No announcement yet.

Let's improve AW search results

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Garion, yes that's what I mean (although I'm not sure I want to openly admit to liking Mary's calves).

I think the specific tags clutter up the page and don't provide any useful information for members. Using the tag threshold does cut them out but also possibly cuts out other more useful tags.

The current tag list is a problem for members wanting to use it. It takes an age to load and the list is bewildering when it arrives. If these specific tags and some of the multiples could be deleted the list could provide a really useful search tool. An alternative, if it could be done, is to break the list into major categories with sub-sections, as:
    Selecting "Hair" would produce a sub-section that includes such categories as: blonde, brunette, redhead, short, long, etc.

Mis-tagging is still a problem but I'm still trying to figure if there's another way other than I suggested to overcome this.

Comment

I think we should just not show tags with a vote of 1 or less (or at least, make that an option for users). That way, anyone can tag anything with anything, and no one is annoyed - plenty of customers use tags to mark things they like in their own special way, and they'll never be useful to anyone... but other tag very meaningfully.

Comment

The problem with that is; how do new tags EVER get upvoted if no-one sees them ?

Comment

If two people tag the same entity with the same tag (or, a matched tag, eg, "redhead" and "redheaded" are matched), the vote count is 2, and everyone sees the tag (and, it's like this model really is red-headed, and that's valuable.

Comment

I think we should just not show tags with a vote of 1 or less
            Garion, I think that sounds like a good idea. It will certainly cut out all those tags which are mostly so specific that they are pretty much useless for other members. I don't think you would even need to offer the option to show them.

The problem with that is; how do new tags EVER get upvoted if no-one sees them ?
            Frans, there are so many tags listed now that I can't see how anyone could possibly come up with something new. It would require a very fertile imagination!

Something I mentioned before which might help (if it could be done) and that is to list some extra information on a models profile, such as Nationality, maybe Hair Colour. If this information could be linked to the search system it might at least help to overcome some mis-tagging as the information would be entered by a staff member. Is it worth while considering?
            Last edited by boomertoo; 27 June 2015, 02:13 AM.

Comment

Nationality is often tagged into the shoots, not the model. Hair color is a bad model-level tag, 'cos it does tend to change between shoots

Comment

I was just wondering if it were possible that information listed on a models profile could "follow" her through her various shoots? That way correct tags would automatically be available for members.

Is it possible to "store" tags for a shoot so if second, or even a third, identical or matched tag is allocated it will then appear? Garion mentioned "redhead' and "redheaded". In this case which tag would appear? Wondering how you'd match "breasts" and "boobs"!

I know I'm not techniclly savvy so these are just thoughts.
                Last edited by boomertoo; 28 June 2015, 12:38 AM.

Comment

Models in archives

My original membership dates back to the early days of AW, when the Home Page made sense and was much easier to use. When I enter the names of the models from way back when some are found (with others of the same name) and some aren't found at all. Problem may be mine!

Comment

Originally posted by dougsant View Post
                    My original membership dates back to the early days of AW, when the Home Page made sense and was much easier to use. When I enter the names of the models from way back when some are found (with others of the same name) and some aren't found at all. Problem may be mine!
                    When you search for models by name, make sure the 'Type' block on the left on the search page is set to 'Model', not 'Shoot'.

If that doesn't work for you, please copy/paste the url/location of a search you did and tell us what was wrong with the result you got.

Comment

Originally posted by garionhall View Post
                      We're working on integrating that into search results better.

But, if you are completely dissatisfied, contact me by email, we can organise a partial refund. garion.hall@abbywinters.com
                      To be honest mate, I give up. I can't see that a search can be that difficult.
                      I've written a bit of SQL in my time and it should be a breeze to extract what you want.
                      Perhaps a little more classification at the start (a simple search display) and off you go.
                      Don't worry about a refund; I'll struggle on but I still can't understand why I can click a "random tag" on the home page and get a display then click the same tag where there are millions ("More tags") and not get anything.
                      It is perplexing.

Comment

Originally posted by lawrie View Post
                        I still can't understand why I can click a "random tag" on the home page and get a display then click the same tag where there are millions ("More tags") and not get anything. It is perplexing.
                        See post #25 I can image it being confusing (or perplexing;-) but that's probably what you saw. You always search for 'TAG=xx and TYPE=zz' where zz=shoot|images|model|video.

Comment

Originally posted by boomertoo View Post
                          I was just wondering if it were possible that information listed on a models profile could "follow" her through her various shoots? That way correct tags would automatically be available for members.

Is it possible to "store" tags for a shoot so if second, or even a third, identical or matched tag is allocated it will then appear? Garion mentioned "redhead' and "redheaded". In this case which tag would appear? Wondering how you'd match "breasts" and "boobs"!

I know I'm not techniclly savvy so these are just thoughts.
                          Boomer, ironically, this is not a technical problem, it's an organisational one.

