• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tips for DivX from a Mac user

Hiya

Just in from a member:

---------------------------------------------------------
    Downloading .avi files on a Mac using Internet Explorer with Quicktime

1) Click on the file name. (On a Mac you can only click, there is no left or
    right click.)

2) A screen will open with the Quicktime logo. You will see the progress bar
    at the bottom indicating that the file is loading.

3) When the complete file has loaded, Quicktime will try to play it and you
    will get an error message of some type. Go to the Preferences folder for IE
    (System>Preferences>Explorer>Tempo rary Files.) There you will find the
    downloaded .avi movie.

4) Drag the .avi movie to your desktop. You must do this before you shut
    down the computer as they will be removed when the computer shuts down.

5) You will need to convert the .avi to a Quicktime movie. I downloaded Divx
    5.05 and tried it on your movies, but it didn't work. Then I tried another
    program I have, Divx Doctor II and this worked well. This program can be
    downloaded for free over the internet.

6) Divx Doctor II will convert the .avi onto a Quicktime .mov file that will
    play in Quicktime. Some of your files seem to convert better than others,
    but all are very acceptable.

The .mpeg files are downloaded and saved in the same way as steps 1-4. Mpeg
    files do not need to be converted on a Mac. However, they will replay as an
    imbedded IE Explorer document and, therefore, the screen size cannot be
    changed (unless you change the monitor resolution to make it bigger.

I do not have a method for Netscape. However, I can't think of a reason
    anyone would use Netscape over IE, unless your hatred of Bill Gates is that
    extreme.

*Be aware that while it works on my Mac, that doesn't mean it will work on another.

-------------------------------------------------

Hope this helps someone.

Abby

A Mac User contributes:
    Comments: FYI:
    When I downloaded an avi file and played it on Quick Time 6.4 using the free Dvix decoder pointed out in your website, I could get the video but no audio. I checked the Dvix website and several user sites and others are having the same problem (video without audio) even when using the $20 (US) Dvix Pro version of the decoder software.

After doing several searches (both on the Internet and, the old fashioned way, going to the library), I found two players that seem to play the avi files. Not only that, they both are free. The one that seems to be a little better is VLC, a cross-platform multimedia player (which has a version for OSX) and it can be found at http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html. The other player is MPlayerOSX2b6.5 which can be found at http://mplayerosx.sourceforge.net.

Hopefully, this information (if you don't already know it) will be of assistance to your other customers who are Mac OSX users.

Comment

>1) Click on the file name. (On a Mac you can only click, there is no left or
      >right click.)

It's right macs come with single-button mice, but you can hold the ctrl key while clicking to establish a 'right-click'. And if you get a two-button mouse you'll have a genuine right-click experience (courtesy of Bill ;-)

If you right-click or ctrl-click on a filename you'll get a contextual menu and you can choose 'download link to disk' which usually puts the file right on your desktop, avoiding steps 2 to 4 mentioned.

>5) You will need to convert the .avi to a Quicktime movie. I downloaded Divx
      >5.05 and tried it on your movies, but it didn't work. Then I tried another
      >program I have, Divx Doctor II and this worked well. This program can be
      >downloaded for free over the internet.

Please read the thread 'help a mac user with sound problems' in this topic,
      as you should be able to play avi files directly in Quicktime. And otherwise the VLC or MPlayer mentioned in this thread should work.

>Mpeg files do not need to be converted on a Mac. However, they will replay as an
      >imbedded IE Explorer document and, therefore, the screen size cannot be
      >changed (unless you change the monitor resolution to make it bigger.

Quicktime player should have no problem with resizing mpeg files. Just drop the file on the Quicktime Player icon or choose 'Get Info' on the file to change the default application for playing it.
      Maarten

Comment

Hi Abby,

As a seasoned Mac user, using AVI and MPEG-1 was always going to cause problems. Unfortunately, for us lucky few, there was no real solution.

However, as you have now dropped AVI as a video codec (Woooo Hoooo!!!), could I recommend just sticking to two versions of the excellent MPEG-4 codec.

