Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tips and tricks using AW....

Wields limited power
    Quote Originally Posted by mrpinkeyes View Post
    Ignoring that for a moment... how do I link my search to include more than one word in the "advanced search" function of the boards???
    You mean posting that search as a link, or searching for multiple words at the same time yourself? The latter is easy, just type more words into the searchbox I'm not sure you can post working links to forum searches actually, reason being that the forum assigns numbers to them internally. Which makes search links not work after the search has expired (after an hour or so).

Posting Champion
    3651' Latitude South and 17447' Longitude East or thereabouts
    Quote Originally Posted by Frans View Post
    searching for multiple words at the same time yourself? .
    When I try it searches by each individual word not the sentence of phrase. eg if I wanted to find "Kylie Harris" it would give me every time "Kylie" is mentioned and every time "Harris" is mentioned. I only want posts that have "Kylie Harris" mentioned or in my original question "models application form".

Thanks....

Wields limited power
    The *idea* of the search engine is that results with those words closer together get a higher 'ranking'. But I've been rather unimpressed with the forum search engine, it comes with the forum software so we can't easily change it. But yeah it does leave something to be desired.

Posting Champion
    thanks Frans... least now I know I wasn't missing anything or doing it wrong..

Posting Champion
    Question: The bottom of these forum pages gives the language as "-- English (US)" I want "--English (UK)" but that doesn't seem to be an option in the "Quick language chooser.

Is this something that can be changed somewhere else in my setup?? It's no major problem until I talk about colour or centre then it tells me I can't spell which I know I can't but I can spell colour and centre, well in English (UK) I can.

Pinky

Wields limited power
    The quick-language chooser is mostly for the messages displayed by vBulletin. There is no UK-English language pack available for the current forum software (v4) so you'll have to make do with the US speak
    (if you're getting those spelling notification in your browser, it might be a setting in firefox for example)

Posting Champion
    When replying to a post, you have 3 options, reply, reply with quote, and multi-quote this message (which appears when you hover your mouse over the symbol). What exactly does multi-quote this message mean and how do you use this option? I thought it might have something to do with making it easier to do multiple quotes in a post, such as what I did in my latest post in Gretchen's thread, but when I click on it, it just puts a check mark there and the reply box has the same quoted post as you'd get by clicking reply with quote....no difference at all. So, doing the multi-quote is still a bit of a chore, having to type in the 2 quote lines for every part of the post I'm quoting. Still a hassle. So....how does the multi-quote supposed to work?

Wields limited power
    You have select multi-quote on SEVERAL messages, otherwise it's just a single quoted reply Every message you have selected for multi-quote shows up in your reply-box when you hit 'reply with quote'.

Posting Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by laktor View Post
    When replying to a post, you have 3 options, reply, reply with quote, and multi-quote this message (which appears when you hover your mouse over the symbol). What exactly does multi-quote this message mean and how do you use this option? I thought it might have something to do with making it easier to do multiple quotes in a post, such as what I did in my latest post in Gretchen's thread, but when I click on it, it just puts a check mark there and the reply box has the same quoted post as you'd get by clicking reply with quote....no difference at all. So, doing the multi-quote is still a bit of a chore, having to type in the 2 quote lines for every part of the post I'm quoting. Still a hassle. So....how does the multi-quote supposed to work?
    Aha!

You have select multi-quote on SEVERAL messages, otherwise it's just a single quoted reply Every message you have selected for multi-quote shows up in your reply-box when you hit 'reply with quote'.
    Slick! Big dummy me was doing it the hard way.

Posting Champion
    Ok, I see this now, BUT is there a simple way to multi-quote several parts of ONE message? For example, I quoted 2 different parts of Gretchen's post in my last post in her thread. The only way I could do this was to actually type in the before and after quotes and symbols and numbers in that post. So, in quoting you in this post, for example, for my second quote, I'd have to physically type in QUOTE=Frans;372501 before the quote and /QUOTE at the end. (with the brackets which I can't put in or they'd screw up what you see) And I'd have to do this for every quoted part of a single message, which is truly a hassle. Is there an easier way?
    Last edited by laktor; 7th August 2011 at 05:04 PM.

Wields limited power
    I'm sorry Frans, but I still do not understand. As I said, clicking on "Multi-quote this message" just puts a check mark there, but does nothing else
    True, but you can click on 'multi-quote this message' for SEVERAL messages BEFORE you click on 'reply with quote'. That's the trick.

Posting Champion
    True, but you can click on 'multi-quote this message' for SEVERAL messages BEFORE you click on 'reply with quote'. That's the trick.
    You were too quick for me Frans, as I changed my post, but not before you already replied! Can you answer my new post? Thanks.

Wields limited power
    I'd have to physically type in QUOTE=Frans;372501 before the quote and /QUOTE at the end. (with the brackets which I can't put in or they'd screw up what you see) And I'd have to do this for every quoted part of a single message, which is truly a hassle. Is there an easier way?
    No. You CAN however select the quote= part with your mouse and use control-C/control-V to copy/paste that bit, which is easier.

