No announcement yet.

CMS1 Lists in CMS2: your feedback

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there any word on the possibility of custom sorting FAVs?

Also, a month into testing I've only managed to save one image as a personal FAV. A reply to a bug posting on my problem with saving FAVs implied that the feature wasn't available for testing. Still true?

I'm posting both questions here because they relate to how I use CMS1 lists.

Thanks!

Comment

There are some problems with add/removing favourites, I've filed bugs for those as well.

As to custom-sorting, I doubt it. What would you intend to achieve with custom sorting? I can understand its use on the current site, 'cos you can add descriptions and almost make entire stories that way.

Comment

Thanks Leprechaun, that multi-select, tagging steps work like a champ for tagging multiple shoots, videos or images.
        Not for tagging model profiles.

If I want to tag two models with a general tag "American girls" you would think you could do the following: Browse, Models, search term (Kara D, Kaitlin) press search button. That returns every shoot with the two models but not their Model Profile pages.

To replicate some of the lists members have made we need to place the tag on the model profile pages.
        You can do this from each girls model profile page. No big deal, except to replicate a list could be a lot of extra steps if there were a lot of models on the list.

Comment

Originally posted by bookmanz View Post
          If I want to tag two models with a general tag "American girls" you would think you could do the following: Browse, Models, search term (Kara D, Kaitlin) press search button. That returns every shoot with the two models but not their Model Profile pages.
          That is because Search defaults to 'shoots', at the left column, select 'Models' and voila... models are shown

Comment

Originally posted by Frans View Post
            That is because Search defaults to 'shoots', at the left column, select 'Models' and voila... models are shown
            Wonderful, thanks Frans!

Comment

Originally posted by Frans View Post
              As to custom-sorting, I doubt it. What would you intend to achieve with custom sorting? I can understand its use on the current site, 'cos you can add descriptions and almost make entire stories that way.
              I think you came up with a great example. Personally, I'd like to continue to be able to sort images the way I want them sorted, instead of the way someone else wants me to sort them. I'd argue that this is another example of useful information that will be lost in CMS2, that was in CMS1.

I also second your comment about viewing tags. That was actually a problem with CMS1 lists, too. I'd argue that clicking "More tags" and getting all the tags randomly (?) arranged in a smallish window is less functional than the way you could list lists in CMS1, which wasn't ideal.

I'm not sure I have much more to add to this thread!
              Last edited by M1n1slu2; 12 April 2010, 10:18 PM. Reason: I had just a little more to add to the thread ;-)

Comment

You can search for tags/lists on cms2, just type part of the name in the search window. Wait a bit and it will drop down the possible matches for you. The tags in the cloud are grouped by the number of times that tag occurs within the search results found.

You can change the style of that cloud via My Account, 'More tags cloud style' I've set it to list myself.

Comment

I agree with M1n1slu2 about removing lists being a mistake.

Comment

Originally posted by eseren View Post
                    I agree with M1n1slu2 about removing lists being a mistake.
                    What will you miss about lists specifically?

Comment

Random Lists

Another feature that I will miss is Random Lists... Since all the hard work of creating lists is going down the tubes, those lists compiled by others will not be randomized in the Random lists feature. What a shame, considering all the wasted "white space" on the new site.
                      BTW I hope the white color is only a place holder- hopefully there only to contrast the "new" site from the "old" site. Hopefully after the dust settles we will get some color back....

Comment

At first I was disappointed to see tags replacing lists, but I think ultimately tags will be a much better system. Like for example, a tag can keep being updated indefinitely, whereas a list will go out of date when a member leaves. And converting lists to tags isn't all that hard using the technique Leprechaun described.
                        One little problem though, when I click on an image tag I get a page saying "sorry no results found", (seemingly because it's browsing by "shoots", instead of "images"), I can then click on "images" under "type" to browse through the images, but it would make more sense from a users perspective if clicking on an image tag immediately showed the images, instead of "no results". Is that possible? Does that make sense?
                        The way it works now feels almost like a bug or an error, though I'm sure technically it's not a bug, but a feature

Oh, and one other thing, it's nice being able to add a tag to multiple images, but it would also be nice if it was possible to remove a tag from multiple images. I can't see a way to do that currently.
                        Last edited by monkeymagic27; 14 April 2010, 04:45 PM.

