Pointless tag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pointless tag

I was looking at the homepage and I saw one of the random tags that came up:

Fat stupid ugly

And I wondered why somebody would do that. There are some models who don't appeal to me -- we all have our preferences, and so do I -- but I just move on and find another model I would rather look at. If you ask me, to be insulting is negative and a waste of time. In my case it was even counterproductive, because I clicked to see who had generated that feedback.

Why would anybody put up a tag like that?

--t

Hi Todhunter

That's such a shame that someone would put something that negative up. Its really surprising that a member of Abby Winters would write such a thing.
    I completely agree with you, if someone does not appeal to you move on, no need to be hurtful and insulting!
    I wonder if that tag can be removed by admin?

Alex

Comment

One of the downsides I saw coming immedietly when I heard AW was going to employ a tagging feature into the site. I knew it would be just a matter of time before we'd run into the problem of an AW member using the tagging system to a negative advantage such as that.

Comment

This is the good news now:
        You can't find anything anymore by clicking on this tag. (well: I don't...)
        Yes, nobody should ever insult in such way, nowhere...

Comment

I placed a bunch of new tags, so hopefully this ugly and stupid tag is soon pushed out of the "recent tags" frame...

Comment

As I understand, though, members do have the option to 'vote down' a tag that they feel is inappropriate or not fitting. I have not seen the tage the OP is referring to but if I do I will be sure and vote it down with hopes more members on this site will follow suit.

Comment

Originally posted by theOnlyInyan View Post
              I placed a bunch of new tags, so hopefully this ugly and stupid tag is soon pushed out of the "recent tags" frame...
              It's better to vote the evil tag down. If it is an offending tag (like the one discussed here) it will most of the times be taken care of by staff, if not feel free to report via forum or feedback page and said tag will vanish

Comment

Originally posted by Frans View Post
                It's better to vote the evil tag down. If it is an offending tag (like the one discussed here) it will most of the times be taken care of by staff, if not feel free to report via forum or feedback page and said tag will vanish
                I like this.... I'm sure this must be something new as I'm recall the voting down tags was the only way previously to get rid of such tags or obvious incorrect tags... ie Kylie H being pregnant...

Although I really wish people would choose to tag the shoot not the model.... By searching tags you would think Rosanna, Hannah C and others are pregnant in every shoot.

ohhhh tags

Comment

Originally posted by Frans View Post
                  Frans, I see your point and I agree. But the discussion I was trying to start was "Why would somebody do this?" I chose not to link to the model so the discussion would not center on her and whether she was deserving of the the tag.

--t

Comment

You are asking: Why are people like they are?
                    I think there is no answer for this question. They are just like they are...
                    And there are worse people around.

Comment

You are asking: Why are people like they are?
                      I think there is no answer for this question. They are just like they are...
                      And there are worse people around.
                      Yeah, there are people who can't be decent. If that tagger keeps his opinion for himself, fine. But he really doesn't need to tag it so openly negatively.

Comment

agreed! ... 8 9 10

Comment

On each shoot, the AW staff puts a long sentence as a tag (ie: "smiling amateur with glasses and blonde muff", "boyfriend and girlfriend perform 69", "dancing naked in the shower together"...).
                          I thought that tags were supposed to help us find many shoots about a specific theme. With long sentences like these, it's not possible to find more than one shoot matching the tag!

If we have to vote down tags created by the aw staff, it will be complicated...

Comment

You mean like in Gretchen's solo shoot http://www.abbywinters.com/nude_girl...retchen_solo_5 where the long tag is 'smiling amateur with glasses and blonde muff' ? Those long tags are to make shoots easier to find via a search engine.

If you mean something else please post a link to the shoot you want and tell us the name of the tag which is the problem.

Comment

Well if that's been proven to work for the sake of AW's SEO technique then I couldn't imagine it being anything but a good thing. Rock on, AW site techs.

Comment

Yes, that's what I'm talking about. If AW thinks that putting these sentences in the url and in the description of the shoot helps the SEO, it's ok.
                                But it shouldn't be visible in the tag list for the users. The tags are already bad enough without these sentences.

Comment

Originally posted by redlabka View Post
                                  Yes, that's what I'm talking about. If AW thinks that putting these sentences in the url and in the description of the shoot helps the SEO, it's ok.
                                  But it shouldn't be visible in the tag list for the users. The tags are already bad enough without these sentences.
                                  Totally agree

Comment

hey folks,

This is my department.

The Gretchen example Frans posted is definitely on the long side. As Frans also said, the sentences (or keywords) do affect SEO positively for us, which in these times is of critical importance. The idea is, if someone, somewhere, types in "smiling amateur with glasses and blonde muff" (perhaps becasue this reminds them of a crush they had on a girl at school, or an ex-GF or somesuch), we win. See:

Search the world's information, including webpages, images, videos and more. Google has many special features to help you find exactly what you're looking for.

(If you care to learn more on how this works, and how you could do this yourself, there's more info here; http://learn.abbywinters.com/post-pr...aningful-tags/

Redlabka, can you expand on why specifically you find the longer ones annoying?

