CMS1 Lists in CMS2: your feedback

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CMS1 Lists in CMS2: your feedback

Here's the place to offer your feedback on the Lists implementation in CMS2. Some facts:

* You CMS1 lists are indexed on a special page, linked from the box on the top right of every CMS2 screen, under "My Account"
    * We will not be replicating the full functionality of Lists in CMS2
    * You can browse your CMS1 list as results in a CMS2 search
    * Browsing your Lists results in CMS2 will be a little slow (around 10 seconds to load the page). This is because it's accessing data from an old, slow database, and merging it with data from a new database

There is no question that anyone who made a list (private or public) has lost a little something inside by it not being fully ported to CMS2, but we have made the hard decision to limit the bringing in of legacy data, instead focussing on a new way of marking images as faves (private list), and tagging (publci lists), which is much more powerful and inclusive, and will scale much better over time.

Let us know what you think here.

Here are some questions;

1. Will cms1 public lists get converted to cms2-tags ?

2. Will 'favourite models/shoots' cms1 be converted to cms2 favs ?

Add to #2. I just realized that it is fairly easy to use Multi-Select when viewing your 'old' favourites to very quickly add them to your cms2 favourites.

Comment

creating a tag applicable to multiple models

I have a model list that I thought was cute that has Elizabeth, Everette, Rosanna and others in it. To replicate the list in the new tag system. I figured I would go to each models profile page and add the tag there. Because this tag is pertinent to a characteristic of the model herself, not to a shoot or specific image. To start off, I went to Rosanna's model profile page. http://beta-www.abbywinters.com/model/rosanna
      That shows all of Rosanna's shoots. She is currently tagged as a blue eyes, blond, flexible, and fave. I want to add the tag "petite cuties". I type in the tag name to Add a Tag box. Click ADD and see the new tag added to the current tags for the model Rosanna.

Only problem the tag "petite cuties" that I put in disappears from the Rosanna profile once I reload the page or leave the page and come back. Was the tag saved for the model at all? Am doing this right?

Comment

you're doing it right, that bug must have surfaced again. Can you please copy and paste your post as a bug report? thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by bookmanz View Post
          I have a model list that I thought was cute that has Elizabeth, Everette, Rosanna and others in it. To replicate the list in the new tag system. I figured I would go to each models profile page and add the tag there. Because this tag is pertinent to a characteristic of the model herself, not to a shoot or specific image. To start off, I went to Rosanna's model profile page. http://beta-www.abbywinters.com/model/rosanna
          That shows all of Rosanna's shoots. She is currently tagged as a blue eyes, blond, flexible, and fave. I want to add the tag "petite cuties". I type in the tag name to Add a Tag box. Click ADD and see the new tag added to the current tags for the model Rosanna.

Only problem the tag "petite cuties" that I put in disappears from the Rosanna profile once I reload the page or leave the page and come back. Was the tag saved for the model at all? Am doing this right?
          Bookmanz,

The same thing happened to me, I filed a couple of bug reports on different aspects of it a day or so back, got the acknowledgements today. So hopefully not long till a tagging we can go!!

tom

Comment

I would appreciate if there was a way to see the "Last 10 logins" in "My Account" section in the new CMS2 too.

I like the feature because some one has hacked to my account before so I like the opportunity to check last logins every now and then.

yusa

Comment

Originally posted by yusanord View Post
              I would appreciate if there was a way to see the "Last 10 logins" in "My Account" section in the new CMS2 too.
              Hint: http://beta-www.abbywinters.com/help/support (tab Feature Request)

Comment

Yikes. Lists were my favorite feature. Next to the models, I mean ;-)

Seriously - I go to certain lists because the person who maintained them evidently has tastes similar to mine. I can't see how tags will preserve that. I'm also not sure tags will preserve sorting the way lists did.

So, I can't create new lists - can I add to my old ones?

Comment

you cannot add to old lists, no. However, you can tag things, and add things to your faves.

You are correct in that tags will not allow sorting, that's not a feature we have replicated in CMS2.

