splitting videos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

splitting videos

So, what is your preference for the length of videos we release on the site, in terms of the break-point? For example, if we have a 40 minute video, should we split it up at all? Into 4 x 10 minutes videos? 2 x 20 minute? 1 x 30m & 1 x 10?
    Not at all - longer is better
    56.00%
    Maximum 30m sections
    4.00%
    Maximum 20m sections (what we do now, roughly)
    34.00%
    Maximum 10m sections, or less
    6.00%

Garion, I think the way it is now is good. My only advice would be try to find a good breaking point, after one of the Girls orgasm rather than just breaking after 20 minutes.

Comment

I think the responses will be dependant upon the nature of the connections. For myself, I have no problems, indeed somewhat prefer an unsplit video but if a split is deemed necessary, it should be as far as possible at 'natural breakpoints', as Silky suggests or at other junctures where the action has for some reason 'slowed'.

tom

Comment

Very good question; yes, I completely agree with Silkenshadow that you need to find a good break point, like after an orgasm, or perhaps, in a solo, at the point she gets naked. But, having said that, I'm in favour of shorter rather than longer sections - i.e. around 10 minutes. I often find I don't want to keep the whole of a long (20+ minute) one, and they take up a lot of storage space, too.

Comment

Count me in on that too, finding an appropriate break point during the course of the show would be the best choice of all, methinks.

Comment

I second Silkenshadow's motion and I like Tom's point about the natural break points and the connections demonstrated in the videos.

- Adam

Comment

Why not do as many other sites do, ie: offer either a complete video or broken down into sections, that way everyone is happy.

Comment

Honestly, I'd love for the entire video to be in one file, but I'm not against the current system. It works.

I wouldn't like them to be any shorter, though. The older vids had this method, and it broke up the action too much. Still, it isn't too tough to either join or split the videos on your own anyways.

Comment

Thanks for the responses guys.

Severl people mentioned that broken up is ok, so long as the break points are at a sensible place... but no one commented if the break points we have been applying currently are good or bad! So, are we doing ok? Where specifically could we do better? Our video editors are concious of breaking up the action, and IMO they do a great job.

The older videos are in shorter segments because back when the site started, most people used dialup! As broadband penetration improved, we have increased the length of segments, and are able to provide higher quality vids as well. We do get some demand to make them smaller parts tho - as you can see from the poll results.

We could encode multiple length versions, but that seems terribly inefficient. If our customer can stand for it, I'd rather wait till we have the "edit your own video online" feature, where you and do a rough edit of the bits you want of a video online by selecting start and end points (with a granularity of, say 20 seconds, displayed with a frame cap), and the server encodes the video to your spec (pixel size, image quality, file size, and contents). Kinda like custom zips, but for video.

Sounds good to me. The coders get a bit twitchy when I mention it tho...

Comment

Originally posted by garionhall View Post

Severl people mentioned that broken up is ok, so long as the break points are at a sensible place... but no one commented if the break points we have been applying currently are good or bad! So, are we doing ok? Where specifically could we do better? Our video editors are concious of breaking up the action, and IMO they do a great job.

The older videos are in shorter segments because back when the site started, most people used dialup! As broadband penetration improved, we have increased the length of segments, and are able to provide higher quality vids as well. We do get some demand to make them smaller parts tho - as you can see from the poll results.

We could encode multiple length versions, but that seems terribly inefficient. If our customer can stand for it, I'd rather wait till we have the "edit your own video online" feature, where you and do a rough edit of the bits you want of a video online by selecting start and end points (with a granularity of, say 20 seconds, displayed with a frame cap), and the server encodes the video to your spec (pixel size, image quality, file size, and contents). Kinda like custom zips, but for video.

Sounds good to me. The coders get a bit twitchy when I mention it tho...
                    Hi Garion,

I would say that you're doing a good job in the editing, the most recent T3 with LeeLee and Lynley being a case in point, the break between Video 1 and 2 occurred at the transition between standing and bed, an ideal point. Another being the delightfully loquacious DIM with Katherine F and Annabelle Lee the editors managed to find one of the few pauses in conversation. As the girls continued to chat after starting to masturbate I don't think waiting until their concentration was fully taken up would have worked as well, it would also have been an unbalanced pair of videos, something like one of 25 and one of 5 minutes.

I remember you mentioning the 'self edit' on the CMS :features you'd like to see thread and look forward to trying it when it becomes available

tom

Comment

Hi, Garion.