Comment

Originally posted by garionhall View Post
                                      The Gretchen example Frans posted is definitely on the long side. As Frans also said, the sentences (or keywords) do affect SEO positively for us, which in these times is of critical importance. The idea is, if someone, somewhere, types in "smiling amateur with glasses and blonde muff" (perhaps becasue this reminds them of a crush they had on a girl at school, or an ex-GF or somesuch), we win. See:

Search the world's information, including webpages, images, videos and more. Google has many special features to help you find exactly what you're looking for.

(If you care to learn more on how this works, and how you could do this yourself, there's more info here; http://learn.abbywinters.com/post-pr...aningful-tags/
                                      Your example doesn't work that well with a normal search request (without the underscores) : https://www.google.com/#q=smiling%20...0blonde%20muff

Originally posted by garionhall View Post
                                      Redlabka, can you expand on why specifically you find the longer ones annoying?
                                      When we click on a tag, we are supposed to see more shoots matching this tag. It will never happen with complex tags.
                                      If there were the tags "smiling", "amateur", "glasses" and "blonde muff" instead of the long one, we could click on each one and find more shoots.
                                      It shouldn't be possible to click on a long sentence because it will never go to an interesting page.
                                      That's why I think that long sentences should only be in the description or comments of the shoots.

Asking us to vote Up and Down tags is strange when you don't really care about the quality of the tags but just about their SEO values.

Comment

well the thing I don't get is, there is nothing stopping that shoot from having the shorter one word tags as well as the long sentance ones, so the shoot will still be visable with other shoots with the simple tags, sure the tag might be next to useless as a tag for finding other shoots that have common aspects, but mehhh, thats what the other tags are for

Comment

Originally posted by redlabka View Post
                                          Your example doesn't work that well with a normal search request (without the underscores) : https://www.google.com/#q=smiling%20...0blonde%20muff
                                          oohh, quite right, I was lazy there (copied and pasted from the URL). Searching without underscores still shows AW in the top four results (tho, your link has different results to mine - I think Google does some location stuff?).

When we click on a tag, we are supposed to see more shoots matching this tag. It will never happen with complex tags. If there were the tags "smiling", "amateur", "glasses" and "blonde muff" instead of the long one, we could click on each one and find more shoots.
                                          It shouldn't be possible to click on a long sentence because it will never go to an interesting page.
                                          That's why I think that long sentences should only be in the description or comments of the shoots.
                                          Hm. A good and valid point. Our goal is to for these sorts of tags (internally, we call them Meaningful Tags) to be valuable for BOTH SEO and site customers. I agree this specific one is stretching the friendship, there's likely to be no other shoots that meaningfully match that. Looking at the news page, I see around half are "sensible" (ie, useful in the way you describe), and half are not (again, in the way you describe). We can make adjustments in how we add meaningful tags (ie, so they are useful in both ways), I'd guess more like 75% of them would be useful in both ways.

But, as you identify, the purposes, while similar, are a little different.

Asking us to vote Up and Down tags is strange when you don't really care about the quality of the tags but just about their SEO values.
                                          Oh, I care plenty about the quality of the tags (as in, the quality of the results customers see when clicking on them). We have expended enormous effort on improving this (the biggest change, and the most effective, is the Tag Threshold control, set in My Account), and there is a lot more to go. There's another project we're working on, Fetish pages, based on tags. Very much in Beta mode, here: http://www.abbywinters.com/fetish. Once it's working smoother, the idea is to open this up to customers to propose siginificant tags, and recommend "perfect" content for it. There's also much work gone into makes tags work smoother for customers behind the scenes.

I ask for your consideration: you're only concerned about how the sites looks for you (fair enough!). I'm concerned about how it looks for you, for thousands of other customers, and, in getting more people to find and join the site. It's a difficult path, to keep all parties satisfied, and we're always refining it.

This feedback helps more, so thanks for offering it. Any time you'd like to post more example "over the top" URL's, please do so here (or e me directly, garion.hall@abbywinters.com.
                                          Last edited by garionhall; 2 March 2014, 06:00 PM. Reason: fix formatting of quotes

Comment

I agree, this is a tricky one. I work with meaningful tags a bit too, and there are different priorities that sometimes overlap, and sometimes are at odds with each other. Meaningful tags contribute to:
                                            • SEO - securing higher ranking in relevant searches.
                                            • Navigation - actually meaningfully identifying key qualities of the page, such as to help members find what they want.
                                            • Variety - pointing out what is different between superficially similar shoots.
                                            • More?

It's great when all of these things play into each other, but at the extremes of each consideration there come costs to the others. For instance, the example Gretchen shoot above was full of great SEO keywords, at the expense of navigatio. Conversely, applying just the most relevant tag (in terms of navigation) as the meaningful tag would come at the expense of SEO and variety perception (SEO thrives on specificity, and variety perception is all about calling out the most unique details over the dominant features).

I think there definitely is an attainable sweet spot, and one of the most valuable things we can have in attempting to reach that sweet spot is feedback.

Comment

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter

Sign up for the abby newsletter. Don't worry, we'll NEVER share your email address with anyone.
                                            Working...
                                            X