Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New design: the 'boards

Hi guys

As part of the redesign, we're trying to make everything easier and smaller and more streamlined. The boards have not worked as well as I had hoped, there are a few regulars, which is great, but it's not the community I had hoped.

In hind sight, it's probably a dumb thing to aim for - ppl are here for the pics, not to chat with other ppl here for the pics. There are many more dynamic and interesting boards out there to be a member of, and we cannot really compete.

So, what that in mind, unless anyone comes up with a decent reason for not doing it, I plan to close the 'boards in a few weeks (when the new design comes into effect). I might bring them back again in six months, working on the theory that with more members, they may become more active, and my member base is growing all the time.

Let me know what you think.

Abby

img tag disable, use attachment mgr/system to add images to postshttp://www.abbywinters.com/discus/clipart/happy.gif But !! .. we can still e-mail u when you ( or is that VM ? ) gets something wrong, right ?
    img tag disable, use attachment mgr/system to add images to postshttp://www.abbywinters.com/discus/clipart/happy.gif

Comment

Hmmmmmm.... my first thought is .... how will you get this feed back if you close the boards..

Comment

Hi

The move function does not work, but Kumaraguy asked how you'd offer feedback without the boards.

Truth is, I get very little feedback form the boards. I get a lot more via email. It seems that people are not comfortable airing their issues in a place like this, which is a shame for the site, but understandable.

The feedback that is offerred is not usually discussion-based stuff anyway, it's someone asking a question that I amswer, and that's it. That kinda thinf is more suited to email. If the same question gets asked enough times, I'll add it to the FAQ.

But it's almost embarrassing to have all this discussion board infrastructure ready, and to be very underused. I thought of moving the boards to the free area of the site, but I don't see how it could become any kinda asset then.

abby

Comment

Of course, you can email us when we get something wrong!

abby

Comment

I think it'd be a real mistake to close the 'boards completely, maybe just scale them down a touch. You should just let people post what they like, when they like, & not get too deflated if there are a few 'quiet spells'.

By the way Abby (& VidDude), I'd been meaning to ask : this much-anticipated new site redesign, would it have anything to do with a certain other site (who shall remain nameless!) completely ripping off the current style, even down to the fontstyles? I couldn't believe they'd been so blatant about it.

Comment

Syb, thanks for your feedback.

With regards to the Other Site, I have traded several emails with the owner, and he saw it my way (luckily for him). He appeared to be sincerely sorry, and honestly tried very hard to work within the 48 hour time frame to change his site design.

It's now considerably different from mine, and just between you and me, looks pretty damn ugly (even before, it was a bad copy of an average design). He has also changed a lot of his text, which he copied word for word (literally!).

So, I'm happy with that. He's a nice guy, new to the biz, and I see myself in him a little as well, so I went easy on him. img tag disable, use attachment mgr/system to add images to postshttp://www.abbywinters.com/discus/clipart/happy.gif I hope he does not grow into serious competition with me, tho :/

Abby

Comment

95% of the time it certainly is me that gets things wrong img tag disable, use attachment mgr/system to add images to postshttp://www.abbywinters.com/discus/clipart/sad.gif

Usually that's because I proofread Abby's stuff before I upload it, so when SHE gets something wrong, there's me as a failsafe. Considering I'm my own subsequent failsafe, that's part of the problem...

Anyhoo, the site redesign was something we'd planned long before that rip-off site appeared - it was my plan to re-jigger the design every so often (which I have done with things like new graphics or the opening page looking a little flashier) and as it's our first anniversary coming up, and there are a few things that Abby and I were frustrated over some of the corners we painted ourselves into, we decided to go all out and just start from scratch. This new design should open us up a little more.

We even have a new logo design (which you can see a B&W version of on the most recent videos).

Though I'm struggling with a cross-browser problem in amongst it all, so I hope I get that sorted out.

Comment

Close the Message Boards??? Are you TRYING to stir up a discussion?

I'm a new member, and I've been enjoying the heck out of them. So educational! If you take them away I may not renew at your annual rate!

Seriously - I think the lack of "noise" is impressive. (Present company excepted, of course.) Maybe you should view members' reticence as a demonstration of erudition and restraint. Be careful - you might get what you're asking for ;-)

I admire the design, too, webmistress Abby.

Then again, you could post more pictures and cut the Boards to offset any price increase. (Just Kidding! If I get that annual membership I won't have to worry about price hikes anyway!)

(Speaking of restraint, your comments about "That Other Site" certainly demonstrate it.)

Comment

So, Admins, are you still thinking about closing the Boards? img tag disable, use attachment mgr/system to add images to postshttp://www.abbywinters.com/discus/clipart/wink.gif

Comment

heh, prolly not, now. Getting around 25 posts a day. That's a 5987213% (roughly - Arsby?) increase to what they were doing a few weeks back.

Thanks to all.

Abby

Comment

I would sincerely hope not....It seems to be quite successful in the very limited time I've been here..Also it is refreshing to find a themed notice board where the webby people not only listen to the input but also (amazement) reply within a useful timeframe! :0)

Comment

What, did I hear my name?

The boards went through a period where there were a post or two a week, that's when it seemed like they weren't working out. But now that they're getting a bunch of posts a day it would be silly to take them away, right Abby?

Abby is alluding to the fact that I like statistics. I recently sent her stats about when, who, and how many discussion board posts. Abby is clueless with numbers. What can I do?

Comment

Jeeze, ease up, Arsby! I'm not THAT hopeless! And yes, the boards will stay around so long as they are utilised.

Abby

Comment

Ah - Abby just realizes that while we're spending all this time reading or posting to her Boards, most of us aren't visting some other web site ;-)

Comment

We're also not looking at Abby's pictures!
                                What self-control!

Comment

It passes the time while I wait for Abby to post Megan's pictures. (Voting for her before she's even on the site!!)

Comment

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter

Sign up for the abby newsletter. Don't worry, we'll NEVER share your email address with anyone.
                                  Working...
                                  X