Heh-heh- 'edit your own video online' does sound like it would be rather comlicated to do as a built-in feature, so it's understandable if the coders get a bit twitchy when it's mentioned. It could be much easier and more feasable for the subscriber who wishes to edit the AW video of his or her choice after download. Lotsa good video editing softwares out there that are fairly easy to use and they would also offer the editor much more flexibility with his or her edit, whaddaya think?

Comment

Garion, I'd probably take the whole vid but wouldn't it be nice to maintain a choice? I'd think it would take less trouble that the releasing of vids in several formats to, simply add a link for the full, unbroken vid as a choice. Wouldn't add to effort, bandwidth, anything. Just offer the option!

Comment

Splitting Videos

Hi Garion,
                          I'm still trying to find my way around your great site, so I don't know all the ins and outs of file downloading. I prefer the longer segments but I also agree that breaks need to come where its most appropriate. If you have a shoot that is non-stop heat from start to finish, don't break it up into shorter segments just for the sake of keeping them to some arbitrary length. What would be nice is to be able to download the videos as one large zip file (I haven't discovered any way to do that so far.) Maybe CMS2 will have better ways to get the whole shoot without having to select each segment separately?

Comment

Ok, good question, Garion. I like the idea of the split videos, as that let's me see which I would prefer to download.
                            That said, I would like to see clean breaks, not fades, that way if I decide to download the whole series for one shoot, I can use a program to assemble the shoots into one long shoot if I Like the entire shoot.

Keep up the good work.

Comment

Originally posted by garionhall View Post

Severl people mentioned that broken up is ok, so long as the break points are at a sensible place... but no one commented if the break points we have been applying currently are good or bad! So, are we doing ok?
                              Yes, you are doing ok! I'm very satisfied with the break points.

Comment

Originally posted by wolfgangbuster29 View Post
                                Hi, Garion.

Heh-heh- 'edit your own video online' does sound like it would be rather comlicated to do as a built-in feature, so it's understandable if the coders get a bit twitchy when it's mentioned. It could be much easier and more feasable for the subscriber who wishes to edit the AW video of his or her choice after download. Lotsa good video editing softwares out there that are fairly easy to use and they would also offer the editor much more flexibility with his or her edit, whaddaya think?

Have to agree with you, wolf. After download it gives me a lot of pleasure and joy to do my own editing. But that may be the reason for AW and Garion to explore this possibility.

Comment

Originally posted by audun25 View Post
                                  Have to agree with you, wolf. After download it gives me a lot of pleasure and joy to do my own editing. But that may be the reason for AW and Garion to explore this possibility.
                                  Psst!! What's the good freeware for chopping up or assembling video segments?

Comment

Windows Movie Maker is most readily available one I can think of. Try Virtual Dub, though I've not yet used it for editing.

Comment

Originally posted by audun25 View Post
                                      I would agree with that, I don't currently and may not of thought of ever doing my own editing. However, if it had been an option on the site i'd certainly would have availed myself of it, as I will when it becomes available.

tom

Comment

The editing capability of Windows Movie Maker or similar softwares can be quite handy for those who wish to 're-combine' a vid set into one big and complete one. If done carefully the recoding of choice would offer minimal loss of quality in the finished product.

Comment

Originally posted by FloridaRob View Post
                                          Psst!! What's the good freeware for chopping up or assembling video segments?
                                          You might look at this one:
                                          Avidemux is a free open-source program designed for multi-purpose video editing and processing, which can be used on almost all known operating systems and computer platforms. This website (Avidemux.org) contains lots of information about downloading, compiling, configuring, and using the program.

Comment

I use a download manager, so for me it is only choosing the quality (mp4 HQ or HD) I want. I then simply wait till all files have downloaded. I don't care much in how many pieces it is split, I watch them in one run anyway.

A possible consideration is that people download the lower qualities usually want smaller files i.e. more splits. Then again, with mp4 LQ that problem has mostly resolved itself.

I wouldn't use an online cut/edit/select tool myself. I'd still download the entire scene and edit it on my pc if it's REALLY needed.

Comment

Originally posted by Frans View Post
                                              I use a download manager, so for me it is only choosing the quality (mp4 HQ or HD) I want. I then simply wait till all files have downloaded. I don't care much in how many pieces it is split, I watch them in one run anyway.

A possible consideration is that people download the lower qualities usually want smaller files i.e. more splits. Then again, with mp4 LQ that problem has mostly resolved itself.

