DivX 5.05 ruined my life!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DivX 5.05 ruined my life!!

I grabbed the latest codecs so that I could watch the vids of the FANTASTIC Kate E, and they played through fine.

However when I went back to check out some of the older stuff it could hardly play it at all!! The sound came trhough but the video was only updateing every 4-5 seconds!! The native DivX player was hardly much better! This is very annoying seing as it's video that I've watched and enjoyed many times before.

I was a bit more scientific about it and it seems to be that it's the larger movies that it has trouble with. Those over 20 MB is size, i.e. most of the gold stuff, THE GOOD STUFF!!

HAs anybody else experienced these problems? Can anyone point me at a working link for DivX 5.03? And in general, HELP!!!?

Hmm. I admit I haven't tried the Gold vids with the new DivX yet. I shall investigate on Monday when I'm back at work, and see if I can find a fix.

Comment

I, too, went to play the most amazing and extremely sexy Kate_E's avi's, but in my case I got a pop-up (hopefully shown below) from DivX when i tried to play her, lol. I had just beforehand downloaded the new 5.0.5 version of DivX Pro (ad supported); before that I hadn't had any DivX viewer installed on this pos. My O/S and platform is Win98SE

img tag disable, use attachment mgr/system to add images to postshttp://www.abbywinters.com/discus/messages/4/1547.jpg

Comment

Ash, the reason you got that error was becaue you had never installed any of the earlier DivX codecs before, so that's a bit of a misstep on DivX's part.

Try downloading this: http://download.divxmovies.com/divx_3.11alpha.zip

It's the original DivX install, and has files like the DX50 that you'll need.

Comment

No problems here. I just installed the divx 5.05 codec (already had an earlier version installed). Kate E's AVIs work fine, and so do all gold vids. I'm using the brilliant zoomplayer btw.

Did you get all your other computer probs sorted out, Jus?

M

Comment

Well, Dyson, though my tests were by no means exhaustive, the Gold vids I have to hand all work fine, and, except for a very few, every Gold video is processed exactly the same every time.

Can you give me an example of the Gold vids (or others) that fail for you?

Comment

The largest .avi that I could get to work was the girlsonfilm promo, or violet1vid which are both just under 20MB. The next largest one I have is jomiavid5 which is about 31MB and has the problems I mentioned, I tried all 20 videos that are larger than that and they all have the same problems.

Strangely though, I have tried with some other avi's that are of this size and some of them work, but I can't tell for sure if they were done with DivX or not.

The problem is most likely that my 6 year old PC has falled below minimum spec for the latest DivX codecs, it is only a 266MHz after all.

yet another good reason to replace my PC i guess.

Comment

I think you've hit on the problem. The Gold vids, apart from being larger in weight and dimensions, are also higher resolution and lower compression - that means there is much more information per-frame that needs to be going through your system in order to watch them. Your computer is about at its limits for that, I think.

A new processor and motherboard and RAM isn't as expensive as it used to be, and the increase in specs is astronomical, so I say take the plunge and upgrade.

Comment

VM, thanks for your comment and suggestion, but when I try to install the DivX_311.inf it tells me I need to insert a disk my manufacturer gave me in order to complete the installation; I cant find any such disk and I have all the original stuff img tag disable, use attachment mgr/system to add images to postshttp://www.abbywinters.com/discus/clipart/sad.gif

I, too, think I fall below specs for what the new codec requires. I have a 233MMX Pent II with a mere 32 megs of memory so I think I'm fecked, it's that simple, but thank you just the same, VM; I appreciate your steer.

Hi, mugs, no, I dont have anything sorted out, really. I just have to wait on funds to get my other computer f-disked, etc. Thanks for asking, cutie pie. Pickens blows you a kiss img tag disable, use attachment mgr/system to add images to postshttp://www.abbywinters.com/discus/clipart/happy.gif

Comment

I followed the links to the upgraded software and installed it it didn't seem to do anything at first ie(it didn't work on the Jamie video) then I down loaded the latest version of QT6.3 for my MAC and restarted. At that point none of my browsers would launch. At first I thought it was the fault of the QT upgrade. Only after hunting down and trashing anything having to do with divx5.05 did I get my browsers to work again. I will never download another AVI file from AbbyWinters again!

I might add that I must have downloaded Jamie new video at lest 3 times trying to make it work, so Abby in my case it didn't save you any bandwith by posting it in AVI rather then MPEG. Needless to say you have one dissatisfied customer here! In the future I be sure to limit my spending to sites that are more cross platform friendly.

Comment

I'm sorry to hear you're having such trouble, Hemdale. We endeavour to be as cross-platform as possible, but there are realistic limits on what we can do. It is rare to hear that people have trouble with our videos. Less than 0.01% of our members contact us about trouble they're having with videos, and the overwhelming majority of them have their problems solved with alacrity, sometimes from our suggestions, sometimes as a result of their own invetigations.

Even though you, perhaps unnecessarily, downloaded Jamie's video three times, that isn't enough motivation for us to make a 100Mb MPEG version of it. Our only other option available to us is to make it a Windows native .wmv, which probably wouldn't help. We aren't equipped to make Quicktime at this stage.

If it helps any, we don't recommend you watch the videos in the Quicktime Player, instead use Windows Media Player for Mac, with DivX 5.05 installed. But clearly something about that combination seems to upset your system, so perhaps that's still not ideal.

We're very sorry for the hassles. We try our best, but we cannot please everybody all of the time.

Comment

Hemdale, if you cannot get the vids to work, I'd be glad to offer you a refund - the least we can do. Please shoot me off an email with your username.

abby

Comment

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter

Sign up for the abby newsletter. Don't worry, we'll NEVER share your email address with anyone.
                        Working...
                        X