MPG PAL or NTSC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MPG PAL or NTSC?

I was playing with putting all the MPG videos I have onto a disc and try them on my home player and BIG screen TV, but I have run into a snag. I get a message that says the file is in PAL format. Some vids (ally's so far) came through OK but most of them are rejected.

I don't know enough about this stuff yet to know if when an MPG is created you have to specify a format or is is specified when the image is captured at the camera initially. Is there any way to convert them to NTSC compatible MPGs?

Thanks,

Spud

I didn't realise this would be an issue.

They are PAL because they are captured with a PAL camera, which means a certain number of lines are in the image - but I figured after video compression for the web, all PALness was stripped out of them and you could do whatever you like with them. Apparently not so.

There are converters, usually designed for DVD-ripping, that you can find all over the place. But it's an additional level of compression if you do that, so beware.

Comment

Hey VM, Now you have learned something new! I'll keep looking for the conversion thing. Bummer about Charlie's raw files.

Thanks, Spud

Comment

Success! (sort of). I told the program to use the PAL standard and it happily made the DVD. The sound is screwed up (very fast), but the motion is fantastic. The image is a little pixelated, but it is still better than watching on my PC monitor.

Comment

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter

Sign up for the abby newsletter. Don't worry, we'll NEVER share your email address with anyone.
        Working...
        X