Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How does abbywinters.com make shoots?

Hi folks,

Here's the text from a Press Release we're just about to send out. Let us know what you think!

g
    (Amsterdam) Today, abbywinters.com announced the release of their content-making training site, http://learn.abbywinters.com. The site contains around 55 hours of training videos (complete with workbooks, tests and assignments), to support in-house staff and off-site Contract Shooters producing content meeting the site’s requirements.

Many of the videos were made by CEO Garion Hall, who said, “It’s a risk to ‘open-source’ our methods, as we discuss in detail the ‘secret herbs and spices’ to make an AW shoot… but any astute producer could look at our shoots and work that out anyway. By helping experienced content producers to learn our ‘paradigm’, we make it easy for them to earn money, while improving our content quality”.

Training shooters is primarily Hall’s responsibility, the old way involving six weeks of intensive 1:1 time. Now, the teaching and learning is time-shifted, Hall can enjoy six months a year travelling, while remotely reviewing shooters’ work!

But, training staff and contractors is not the end goal: Hall plans to launch a marketplace, using abbywinters.com’s pay-per-scene technology, allowing producers inspired by the abbywinters.com paradigm to release shoots the site does not purchase, but making them available to its’ member-base. The site shares in the revenue with the original producer.

This provides opportunities for customers to be more engaged, raise revenues, have a larger and more varied content-base, more frequent updates, and increase models’ takings from their work (as they can self-publish on the new platform).

“It takes around 60 hours to complete ‘the essentials’ course”, Hall said – a huge commitment, “but it rules out the tyre-kickers”. Contract Shooter in training Pax, said, “I have some photography experience, and offered to shoot my girlfriend for the site. They introduced me to the training stuff, and now I am working through it – it’s engaging and interesting, I’m two-thirds complete - I see the 60 hours as an investment and a wonderful opportunity to learn from world-class professionals. I plan to become a full time shooter for the site!”.

Another shooter in training, Misha, says, “I find the relaxed delivery really easy to listen to. I watch each video twice, so I really absorb it”.

Hall will be attending some of the European conferences, is happy to talk in more detail about open-sourcing methodologies.

wow... this is AbbyWinters.. :-)

Comment

Very interesting.

Comment

Me as a shooter, I am definitely interested in checking this out.

Comment

Nice and I'm sure there will be some insightful tidbits even for us members.

Comment

Originally posted by garionhall View Post
            Hall plans to launch a marketplace, using abbywinters.com’s pay-per-scene technology, allowing producers inspired by the abbywinters.com paradigm to release shoots the site does not purchase, but making them available to its’ member-base. The site shares in the revenue with the original producer.
            Does it mean that there will be shoots on the aw website which won't be included in the subscription?!

Comment

Originally posted by redlabka View Post
              Does it mean that there will be shoots on the aw website which won't be included in the subscription?!
              I wonder if that it might be the natural progression of the http://www.lesbiankino.com/ website or the like.
              So won't be on the official AW website... But one of the sister companies of AW that exist.

That is how I read it anyway.

Comment

Correct - shoots created by others that are "inspired by" AW, will be made available to AW members and guests at a price the producer sets, not as part of a regular subscription.

Comment

Originally posted by mrpinkeyes View Post
                  I wonder if that it might be the natural progression of the http://www.lesbiankino.com/ website or the like.
                  So won't be on the official AW website... But one of the sister companies of AW that exist.
                  Pinky, we have a different plan for lesbiankino.com and girlkino.com, where producers we have already partnered with can add their content and link people to the site. We plan on adding the pay-per-scene technology there as well (like we have on abbywinters.com currently).

Comment

Correct - shoots created by others that are "inspired by" AW, will be made available to AW members and guests at a price the producer sets, not as part of a regular subscription.
                    I kept my subscription (even with the reduced number of updates and the raised price) because I don't want to think if a shoot is worth buying or not. It will be frustrating to see shoots to which I don't have access. So I guess that I will have to switch to pay per shoot instead of subscription.

Is it your plan to make people switch from subscription to pay per shoot?

Comment

I kept my subscription (even with the reduced number of updates and the raised price) because I don't want to think if a shoot is worth buying or not. It will be frustrating to see shoots to which I don't have access. So I guess that I will have to switch to pay per shoot instead of subscription.

