A fun toy to have...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A fun toy to have...

This toy is not for everyone, but I can see that having one could be useful in recording various outdoor activities. Here is a video of it being used effectively to watch people having fun in the mud.

'qualifies for free shipping'..heh, I'll bet it just ships itself ;-)

It does sound like a fun idea, but I'm worried about noise.. it mostly intended as video-only I think. Besides, you might attract a crowd if you're filming a g/g outdoors using this.
    Still, Masie prolly would have fun with it... (her dog poppy could chase it)

Comment

I've been wanting to get one of these just to have as an additional means of videography that I could have in my arsenal of capabilities.

A much more affordable version of this type of thing has become popular among gift and novelty retailers like Brookstone here in the States is this one. I understand that there are even aftermarket controller kits for these that can offer better control over the machine as it is in the air. The only thing with these is to not let it get out of range of your controller lest the wind carry it off-course or the mere loss of signal connection with your machine will allow it to fly off and either crash or become lost.

Comment

Originally posted by wolfgangbuster29 View Post
        I've been wanting to get one of these just to have as an additional means of videography that I could have in my arsenal of capabilities.

A much more affordable version of this type of thing has become popular among gift and novelty retailers like Brookstone here in the States is this one. I understand that there are even aftermarket controller kits for these that can offer better control over the machine as it is in the air. The only thing with these is to not let it get out of range of your controller lest the wind carry it off-course or the mere loss of signal connection with your machine will allow it to fly off and either crash or become lost.
        According to the website, if this gets out of signal range, the built in GPS automatically returns to the spot and lands it where it took off so that you don't lose it.

When I first saw this video, I thought of you since I know that you are involved with video, and I thought that you most likely had looked into something like this.

Comment

Cool. That's thoughtful of you.

It was a couple years ago when I discovered these and I might've even posted something about it here in the boards, perhaps in the Interesting Links thread but I'm not sure.

Either way, these dronie things seem to be something that would be fun to use and it is good to know that there are companies out there willing to compete with Parrot by adding the GPS homing feature and the handheld control module that, to me anyways, would seem alot easier to use than thying to steer my drone using a tablet or cellphone and being at the mercy of a Wi-Fi interface and its limitations and latency issues. I could readily imagine there being as much as a 500 Ms latency with the Wi-Fi configuration and all the devices the signal would have to go through just to send a command.

Comment

Hope you didn't disappoint the ladies with this thread Dekoda

Drones are definitely here to stay !.I can just see it now in the not too far future, dozens of drones representing Media ( and possibly the private citizen as well ) hovering above major outdoor events such as music concerts, sports events, natural disasters, major political rallies etc..
            Last edited by tjsunray; 20 February 2014, 05:57 PM.

Comment

I think now would be the best time for certain laws to be made that would define what areas of the open public would be considered 'no fly zones' for personally owned and operated drones and even for drones owned and operated by professional business, and further, I believe now is the best time that the rules and regulations be laid down for Law enforcement and other investigative agencies that will define and set fair limits on their use of drones so as to preserve what little bit of privacy citizens still have.

Drones are useful in the right contexts and they can be fun to fly as a hobby or a profession but there should be some clearly defined ettiquettes and protocols set forth that will define the fair and proper, responsible use of drones, universally and abroad.

Comment

Once these drones come equipped, say with a zoom, microphone, video taping features, and the demand brings down the cost, then it's open season and as you say, new laws will have to be put in place and enforced....one example, for copyright protection. Just imagine this scenario:...you're attending a music/rock concert and over the speakers you hear this announcement : " Please be forewarned !...no personal drones permitted within 1/4 mile of center stage or your drone will be confiscated !...thank you, enjoy the concert !
                Last edited by tjsunray; 21 February 2014, 03:55 AM.

Comment

I agree with Wolfgang....there will need to be laws regulating the use of these things....on both sides of the issue. If a woman goes out on her roof that has a privacy fence and lays out in the sun to sunbathe in the nude, one of these things could video her sunbathing....a violation of her privacy. Also, if one of these things tried to video someone who didn't want to be video'd, they might shoot it down. If it's on their property, they have a right to shoot it down....(I probably would.) Of course, with better optics, these things could fly so high that you wouldn't be able to hear them, but they would have the ability to video record you at that altitude....a scary possibility.

Comment

This one here could be considered the ultimate spy drone and could be devastating if even a downscale of something like this were to be in the hands of wrong people.

