Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wolfie's Hangout Hut

Posting Champion
    Oh I'll be around and lurking for quite awhile now.

Posting Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfgangbuster29 View Post
    Oh I'll be around and lurking for quite awhile now.
    Wolfie !...you miss us already ! ....as per Sir Tom2c7777 quote ( bless his soul ) " Once Abby'd, there's no turning back "

Posting Champion
    In observance of Memorial Day I would like to pass along to you folks a poem that was written by one of my radio show hosts and recently presented on-air at TFNN. I hope you enjoy.

A Memorial Day Poem
    By Bud Rolfs

So what will you do on Memorial Day?
    Maybe go to the mallÖ.if your wife has her way?
    Maybe fill up the pool, so the kids get a thrill,
    Or spend the day cooking on your barbecue grill.
    You could go to a ballgame, or take in a movie,
    How about sneaking a nap? Now that really sounds groovy.
    Do whatever you want. Itís OK, donít you see?
    Itís OK, cause this country is the land of the free.
    Thanks to long-ago courage at the twilightís last gleaming,
    Itís OK that youíre spending your weekend "daydreaming".
    It was barefooted soldiers in the Valley Forge snow,
    That gave you the freedom to choose where youíd go.
    If Adams and Jefferson had not heard their calls,
    Do you think youíd have ballgames, or movies, or malls?
    If so many brave soldiers had not made their choices,
    Could you still go to Fenway, and hear those fan voices?
    And if no one had showed up to take Omaha Beach,
    Would your old family Bible still be within reach?
    Can you still see those firemen running toward the Twin Towers?
    And their widows left only with memories and flowers?
    See, for most of us sadly, each Memorial Day,
    Is just time to party, not remember and pray
    Prayers of thanks to those patriots who came long before us,
    And who sing to us now from their Heavenly chorus.
    Itís because of some choices THEY made centuries past,
    That our countryís still great and our freedoms still last.
    So perhaps at the beach, youíll take time to remember,
    A place called Pearl Harbor, on an ancient December,
    Or you might take a moment when the ballgame is done,
    To think of the courage it took at Bull Run.
    See WHATEVER you do, it could never repay,
    What so many have chosen on some long ago day.
    When their service was needed, they gave their full measures,
    To give you the freedom to choose your own pleasures.
    So will YOU make any time for a Holiday spot,
    To thank those who gave YOU all the freedoms youíve got?
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    So what will YOU do on Memorial Day?
    I think IíLL take time to give thanks and to pray.

Wow, wuffie, I've clearly been quite out of the loop! Nice to see you with a thread though, and learn a few fun facts. And it seems you're not lurking in too much of a lurk-shaped fashion, which is also nice.

Posting Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by immie View Post
    Wow, wuffie, I've clearly been quite out of the loop! Nice to see you with a thread though, and learn a few fun facts. And it seems you're not lurking in too much of a lurk-shaped fashion, which is also nice.
    Well hey there, Immie. Thanks for stopping by.

Posting Champion
    Hi there Wolfie!

I have a question for you. I know that you work in the video production industry, so I wanted to ask you.....a friend of mine has a Canon camcorder that she intends to use to video a panel of people. To be able to hear each person speak, she would need for each person to have a microphone. What equipment would she need to be able to allow four people to each have their own microphone?

Posting Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Dekoda View Post
    Hi there Wolfie!

I have a question for you. I know that you work in the video production industry, so I wanted to ask you.....a friend of mine has a Canon camcorder that she intends to use to video a panel of people. To be able to hear each person speak, she would need for each person to have a microphone. What equipment would she need to be able to allow four people to each have their own microphone?
    It appears this unit has a two-channel, stereo mini jack for microphone in. That is a big plus as you'll plug your external source or external microphone into it. However one external mic will be insufficient to pick up each of the panel members evenly across the panel so I would suggest your friend invest in a microphone mixer that has a channel for each microphone she intends to set out for each panel member. In otherwords, a panel of four people, mic each one separately and go into a mixer that has at least four microphone channels. The mixer should have meters so your friend can keep close monitoring of the audio levels of the mics.