The idea is that MODELS are tagged with things that don't change shoot-to-shoot (eg, enormous breasts for Chloe B, for example), and SHOOTS get tagged with things that are specific to that shoot (eg, yoga, dancing, swimming). It's a nice idea, but as we can see, it does not hold out, because we encourage customers to tag and they do so a lot... So, I think we need to implement thresholds more (ie, never show results if less than x votes), and we're making that live tomorrow, so LMK what you reckon?

Comment

Originally posted by lawrie View Post
                            To be honest mate, I give up. I can't see that a search can be that difficult.
                            I've written a bit of SQL in my time and it should be a breeze to extract what you want.
                            Oh yes? How many tables, how many rows in your database? How many joins? how many entities? How many concurrent users? What legacy functions? What security needs? It's most definitely non-trivial. If we started from scratch, it'd be easier, but we're seeking performance improvements now, not in 12-18 months (not to mention, the cost of a re-write).

Perhaps a little more classification at the start (a simple search display) and off you go.
                            Yah, like an advanced search page, you mean? I'd like to do that, but it seems like a cop-out! But, we are releasing tomorrow, a selector for "models" and "attributes / activities" selector, which should help somewhat. And, we'll keep working on it, of course.

If you have specific examples, it'd be very helpful to post them here, like this -
                            1. Specify what you are searching for, with the precise term in quotes (eg, I search for "blonde mooseknuckle"),
                            2. What you wanted to see ("I wanted a bunch of blonde models wearing tight pants (stockings, jeans, yoga pants, etc), showing the outline of their labia clearly"), and
                            3. What you actually got ("I got one result, of a brunette in a skirt and no panties").

Comment

Ok, today, a bunch of new search features released. Keen to hear what you think.

Comment

Ok, today, a bunch of new search features released. Keen to hear what you think.
                                Garion, can you tell us what they are? It's not very helpful to say there is a bunch of new stuff if you don't say what it is.

I've noticed three things.

First, the layout of the home page has changed. I'm looking at the site on an iPad Air, which I updated this morning to IOS 8.4. At the top of the home page where there is a menu with buttons for Home, Browse, Community, etc., that menu bar is now obscured; it is covered by the main part of the page where all the current shoots are on show. That's nothing to do with searches, but the same layout problem applies to all the pages I have visited except the discussion boards. If it's a site problem it needs fixing quickly, but it may have something to do with the IOS update, I don't know.

Second thing is that when I go to a shoot page, the tags are now on the left of the screen instead of at the top.

The third thing is that when I click on any of the bizarre tags like "Evette you have beautiful breasts", I get nil results.

It would be a big help if you would explain a bit about how tags work. Eg, why are there multiple tags that are identical ("hairy"), and if I click on one I get one set of results and if I click on another I get a different set of results.

Comment

It seems like with the inclusion of the new search features, we've somehow lost the ability to sort shoots by last date updated on the browse shoots page. A bug, I'm guessing, but a very annoying one.

Comment

The new search features are:

Search only first-degree connections, as described by Frans above. Just becasue Jane is a redhead and did a shoot with Mary (who's not a readhead), Mary should not be returned when searching for "redhead". That WAS the case, it's now not.

Visually separate add-tag and Search text entry fields; this has been requested a lot. I don't think it's a problem, but it's easy to do, so there's less chance someone will ADD a tag, when they meant to SEARCH for a tag.

Add help link to Search tips: This is a small link shown with all search results (http://support.abbywinters.com/index.php/search-tips/), to provide some basic tips on searching (we logged searches for a few months, and those are real examples there...).

Require users to specify if they are searching for model names, or tags; By disambiguating this, we "force" searchers to think a little before searching. Hopefully, this will stop searches for "lovely Mary" (which is quite common). And, it's not a bad piece of discipline to have anyway, IMO.

Change order of shoot search results. Search results for shoots will always be separated into sections by default. From there, shoots can be sorted in other ways if preferred. As Kodiakexpress mentioned, the lack of sorting was an oversight, will is fixed now, will be released tomorrow.

Tags searches only: By default, search with 5 vote threshold: Many people complain about low quality search results. Fair enough. So now, by default, we'll only show results that have 5 or move votes on tags. So, if a model is tagged "redhead" by three people, we don;t trust it, and will not include it in search results. But, there's an option to include likely-lower-quality results if you wish.

Shoot pages, distinguish between dressing room and main stills sets more clearly. Not related to search, but annoyed me, so we fixed it.

JacksonP, seems like you have some specific examples of problems. I have written about how to report this stuff before, but I need to modify it a little in your case;

If you have specific examples, it'd be very helpful to post them here, like this -
                                    • Specify what you are searching for, with the precise term in quotes (eg, I search for "blonde mooseknuckle"),
                                    • What you wanted to see ("I wanted a bunch of blonde models wearing tight pants (stockings, jeans, yoga pants, etc), showing the outline of their labia clearly"), and
                                    • What you actually got ("I got one result, of a brunette in a skirt and no panties") - NEW: include the link of results.