I commend the AW crew for having the ability to arrange and execute a terrific outdoor shoot and there's no doubt in my mind that AW takes great care to be sure where and when they are shooting their models outdoors that they are in an area that is safe for everyone and away from suspicious, prying eyes or even other, stray cameras that might be in the hands of someone else in the area. Drones wandering into the area could represent a serious copyright infringement situation against AW and although the area AW has chosen for the shoot might be in a public place such as a nature park, still it could be considered in bad judgment for anyone to willfully and knowingly invade the area, just as much as it would be in bad judgment for a drone operator to willfully steer their drone into the area where a family might be enjoying a picnic in another area of the park or in another park. That general rule should also apply to settings within a city or even inside a building.

That being said, it should be clearly in someone's right to either shoot down or knock down one of these drones in any even they feel their privacy or best interests are being compromised by a srprise visit from one of those whirlygig camera thingies we've come to know as drones.

Spying has always been in bad tase and in many instances illegal, so that general rule of thumb should be readily applied to any device such as a drone, no matter how small or large that has the capability of capturing and recording what it sees without the prior consent of all who are involved.

Comment

That being said, it should be clearly in someone's right to either shoot down or knock down one of these drones in any even they feel their privacy or best interests are being compromised by a srprise visit from one of those whirlygig camera thingies we've come to know as drones.
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	space gun.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	646806

When that day arrives, inevitably there will be new laws enforced pertaining to the extermination of these drones by firearms in mid air. To counteract for this solution we might see a similar product on the market.

- Stop those dreaded Drones from invading your privacy !...Get " Drone Buster "...only $129.50.

- Zapps and disables video taping instantly.

- Comes with a beeper to detect any incoming drones within the radius of 2000 feet.

- Upgrade model also available...will deactivate motor function ability...( use at own risk )

- Batteries not included.

Comment

My previous post might seem a bid far fetched but the dawn of the drone era is not too far away according to Amazon who is prepared to bring it to even greater heights..... ( pun intended )

Comment

Heh-heh TJ I got a chuckle out of that one line in there that said about videotaping since tape is so obsolete these days thanks to modern technology.

But I was going to comment sooner or later on the aspect of shooting because basically, and in many states, it is illegal to fire a gun unless it can be proven that it was purely in self defense and evidence could show that it was a life-or-death situation. I don't think anyone would be able to prove to a judge that it was a life-or-death situation if the defense was just a camera drone that was otherwise weaponless, regardless. A more legal approach to knocking a pesky, nuisance or otherwise unwelcome camera drone out of the air could be with an air gun that shoots pellets, BBs or darts or you could even use a bow & arrow or a slingshot.

Would be interesting to hear what ideas some of our members might have as well for eradicating unwelcome camera drones that invade, spy or stalk.

Comment

Heh-heh TJ I got a chuckle out of that one line in there that said about videotaping since tape is so obsolete these days thanks to modern technology..
                            Wolfie...i'm drawing a blank !...what is the proper term used for a drone recording/taping a scenic event on the ground ?

Comment

Originally posted by tjsunray View Post
                              Wolfie...i'm drawing a blank !...what is the proper term used for a drone recording/taping a scenic event on the ground ?
                              Heh-heh I run into that question on occasion myself when I would be talking about shooting an interview or an event. But I'm thinkin' probably 'recording' or 'videoing' would be the most fitting terms.

Comment

Heh-heh I run into that question on occasion myself when I would be talking about shooting an interview or an event. But I'm thinkin' probably 'recording' or 'videoing' would be the most fitting terms.
                                Yeah,...back in the day, the word " taping " was used instead of recording, i still see it being used today. The word video or audio however still need to be specified when recording something so i think i will start using " video recording " from now on.

p.s. what do you think of the Amazon drone delivery concept...do you think it will fly ?...HaHa

Comment

I think today, the term is video recording....like, "I am video recording this event."

As to the Amazon drone delivery system, no that will never work. First, you'd need to hire an operator for every drone. If you are going to do that, why not just hire the driver to hand deliver the package? Not to mention that the driver can make sure that it was delivered to the correct person, whereas the drone would have to just leave it off at hopefully, the correct address. (What happens if a bird or other animal downs the drone? The package might have been expensive, so is Amazon willing to pay for the lost parcels? I doubt they would be willing to risk it.)

Comment

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter

Sign up for the abby newsletter. Don't worry, we'll NEVER share your email address with anyone.
                                  Working...
                                  X