Behind The Scenes commentary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Behind The Scenes commentary

Check out our cool new feature on left of the news page, "what happenned at AWHQ today?". Each day we shoot (five or six days a week), we'll post a backstage pic and someone's backstage rave. Each one will be archived, too.

Let us know what you think! (I reckon it's well cool)

Ya! it's cool

Comment

like it more info of what's happening/to come the better
      p.s i'm really starting to take a fancy to nico.

Comment

Little over expose but cool

Gerza71

Comment

really cool ! Insights are always great, even greater when coming in image !

Comment

Yeah its a cool idea. And "someone's backstage rave" suggests it will be shared around (you wouldn't want it becoming a bit of a chore for one person ).

Comment

Whoever thought up this one deserves a toy.

Comment

Mini-Backstages! Very kewl - nice one. You're just too kind.
                Though I sense this is only the start.

Comment

Yes, perhaps a little over-exposed. But I can never get over-exposed to news from AW

Comment

Neat idea.. that picture does make me wonder how the picture Nico took turned out I suppose this pic was take right into the light-screen-thingies used for shoots though. Who's Adora by the way (and what does he/she do on HQ, I'll guess video-team?) ?

Edit:Never mind, found the relevant thread already

I like reading backstage raves and info, so I'm all for this idea

P.S. It was a bit confusing to find the rave itself only on the archive page, but I can't think of a better solution at the moment (under the fullsize pic wouldn't make for easy reading;-).

-Frans
                    Last edited by Frans; 15 November 2006, 11:14 PM.

Comment

Looks pretty cool - good idea! Hopefully there will be a bit of variety in the types of backstage pics that are taken (which i'm sure there will!)

Comment

I like the idea!

Comment

very cool, but if you show a bad pic (quality) then you must myst 2 pics to make up for it... -

great idea

Comment

Originally posted by Gerza71 View Post
                            Little over expose but cool

Gerza71

I'll second that. It's all about innovations.

Comment

I'm confused. I can see the pic, but I can't see any "rave". The link opens a jpeg without any accompanying html...

Comment

Originally posted by pjay View Post
                                I'm confused. I can see the pic, but I can't see any "rave". The link opens a jpeg without any accompanying html...
                                Easy, click on the link BELOW the pic "Look at what we did on 15 November 06" that leads to the archive and THERE you can see the rave

.. and thanks for proving my point

-Frans

Comment

I would suggest to put the same link to the rave on the picture too.

In the rave page the link to the full size picture is already on the thumbnail.

Lxm

Comment

It depends on what you want to emphasise. In this case, when I was given the spec, the emphasis was on the image, and the text was additional. If I made the thumbnail the link, then that inverts.

Comment

Originally posted by Vid Dude View Post
                                      It depends on what you want to emphasise. In this case, when I was given the spec, the emphasis was on the image, and the text was additional. If I made the thumbnail the link, then that inverts.
                                      True, trouble is that without the ("Abby says...") text in the news/middle column you won't know there IS text to go with the picture.

You can't really make a page with the fullsize picture and the rave/text on top of it, would look weird. Linking the thumbnail to the archive page requires two clicks for the full picture though... the hard choices in the life of a webdesigner

Maybe it's just me who likes such texts and insights a LOT, could be.

-Frans

Comment

Glad it's a popular feature.

We know it's over-exposed technically, but it's not an accident I choose that image. Susie took her backstage pic at exactly the same time as Nico triggered the big flash gear for taking a "proper" stills pic. The BS camera is slow to react, and was not expecting that amount of light (cos when it checked 200 milliseconds ago, there was very little light), and so exposed for a darker frame... but happened to be really bright.

However, I think it looks cool. I particularly like the detail that shows in people's hair when we get a pic like this.

Hm. this is kind of like explaining a joke to someone who does not get it, only this is not a joke.

Comment

I like it. Kind of a "You had to be there" sort of thing but now, through the camera, we were there.

Comment

Neat idea!

Comment

Hi there fransAW et al, Adora here. I'm the new Videographer at AW. You'll be hearing alot more from me in time to come. Stay tuned!

Comment

Originally posted by FatherNature View Post
                                                I like it. Kind of a "You had to be there" sort of thing but now, through the camera, we were there.
                                                Yeah, but if the flashes are really THAT bright it must be hard work being a model Amazing models have fun during such a g/g still shoot, having to stop for piccies and then get FLASHed (and not in a good way, heh). Are such flashsets excellent heat-sources I wonder?

All that from a single picture, imagine that

-Frans

Comment

About the 16-nov pic and rave... I sense an 'Abby says' coming up about a new stills photographer? Welcome Toby
                                                  (gotta wonder who's going to do tomorrow's rave, at this rate they'll need a new AWHQ pretty soon )

What's that antenna on top of the camera for? It's at the position where I would expect a normal flash, so does it signal the flash(y;-) gear ? Camera looks mighty heavy btw. good workout

-Frans

Comment

The idea is starting to come together more now the 2nd one is up,Nice idea,like i already said the more info the better

Comment

Originally posted by fransAW View Post
                                                      What's that antenna on top of the camera for? It's at the position where I would expect a normal flash, so does it signal the flash(y;-) gear ?
                                                      Yah, it's a radio transmitter for the flash trigger, so we don't have to drag a cable around to trigger the flash heads (cos the flash itself is so short, it needs to be perfectly sychronised with the camera shutter opening).

The flash heads do not generate appreciable heat (the video lights, OTOH, do in extremis).

Comment

Just noticed that the 'Window Title' of the Today Archive page is 'Home', prolly should be something different?
                                                        (i.e. more descriptive of the page concerned ;-)

-Frans

Comment

They all say "Home," it is a limitation of the code. Or it was, at least.

Comment

I like it. It just adds a little bit more to what was already the site to be at. Might one enquire whose idea it was ? (No...I didn't think you'd answer that !)......

Comment

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter

Sign up for the abby newsletter. Don't worry, we'll NEVER share your email address with anyone.
                                                            Working...
                                                            X