Whilst DivX is excellent, Windows Media Player 9's native format (.WMV) is MPEG-4, but as usual, Microsoft have tweaked the format slightly, as well as the name. This plays back in Mac OS X well, as Microsoft have now released a Player for us.

It might be worth also saving a format in MPEG-4 native. This can be played back not only by Windows Media Player, but also QuickTime, so helps us mac users.

Both have excellent sound sync (unlike DivX), and also fast-forwards / rewinds easily, and smoothly.

Best of Luck.

Email me if you need more help.

BigDave

Comment

As Maarten rightly says - things are easier on a Mac than the 1st message implies.

You can also do something else to make your life even easier.

1) Open the QuickTime System Preferences
          2) Click the Plug-In tab.
          3) Click the MIME-Settings button.
          4) Under Streaming, check DivX AVI File
          5) Under Video, check Video for Windows (AVI) File
          6) Click OK to save your changes.
          7) Close the System Preferences

You should now be able to stream in Abby's videos - no need to wait till the end.
          Also, once saved (see Maartens comments above), all you need to do is double click the video, as QuickTime is now set as the default player.

As for not being able to scale the video, I'm not sure why anyone is having difficulty in this. I have an old G3 Mac, as the videos play back lovely full-screen. And I have a 21" monitor - making Abby's videos LUVERLY!!!

Comment

Bigdave

Most Mac users can view our vids fine, but we made this thread for ppl who have problems.

We have considered using WMV, but got largely shouted down by idiots concerned about MS's world domination, or some shit.

WMV is an awesome format that works on almost all machines out of the box, high compression, excellent quality, and very configurable. MS does somthing right!

I cannot be bothered to deal with the childish complainers, and to be frank, I am getting sick of video content being so much damn trouble. MPG seems to be a good lowest common denominator.

abby

Comment

Hello Abby!

This is my first post on this board, and I hope to make good use of it and your wonderful site!

Quote Abby:
              "I cannot be bothered to deal with the childish complainers, and to be frank, I am getting sick of video content being so much damn trouble. MPG seems to be a good lowest common denominator. "

Yes, its very true, becuase its been around the longest and has all the kinks worked out!

In My Humble Opinion, AVI is one of the worst "file formats" used. What I mean by "file formats" is its a package of an Audio codec, Video codec, and support information (such as encryption). A "codec" means "COder and DECoder", and instructs how a player program can turn an encoded (coded) source into visible movie from compressed data (decoding).

What is wrong about AVI is there is no enforced standard to it, so there is lots of programs that make ".AVI", but each does it a little different, and players cannot play all the different "flavors" of it! Sure AVI does offer better compression for the same quailty, but if customers cant see, its worthless!

QuickTime (.MOV) is better then AVI becuase
              1. Apple does enforce its "file format", and playback success on any system is much higher!
              2. QT offers a number of very high quailty codecs, including "Sorenson" and "Cinepak"

Why do you think nearly all movies have trailers in QuickTime?
              Watch trailers for movies and TV shows on tv.apple.com. Browse trailers for upcoming TV series and films.

Learn how to use QuickTime Player on your Mac to play, record, and edit movies or audio recordings.

Yeah, it does sound like advertisment for QuickTime, but like the previous posts, I too have had a DEVIL of a time with AVI formats, on BOTH Windows (98-XP) and Mac. My friend running Win2K could not get your AVI to play even after loading WMP 9.1. She is really getting annoyed at her machine.

I dont know how much you know about QuickTime, and I would expect is to be a little more pricy then an AVI coder, but give it a go! I know someone at AW has an eMac, and iMovie will be on it with a QuickTime encoder on it, so give it a try and see how it works out?

Hey, thats an idea. Make one film in QuickTime only (no AVI or MPG), and see how well people can play it.

I hope it helps you Abby! Nothing worse then a movie one cant watch!

Love Dr
              {edit to clarify decoding movies}
              Last edited by Love-Dr.; 24 December 2003, 03:53 AM.

Comment

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter

Sign up for the abby newsletter. Don't worry, we'll NEVER share your email address with anyone.
              Working...
              X