Then, and this is really important, she'll have to connect the output of the mixer to the microphone-in of the camera using special attenuating patchcords, one for left, one for right, and couple the two attenuating patchcords using a wye adapter that will combine two two-conductor, mono mini jacks into one three-conductor, stereo mini jack to go into the camera's mic input. The attenuating patchcords will effectively step down the line-level output of the board going to the camera's mic input, otherwise the output of the board would be much too high a level for that mic input and it would distort if she used just a regular patchcord. We're lookin' at a 'line-level vs. mic level' situation that the attenuating patchcords will remedy. Attenuating patchcords are readily available on E-Bay as well as some Radio Shack stores.

A suitable and inexpensive mixer and inexpensive yet fairly good-quality, dynamic microphones and XLR mic cables are available at most musical instrument stores. Sampson is one brand that comes to mind as they are great with entry-level mixing and micing gear suitable for many, semi-pro applications such as interviews and individual, panel member pickup.

I would also strongly suggest your friend invest in a good quality set of over-the-ear headphones, that way she will be able to listen and monitor the mix as the camera is rolling.

Once set up properly, this micing technique will give your friend the absolute best and clearest sound pickup of her panel members and she will most likely be very pleased with the results. Please let me know how this all turns out and of course if you have further questions please don't hesitate to ask. I'm happy to help.

Posting Champion
    Hi, folks

Me and my lady just got back from a little trip to Caladesi Island today and I thought I'd share with you all some photo snaps that we managed to get with my Canon T3 DSLR.

Caladesi is a secluded little island off the coast of Honeymoon Beach in Dunedin, Florida. Caladesi is Florida's beaches, as they were always meant to be, unspoiled and all-natural. The only way to get to Caladesi Island is by ferryboat.
    Name:  Cam_6714.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  152.4 KB

We encountered some dolphins on the boat ride out to the island.
    Name:  Cam_6716.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  165.4 KB

Name:  Cam_6719.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  186.1 KB

More to come

Posting Champion
    Much of Florida has been enduring an rather unusually wet and rainy Summer season this year. That is why the Caladesi Island recreational and cookout areas appear here to have been transformed into Florida Swampland.
    Name:  Cam_6720.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  262.9 KB

Name:  Cam_6721.jpg
Size:  276.7 KB

Some sticky, very prickly things along one of the nature trails
    Name:  Cam_6724.jpg
Size:  483.1 KB

Posting Champion
    This, folks, is Florida beaches, as Nature intended. Unspoiled, no hi-rise condos, motels, hotels or carnivals cutting into the skyline, and no city traffic noise to permeate the naturally wonderful and soothing sounds of the ocean waves that gently roll in to the shore.
    Name:  Cam_6723.jpg
Size:  151.6 KB

Name:  Cam_6733.jpg
Size:  82.8 KB

This, folks, is how the beach oughtta be.
    Name:  Cam_6735.jpg
Size:  116.5 KB

Posting Champion
    Let's have a look around our chosen spot on Caladesi...
    Name:  Cam_6739.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  81.3 KB

When you wade into the water out there, do the 'Sting Ray Shuffle.' That is, to shuffle your feet as you wade, so as to alert the stingrays in the water that you are there with them so that they will have a chance to get out of your way as you wade.
    Name:  Cam_6742.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  92.9 KB

Name:  Cam_6745.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  75.9 KB

Incidentally, the lady & I had also managed to have some rather naughty cam funs with each other while there on the island, Abbywinters-style, no less but unfortunately and in observance of the rules of the AW forums those I won't be able to share with you here- heh-heh
    Last edited by wolfgangbuster29; 15th July 2013 at 12:53 AM. Reason: Add that about the 'Sting Ray Shuffle'

Posting Champion
    Cool pics Wolfie ( literally ) it's a steam bath here in my city. For someone who has lived in a big city all his life, the ocean/beach is paradise. If it was possible i would take daily strolls along the beach at sunrise and sunset.Is that your fiance in the blue skirt ?...have you both decided on that special day yet ?

Posting Champion
    It was only about 88įF that afternoon so it wasn't too terribly hot. Cant say who the lady is.

As for me and my fiancee,' we're taking things in our relationship one day at a time though the chemistry between us is phenomenally good and we're headed in that direction, without a doubt.