Comment

You want to search on tag+(type=image) when you click on a tag when viewing an image, and so on for vids, and shoots? I think it's neither a bug nor a feature just something that hasn't come before, your idea does make sense rest assured

Comment

CMS1 lists let us use our own criteria for choosing entries. The lists may have been public for everyone to enjoy, but nobody could go through and start adding stuff to someone else's list. We were free to comment on the things in our lists, to make it more personal. Plus people couldn't vote down an entry in your list. One person made the list, and that list was a reflection of their individual tastes.

Tags are decidedly a community effort. They will be better maintained, and will be much more likely to catch all of the material with a given attribute. Add in the increased scalability and, from a business perspective, it really seems tags are the way to go.

But the cost is that we're losing a way to express ourselves as individuals. So I'll be sad to see lists go, despite the promise of a brighter future with tagging.

Comment

JAO, actually, we have come up with a solution that should keep the feature you describe, a way for you to see tags that you have applied (regardless if someone else has voted them up or down). We hope to implement it soon.

Comment

About tags losing some of the idiosyncratic, individual expression of lists like JustAnotherObserver says, I know what you mean, but one partial solution that comes to mind is that when users want to keep their tags separate from others they could just use quirky, unusual names for tags, or put their user name in the tag?

I mentioned removing tags from multiple images, an example of why that would be useful would be looking at the images with the "girlcum" tag.

The great majority are false positives because whole sets are tagged, not just the relevant images. Users could fix that by selecting multiple images, and removing the "girlcum" tag.... if that were possible. But fixing it by voting down the tag for every image one-by-one...... I think that would take several million years, especially since the tag was probably set up by staff, so I guess it would require multiple "thumbs down" votes from users to be removed?
                                Anyway, overall I think tags are a net benefit over lists.

Comment

My opinion is that in time tags will work okay, BUT:

1. The existing lists really really need to be imported into tags.
                                  2. The search function needs to be beefed up (which is coming I understand)
                                  3. It is a shame to see the lists go, as tags don't really fulfill the same function IMO

But number 1 is very important, as today I went hunting for images with nipple piercings. It's impossible... there is 'body piercing' in the tags, but that's not what i want (and it returned no results for me anyway). there's no tags for nipple piercing yet - and a site search for relevant terms brought up nothing.

I went back to the old site, and found what I wanted in about 30 seconds - using a list.

Also, that tag cloud looks cute, but it's pretty useless by itself. You need a sortable list as well. (funny - I have a tag cloud on my own site, and never realised how annoying they are when you have loads of tags)

I really hope you import the lists into tags before you go live, as you won't be doing justice to your content if you don't, IMHO.

cheers, Jay
                                  Last edited by aff_1329; 15 April 2010, 04:06 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by monkeymagic27 View Post
                                    The great majority are false positives because whole sets are tagged, not just the relevant images. Users could fix that by selecting multiple images, and removing the "girlcum" tag.... if that were possible. But fixing it by voting down the tag for every image one-by-one...... I think that would take several million years, especially since the tag was probably set up by staff, so I guess it would require multiple "thumbs down" votes from users to be removed?
                                    Actually, our plan is to develop a group of trusted members who, when they vote once, are count 10 / 100 / 1000 times (the more trusted a user, the more "powerful" the vote), to manage this.

Not sure if anyone here reads slashdot? They have a great system like this - the crowd sorts out who are the most trusted people based on otehrs reviewing the actions they take. The more highly trusted users do well, the better the system is, and the more a highly trusted user agrees with a new user behaving well, the more the new user becomes a trusted user. That's a lot more advanced, but are the link things we'll be adding in the future, to keep very useful, non-subjective tags in order.

Comment

Originally posted by aff_1329 View Post
                                      My opinion is that in time tags will work okay, BUT:
                                      1. The existing lists really really need to be imported into tags.

But number 1 is very important, as today I went hunting for images with nipple piercings. It's impossible... there is 'body piercing' in the tags, but that's not what i want (and it returned no results for me anyway). there's no tags for nipple piercing yet - and a site search for relevant terms brought up nothing.

