• Show
Clear All

Lest we forget

Click image for larger version

Name:	anzac.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	660394

Happy ANZAC day to all my Trans Tasman buddies...

The same to you Pinky. Went to the Dawn Service in Darwin this morning and must admit had a couple of rums at the Razzle afterwards.

Comment

Not forgotten...

Good on you mrpinkeyes for posting this. I'll be having a drink to the diggers myself tonight....

Comment

Lest we forget

Pinky...

Comment

Originally posted by mrpinkeyes View Post
          Lest we forget

Pinky...
          And a Happy ANZAC day to you and to all in Australia and New Zealand...I'm assuming it's a National Holiday?...I'm 14 hr. behind you and it's still Easter Sunday here in Canada.

RYL tj
          Last edited by tjsunray; 25 April 2011, 02:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tjsunray View Post
            And a Happy ANZAC day to you and to all in Australia and New Zealand...I'm assuming it's a National Holiday?...I'm 14 hr. behind you and it's still Easter Sunday here in Canada.

RYL tj
            Thanks... Well that is a little contentious... It's Easter Monday and ANZAC holiday here in NZ back to work tomorrow. In OZ they also have tomorrow as a national holiday for ANZAC day. Think we should support our trans tasman buddies and have tomorrow off work also

Pinky

Comment

Name:	013.jpg
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	641669

Lest we forget

Comment

I miss home now
                My friends and I used to go to the ANZAC day parade because lots of them had Grandparents who died in wars Australia was involved in. None of my family members were ever soldiers so I tended to just go and have a beer and a chat with some of the old men and hear people's stories, and sometimes play two-up with them (and usually lose my tiny $1 bets they let me make ). I'd go to the Australian bar tonight, but it wouldn't be the same over here. I don't mind a beer or two on any national holiday, but this one isn't the best excuse to get drunk.

Comment

sorry Kylie...

It is very interesting hearing some of the old "diggers" chat about their experiences.

Is these the ANZAC Day dawn parade your talking about... or later in the day... thinking that's very Aussie to be sharing a beer at dawn .

Have you got an Aussie bar close by?? That great.. a little bit of home near by... but agree totally that this is a reflective time not a piss up .

Comment

Hey, don't be sorry! Missing home is a bittersweet feeling, it reminds me that I've always got somewhere to go back to but for now I'm off exploring the world! So it's sad but it's nice too.

I'd usually go to the dawn parade at the beach in Kingscliff and then head on over to a nearby pub for some brekkie and (yes) a beer or two!

Comment

Well done Pinky for posting this my Trans Tasman sweet heart

It was a wonderful day yesterday!

Much respect and many many thanks to all those past & present for our freedom

Edie

Comment

Originally posted by edie View Post
                        Much respect and many many thanks to all those past & present for our freedom

Edie
                        Well said...

Comment

I know it is not the same day everwere, but today is the day we rememer those who gave their life fighting for our freedom, I'm just about to go the to local armories for the the cerimony (11:00 local time) they just had a fly over by the lancaster bomber kept at the warplane heritage museum

thank you to all the people fighting to keep the world a great place to live, past present a future
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by timbo83; 11 November 2012, 06:39 PM.

Comment

Oh.. it's about Remembrance Day in the UK/Canada. Got me wondering there what day I was in fact forgetting or didn't know about. We combine that with liberation-day (I think that's the proper name) on 5-may over here.

Comment

11-11-11

Isn't the holiday called Armistice day in other parts of Europe?

I watched a bit of memorials from BBC and CNN today. And I saw a link that referred to this video of Christopher Hitchens, reciting a famous poem about the horror of war. It's short and worth a listen.

Comment

the famous poem here was written by a Canadian during the first world war called "in Flanders fields"

in Flanders fields the poppys blow
                                between the crosses row on row
                                they mark our place; and in the sky
                                the larks, still bravely singing fly
                                scarce heard with the guns below

we are the dead. Short days ago
                                we lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow
                                loved and were loved, and now we lie
                                in Flanders fields

take up your quarel with the foe:
                                to you from falling hands we throw
                                the torch; be yours to hold it high
                                if ye break faith with us who die
                                we shall not sleep, though poppys grow
                                in Flanders fields

-Lieutenant Colonel John McCrea (1872-1918)

Comment

Once again to my Trans Tasman buddies (didn't that year go quick....)

