Message board index length

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Message board index length

Is it possible to break up the index of the threads in the message board, so that they are in smaller pages, with say only the newest 25 threads shown rather than every thread as is currently the case. The index where this thread is in is around 200K long and took about 1 1/2 minutes to load and the models thread is about 350k and took near 2 1/2 minutes to load. With a paged index it should only take a fraction of that.

Although not as important some of the threads themselves are that bloody long that I don't even bother to load them because I know they will take for ever to load. Some other systems are able to break threads up, and gives the option of loading just the page that contains the latest changes, which saves time too. Is this possible with this system?

Thanks, from somone who lives in the capital of the country and can only get a maximum speed of 26400 on his modem and no broadband!

Hi Jimmy, I don't know about paging the index, but I agree it would load faster. I only use the index on rare occasions once I discovered the "latest" threads option.

Copy this link to a shortcut and you will only see the discussions that have had an update in the previous 24 hours. Or you can look at the first page of the boards where all the different discussions are listed. That is a short page. In tiny, microscopic, nearly invisible type right above the box of the various discussions are 2 links for today's and this week's discussions. I found them quite by accident and then book marked the today one.

Comment

These boards generally suck because they do not have all the features you'd really find useful, but instead only have features the programmer thought would be cool - he clearly has the imagination of a cardboard box.

The plan is to soon change over to a different brand, when we have the time, that actually have features we want.

Comment

Hey Videoman, a new board sounds good, understand that this is really secondary to the real action. One thing though after I wrote my message I thought I would see how long it took to load one of the threads that had 200+ messages in it, and to my surprise it was borken down into 20 message lots which was a good thing. If that could be done to the index in the bigger headings that would be good. I'll try the other suggestions made.
        Thanks

Comment

It would be good. In fact it would be great. After your initial request I sought out the possibility of this being done, and the short answer is it can't.

Stupid mother of a piece of crap software.

The latest version probably does, but as we are going to change software completely we figured we'd not get that latest version, so we're buggered on that count, I'm afraid. Only answer is to prune the older threads. Not sure if we'll do that or not.

Comment

I'd rather not, I like the posterity (?)... we'll be porting over to our new 'boards in a few weeks, so if you can bare with it until then...

I absolutely HATE these boards, everything abotu them is annoying, so I am really looking forward to to Stage 2 of the website upgrade - and speaking of which, there are a heap of other cool things we're adding as well. So stay tuned.

abby

Comment

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter

Sign up for the abby newsletter. Don't worry, we'll NEVER share your email address with anyone.
            Working...
            X