I went back to the old site, and found what I wanted in about 30 seconds - using a list.
                                      Agree. So we need members to nominate what lists are valuable, and we'll port them (and crowd-source the cleanup, if necessary). I agree, there are some valuable lists, but there are millions of lists that are of no value at all, and we don;t want to port legacy for legacy's sake.

2. The search function needs to be beefed up (which is coming I understand)
                                      Maybe. What needs to be beefed up specifically, IYO?

Also, that tag cloud looks cute, but it's pretty useless by itself. You need a sortable list as well. (funny - I have a tag cloud on my own site, and never realised how annoying they are when you have loads of tags)
                                      Agree. Tag clouds are lame, but everyone does them, and you can bet the complaints we get if we don;t have it will massively outweigh the ppl who realise how lame they are. So, we have it there, and you don't have to use it.

Can you tell me more about the idea of SORTABLE tag lists? I am not sure what you mean?

Comment

Originally Posted by Frans
                                        I'm still wondering if public lists will be converted to tags automatically when we switch. Garion, any word on that?
                                        Originally posted by garionhall View Post
                                        They will not be automatically switched. We're looking at a tool to let members convert their fave lists, however.
                                        Hi Jay,

Hopefully that can be up and running quickly.

On a more specific point, as it were, "Nipple Piercing", although a tag with that name does not exist, one entitledPierced Nipples does, as they do for, I think, all "Site Lists". Alas, this and some others do not appear on the drop down menu when entering search terms or additionally in the case of Pierced Nipples on any list/cloud of tags. However, typing in pierced nipples and initiating search returns the desired results, initially as shoots, then by selecting the images filter you can get the images as per the original list. I've filed a bug report on it and others not showing on the search drop downs.

tom
                                        Last edited by tom2c7777; 15 April 2010, 11:30 AM. Reason: Nipple piercng

Comment

Agree. So we need members to nominate what lists are valuable, and we'll port them (and crowd-source the cleanup, if necessary). I agree, there are some valuable lists, but there are millions of lists that are of no value at all, and we don;t want to port legacy for legacy's sake.
                                          Garion,

How would we go about nominating lists we consider to be of value, via feedback or something more specific as yet to be set-up?

tom

Comment

Originally posted by tom2c7777 View Post
                                            How would we go about nominating lists we consider to be of value, via feedback or something more specific as yet to be set-up?
                                            Let's try it here and see how we go?

Comment

Let's try it here and see how we go?

OK, I'll get the ball rolling or perhaps the bra unhooking with this culled from random lists.

It is a splendid collection of images that serves as a delightful visual aide-mémoire, an encouragement to explore the archive and is amenable to updating by all.

tom

Comment

Originally posted by tom2c7777 View Post
                                                Hi Jay,
                                                However, typing in pierced nipples and initiating search returns the desired results, initially as shoots, then by selecting the images filter you can get the images as per the original list. I've filed a bug report on it and others not showing on the search drop downs.

tom
                                                mmm, I tried that, and it does produce images. But the images aren't specifically of pierced nipples. They appear to be images from sets with girls with pierced nipples? I don't mean to obsess about pierced nipples in particular, I was just surprised how I couldn't find what I wanted on the new CMS, but could easily on the old one. I'm sure it will become easier over time as the tags take shape.

How do you know that a tag of "pierced nipples" exists? I can't see it in the tag list, or in the tag cloud? (Some of this might be user error on my behalf)
                                                Last edited by aff_1329; 15 April 2010, 09:39 PM.

Comment

Garion, sounds great about your plans to migrate the useful lists. I think that will sort in out in longer term.

Regarding the search function, see this thread: http://forums.abbywinters.com/vbulle...ad.php?t=12325 fourth to last post, and sue-ann's replies. looks like this has been fixed for a search of 'chloe', but not for niches.

Tag clouds: I don't think you should lose it, it's good for showing the most popular tags. I just mean having an alphabetical alternative, so we can quickly see if a tag already exists. Is there a way currently to see all tags on the site, aside from the cloud?

Love ya work, Jay

Comment

Originally posted by aff_1329 View Post
                                                    mmm, I tried that, and it does produce images. But the images aren't specifically of pierced nipples. They appear to be images from sets with girls with pierced nipples? I don't mean to obsess about pierced nipples in particular, I was just surprised how I couldn't find what I wanted on the new CMS, but could easily on the old one. I'm sure it will become easier over time as the tags take shape.

