Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help me test for PNG capabilities

Hi folks,

I have been playing around with PNG files here today. They're graphic files sort of like GIFs, used for small images like logos and menu headings and stuff, but they are capable of superior transparency.

The problem is browser support. Most browsers (so I'm told) deal with the transparency exactly as they should, except for one: Internet Explorer. Unfortunately, IE has something like 95% market saturation. There's a kludge to make it work for IE, but I don't trust its universality.

What I'd like is for you to look at this page and tell me if the abby logo shows up against the background with true transparency - i.e. there's no blocky ugly edges. Or, worse, maybe the logos don't even appear at all! Whatever the case, please tell me your browser version.

Thanks fellows!

I'm using IE6 and appears to be working fine, that is if the page is as follows, first column solid logo, gap, then 2 transparent logos, then 2 solid logos, second column, 2 gaps, solid logo, gap and then 2 transparent logos. There are no blocky ugly edges.

Hope this is what you wanted to hear???

Comment

The columns aren't important, as they'll appear different to each screen resolution. It's the transparency that matters.

Thanks, Angelus.

Comment

No worries dude.

Comment

Right. I've got IE6, and I see 8 logos. 4 appear pale and "ghostly" compared to the other 4, but none appear transparent.

Comment

Well if they were completely transparent, they'd not be seen at all! img tag disable, use attachment mgr/system to add images to postshttp://www.abbywinters.com/discus/clipart/happy.gif Obviously, the 'ghostly' appearance is semi-transparency. Plus, the edges of the letters and the dropshadow each blending into the background are also transparency in action. So it's all good.

Comment

Looks OK to me
              IE6.0.2800.1106.xpsp2.030422-1633 img tag disable, use attachment mgr/system to add images to postshttp://www.abbywinters.com/discus/clipart/happy.gif

Comment

Looks good to me, using K-melon 0.7 based on mozilla

Comment

Looks fine on Mozilla 1.4 and Netscape 7.0......I don't even look in IE's direction any more.....what a geeky way to make my first post lol

Comment

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter

Sign up for the abby newsletter. Don't worry, we'll NEVER share your email address with anyone.
                  Working...
                  X