Full HD videos not truly full HD?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Full HD videos not truly full HD?

Is it just me or are the 1080p videos not truly 1080p? Just look at the attached picture, you can clearly see jagged edges -- as if's a lower resolution video that has been scaled up.

It's a shame, because it degrades the video quality...

(the picture I attached is a small cut-out from a full-size 1080p picture, it has not been resized, this is as I see it)
    Attached Files

Which shoot, which file/video and at which time ?

Comment

Like Frans says, it would be helpful to know what video this image is from so the rest of us can compare, but to be honest I'm usually too occupied doing something else to notice any jagged lines while watching the videos.

Comment

The picture I attached is from Tiffany's shoot which was posted last week (http://www.abbywinters.com/nude_girl...ipples/tiffany). The jagged edges are present throughout the entire video.

I've checked other 1080p video files to make sure it's not a problem at my end, but 1080p movies I've downloaded (or converted myself from Blu-ray to MKV) are all fine, so it doesn't appear to a problem at my end.

I'll look up when AW started with 1080p videos, that way I can confirm if the problem was already present in the first 1080p videos or if it's something that popped up in later videos.

-- Edit: I've downloaded some 1080p videos from 2012 shoots of Aletta, I don't notice the problem in those videos.
        Last edited by Wild4fire; 27 December 2015, 11:29 PM.

Comment

I don't see that amount of jagging when I view the HD vid, how big is your screen?

Do you have this problem with a lot of recent shoots or just this one shoot ?

Comment

Originally posted by Frans View Post
            I don't see that amount of jagging when I view the HD vid, how big is your screen?

Do you have this problem with a lot of recent shoots or just this one shoot ?
            I have a 27 inch 1080p monitor. The problem is present in multiple shoots, for example it's also present in the recent Billie T, Flora & Lulu shoot (http://www.abbywinters.com/girl_girl...e_t_flora_lulu). Yesterday I downloaded some 1080p videos from 2012 (from Aletta), the problem isn't present in those videos.

I'll try to find some videos from a few months ago, see if the issue is still present in those. I assume there must have been a change sometime which introduced this issue, so it should be possible to discover when the issue started occuring.

-- Edit: just tried the Anjali & Nadir shoot posted in January 2015 (http://www.abbywinters.com/girls_and...m/anjali_nadir), issue still present. Going to try something older now.

-- Edit #2: the Alyssa R & Bisera shoot posted in January 2014 (http://www.abbywinters.com/girl_girl/alyssa_r_bisera/) seems to be OK. I'm therefore assuming the issue was introduced somewhere in 2014. I'll try some other videos from 2014.

-- Edit #3: alright, the Gala & Thais shoot from July 2014 (http://www.abbywinters.com/girl_girl...ng/gala_thais/) has the issue. So apparently the issue was introduced somewhere in the first half of 2014.

-- Edit #4: I'm really keeping this post updated! -- I just tried the Mila & Sasha M. shoot from March 2014 (http://www.abbywinters.com/girl_girl.../mila_sasha_m/) -- issue not present.

-- Edit #5: almost narrowed it down, the Bisera & Tahlia J. shoot from May 2014 (http://www.abbywinters.com/video_mas...sera_tahlia_j/) also doesn't have the issue.

-- Edit #6: and we're there. The Blanca & Thais shoot from June 2014 (http://www.abbywinters.com/girl_girl...g/blanca_thais) has the issue.

So it appears the issue started occuring somewhere around May/June 2014.

I can understand that many people cannot see the problem -- if you're watching on anything smaller than 27 inch the jagged edges are probably smoothed out a bit because of the smaller screen size. However, the jagged edges are there and to me that indicates that something went wrong when encoding the videos. Perhaps a badly configured filter or something like that? As I said, the jagged edges look like if the video has been scaled up badly.
            Last edited by Wild4fire; 28 December 2015, 12:24 PM.

Comment

Hi Wild4fire, firstly like you I prefer to watch high quality video when available and always download the 1080p version of any new videos that I purchase with my credits.

Secondly in your reply you say that you use a 27in 1080p monitor but fail to list what software you use to view the videos, whether you use a PC or Mac, what type of graphics card you have, I only say this because not everyones computer is set up the same, I personally use two monitors in my setup, one a 24in and the second a 55in tv, both 1080p run off a dual output (hdmi, dvi) nvidia graphics card with all the latest drivers etc installed.

I just wanted to say that although I have not seen all the videos you list (but I will try) I have no problems with jagged lines with any of the most recent videos released including last Saturdays, even when viewed on my 55in tv watched maybe closer that I should do.

Hopefully you will get it sorted but in my opinion its something software/hardware related at your end rather than AW but obviously if any other forum members start noticing problems then I sure AW will look into it.

