New small feature: Larger image gallery thumbnails

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New small feature: Larger image gallery thumbnails

We have just released a new small feature on image gallery pages, with larger thumbnails, dynamic resizing, and alternating portrait / landscape "masonry"-style playcement. It's a little difficult to describe, so here's a link to the delightful Laura N: http://www.abbywinters.com/nude_girl.../images/stills

Because there's always haters, we have also included a option to revert back to the old-style, in MyAccount, Preferences, Thumbs on shoot image gallery pages. By default, everyone is set to the new style, but it's easy to switch back to the old style. If you do that, we'd like to know why.

Attached, a pic for reference.
    Attached Files

Pics are not in sequence/order in the new lay-out any more. Masonry looks a bit messy? Portrait pics are huge I understand why, just looks odd.

Comment

I was initially concerned by the order, but after looking at it more, I realised that the precise order is actually not that important. Our intent is always to present a loosely coupled collection of exciting images, and the sequence is not very relevant (certainly not between 5 to 10 images; it is between image 001 and 100, though, but that relationship is maintained with this layout and normal use cases).

We had the option of making larger landscape images and smaller portrait images (atm, we're specifying the image width, and letting the height calculate out; we could have done the opposite, and now I am kinda wishing we did... maybe one day).

I don;t reckon it's messy, but I guess it's personal choice...

Comment

Originally posted by garionhall View Post
        I was initially concerned by the order, but after looking at it more, I realised that the precise order is actually not that important.
        Garion, I disagree completely. The precise order is very important to take pleasure in looking the stills.

Comment

hey Bluelagoon, no problem, you should switch back to the old-style layout.

Comment

The autoloading of images can get confused if you scroll a lot before page is fully loaded. I've also seen order of pics being rather far apart. I'll attach some caps of Anjali's 2nd solo, between the 2 pics I only did a refresh and a quick scroll down. It def. does not like mousewheel-scrolling during load

I did save the page-source but there's doesn't seem to be much info there. Tested in Firefox. Granted, you do have to do some work to get this unwanted result, but it's possible.

Both pics are from the bottom of the page, thus should have the end pics (i.e. all pics of set on page, as in large layout there only *is* one page) First pic is best example of order/load issue.

1:
            Click image for larger version

Name:	anjali2-order.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	647532

2:
            Click image for larger version

Name:	anjali2-order-B.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	647533

Comment

Great idea to present quicky all the pictures. Keep that good work.

Comment

Thanks pongo!

Thanks Frans, can you please report this to the internal address as well, with the attaches?

Comment

I like it!

Comment

That is nice feature and much nicer than clicking through a lot of pages.

However, I've noticed something odd: Go to a imageset with many images, scroll to the end and click on one of the pictures at the end. Now, use the back button of the browser. It will try to scroll down automatically. This is right thing to do, but it takes too long to get to the end again, maybe because of the fade-in-effect or whatever.

Thats not big deal, i could just middle-click all interesting images and open tons of tabs instead of using the back button, but it's not perfect yet.

Comment

vollunsinn, try this; go to your user preferences (right-top of page) scroll down to 'Number of results' and change the number under 'Imagesets' to 100. Does that help/improve the situation?

Comment

Yes, that improves it very much.

But I've noted another thing: When clicking on a preview image on a shoot page, it appends a parameter like ?page=3 to the URL, which causes the image set to start somewhere more or less close to image I've clicked on. I can scroll down to end of the set, but not back to the beginning of the set. It always start where the page-Parameter set the starting point. Before that, I could go the first page.

Comment

Originally posted by vollunsinn View Post
                          But I've noted another thing: When clicking on a preview image on a shoot page, it appends a parameter like ?page=3 to the URL, which causes the image set to start somewhere more or less close to image I've clicked on. I can scroll down to end of the set, but not back to the beginning of the set. It always start where the page-Parameter set the starting point. Before that, I could go the first page.
                          Confirmed, looks like a bug. Will report that web-team, thanks!

Comment

The image quality on the thumbnails isn't great.
                            I think that it is because the images are upsized on the client side to take the whole page.
                            I would prefer having a margin on the sides of the page and see the images at their native resolution.

