HPV and Hep-A/B Vaccines in Australia?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HPV and Hep-A/B Vaccines in Australia?

Are the models on AW, both female and male, commonly vaccinated against HPV? See this URL for definitions:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HPV_vaccine#Australia

Do they also receive the Hep-A/B vaccines? See this URL for definitions:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hepatitis_B_vaccine

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twinrix

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hepatitis_A_vaccine

That's a pretty personal question, you know? Like... I realise that it sounds strange to say it after I was just recently extolling the virtues of open discourse about STIs and sexual health.

But, whether or not a model chooses to get a vaccination has absolutely no bearing on whether or not she HAS the disease being vaccinated against. An STI test can only be positive or negative, a negative result is not made MORE negative by also having the vaccination.

If abbywinters started forcing models to get a vaccinations it would be a huge breach of their upstanding ethical code. On the one hand, some people are unable to be vaccinated for various reasons (some medical, some religious, some philisophical) and on the other hand, any company that started trying to enforce their own ideas on a model's personal medical decisions wouldn't be one worth working for.

Edit: That's not to say that models themselves shouldn't answer this question, just that abbywinters' responsibility (and perogative) ends at ensuring all models are safe, clean and healthy for the shoots.

Comment

Originally posted by kylie_h View Post
      That's a pretty personal question, you know? Like... I realise that it sounds strange to say it after I was just recently extolling the virtues of open discourse about STIs and sexual health.

But, whether or not a model chooses to get a vaccination has absolutely no bearing on whether or not she HAS the disease being vaccinated against. An STI test can only be positive or negative, a negative result is not made MORE negative by also having the vaccination.

If abbywinters started forcing models to get a vaccinations it would be a huge breach of their upstanding ethical code. On the one hand, some people are unable to be vaccinated for various reasons (some medical, some religious, some philisophical) and on the other hand, any company that started trying to enforce their own ideas on a model's personal medical decisions wouldn't be one worth working for.

Edit: That's not to say that models themselves shouldn't answer this question, just that abbywinters' responsibility (and perogative) ends at ensuring all models are safe, clean and healthy for the shoots.
      Excellent points. All an employer can, and should, do would be to make the workers aware of the availability of the preventative measures, such as vaccines and how to obtain them.
      Thanks for you answer.

Comment

I was told when I went to get my sexual health certificate to work with AW (which detects stds and hep a + b oral anal or vaginal) that I could get the vaccination and I did. IT DIDN'T WORK. I had it a second time IT DIDN'T WORK. I haven't gone back since. To be honest I have a regular partner and only work with 4 girls a year (if I'm lucky) for modelling work (they are also certed) so I am not a high risk of getting it anyway. I think if models did boy/girl work it would be different? Maybe that's just me?

Comment

Hey all,

I agree with Kylie's points that all an employer should do is make sure relevant people are save. However I think that people should have vacations, providing that they are able to do. Having such vacations not only protects the person but also others they come into contact with, I think agencies such as abby winters should provide all people participating in any type of sex with another model should be provided with information and the opportunity to get vaccinated. I say this because if the person is able to be vaccinated in not only protects them but others too.

Alex

Comment

I have had the Hep B vaccine and like Pippa didn't work the first few times. Think it took about 6 times before my body remembered it.

Yucky HUGE injections that they are....

Comment

My recollection from getting the Hepatitis vaccines (A and B) was that they require boosters at 6 month intervals (can't remember if it was 1 or 2). Granted, it wasn't 6 boosters, but my point is just that I don't think its supposed to work long-term after 1 go. I also thought the hep A vaccine was only strictly necessary in developing nations. I had to have it as a kid, but I was told it was due to the close proximity to Mexico - I'd imagine its not routine in northern europe.

Comment

Originally posted by mrpinkeyes View Post
                I have had the Hep B vaccine and like Pippa didn't work the first few times. Think it took about 6 times before my body remembered it.

Yucky HUGE injections that they are....
                It feels like its being injected straight into your muscle.. I really didn't like it, after it didn't work I decided I wouldnt do it again. It's not like any vaccination I remember having

Comment

By memory I think its suppose to be a course of two over 3 or 6 months and is intramuscular.
                  After the first couple of courses didn't take, so they injected it intradermally instead and that seemed to finally take after the second take. That took about 3 mins to inject each one. I had a injection in each are each time.

For me it was required to be vaccinated while on dialysis plus they believed it gave you a greater chance of receiving a transplant. Never actually worked out why, But if the said sleeping while standing on my head gave a greater chance of receiving a transplant I would have done it.

Comment

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter

Sign up for the abby newsletter. Don't worry, we'll NEVER share your email address with anyone.
                  Working...
                  X