Comment

I'm using Windows 10 64-bit, using ZoomPlayer to view videos (with FFDShow as decoder). GTX 980Ti videocard, connected via DVI to my LG 27EA63 monitor. Just to be sure, I'll mention again that I only have this issue with AW videos from May/June 2014 and later. Any other 1080p file, no matter which source or format, plays just fine without those jagged edges -- even those AW videos dated posted before May/June 2014.

Given that 1080p videos posted before May/June 2014 play perfectly fine, something must have changed in the way AW creates their video files. Let's try to determine if something in the encoding screws up playback locally, I'll try to see tomorrow if I can check this.
                Last edited by Wild4fire; 29 December 2015, 07:33 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the additional info, I forgot to mention myself that I am running Windows 7 64 bit version, using Daum Potplayer (64bit version) to watch any videos I download, but I also have access to a laptop running Windows 10 64 bit with the same Potplayer software on it, the laptop does have a hdmi output but not totally sure it outputs 1080p, may check this later on today.

Comment

Originally posted by Wild4fire View Post
                    I'm using Windows 10 64-bit, using ZoomPlayer to view videos (with FFDShow as decoder). GTX 980Ti videocard, connected via DVI to my LG 27EA63 monitor. Just to be sure, I'll mention again that I only have this issue with AW videos from May/June 2014 and later. Any other 1080p file, no matter which source or format, plays just fine without those jagged edges -- even those AW videos dated posted before May/June 2014.

Given that 1080p videos posted before May/June 2014 play perfectly fine, something must have changed in the way AW creates their video files. Let's try to determine if something in the encoding screws up playback locally, I'll try to see tomorrow if I can check this.
                    You could try different viewers, the 'Movies & TV' is *very* basic but it seems to show a clearer picture sometimes. Also the regular windows mediaplayer is still on there.

Comment

Windows Media Player shows the same issue. I've also tried some of the videos I mentioned earlier and it's the exact same behaviour in Windows Media Player as in ZoomPlayer.

Comment

Do all those programs use FFDshow as decoder? If so, you'd want to prevent that in order to actually test different programs

Comment

Originally posted by Frans View Post
                          Do all those programs use FFDshow as decoder? If so, you'd want to prevent that in order to actually test different programs
                          When FFDShow is being used, it shows a tray icon. When playing the videos with Windows Media Player, there's no tray icon so I would assume Windows Media Player isn't using FFDShow.

Comment

I agree with the ffdshow/tray icon assement.

You could try a new version of VLC, which has all it's decoding build-in (windows programs usually let windows codecs handle that).

Comment

I'll try VLC, just to check what happens with the videos in that player. But even if they play fine, there would still be something going on causing those jagged edges in other players.

When I know more, I'll let you know.

-- Edit: the jagged edges are also present when the affected files are played through VLC.
                              Last edited by Wild4fire; 31 December 2015, 08:31 AM.

Comment

It's truly an issue at AW's side and it's still present in new shoots. It really diminishes what could have been great videos. After all, people don't have jagged edges in real life...

If there's anyone from AW's technical staff hanging around here, would you please look into this issue?

(btw, 720p would be fine for me until the 1080p issues are solved, were it not that I cannot find 720p versions on new shoots, only the 1080p versions or lower quality 1024x576 resolution videos)

Comment

Just viewed Blanca/Thais mainvid at 100% size (1920x1080) and I don't see the jagged edges you posted. Picture is not as sharp as I'd expect at 4mbit bitrate but it's definitely HD. AW no doesn't provide 720p for new(er) shoot, as most people go for the 1080p anyway if they want to download HD content.

Comment

I'm now on a fresh install of Windows (courtesy of a new motherboard/CPU/RAM) and I'm still having the same problem. Playback is perfectly fine on 1080p videos earlier than May/June 2014, afterwards they all look a bit "jaggy". In VLC the issue is the same, so it's not related to FFDShow as VLC uses its own filters for playback.

As I said, it really must be an issue with the files themselves, otherwise videos from before May/June 2014 would look 'jagged' too but they don't -- 1080p videos from before May/June 2014 look exactly as they should.

--

From today's Ashley shoot:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Image1.png
Views:	1
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	647954

This is a zoomed-in view of Ashley's leg in this video. You can see what I mean.

I've figured out the problem is worsened by FFDShow's sharpening filter, which I have now turned off. But the issue remains and there's still a significant difference in current 1080p videos and 1080p videos from before May/June 2014.
                                    Last edited by Wild4fire; 20 February 2016, 09:13 AM.

Comment

Hi Wild4fire,

This is Ugur, Post Production All Star for abbywinters.com. I am the person in charge for encoding videos. I would like to share some information's about the process of 1080HD files releases on website.

Production team is mainly using two sort of cameras (Panasonic HPX and Sony handycam). They are both recording in native 1920x1080 and we edit them with Avid editing software without any trans-coding so again in 1920x1080.

Videos get encoded first as master again in 1080 than mp4 format in 1080. In all this process videos never gets scaled bigger - zoomed in etc.

Although we change the bitrate of videos on encoding to get smaller video files. Unfortunately not all of our customers have speed internet connection so we try to find balance for all our customers in the world.

