Conserving Bandwidth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Conserving Bandwidth

My first post so please bear with me if I mess anything up.

Understanding Abby's need to conserve bandwidth and keep costs down, I have been using an application called Thumbs Plus from Cerious Software (http://www.cerious.com/) to index and organize all the content I enjoy so much.

It's good for my needs because:

- It keeps thumbnail images of all the photos
    - It understands ZIP files so I don't need to unpack all the images
    - It does slide shows where it scales the images to my monitor size
    - I can create "Galleries" of particular favourite images. For example, I have a gallery of one image of each model so I can compare and then jump to the whole series.
    - It also has a pretty good image editor.

Using Thumbs Plus means I only need to visit the site to download the latest images - after that I can work locally without accessing the site.

Congratulations on a great site. I found it from a picture of Ally on Usenet and decided to subscribe based on her pictures and the feeling that this site is a labour of love and not a commercial ripoff. So far (2 months) I have not been disappointed. Keep up the great work - and if you have any more pictures of Ally, please post them soon.

Thanks for the link Artful..
    I have downloaded the trial program and from my breif excursion into its features I would say that it is as good as you say it is .....
    Tho it aint cheap is it ? ......

Comment

Hullo

I use thumbsplus to do a lot of work on the pics for this site, so I can definitely recommend it for that kinda organisation... but I don't use it as a viewer. i find it too big and cumbersome. For merely viewing pics, I use ACDsee (v4 just released).

With regards to bandwidth, it's better for me if people download the zips, and then view the images on their own machine when they wish to, rather than come back to the site to look at images of their fave model each time they feel like it.

However, you are paying customers, so I cannot govern that too much!

Thanks for posting Artful, hope to see you posting more soon (what do you think of the new design?).

a

Comment

I think I paid more like $50 for Thumbs Plus when I purchased it a year or so ago. Looks like inflation has hit the software industry.

Perhaps Abby could do a joint marketing deal with Cerious and get members a discount? I am sure Cerious would cherish the endorsement from abbywinters.com.

I checked the site for ACDsee and was highly amused to see that thire featured customer is "Furry Friends Rescue" - an animal rescue organization I think. I will not go there with the obvious bad jokes that I could make.

Comment

heh, I like the idea of a sponsorship... I'll run it by them!

a

Comment

Hi guys

I have run the idea of some kinda deal by Cerious Software (the people who Make ThumbsPlus), and they have agreed to offer their software for $55 including shipping. It's's usually about $85, so that is a good deal.

If you are interested, please send me an email, and I will send you back the order form that needs to be faxed to them (this is the only way to get the deal).

Abby

Comment

Cool img tag disable, use attachment mgr/system to add images to postshttp://www.abbywinters.com/discus/clipart/happy.gif
              Being "family" does have its advantages ....

Comment

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter

Sign up for the abby newsletter. Don't worry, we'll NEVER share your email address with anyone.
              Working...
              X