridiculous to the mundane (my other choice of thread).
                      Start from the top and work your way down.

Originally posted by OfCanada
                      Aux francophonie, quel est votre avis d'elle?
                      What d'elle, I'd like to quel the avis in her francophone, for sure! What a cutie, and she's got a balcony you can recite Shakespeare from! What's that language she's speaking, Italian?
                      Last edited by arsby; 26 February 2009, 10:26 PM.

Comment

Right now I am listening to a CD of the string quartets of Alexander Borodin while I work.

凧ちゃん

Comment

Originally posted by takochan View Post
                          Right now I am listening to a CD of the string quartets of Alexander Borodin while I work.
                          Strictly speaking you should say "I am listening to a CD of Borodin and checking out the AW boards while I work."

Better watch those work habits, TC. Though it could be worse; you could be checking out the AW models while you work.

Comment

Originally posted by ggg123 View Post
                            It's called Glass Box. That much Phillip Glass (or Adams, or Reich) would be a bit much for me..

g
                            I dont know i have had days of onlu glass music it becomes sort of trancy??

Comment

Originally posted by arsby View Post
                              Strictly speaking you should say "I am listening to a CD of Borodin and checking out the AW boards while I work."
                              I stand corrected — er, no, in the interests of achieving arsbyesque standards of accuracy, make that "sit corrected"

Originally posted by arsby View Post
                              Strictly speaking you should say "I am listening to a CD of Borodin and checking out the AW boards while I wBetter watch those work habits, TC. Though it could be worse; you could be checking out the AW models while you work.
                              Worse???...

Be that as it may, the music has changed, though it's still Russian: Rachmaninov Symphonic Dances for Two Pianos

Now back work...

凧ちゃん

Comment

Listening To Treasury Library by Woodpigeon

Reading Drood by Dan Simmons

Watching Little Dorrit

Comment

Originally posted by dustysky View Post
                                  Listening To Treasury Library by Woodpigeon

Reading Drood by Dan Simmons

Watching Little Dorrit
                                  Holy crap, you know about Woodpigeon? I'm actually super super impressed. How did you find out about them?

Comment

Holy crap, you know about Woodpigeon? I'm actually super super impressed. How did you find out about them?
                                    Read the review of the disc in Mojo and listened to it at allmusic. I always check out the review sections in the various music mags.
                                    If you know of anything else I might like based on the sound of Woodpigeon I would appreciate it!

Comment

Listening:
                                      Brian Eno & David Byrne: My Life in the Bush of Ghosts
                                      MIA: Arular
                                      Brian Eno: Taking Tiger Mountain (By Strategy); Music for Airports

(Re)Reading:
                                      David Mitchell: Cloud Atlas (then his Black Swan Green- which I haven't read yet).
                                      J. M. DeMatteis, Glenn Barr, and Jon J. Muth: Seekers Into the Mystery (Comic)

Watching: ((Re)Watching- bar Dollhouse)
                                      All things JossWhedon(tm): Buffy, Firefly (& Serenity), Dr Horrible's Sing Along Blog, Dollhouse (which I'm liking so far- interested in where it might go). After this, perhaps a Cronenberg festival...

Mind still being blown by:
                                      LOST (Not everyone's cup of tea I know- and a substantial time investment to get onboard for the folks who haven't- but this show consistently wows me. For me, TV like this is so precious. Its not the destination- its the trip. Fantastic.)

Waiting for:
                                      The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen Volume 3: Century
                                      SEAGUY- Slaves of Mickey Eye
                                      FRINGE (more please sir!).

Peace
                                      DD

Comment

Just started "The Dreaming Void" by Peter F Hamilton.

Comment

Originally posted by dustysky View Post
                                          Read the review of the disc in Mojo and listened to it at allmusic. I always check out the review sections in the various music mags.
                                          If you know of anything else I might like based on the sound of Woodpigeon I would appreciate it!
                                          Go to here. There's all manner of bands that play in a similar style to Woodpigeon, I find new bands that I love about every 15 minutes every day there. I bet that if you listened for like, maybe half an hour, you'd probably find loads and loads of bands that you'd love there.