When we change the bitrates and formats we always ask our members and get their opinion on that as you can see from path below;

This is a place where staff and members can post outlandish ideas on ways the site can go. Includes things like advertising and business related, plus ideas for shoot genres, site sections, special projects, and stuff like that

Its interesting to hear you do not have any problem before May/June 2014, we have encoded all our 1080-mp4 videos with same settings on same days because we have added 1080 format on website just 8 months ago so we went backwards and re-encoded all videos on 1080p - mp4 to be able to attach. I have tried to see the issue but could not experienced jagged problem.

The image you share is not caused buy size (1920x1080 ), its because how cameras recording the movements, sharpness and how many "fps" they record. When you get zoomed-in you can see non-sharp parts.

We are aware of especially sharpness problem on our camera and we are searching new camera's to add in our production. That will allow us to record videos in better quality.

Hope I have informed you well.

Ugur

Comment

Hi again,

We are also releasing some new videos with new cameras we use, can you please look at following 2 videos and let us know what do you think. Second one will be released on Friday.

Hailey Solo 2 : http://www.abbywinters.com/nude_girl...ley/video/clip

Alexandra solo 2: http://www.abbywinters.com/nude_girl...ps/alexandra_2

Thanks,

Ugur

Comment

Hi, I have experienced the same issues in recent 1080p files. Have tried them in VLC, SMPlayer and Media Player Classic HC and all with the same edges.

I know my Laptop isn't the best with Win 7, Intel Core CPU with 2.20 GHz, 4 GB RAM and a Intel HD Graphics 3000 Card. Though playing many other files in same resolution and with similar bitrates and have never encountered it even close as big of a problem, as with the video files from this site. Like Wild4fire found out, the earlier released ones are not affected.

Here are a few examples from the Hailey Solo 2 example Ugur has mentioned.

Name:	shot0008.jpg
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	647956Click image for larger version

Name:	shot0009.jpg
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	647957Click image for larger version

Name:	shot0010.jpg
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	647958Click image for larger version

Name:	shot0015.jpg
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	647959Click image for larger version

Name:	shot0020.jpg
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	647960

Connecting external harddrive to my 40'' TV and playing file directly from there, the edges look way better but still not in the same 1080p ballpark like from other websites.

Comment

Huh, this is very weird. The uploaded pictures are looking much better than how I experience them in the video and in the screenshots I took.
                                            Here a screenshot of the screenshot of the last example:

Name:	Shot20.jpg
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	647961

and from the 3rd:

Name:	21.jpg
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	647962

Comment

Found a solution!

Browsing I found a solution which makes the blurry edges of objects during movements disappear.

You need to search in the video setting of your media player for the option of Deinterlacing and turn it on.
                                              This forum thread also might be useful if you are interested in more.

Good luck that it will help you as well and for Ugur, should it help you better something for the encoding process.

Comment

The screenshots from Dropshot seem to be suffering from interlacing, which is weird because that's not supposed to be there in videos like this. I'm not experiencing interlacing, only the jagged edges.

I'd think Dropshot's problems are codec-related, however he's also tried playing in VLC with the same issue so that rules out codec issues as VLC uses its own codecs, seperate from the system's usual codecs.

-- Edit: this is getting weird. I just downloaded Hania & Laney's shoot (http://www.abbywinters.com/girl_girl...ir/hania_laney) and strangely enough, no jagged edges anymore!! To be sure nothing on my end changed, I've redownloaded the video from my first post (http://www.abbywinters.com/nude_girl...ipples/tiffany) and yes, the issue remains in that video. So it's clear something has changed at AW's end in the encoding process!! This absolutely confirms the problem wasn't on my end, but in the actual videos themselves.

----

And just to be sure about the issue Dropshot's been having, I've downloaded Hailey's shoot (http://www.abbywinters.com/nude_girl...nipples/hailey). Same issue here -- this is obviously a video where something went wrong in the encoding process. I've created a topic for this specific video at http://forums.abbywinters.com/vbulle...ad.php?t=18826
                                                Last edited by Wild4fire; 29 February 2016, 10:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ugur View Post
                                                  Hi again,

We are also releasing some new videos with new cameras we use, can you please look at following 2 videos and let us know what do you think. Second one will be released on Friday.

Hailey Solo 2 : http://www.abbywinters.com/nude_girl...ley/video/clip

Alexandra solo 2: http://www.abbywinters.com/nude_girl...ps/alexandra_2

Thanks,

Ugur

As said in my previous post, Hailey's video is messed up. There the encoding clearly went wrong, it looks to be heavily interlaced. Although I'm not seeing the jagged edges there.

Alexandra's shoot has the jagged edges.

The recent Hania & Laney shoot, however, looks just fine -- no jagged edges there.

Comment

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter

Sign up for the abby newsletter. Don't worry, we'll NEVER share your email address with anyone.
                                                  Working...
                                                  X