Comment

My general observation is that we are going in the "right" direction with "lists", long a near-trademark of the AW experience. With the mass of material, we all crave every manner of organizing it and some, looking forward, must survive even if at the expense of others. The new but still-familiar combination of sorts for age, media type, and two dozen other categories should suffice for the basic architecture. Merging that with a well-designed "keyword" hash and several sort options should cover 90% of our related "needs, desires, and urges".

I found the new search works pretty well. It did seem that I needed to keep re-setting the age slider but that's no bug until I have properly studied it. 16-17 isn't working! (Just kidding!!)

Beyond that, maybe a "personal" bookmarking system will do the trick. If not, maybe a facility for truly motivated "bookmarkers" to be able to "share" their personally bookmarked models/shoots for the rest of us to peruse, would satisfy the lingering desire of many to "share their 'happiness'".

Rob

Comment

Originally posted by FloridaRob View Post
                      I found the new search works pretty well. It did seem that I needed to keep re-setting the age slider but that's no bug until I have properly studied it.
                      You do know you need to click the + sign in front of the slider to get it added to your search.. right ?

Comment

Yikes, again.

Will I lose my ability to access other member's public lists, too?

I looks like the ability to follow a particular member's choices is going to be lost, as well as the ability to personally sort images, as far as I can tell. (The lack of ability to sort Favs is also big, I think.) I assume both iists and sorting could be implemented in CMS2.

The lists were unique to AW, as far as I've been able to tell. Tags aren't, though I'm sure there may be new kinds of functionality exposed.

Just one member's opinion, gratefully expressed!

Comment

When you say we can build your own video by only downloading specific portions,does this mean we will get longer
                          videos as in full unedited versions? I think that would be great! Especially with a favorite model.Thats why the before
                          and after shoots as well as BTS are so popular.
                          I love the new site. I really like being able to go to the girls profile page with one click now.

Comment

Hi M1n1slu2, welcome to the boards.
                            Yes, I think your access to other peoples public lists will go away and be replaced by Tags. I made a list called "American Girls". It is here on the old site now.
                            I could go to Ava, Kaitlin, Kara, and Sahara model profile pages and tag them all with the new tag called "American Girls". The nice thing about the Tag is that any member can add a new model to "American Girls".

Lists were cool, but imperfect. The problem I always had lists was the lack of searching, and it was difficult to follow the lists. We will miss the little personal things we could do in inside the lists though like be lyrical, sweet, naughty, or astutely observational.
                            Here is the FAQ info on tags if you have not seen it already. http://beta-www.abbywinters.com/help...teguide#HowTag

Comment

I'm still wondering if public lists will be converted to tags automatically when we switch. Garion, any word on that?

Comment

Originally posted by Frans View Post
                                I'm still wondering if public lists will be converted to tags automatically when we switch. Garion, any word on that?
                                They will not be automatically switched. We're looking at a tool to let members convert their fave lists, however.

Comment

Originally posted by garionhall View Post
                                  They will not be automatically switched. We're looking at a tool to let members convert their fave lists, however.
                                  It would be great if that could be developed, particularly useful for the larger lists.

tom

Comment

No lists?

I think this is a mistake and hope Abby will reconsider. She has the right to change her mind.
                                    As others have said using lists adds to community, others assemble for all to enjoy. Tags are not the same.
                                    I agree that "tags" are all the rage in web design school today, but frankly why be a follower? Abby has always been a leader. nixing something that works just because of a fad is silly. Anyone recall the taste of "new" Coke? And lets be frank, few of us are really here to admire the website design.
                                    I've been on the site off and on for a very long time, (almost ten years). Lists or lack of lists may affect that. Only time will tell.

IT2

Comment

Tags - browsing

We need a way to browse tags, both tags I've set as well as others may have. Currently that doesn't seem to be there. So if someone has set a tag of say, "gorgeous legs", there's no way for me to know that unless I stumble across a model/shoot that has the tag attached.

And I may have forgotten the tags I've used and use a variant or a misspelling without realising it, which would in turn restrict my ability to find what I'm looking for.

Please see if you can incorporate a "My Tags" option like the My Faves.

and BTW, none of this is being saved right now - marking a girl as a Fave or setting a new tag. I've dropped a bug report for the former.

Otherwise - can't wait to use the new site!