Hey in a couple weeks and weather permitting, she and I plan on a visit ot Lowry Park Zoo in Tampa. That's the spot I was recently telling Pippa about that has the lorikeet aviary where guests can mingle with, pet and feed the lorikeets there. I see that Pippa loved the butterfly rooms she recently visited and by the photos she posted it looked like a lovely experience and that brought to my mind the lorikeets at Lowry.

Posting Champion
    Good stuff Wolfie...glad to hear things are going super good for you. Be sure to post pics when you visit the Zoo in Tampa.

Posting Champion
    Will do.

Hey Dekoda, How's that recording project your friend was asking about the micing coming along?

Awww Wolfie you make me so homesick! Those beaches look just like home. I did a quick Google search for comparison purposes. Maybe it's just the long, white expanses of sand, the little nature-reserves on the dunes or just the fact that it's a beach and I haven't seen one since Christmas last year.

Posting Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by kylie_h View Post
    Awww Wolfie you make me so homesick! Those beaches look just like home. I did a quick Google search for comparison purposes. Maybe it's just the long, white expanses of sand, the little nature-reserves on the dunes or just the fact that it's a beach and I haven't seen one since Christmas last year.
    This sort of beach is rather rare in these parts, what with the many folks who insist on populating the beach areas with business venues and spoiling the natural wonder and beauty of the beach in the process. Well, Kylie, if you're ever in this area come on up with us.

Posting Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfgangbuster29 View Post
    Will do.

Hey Dekoda, How's that recording project your friend was asking about the micing coming along?
    Hey there Wolf!

Well, she hasn't tried out the camcorder that I had sent to her yet, but she called me tonight and said that she was anxious to try it out when she got home. The thing is, her recordings will be interviews with a panel of people that she will be interviewing overseas,(Paris, The Netherlands, Ireland and England) so she needs to have equipment that is very portable. She doesn't have much money and she wanted to find a way to record the panel's discussion so that she could post it on the internet.(the panels are paying for her transportation and lodging, but not for her equipment). I was happy to send her a new camcorder, but I can't afford to send her any more equipment, so I suggested to her that maybe she should use a conference mike. This mike is in no way as good as what you suggested, but it's in her budget range, so I figured that this mike was better than just using the camcorder's mike. It won't sound as good as what you suggested, but at least she may be able to record what everyone is saying. If I could afford it, I'd send her the items that you recommended....as well as 4 wireless mikes, but I can't afford to do that, so she has to make do with what she can afford. I appreciate your input on this and if monies become available, I will see what I can do for her. She is a good friend and I want to help her out as much as I can. She had asked me for advice on the mike thing, and I wasn't familiar with this so I asked you to see what might be needed. Thanks for your help.

Posting Champion
    You are quite welcome, Dekoda.

That conference mic might suffice in this particular instance, given that this might be her first gig with these people and they have an understanding that she is just getting started with this. If they pay her well enough for this gig perhaps she might follow in my footsteps of success and parlay her earnings into gradually upgrading to the more advanced but still portable audio gear that will give her recordings more of a professional edge. In the meantime she might get by as a starter with that conference mic you suggested and add an extension cable so as to be able to reach the camcorder.

Posting Champion
    Searching up some classic Steadicam shots one afternoon recently I found this awesome clip. First it shows the amazing shot the cameraman got with his Steadicam rig and then they show you just how he managed to get that shot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3TBvJUtuHs

Posting Champion
    Vandals on my property... BUSTED!!

Happened about a week ago as three hoodrats began taking my video surveillance cameras down from my property. My guess is they saw the other cameras I had up around my home and they split. My system recorded the vandals in-action and the police have a copy of the video that shows the vandals in-action.

The hoodrats did retaliate with threats, racial slurs and trespassing but guess what, all that got recorded too by my system here and the police have issued them written and signed trespass warrants. If they come here again and are caught (which will be easy) they will go to jail.

I also have enough data to submit to a court injunction against them because I know where the vandals live and I know their names.

You see, these neighbours of mine never had a problem, that is until they decided they were gonna come and mess with my property and then after they got slapped by the police once they retaliated with the threats and racial slurs the police followed up with another slap and final warning. Now they have created for themselves a real problem that they wished they never had.

The neighbourhood is quiet once again now but I still will be keeping my guard up.

Posting Champion
    Glad to hear it all turned out ok for you Wolfie. Be patient, it won't be long now before your Golden Retriever puppy Terrell's mature bark will have these

hoodlums think twice before they decide to set foot on your property again.There is no better deterrent than a big dog's bark to scare off unwanted intruders.