I guess for specific people to listen to, try listening to Hayden, and Caribou.You might also like Elliott Brood, and The Olympic Symphonium. Also, because I've been recommending a lot of people to them, even though they don't really sound like Woodpigeon, I've had a lot of success when I've recommended Henri Faberge and the Adorables to people, and everyone seems to love them. Happy Hunting?

Comment

OfCanada,

Thank You! I've got Caribou and really enjoy them, but just checked out the site you recommended and I think I'm going to find quite a lot to keep me busy. Thanks again!

Comment

Reading: Alan Moore's "Light of Thy Countenance"

Gorgeous hymn to/warning about the Magic of Television (Television as God, God as Television).
                                              Extraordinary indeed.
                                              (I purchased it from a comic book store, but Amazon and other online book vendors should have it very soon for those interested in checking it out). Quite a treat- and worth revisiting. "Alan Moore knows the score" as the lyric goes...

Peace
                                              DD

Comment

Listening: Seal Soul

A really great album: highly recommended.

Comment

Reading, Team of Rivals by Doris Kearns Goodwin
                                                  Watching, Katherine F's video by abbywinters.com
                                                  Listening, Spill the Wine by War (Dig that girl)
                                                  Last edited by bookmanz; 27 March 2009, 01:49 AM.

Comment

listening to Bright Eyes
                                                    Reading 'Girl boy Girl: How i became jt leroy' by Savannah Knoop
                                                    watching Law & order Criminal Intent

Comment

Reading: "Meditations in an Emergency" by Frank O'Hara
                                                      Watching: Antonioni's La Notte

Comment

Reading: Harry Potter 4. Well, I was, until my backpack was stolen this week.
                                                        Watching: The NCAA tournament. Go Memphis! Wait, they lost. Go Nova!

Comment

Listening:
                                                          Fever Ray (ex-Knife)
                                                          http://hype-o-rama.over-blog.com/ http://hype-o-rama.over-blog.com/ http://hype-o-rama.over-blog.com/ http://hype-o-rama.over-blog.com/

Reading:
                                                          Susanna Clarke's "The Ladies of Grace Adieu" (the companion book to her excellent "Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell")

Watching:
                                                          FRINGE
                                                          LOST

I love these shows so much. They're fantastic on so many levels. So rare to get TV that has this kind of ambition AND the chops to pull it off!

I'm also watching SPEED RACER (2008) on loop!
                                                          Go Speed Go!!!

Waiting for:
                                                          The new Fischerspooner CD "Entertainment"
                                                          (The official site http://www.fischerspooner.com/ has two free mp3 downloads of the single "Supply and Demand"
                                                          - basic and D.I.M. (LOL) remix- available for those interested). Most people probably know FS from this:

Peace
                                                          DD
                                                          Last edited by DonDraper; 29 April 2009, 05:38 PM.

Comment

Listening: lots of old New Order records and some old Bauhaus stuff

(Re)Reading:
                                                            Thomas M. Disch: CAMP CONCENTRATION
                                                            Prisoners in an alternative 1970's are dosed with Pallidine (a drug prepared from a syphilis derivative) that accelerates their intelligence but is, alas, fatal. Quite a brilliant piece of work and really speaks to me.

Reading:
                                                            Alan Moore: LOEG- CENTURY Volume 1: 1910
                                                            Grant Morrison: Seaguy- Slaves of Mickey Eye (just finished #2 with SG as El Macho, the Bulldresser- a matador who dresses charging bulls in lingerie... )

Breathlessly Watching: LOST & FRINGE (of course!!)

Waiting for:
                                                            James McTeigue's "Ninja Assassin" (November 2009)

and the new Harry Potter in July.

YouTubing:
                                                            The Girl Who Swallowed Bees (short film)
                                                            Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Peace
                                                            DD

Comment

Now listening smooth jazz played by Wayman Tisdale.

Wayman Tisdale played NBA basket ball 12 seasons and won Olympic gold in 1984, but moved later to musical career. He was excellent solo bass player.

He died at the age of 44, May 15, 2009. RIP

Comment

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter

Sign up for the abby newsletter. Don't worry, we'll NEVER share your email address with anyone.
                                                              Working...
                                                              X