Comment

Originally posted by merop47 View Post
                                        We need a way to browse tags, both tags I've set as well as others may have. Currently that doesn't seem to be there. So if someone has set a tag of say, "gorgeous legs", there's no way for me to know that unless I stumble across a model/shoot that has the tag attached.
                                        You can use the Search field to search for tags as well as modelnames or shootnames. Just type 'larg' into it, wait a bit and it will show the possible matches starting with that.

Once you've done the search you can browse the result.

Comment

or, further filter the results, by adding other tag filters.

Comment

Bookmanz -

Thanks for the reply. But if anyone can tag an image of a model with bunions with "Bunions", for example, I lose the ability to track images favored by that member with such exquisite taste in bunions who maintains the "Big Left Footed Bunions" list. Maybe I don't even like bunions - but the owner of the list always finds the most amazing pics, so I regularly visit it.

It's also the principal involved - I hate to see site upgrades drop existing, and especially unique, features unnecessarily, or because they were overlooked.

Especially when it's a feature I like, of course ;-)
                                            Last edited by M1n1slu2; 28 March 2010, 02:08 AM. Reason: Clarification for my own edification...

Comment

Making a custom list?

I still have not figured outhow to make a customized list when I open a particular models image list. For example in browse and I choose models and then choose a model which would give me an individual shoot. I opened the image list which contains all of the photos of that shoot. How I choose only the images that I want to download as a custom set.
                                              Ciao,
                                              Browneyes

Comment

Originally posted by Browneyes2009 View Post
                                                I still have not figured outhow to make a customized list when I open a particular models image list. For example in browse and I choose models and then choose a model which would give me an individual shoot. I opened the image list which contains all of the photos of that shoot. How I choose only the images that I want to download as a custom set.
                                                Does this help: http://beta-www.abbywinters.com/help...al#MultiSelect ? If not, where do you get stuck/lost ?

Comment

I have to say that I am really sorry to be losing the facility to continue building on my existing lists, and making my own new lists. And also I have found other people's lists really helpful in tracking down models I have missed - as the message a few further up from M1n1slu2 says, so nicely, about 'bunions"!
                                                  I guess I will get used to the new system, but I will have lost one of the aspects of the site I use most often and enjoy most. Is there no way of adding a continuation of the old system to the new system? As the previous message said, it seems a real pity that a 'new' system should involve losing what, to judge from the messages on this thread, has been one of the most valued facilities of the old one.

Comment

Tags are basically public lists (without comments) everyone can add to. You can still have a tag named 'bunions' and find other shoots that way

Comment

Originally posted by bookmanz View Post
                                                      I made a list called "American Girls". It is here on the old site now.
                                                      I could go to Ava, Kaitlin, Kara, and Sahara model profile pages and tag them all with the new tag called "American Girls".
                                                      There's an easier way to do this, by using the tag feature in Multi-select mode: Open your list of American Girls, open Multi-select mode, select the whole list, and tag the selection "American Girls". Presto! You've tagged them all from one page, typing the tag name only once.
                                                      Attached Files

Comment

How can I select the whole list ? Is there easier way than selecting all ca. 1800 pictures on my list one by one ?

Comment

Originally posted by yusanord View Post
                                                          How can I select the whole list ? Is there easier way than selecting all ca. 1800 pictures on my list one by one ?
                                                          Set a very high number on display-per-page under My Account. Then place your mouse in the top left box and drag the mouse to right-bottom it should select all pics on the page that way (if it doesn't gray the pics, you didn't start IN the top-left box, which is indeed different from how windows does it).

Please note that at this time it is not known if public lists will be converted to tags when cms2 goes live. You might want to wait until that is known. Unless you like tagging pics of course

Comment

Hi Yusa!

Hmm, I keep forgetting how big some of these lists are. You can select them a page at a time, and by setting the "Number of Results" for browse/search (in My Account preferences) to 100, it would narrow it down to 18 or 19 "selects". Multi-select will add selections across multiple pages, so once you've selected them all, you can still tag them in a single action.

Comment

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter

Sign up for the abby newsletter. Don't worry, we'll NEVER share your email address with anyone.
                                                            Working...
                                                            X