How do you know that a tag of "pierced nipples" exists? I can't see it in the tag list, or in the tag cloud? (Some of this might be user error on my behalf)
                                                    Hi Jay,

By way of denim, I noticed that denim didn't show on the search drop down although I knew that there were Site lists using the term and I had seen the term denim skirts as a tag on the left hand side of the model page. I briefly looked to see if there were any other site lists where similar might occur, pierced nipples happened to be one I looked at. It doesn't show on the search drop down or on any cloud/list but the term returns results, as said I've filed a BR.

I've had another look and all 199 images feature pierced nipples, usually a full body shot and then a close up for each model. At first it returns 57 shoots, then by clicking on the green plus sign next to images under Type you activate the images filter getting the 199 images.

tom

Comment

aff_1329, Here is an example of the alphabetical list of tags

Is something like that what you're thinking here? Also, as Tom noted elsewhere you can make your Tag Cloud style be a List rather than a cloud, if you prefer that.

I am warming to the idea of tags and losing my zeal for lists. I think tags are more focused descriptors of the content here. Frankly, some of my lists are only going to appeal to me, and that was part of their charm. What we lose in lists, is their ability to add text and group pictures in a specific way. I think we can use the boards to keep a bit of individuality of the Lists; the adding cute notes or descriptive text can be also be done through these discussion forums. For example, I create a tag called dimples and announce on the boards that I've tagged a whole bunch of pretty girls from Abigail to Zena, with said tag.

Here is a list, dark flavors, that might merit converting to a tag.

It might be good for folks looking specifically for darker skinned models. Does that seem like a reasonable way people might use tags to find content on this big old site. I am interested in how others are thinking about this subject!

Comment

Here is a list, dark flavors, that might merit converting to a tag.

It might be good for folks looking specifically for darker skinned models. Does that seem like a reasonable way people might use tags to find content on this big old site. I am interested in how others are thinking about this subject!
                                                        Hi Bookmanz,

Aye, similar to my thinking, I've created a few tags English, Scots, Irish girls with that idea in mind, in addition to more avowedly personal choices such as Books and Beauty. That which I nominated, Wonderland... is similar to lists I have created, tom's pictorial peregrination A-B for example, which serves to remind me of favourite images and as I said "Wonderland" is amenable to updating by all, one of features of tags. In the past I've come across lists that haven't been updated for ages and thought it would be great to bring that up to date but quailed at the prospect of the work involved in recreating it.

tom

A thought, perhaps it might be better to have nominations for lists to tag on a separate thread within CMS 2, maybe if agreed Lxm or Frans could create and move the relevant posts
                                                        Last edited by tom2c7777; 16 April 2010, 07:50 AM. Reason: thought

Comment

Like several others on this board I am so disappointed to be losing the 'lists' feature as this is the thing I like most about the current site. I like the fact that each list represents the particular tastes of one individual - in the new system, if someone creates a tag called 'nicest breasts', the chances are that loads of other people will add what they think are particularly nice breasts and we'll finish up with every girl on the site included in that tag. I love to explore the AW archive and I do it mostly through the 'random lists' section which often leads me to girls I haven't discovered before. Key to this is that the lists filter the whole site so that each represents what one person thinks are 'best orgasms'; this would normally highlight maybe 20 orgasms but, if anyone can add to it, it may become 200 orgasms so it becomes useless as a filter. I honestly think that without the 'lists' feature AW will be much less fun to use. It seems daft that by 'improving' the site you make it less enjoyable for users such as me. Please reconsider.

Comment

I am warming to the idea of tags and losing my zeal for lists.
                                                            Holy shit, you just made my week (that, and we hit a milestone for the go-live process, see other thread).

We'll get there, to make sure the functionality of Lists, and the advantages of tags is maintained.

Comment

I like to think that the AW members are a sort of extended family of people who appreciate the best that the web has to offer. I found lots of hidden gems and developed new faves in other members lists. Besides the daily updates I think the public lists are the next best thing about AW.
                                                              I rest my case.

Comment

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter

Sign up for the abby newsletter. Don't worry, we'll NEVER share your email address with anyone.
                                                              Working...
                                                              X