Posting Champion
    No. You CAN however select the quote= part with your mouse and use control-C/control-V to copy/paste that bit, which is easier.
    Thanks...actually, I never thought of trying that.

Posting Champion
    Is there a simple way to find old threads? Thanks.

Posting Champion
    In post #50 and #51 of Jenna K's thread, MrPinkeyes and tjsunray talk about the ability to change the viewing of posts to either ascending or descending order and pinky even posts a link to the page which explains it....but when I'm in a thread, I do not see a "Display Mode" option anywhere on the page, either at the top or the bottom. Can't find where to change the display mode, if I wanted to.

In the FAQ, general forum usage thread, it says:

You have a choice over how you view threads. When you're in a thread, look at the top bar. On the right hand side you'll see 'Display Mode'. Click on this and it lets you change how posts are ordered.

I do not see this "Display Mode" when I'm in any thread. So where is it???
    Last edited by laktor; 6th November 2011 at 03:13 AM.

Posting Champion
    In post #50 and #51 of Jenna K's thread, MrPinkeyes and tjsunray talk about the ability to change the viewing of posts to either ascending or descending order and pinky even posts a link to the page which explains it....but when I'm in a thread, I do not see a "Display Mode" option anywhere on the page, either at the top or the bottom. Can't find where to change the display mode, if I wanted to.

In the FAQ, general forum usage thread, it says:

You have a choice over how you view threads. When you're in a thread, look at the top bar. On the right hand side you'll see 'Display Mode'. Click on this and it lets you change how posts are ordered.

I do not see this "Display Mode" when I'm in any thread. So where is it???
    laktor..click on - Quick Links ( the top left hand corner)...>then - Subscribed Threads...>then - General Settings...>scroll down to...>Thread Display Mode. That's all i know ...never tried it myself....you'll have to ask Pinky if you have more questions.
    Last edited by tjsunray; 6th November 2011 at 04:20 AM.

Posting Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by tjsunray View Post
    laktor..click on - Quick Links ( the top left hand corner)...>then - Subscribed Threads...>then - General Settings...>scroll down to...>Thread Display Mode. That's all i know ...never tried it myself....you'll have to ask Pinky if you have more questions.
    Thanks tjsunray. However, that doesn't jive with what you said in your post about seeing something at the bottom of each thread page, and it certainly doesn't match what is said in the FAQ link that pinkeyes provided and what I quoted in my post in this thread. So, that FAQ page really needs to be revised.

Posting Champion
    When in the forums look at the upper right hand corner, at the top of the page. Where it says Welcome, username, My profile, Settings, Log out
    Click Settings. Under My Settings, click General Settings. Then, Thread display options/Thread display mode/Linear newest first.

Plenty To Say
    At the bottom click Technical Support, then Settings, then General Settings - you can change a lot of things there

Posting Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by andresone View Post
    At the bottom click Technical Support, then Settings, then General Settings - you can change a lot of things there
    That's now the 3'd way to get to....> General Settings....>Thread Display Options/Mode ( Linear oldest first )

1) - Top Left hand corner...my route

2) - Top Right...bookmanz suggestion

3) - Bottom Right...andresone's...almost got all the corners covered for you laktor

Posting Champion
    This is all well and good, fellows, and I know how to change it now, if I wanted to, but the info in FAQ in still wrong/outdated.

Wields limited power
    If you look VERY carefully at the link you'll see it's for vb3 which indeed is old. We're running vb4-something since the switch to white. Someday that FAQ will get updated, but it is quite a lot of work.

Plenty To Say
    Hi there....
    I have one Question: How can i put a photo from my PC into a thread?

Posting Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by froggytown View Post
    Hi there....
    I have one Question: How can i put a photo from my PC into a thread?
    I froggy.... you need to "go advanced" which is under the "post screen" that will give you the attachments icon (the one that looks like a paper clip). Click on that and it should open a new screen called manage attachments. Top right hand corner... "+ Add Files" click on that the click on "Select Files" This should bring up your computer to browse and find the photo you want to post. Once selected click on the Upload File icon. This will put in the "File upload Manager" click on the "insert Attachment" icon and the it will be there ready to use in the post. Now back in the "Post screen" put the courser where you want the photo to go and click back on the attachments icon (the one that looks like a paper clip) the file should be shown there click on it and you should see something like this "[ATTACH]photo[/ATTACH]". Now go to "Preview Post" icon click on that and you should see the picture shown. If your happy with that then "Submit Reply" Done....
    Hopefully I haven't totally confused you... Sure Fran probably can explain it a little simpler... Good Luck and look forward to your first photo post... Just remember the rules on what photo's you can post.

Pinky

Plenty To Say
    Thanks mrpinkeyes, it works perfect....
    Now you can search for it

Posting Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by tjsunray View Post
    How can i delete a recently posted Thread ?
    I think you may need to be Frans/Lux or Kylie to be able to do that. I recall Timbo (maybe) having a similar problem recently. In saying that I don't recall seeing a thread with no posts in it.. so maybe they just don't show in the new posts???

Wields limited power
    Tip: when adding or voting on a tag, do note that it can take up to 15-20 minutes for the add/vote result to be visible.