Tearing video on windowed mode only

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tearing video on windowed mode only

I haven't had this before, and I think it's something interfering but I have no idea what.

I have found the WMV videos will persistently rip across the screen every 2-3 seconds, but only in windowed mode. In full screen it's fine.

I'm using Windows Media Player 11 on Windows Vista. As I said it worked fine before, I don't think i've put anything on to break it. I don't think it's ffdshow, as I disabled it and it still didn't work.

Lack of 'horsepower' is definitely not an issue, I am almost certain it's software. Most other WMV files I have tested don't seem to do this either

Any suggestions welcomed.

Sounds like a graphic card problem, windowed mode is much more work for it. You might want to compare either filesize+time of movies that work/don't work or bitrate via GSpot. Based on the description I'd say some part of the display/refresh chain on your system can't keep up.

Were you able to play AW wmv files fine a couple of weeks ago? If so, which files and do the same files look bad now?

You DO download the files completely and play them from your local disk, right??

Comment

yes, I download the whole WMV file, i'd hardly expect it can't keep up, the video plays fine in VLC, as do much higher quality videos.

thanks for some pointers. Now I think about it more, I suspect it's my video drivers. I'll try some different ones.

Comment

VLC is mostly decoding which prolly works fine yeah. Tearing is usually a driver problem. Just reinstall your current video-drivers, might fix it. Seems some windows update might disable your drivers back to software mode, easily seen when dragging windows from left-to-right.. they'll leave a sloooow trace (this was with nvidia cards btw)

Comment

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter

Sign up for the abby newsletter. Don't worry, we'll NEVER share your email address with anyone.
        Working...
        X