Comment

I just stumbled on this new layout style today and I was going to open a thread to say how much I preferred it! It's a great way to display images because it breaks up the monotony of looking at scores of same-sized blocks. If I had been asked in advance for my opinion, I think I might have disagreed with that logic.

I would make one small suggestion. If I scroll down and then click on a thumbnail to expand it and then <- back to the thumbnail page, I'm back to the start of that page. I don't know how difficult it would be to put me back to the middle just before I clicked. I'm using Firefox 36.0 if that helps...

But sometimes it does just what I want! Weird...
                              Last edited by AarontheMoor; 1 March 2015, 10:54 PM.

Comment

Here's what we understand the problems to be:

(1) When left-clicking the last image in a set and then using the browser's back button, users are not returned to the expected place (the bottom of the large thumbnail list), instead they are returned to the middle of the list somewhere.

For resolving this issue, we'll try diverting left-mouse-button clicks to open in a new tab, instead of loading in the same tab. This will effectively resolve the issue. Another option is to open the image in a lightbox (eg, like facebook, and every other site on the web - except ours!), as an overlay of the current page. Close the image and it reverts back to the original view. but let's try the new-tab approach first.

(2) Large thumbs sometimes look low-quality.

Thumbs are natively 300px wide. Depending on the width of the browser window, we sometimes proportionally stretch thumbs to a max of 400px, then they snap back to 300 and grow again, to fill the space to the margins of the window - try this by de-maximising the browser window, then adjusting the width.

Comment

Garion, the max-width is also used as max for portrait pictures. This *might* make them look less nice then you want ('cos limiting portrait on width gives them higher scaled result, if that makes sense). I'm not much good look for picture quality so please check. Lulu/Salma has plenty of portrait pics; http://www.abbywinters.com/girl_girl.../images/stills

Comment

It would be better to not have to resize the browser window to have good quality thumbnails.

Comment

We have just released a new small feature on image gallery pages, with larger thumbnails, dynamic resizing, and alternating portrait / landscape "masonry"-style playcement. It's a little difficult to describe, so here's a link to the delightful Laura N: http://www.abbywinters.com/nude_girl.../images/stills

Because there's always haters, we have also included a option to revert back to the old-style, in MyAccount, Preferences, Thumbs on shoot image gallery pages. By default, everyone is set to the new style, but it's easy to switch back to the old style. If you do that, we'd like to know why.

Attached, a pic for reference.
                                      This is the best technical change on AW for ages - especially for Backstage pics, with their (very slightly) lower quality.

Comment

thanks Dimble! We're releasing some more similar ones now as well - check out the Browse page.

Comment

How do you navigate to other pages of the image set?

For example if clicking on a preview image of a set navigates to a specific page like here - http://www.abbywinters.com/girl_girl.../stills?page=6

How do I go back to the beginning of the set?

Comment

Originally posted by rikenaw View Post
                                            How do you navigate to other pages of the image set?

For example if clicking on a preview image of a set navigates to a specific page like here - http://www.abbywinters.com/girl_girl.../stills?page=6

How do I go back to the beginning of the set?
                                            Change =6 at the end to =1 This is a known issue.

Comment

I do not see this behaviour. When I go to the link Rikenaw posted, I start at the first images of the set (despite the URL). But maybe we should disable the option to click on the tiny previiew images - now we have a better display of the large thumbs, it's not that useful, anyway?

Comment

I do not see this behaviour. When I go to the link Rikenaw posted, I start at the first images of the set (despite the URL). But maybe we should disable the option to click on the tiny previiew images - now we have a better display of the large thumbs, it's not that useful, anyway?
                                                Garion, you prolly have pics-per-page in preference higher hen Rikenaw, try http://www.abbywinters.com/girl_girl.../stills?page=2

I agree the direct-jump from preview images can probably be disabled, scrolling down is pretty easy

Comment

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter

Sign up for the abby newsletter. Don't worry, we'll NEVER share your email address with anyone.
                                                Working...
                                                X