You say you're linking to "hairy" from two pleases, we need to see both links (and a description of the source) so we can fix it. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by JacksonP49 View Post
                                      The third thing is that when I click on any of the bizarre tags like "Evette you have beautiful breasts", I get nil results.
                                      That's a good example of the 5-vote rule. If you run the search with "show low quality results" (like it says at the top of the search page...), you'll see at least one result.

Comment

Originally posted by kodiakexpress View Post
                                        It seems like with the inclusion of the new search features, we've somehow lost the ability to sort shoots by last date updated on the browse shoots page. A bug, I'm guessing, but a very annoying one.
                                        I don't see any sort options. Seems the shoots are sorted at least on shoot-title and possibly also on Section (solo, girl/girl..) before that. Hard to check that in Browse 'cos I'd have to scroll down a LOT of solo shoots first Firefox doesn't really like such long long pages eventually btw ;-) Page was: http://www.abbywinters.com/amateurs/shoots

Comment

Originally posted by JacksonP49 View Post
                                          First, the layout of the home page has changed. I'm looking at the site on an iPad Air, which I updated this morning to IOS 8.4. At the top of the home page where there is a menu with buttons for Home, Browse, Community, etc., that menu bar is now obscured; it is covered by the main part of the page where all the current shoots are on show. That's nothing to do with searches, but the same layout problem applies to all the pages
                                          Site pages need a horizontal resultion of at least 1130~1160 pixels wide to display ok. Problem can be replicated using a browser at say 1024x768 (width below 1120 on firefox).

Comment

Originally posted by Frans View Post
                                            Site pages need a horizontal resultion of at least 1130~1160 pixels wide to display ok. Problem can be replicated using a browser at say 1024x768 (width below 1120 on firefox).
                                            That's interesting, Frans. According to the Apple website, the resolution of the iPad Air (first generation) is 2048-by-1536 at 264 pixels per inch (ppi). I think that means that the site should display properly. It used to work properly but now it doesn't. As I said above, the modifications to this site and the update to IOS 8.4 occurred on the same day, so I don't know whether the problem is due to the site modifications or the IOS update.

I imagine that someone at AW headquarters has an iPad. It should be easy enough to check whether there's a general problem.

Comment

We've added the sort options to search results back in, and the wrapping issue on iPads should no longer be an issue.

Comment

We've added the sort options to search results back in, and the wrapping issue on iPads should no longer be an issue.
                                                Yep. Fixed. Thanks.

Comment

Some tags which do show on a shoot cannot be found with search anymore, have send report to web team.

Comment

May I say that the revised search for models works very well. From the models name direct to her home page is an excellent system that eliminates those previous extra steps that took time to sort through.
                                                    I do have one request. The "girl-girl" shoots include fun shoots and girl make-out shoots. Is it possible to differentiate these from the "hardcore" shoots by having a different header colour other than pink on the thumbnails and maybe re-titling with "girl fun/make-out"?

Comment

Question: for a few days the Model search used to jump to the matching models page if there was only one match for the search. It doesn't seem to do that anymore? I kinda liked that function so feel free to bring it back

In case it *should* still work like that, didn't do for me with http://www.abbywinters.com/amateurs/...een+s&qt=model as search.

Add: also that search page result says "1 results (there are possibly more)" which makes no sense for a Model search?? At least I wouldn't know how to get those more results, what filter would I have to change?

Comment

There does appear to be the extra step involved even in cases where there's just the one match. But the response is quick and the system is a whole lot better than in the past.
                                                        Still wondering about those header colours for GG/fun/make-out though. I realise it's not a major issue but are there any thoughts of changing them at some later point?

Comment

Frans, yes, we disabled it, as it was thought it was a little confusing, especially with tag results. I agree it's imperfect currently.

Comment

I cannot see my tags at all. All I get is this message: "Sorry, your search returned 0 results. Try using less specific terms, or starting with a filter from the left."

It doesn't do any difference what ever changes I try with the filters. I thought I should always see my tags without messing with any filters. What's the problem with this?

yusa

Comment

Originally posted by yusanord View Post
                                                              I cannot see my tags at all. All I get is this message: "Sorry, your search returned 0 results. Try using less specific terms, or starting with a filter from the left."

It doesn't do any difference what ever changes I try with the filters. I thought I should always see my tags without messing with any filters. What's the problem with this?
                                                              Examples of tags you can't see and/or links to a search you tried would be useful If possible with a shoot which has that tag applied to it.

Comment

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter

Sign up for the abby newsletter. Don't worry, we'll NEVER share your email address with anyone.
                                                              Working...
                                                              X