Posting Champion
    That's right. They don't call a dog 'Man's Best Friend' for nothing.

Whatever happened to 'Community?'

Posting Champion
    'Frans Goes to the Future!'

Something I noticed just tonight as I was visiting the Forums is that, somehow, Frans has managed to travel to the future and submit a post to our AW Forums, as is readily evident when one notices the date of most-recent post in the 'Forum updated 16-nov, auto saving drafts now works' thread. Can't miss it cos that thread has been appearing at the top of the page when you search the forums for the latest posts.

Frans, you traveled into the year 2015 and have successfully made it back, how is the future?

Wields limited power
    The future was nice, but not as intended Fix the date on that message, can't let that ruin the sorting ;-)

Hi Mr Wolfie, just thought I'd pop in and say hi in your little neck of the woods. Kylie H isn't the only one feeling all homesick from those beach photos. D: Man, summer can't come soon enough, I'm sick of having to rug up and hibernate.

As for Frans travelling to the future, well, when it comes to travelling to 2015, Michael J Fox and Christopher Lloyd have beaten him to it yonks ago.

Posting Champion
    Hi Mr Wolfie, just thought I'd pop in and say hi in your little neck of the woods. Kylie H isn't the only one feeling all homesick from those beach photos. D: Man, summer can't come soon enough, I'm sick of having to rug up and hibernate.

Hi, Immie. Thanks for stopping by.

As for Frans travelling to the future, well, when it comes to travelling to 2015, Michael J Fox and Christopher Lloyd have beaten him to it yonks ago.
    Heh-heh! I couldn't resist the opportunity to have some fun with Frans on that little typo that seemed to go unnoticed for quite some time now. Even I overlooked it till just a couple nights ago.

We've been looking forward to beach and theme park weather here in the Sunshine State for quite awhile now, but after all it is Winter and Florida does get colder than most folks would believe until they've spent their first Winter here.

Haha, yes, the old Florida stereotype. I have no idea what the winter there is like, myself, but I seem to remember some very balmy December Days in Mississippi some years back... followed by a frigid ice hell in Texas two weeks later!

Posting Champion
    Haha, yes, the old Florida stereotype. I have no idea what the winter there is like, myself, but I seem to remember some very balmy December Days in Mississippi some years back... followed by a frigid ice hell in Texas two weeks later!
    In the 32 years I've lived here in Fl I can say from experience that in the Wintertime Florida gets just about everything except the snow. We do freeze and it's not uncommon for temps to get into the single-digits for a stretch.

I would like to guess that one of the things that makes a Winter here feel more severe is that, during the Wintertime we are likely to get the occasional warming spell before the next blast of Arctic air from the next cold front comes sweeping down to our region, so it's the 'up-down-up-down-up-down' aspect of it that can make things seem more extreme, weatherwise.

Posting Champion
    I know I've been absent awhile but glad to say that I'm still around and I miss you guys.

Thought I'd chime in here with a link to a news story that broke recently... this happened in my neighbourhood and it's so over-the-top bizarre that I couldn't resist sharing it here with y'all.

http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/story/2...s-internet-hit

Posting Champion
    GOOGLE TECHNICAL SUPPORT BY PHONE

Folks I just wanted to pass along to you a heads-up to be very suspicious of any tech support who may be a 3rd party disguised as the tech support of th company or entity you are needing technical support on.

I had been having a problem with my E-mail account recently where everyday the entire contents of my Inbox would be automatically deleted and sent to the trash folder. Since I had received no response from Google Tech Support via their own Online trouble report forms I searched for a phone number that might be listed for contacting Google about this sort of problem and speak with someone directly and in real-time about it. I found a group of numbers listed under Google Technical Support and they had a separate phone number for each of the different departments such as Google Chrome, Picassa, Plus, G-mail, etc and I called the G-mail one.

The agent on the phone had me confirm my E-mail address and date of birth. Then the agent said he had to access my computer via remote desktop and when I denied him that he got real pissy with me and started yelling, saying that I am vulnerable and that my account was going to be compromised and that it wasn't going to be anybody's fault but my own. I told theagent I did not appreciate his attitude toward me or the situation at-hand and then I hung up.

