Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monitor resolution

Hi guys,

What happens is my computer starts and boots up, goes through the Windows logo screen and then the blue screen appears. Then suddenly the screen goes dark and the message "Out of Range" appears on my monitor accompanied by frequencies (in hz) below this.

I read up about it on forums and tried changing the screen resolution and bit colours. Nothing as yet has done it. I know now it is not the monitor itself as tried it on my bigger plasma TV and it goes off in the same way but with no message this time.

I can only get into Windows, access my files and get on the internet in Safe Mode with Networking at the moment but of course this has limitations as some programmes like ITunes don't open properly and some videos don't display well on this.

This has only been happening recently, i.e it occasionally has occured since a few months back. Previously it would just happen a few times and the fourth or fifth time I restarted my computer it would sort itself and load the desktop again as normal. Since a few days ago though it is not coming back.

I have Windows XP by the way. A 19" LCD monitor. An HP computer.

Got any suggestions for me? Can I go in and change settings? Or is my computer/hard drive/drivers a little bit screwed in some way? I have had this PC for a while now.

SF
    Last edited by sweatyfox; 10 November 2010, 11:11 PM.

When you boot press f8 and get the screen up where you would go to safe mode, but DON'T. Select VGA and that will boot windows with 640x480 or 800x600 video resolution.

Then click a blank spot on the desktop and select properties then Settings tab and move the slider over till you find a resolution that works and that you like.

HTH, Big Spud

Comment

Also if you can go Online go to the website of the maker of your computer's video card. The driver file for it has probably become corrupt and needs replaced. Either it's an on-board video output or it's an add-on card that's plugged into your computer's motherboard that handles the video display output. Either way find out who the manufacturer of it is and look Online for an updated driver that you can download and install, so as to restore full functionality of your computer's video display capabilities. You may even have to use a second computer to do the download, then just burn the file to a disc or flash drive for installing into your computer. Be sure when you select the driver to match the model number and rev version of the video card as closely as you can, so you'll know you're getting the right driver for your device.

Your video card may have also just gone bad and it's time for replacement, but try updating the driver first, since it's the easiest step and won't cost you anything.

Try that and please get back with us with your results and findings.

Comment

Since safe-mode works for you, I would guess the drivers are the likely problem. What video-card do you have ?

Comment

Hi guys,

Thanks for the help so far. Is still not working when I set resolution to 800 x 600 and 16 bit so I think it must be video driver.

I will try and give as much information as possible:

Hewlett Packard (HP) Pavillion desktop computer (not sure exactly what number)
          Windows XP
          NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS (am I right in thinking this is the video card?)
          Intel Pentium 3.2 GHz

It does say Adapter Description : NVIDIA

Lookin at Adapter Type though it says : Not Available

When I right click on the desktop in safemode and go to the Display Properties, click on Advanced, the DPI setting is normal size (96 DPI). If I go to the Adapter tab there is no information shown. Clicking on Properties, it comes up with VgaSave as being my device. On the Driver tab the status is Started and the startup type is System.

Anyway dunno if anyone has further thoughts.

SF

Comment

Visit the nVidia site , choose your country region and search for the driver for your 7600 GS card. Download it then install it, then re-start your puter. Let us know what the results are after you've done that.

Comment

Well it seems to have done it, I am back on now. Hope it continues.

Thanks to all for your help which is much appreciated.

SF

Comment

Originally posted by sweatyfox View Post
                Well it seems to have done it, I am back on now. Hope it continues.

Thanks to all for your help which is much appreciated.

SF
                Yay! And you are quite welcome. Good thing is that you didn't have to spend any money on a new video card.

I'm glad to be of help.

Comment

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter

Sign up for the abby newsletter. Don't worry, we'll NEVER share your email address with anyone.
                Working...
                X