I wouldn't use an online cut/edit/select tool myself. I'd still download the entire scene and edit it on my pc if it's REALLY needed.
                                              Of course, with our own editing capabilities we can pretend to be professionals! "Aghh! I'll leave THAT one on the cutting room floor! What were they thinking?"

We could, even, have "re-edit" contests!

Comment

I voted in the poll but want to throw in my 2 cents on the video splitting and size question. I think AW is doing right with the video splits and file sizes as they are now. Usually the edits between video 1 and video 2 are at appropriate points. I love what AW does with video. I download WMV's. In the rare instance I download a video that is HD MP4 the improvement in quality I see on my now 3 and 4 year old PC's (both with just 19inch monitors) is neglible.
                                                I have no interest, nor time to edit my own videos.

Comment

Originally posted by bookmanz View Post
                                                  I voted in the poll but want to throw in my 2 cents on the video splitting and size question. I think AW is doing right with the video splits and file sizes as they are now. Usually the edits between video 1 and video 2 are at appropriate points. I love what AW does with video. I download WMV's. In the rare instance I download a video that is HD MP4 the improvement in quality I see on my now 3 and 4 year old PC's (both with just 19inch monitors) is neglible.
                                                  I have no interest, nor time to edit my own videos.
                                                  Bookmanz is "right", actually. Agreed the present cuts are well-done and I tend to agree that if it made it any easier to offer the director's "uncut" () edition as an option, maybe one of the several video modes could be retired.

Comment

I would say a 40 minute video should be split into two, somewhere around 2x20 minutes. However I agree with others that a natural point should be found, so one video might be 18 minutes and the other might be 22 minutes for example.

In file size speak I would say that you should split any video that is above 400MB (especially in the MPEG or WMV version) into more than one part as that would be about right I think.

Anyway my thoughts.

SF

Comment

Originally posted by gemstone96 View Post
                                                      That said, I would like to see clean breaks, not fades, that way if I decide to download the whole series for one shoot, I can use a program to assemble the shoots into one long shoot if I Like the entire shoot.
                                                      We do that already, right?

Comment

Originally posted by FloridaRob View Post
                                                        Of course, with our own editing capabilities we can pretend to be professionals! "Aghh! I'll leave THAT one on the cutting room floor! What were they thinking?" We could, even, have "re-edit" contests!
                                                        Well, it's funny you mention that. Another thing I have been wanting to do for ages is put up an entire as-shot stills set, and an entire as-shot video (the "rushes", they are called), and let members do just that. With images, it'd be easier (in CMS2) we could get people to tag images they propose as being keepers, and the top x images (or, all images with a tag count above y?) is what goes in the final set.

Because this would be easy to do with the "existing" (CMS2) system, and easy for all customers to participate in, I really want to try this - I think we'd get some useful feedback (which I humbly predict would be, we already include the right images, and remove the "wrong" ones pretty much inline with what our customers want).

Video would be harder - 45Gb raw HD video file might be a bit awkward, but I suppose we could just do an unedited encode of the footage to mp4, and let people use whatever app they choose...

It'd be an interesting experiment, and prolly fun for customers, but not have enough penetration of the customer base to give feedback that would be helpful (what's that saying? "opinions are like assholes - everyone has one!").

In many ways, you guys trust us to be your filter, to make sure we include all the good stuff, and none of the bad stuff.

Comment

Doing great, but sounds like good ideas too.

First off, everything that is being done now with splitting videos/size/etc. is fine, and by and large better than what any of the so-called competition is doing. That being said, the idea of being able to see the entire rough footage would be awesome. Not because I don't think you don't find all the sexy bits any way, but just that it'd be sort of a behind the scenes but with videos. I love the little extra videos that get added, makes it more fun to see the models as people. I think seeing the unedited video would show us a bunch of the cute bloopers that I think make this site more fun than most. I personally don't think that there is as much need for the stills to be posted in their entirety, since I for one don't want to wade through 28 nearly identical pictures. Maybe just have a playground where all of last weeks shoots are posted in their entirety and anyone who wants to go and play with them can, but those who don't don't have to go there.

Comment

Split files are a minor inconvenience for watching.

Provided they're kept below 4 GB for people who use FAT32, I don't see the point of splitting videos these days -- the download servers support resuming, and it's easy to get a browser / download manager that handles resuming too.

Also once downloaded and added to collection, splitting = more files = more scrolling around in file manager to find a specific video.

Comment

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter

Sign up for the abby newsletter. Don't worry, we'll NEVER share your email address with anyone.
                                                            Working...
                                                            X