The themes Bond.... James Bond

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The themes Bond.... James Bond

Ok first off no giving away anything important about the new film in this thread as not everyone will have seen it.

I am currently sat watching Golden Eye - the script writers may have let him down but Pierce is my favorite Bond.

The thing that strikes me watching this is that is fits the Bond formula and this is where the new batch have lacked in my opinion. They have been good action films but not Bond films.

Golden Eye we open mid mission and its clean neat, we have crazy stunts and gadgets from the off and then a big evil head quarters blows up! We then get a pointless sexy car chaise, a fluesy is shagged and then we are all boat chases and clear recognizable character roles start to emerge. Great.

Do you remember when Bond films were all about the one stunt and these amazing stunt teams would perform unseen feats (previously untried feats) just to entertain us! That's why I watched a bond, to see a man free fall in real life behind a plane!

Also (and I promise this gives nothing away) the latest Bond film is set in London - WRONG. As English we like the seeing the charming English man with all our manors etc in tropical settings because home is cold and grey and cold grey and not sexy. A whole film of London is not escapism and that's what a Bond film should be.

Ohh also can I start a sub section of the Bonds that could have been. Sean Bean is an amazing baddy BUT what a Bond he would have made!

So who's on your top Bond list, what is your favorite film, stunt, moment, theme song and who do you think would have made an excellent Bond.

I like the even older Bond movies better, ones like the Spy Who Loved Me. With the ridiculous big and advanced evil HQ. Two even in case of that movie Fun opening (mid mission as it should be) too http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaEU_A405zA , typical Bond ending of that part. I think I like Roger Moore best as bond, more humor.

Somewhat in defense of the new movie, the stunts in that one are also real as in all Bond movies. They take pride in not using CGI for the stunts. Best not talk about the new movie to much, it's hard not to spoil it for others.

Yeah, the villain must have a big evil HQ. And of course a stupidly complicated plan to Conquer the World. Or was that Pinky and the Brain? Escapism is indeed my preferred type of bond movie, realism is overrated.

The new movie was shot in London/UK mostly for budget reasons btw, building Big Evil HQ's is expensive

Comment

Well Roger Moore was/is my favourite Bond... In saying that.. I am no huge Bond fan and probably have only seen 4 or 5 of them. So my vote should only count as a half a vote.
      But the Roger Moore ones were very much "all about the one stunt and these amazing stunt teams would perform unseen feats (previously untried feats) just to entertain us."

Comment

haha... Nice one Frans... haha. Just saw your post after I sent mine... good choice...

Comment

Originally posted by masie View Post
          ... but Pierce is my favorite Bond.
          Masie, Pierce is My wife's favorite Bond too!
          I'd have to say I like the old Sean Connery Bond best.
          People seem too love Daniel Craig, but as Bond, not so much.

Comment

Daniel Bourne, heh.. Sean Connery is nice too, more the rugged spy and prolly closer to Ian Fleming's idea than Roger Moore. Moore had more fun toys though

Comment

Probably Goldfinger is my favourite Bond movie. But thanks to Masie's post and one of my TFNN show hosts talking about it so much, I'm more inclined to venture the $19.50 or so to go see Goldeneye sometime soon.

Comment

Originally posted by wolfgangbuster29 View Post
                Probably Goldfinger is my favourite Bond movie. But thanks to Masie's post and one of my TFNN show hosts talking about it so much, I'm more inclined to venture the $19.50 or so to go see Goldeneye sometime soon.
                Really? $19.50 to see a movie? I'm glad I don't live in your neighborhood. At the local cinema here, it costs $8 to see a movie....$9 on weekends.

Comment

As for the best Bond, it's always been Sean Connery....with Daniel Craig being number 2. Sean Connery is what James Bond is all about....he's not too pretty, he has an air of violence about him, and he looks like he can do the job. All of the other Bonds have been too prissy looking....as if they couldn't beat their way out of a paper bag. Of course, to each his/her own as that's what makes the world go round.

Comment

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter

Sign up for the abby newsletter. Don't worry, we'll NEVER share your email address with anyone.
                  Working...
                  X