A bit later I go and chect my E-mail account to find that EVERYTHING in there had been erased.

So I researched the phone number I had called and found that the company under that phone number was a scammer known for disguising itself as tech support for big companies like Google, TigerDirect, Yahoo, HP, all of em out there and they prey on the needs of folks needing technical support by phone and whenever one becomes prevvy to the idea that the company is not legitemate or denies access to the computer via remote desktop they will retaliate by destroying that of your whichever they can such as your E-mail account and if you did let them into your machine via remote desktop they will destroy your computer's hard drive and steal your identity.

Companies like that need to be reported and you can most certainly report them if you find even the slightest thing suspicious. You can report them to the Internet Crimes Commission at http://www.ic3.gov/alliances.aspx. Be specific as you can with as many details about the incident such as times of occurrance and names of people you have spoken with representing the offending company or entity.

Let's put these people out of business, folks.

Posting Champion
    Wolfgangbuster, I get these calls all the time. The last call was from some asshole (with a foreign accent) stating that he was calling from the MGM Hotel and Casino, and that he had a certified check for me....I didn't hear the rest as I hung up. He called right back and before he could say anything, I told him I wasn't interested and to take me off his list and never call me again, and then I hung up. He called back again, and before he could say anything I told him to get off of my phone line. He called back again, and this time I didn't even bother to pick up the phone. This last call, he left a message on my answering machine stating that he had a certified check for me, then he hung up. What these assholes don't realize is that I can hear the other people in his call center saying the exact same things that he was saying, not to mention that, if a company has a certified check for me, they won't call me to tell me they have a check, they'll just mail it to me....I mean, DUH!

Before that, I got a call from another asshole with a foreign accent, stating, "This is Microsoft calling, and we have detected errors on your computer. (this is another age old scam). I told him to go f*ck himself and if he ever called my phone again, I'd come to his country and kill him and everyone in his f*cking family....including his family members, his dog, his cat, his goldfish, and then I'd burn his f*cking house down. That usually stops them from calling again.
    Last edited by Dekoda; 14th June 2014 at 12:49 AM.

Posting Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Dekoda View Post
    Wolfgangbuster, I get these calls all the time. The last call was from some asshole (with a foreign accent) stating that he was calling from the MGM Hotel and Casino, and that he had a certified check for me....I didn't hear the rest as I hung up. He called right back and before he could say anything, I told him I wasn't interested and to take me off his list and never call me again, and then I hung up. He called back again, and before he could say anything I told him to get off of my phone line. He called back again, and this time I didn't even bother to pick up the phone. This last call, he left a message on my answering machine stating that he had a certified check for me, then he hung up. What these assholes don't realize is that I can hear the other people in his call center saying the exact same things that he was saying, not to mention that, if a company has a certified check for me, they won't call me to tell me they have a check, they'll just mail it to me....I mean, DUH!

Before that, I got a call from another asshole with a foreign accent, stating, "This is Microsoft calling, and we have detected errors on your computer. (this is another age old scam). I told him to go f*ck himself and if he ever called my phone again, I'd come to his country and kill him and everyone in his f*cking family....including his family members, his dog, his cat, his goldfish, and then I'd burn his f*cking house down. That usually stops them from calling again.
    You could put that first guy who claimed he was from the MGM hotel in jail because repeated unwanted calls like the ones he was making to you incessantly is a clear form of harassment and that's illegal. If the calls were made to your cell your phone already has recorded a history of that asshole's repeated calls including the timestamps & such.

Posting Champion
    I couldn't find the 'Cool Interesting Links' thread so I thought I'd put it here.

This is an amazing video that I discovered recently. Very dreamlike and brilliantly composed.

I've done a little bit of Online searching but have found very little information on this video, however it does deserve alot of credit for all the detail and imagination that went into it.

Posting Champion
    This afternoon I happened to be in the neighbourhood and visited the McDonalds where several months ago the pretty young blonde lady had went on the rampage, as I reckon many of you have already seen the video that went viral. Amazing that this world-wide breaking news story had happened in this vicinity. Inside it looked like any other McDonalds but still was kind of eerie looking at that one cooler behind the counter and remembering that little lady knocking that thing over like it was nothing. Then of course the milkshake dispenser... heh heh
    Attached Images Attached Images