Lest we forget ♥

Size:	21.2 KB
ID:	643722

Comment

I have always loved Eric Bogle's song "And the Band Played Waltzing Matilda" about the ANZAC soldiers at Gallipoli. June Tabor's recording where she sings it unaccompanied is very moving.

Comment

Once again - Happy ANZAC day to all my Trans Tasman buddies..

Size:	18.5 KB
ID:	646913

"Much respect and many many thanks to all those past & present for our freedom" To quote Edie

Comment

Ive been in Aussiland for 18 years and still confused about the word Lest. Have not been able to get a single Aussie to been able to explain that word. They say a translation to the whole saying. But not a translation to that word Lest.

Comment

Hey Steve...
                                          Good ol' wikki dictionary says...

lest [lest] Show IPA
                                          conjunction
                                          for fear that; so that (one) should not (used negatively to introduce a clause expressive of an action or occurrence requiring caution): He kept his notes by his side lest faulty memory lead him astray.
                                          that (used after words expressing fear, danger, etc.): There was danger lest the plan become known.
                                          Origin:
                                          before 1000; Middle English leste, contraction of the lesse the, thi les the; late Old English the lǣste, earlier thȳ lǣs the, literally, whereby less that ( thȳ instrumental case of the demonstrative and relative pronoun, lǣs less, the relative particle)

Which seems right to the sentiment that "Lest we Forget" is all about.

Comment

Thanks Pinky for trying. Lest still makes no sense. Im either just stupid or pissed. Maybe both.

Comment

Originally posted by Happysteve View Post
                                              Thanks Pinky for trying. Lest still makes no sense. Im either just stupid or pissed. Maybe both.
                                              What mrpinkeyes was illustrating (among other things) was the way in which (probably in all languages, not just English) some very old isolated expressions survive amid the changes that all languages go through.

(Why, for example, do we say "goodbye" in English as a parting greeting? Because it's a shortened version of what was once "God be with ye". (god be wi' ye -> god b[e wi']ye) …)

The basic thing about "lest" is that, followed by an expression of some action or event, it expresses fear or concern that that action or event might happen and a desire that it should not happen. "Let's do X lest Y happen" means the same as "Let's do X so that Y shall not happen" It is a rather archaic expression and not nowadays in common use, but that is what it expresses in English, and those of us who belong to a generation that grew up with the King James Bible and who were taught in school a thorough grasp of English grammar and of how the language works have understood this since we were very young.

凧ちゃん

Comment

Originally posted by takochan View Post
                                                What mrpinkeyes was illustrating (among other things) was the way in which (probably in all languages, not just English) some very old isolated expressions survive amid the changes that all languages go through.

(Why, for example, do we say "goodbye" in English as a parting greeting? Because it's a shortened version of what was once "God be with ye". (god be wi' ye -> god b[e wi']ye) …)

The basic thing about "lest" is that, followed by an expression of some action or event, it expresses fear or concern that that action or event might happen and a desire that it should not happen. "Let's do X lest Y happen" means the same as "Let's do X so that Y shall not happen" It is a rather archaic expression and not nowadays in common use, but that is what it expresses in English, and those of us who belong to a generation that grew up with the King James Bible and who were taught in school a thorough grasp of English grammar and of how the language works have understood this since we were very young.

凧ちゃん
                                                I've always understood that the term 'lest' meant 'otherwise' or 'or,' as in the context of "We should start out early enough in the morning lest we run out of time in the day." The 'lest' could likely be changed in modern-speaking English to say "...otherwise we might run out of time" or "...or we might run out of time."

In the context of 'Lest we forget,' I perceive the title as being in the context of "otherwise we might forget," which to me makes sense and I had no problem with the perception of the title of this thread. I think it's a nice choice of title and it fits well.

Comment

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter

Sign up for the abby newsletter. Don't worry, we'll NEVER share your email address with anyone.
                                                Working...
                                                X