Observations from Pedantic Pinky

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Observations from Pedantic Pinky

Normally when I log into abbywinters.com it goes directly to the forums link... where I check to see what's new the click across to the home page.

I very really look around the rest of the website anymore... Today for some unknown reason "Updates" jumped out at me, so I clicked the link and was surprised a little to see it is actually a link to "behind the scene" and "raves" archives. Shouldn't this link be labelled archives instead of updates??

So went exploring a little more....

and then I kinda gave up as this would have been a very very long post, it does appear that area's in Community and about are also more archives than current information, examples Reviews section, the scores do not seem to match the latest scores. Press section may not have been updated for 20 months based on the twitter link and last release was 2013. I understand that it was recently found that the equipment information was also not current (not sure if this has been fixed now from the about section.

But on a positive side... I did come across a Tag Merging rules link which I think should be promoted more to see if we can get the tag system actually functioning in a helpful way.

I appreciate that all this is "fluff" to the site and the important part is getting us great shoots on a regular basis, (something that does seem to be working) but if it's there shouldn't it be up to date and accurate especially as much of this information is advertising?

Just my observations on this cold Sunday afternoon.

Pinky

I't always been that when I log into the AW site it stays on the main page, and then I open the AW Forums on another tab. I have always found that in order to log into the AW Forums as a member, ya gotta first be logged into the mainsite.

I imagine that in some browsers there may be a setting that can be made that instructs the browser's behaviour that when such-&-such website home page is established, re-direct immediately to the other, specified page. I just never have looked for any kind of feature such as that but it wouldn't surprise me if some sort of intelligent feature like that did exist in at least one of the popular browsers out there.

Pinky, have you tried a different browser such as Opera to see whether there would be any differences in behaviour and navigation of the AW site?

Comment

Hi Wolfgang....

I have always set the AW forums in favourites in what ever browser I have used, and they all have saved my user ID and password, both for the forums and the site,,, They do seem to work independantly of each other. I never thought that wouldn't happen for everyone. If I recall correctly, haven't I read somewhere that you don't save your user name and password and thus log in each time?? Maybe that's why its different?

It's not uncommon for me to only look at the forums and not venture into the main site.

Over the years I have used firefox, IE & chrome never quite made it to Opera (yet). I recall reading somewhere what is the optimum brower for AW is, but can't recall what the answer is now. I have a funny feeling that firefox may have been used in the office at one time not sure if it still is. Sure there is a thread about it .

Comment

To login (i.e. user/password entering into box) you MUST be logged into the main AW site. Once logged in you can stay logged in for a long time though

Comment

Originally posted by Frans View Post
          To login (i.e. user/password entering into box) you MUST be logged into the main AW site. Once logged in you can stay logged in for a long time though
          True, however the Forums site has an automatic logout function if the browser is left idle on the Forums site, sort of an added security measure. However I do believe that there is a 'remember me' tickbox option at the login prompt when you sign in to the forums if you would rather the Forums site didn't timeout and log out automatically like that.

Comment

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter

Sign up for the abby newsletter. Don't worry, we'll NEVER share your email address with anyone.
          Working...
          X