Is it your plan to make people switch from subscription to pay per shoot?
                      Redlabka, we do not mind if you choose PPS or subscription-based access, I encourage you (and everyoen!), to choose an type that suits their preferences best. As a long-time member, you may not have noticed, that PPS and subs are side-by-side on our join page (www.abbywinters.com/join, you have to be logged out to see).

As a subscribed who accesses all-3 sites, you also may not be aware that for people who pay to access one site have a user preference to "Don't tease me - only show me what I have paid for", which would apply for subscribers for these "inspired by" shoots.

Comment

The video about grooming is interesting.
                        It says that the shooters must always obscure tattoos and do anything to do it (even make the girls keep items of clothing or put band-aids on them).

So when the models keep their clothes, these aren't some errors from the shooters but a decision from Garion.
                        I guess that we will keep getting these bad shoots...

Comment

That must be flexible rule then, cos I can easily see a tattoo here: http://www.abbywinters.com/nude_girl...lls/kenzei_105

Then again, AW doesn't exactly focus on tattoo's so not getting close-ups of them is hardly surprising.

Comment

Yip....
                            "Unacceptable - No effort to shoot around tattos"
                            Can't get much clearer than that, luckily for us some "Unacceptable" shoots have still made it to the site like some of Yara's. Esmeralda's Bisera's & Brooklyn's shoots.

Maybe this is just a rule for the contract shooters and the home crew have a little more flexibility?

Comment

Yip....
                              Can't get much clearer than that, luckily for us some "Unacceptable" shoots have still made it to the site like some of Yara's. Esmeralda's Bisera's & Brooklyn's shoots.

Maybe this is just a rule for the contract shooters and the home crew have a little more flexibility?
                              Not a lot more. I presume the reason Kenzei never took her top off is that she has a tattoo on her back, and Beatrix kept her top on for her whole shoot just because she had one little tattoo on her hip which we saw in the last shot anyway. The high (or low) point was probably Nela's shoot, where she kept putting her cardigan on and taking it off and at one stage balancing it uncomfortably on her shoulder in order to hide the tattoo she has there, which can be seen in the first shot anyway.

It really is a a bit ridiculous. The idea is to make the girls look wholesome and natural, and for some reason even a little tattoo is seen as being unnatural. I don't like tattoos myself but personally I think that the covering up is ten times as unnatural as a tattoo on a girl.

Comment

thanks for the feedback folks, it's helpful.

Comment

Yip....
                                  Note that it says 'no *effort* to shoot *around*...' . Doesn't mean tattoo's are 100% disallowed, just that the shoot should make an effort to shoot around and/or not focus on them. Which makes sense. Leaving clothing on is perhaps not the best way to handle it, that's another discussion (which we've had on several threads already ;-).

Comment

thanks for the feedback folks, it's helpful.
                                    Good to know that you that you hear our feedback.
                                    I hope that you will update your directives soon and tell the shooters that they have to film the whole models fully naked.

Comment

Even on the latest picture of a day, tattoos are hidden...
                                      We won't be freed soon from this hiding tattoos policy.

Comment

Just so you know Redlabka, that picture is from several months ago, and was during a solo shoot. They may have eased up on this no-tattoo policy since then. From what I've gathered, the policy is still in place for solo shoots and stills, but less so for videos.

Comment

redlabka, we've received your message loud and clear. It's not necessary to continue re-stating it.

However, if there are some nuances you'd ike to discuss, you're welcome to email me directly - garion.hall@abbywinters.com

Comment

redlabka, we've received your message loud and clear. It's not necessary to continue re-stating it.

However, if there are some nuances you'd ike to discuss, you're welcome to email me directly - garion.hall@abbywinters.com
                                            Yes, Garion, you have said that you received the feedback and that it was helpful. But you haven't said whether you have changed the strict "hide all tattoos" policy stated in your video of instructions to shooters. And what Redlabka was saying was that judging by the recent pic of the day showing Jada with her top hiding her little tattoo, it doesn't seem to have changed at all.

Jada also keeps her top on in her recent gg with Kenji.

So the question is, has the policy changed or not? And if it has changed, what is it now?

Comment

This is brilliant and why I'm such a fan of abbywinters

Comment

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter

Sign up for the abby newsletter. Don't worry, we'll NEVER share your email address with anyone.
                                              Working...
                                              X