Download probs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Download probs

recently my downloader (Netvampire v4.0) has started having to go back to the start of a download file if the line drops out part way through. It always used to start again where it left off. Still works fine on other sites too.

Is there some setting that should be changed at your end or my end to sort this out?

Thanks

Hans

Hi Hans

Nothing has changed on our end - now there's a thread, we'll have to wait and see if anyone else has a problem.

a

Comment

Not any drop-out problems as such.

One thing I have noticed from time to time tho' is that custom zip files I create sometimes cannot be found when my downloader gets to them?

Are they on a time out?

Cap'n. :0/

Comment

Hi Cap

I'll have to ask the geek - I'll let you know. If you have more info on which ones time out (big ones? days when your interent is slow?), that would be helpful. Any patterns you have noticed, that sorta thing.

abby

Comment

Hi Abby,

It mainly happens if I have more than a couple of zips queued for download. My internet connection doesn't sem to be a problem, even though it is dial-up, it happens even when it it on it's best behaviour! :0( It certainly doesn't seem to be size related either. Big or small it says 'file does not exist' or words to that effect.

I think it may be time-out related?

Odd :0/

Cap'n.

Comment

cap, what kinda timeframe are we talking about? A timeout does seem likely - when we designed the system, we spoke a bout a few hours before the files get deleted, but we got complaints right away, so I thought we lengenthened that to ...something.

Presumably, you have only had this problem with the custom zips, never the pre-made ones?

a

Comment

Hi,
              I gave up on the custom made zips long ago
              They often wouldn't work for me even if I started downloading them within minutes of setting them up
              The pre-made ones work fine
              By the way Capt'nk, what d/lodr do u use?

Comment

Yep, same problem as Kumaraguy there! I use Download Accelerator Plus. Usually works very well.

Time wise I am only talking of mebbe twenty minutes,...... forty minutes tops.

Yep, custom zips.....They are all I have ever used!

Comment

Hi

The timeout is 24 hours - are your dowenloads taking longer than that?

a

Comment

No, as Kumaraguy says, a matter of miniutes rather than hours on custom zips :0/

Cap'n.

Comment

Sorry to report a further decrease in functionality of custom zips :0(

Now as soon as they are created I click on download & get 'file does not exist error message. :0(

Cap'n.

Comment

Hi Cap

We're looking into this. Can you please provide a detailed step-by-step of what you are doing, and also let me know the name and version of the web browser you are using?

Thanks.

abby

Comment

Right.....

Basically ticking the boxes, clicking on zip & attempting to download.

I am using Flashpeak's Slimbrowser most recent version 3.86. It is a bit like a skin on IE6. I was having similar problems before using it tho'. I used an early version of IE6 then.

Cap'n. :0/

Comment

Hi,

I have been using GetRight to manage my downloads for years and it has always worked fine. However, in the last month or so I have noticed that when resuming a download from Abby Winters it restarts again from the beginning. However, if for example, only a small part of the file has been previously downloaded, like say 5% then it resumes fine. But if say 90% had been completed then it restarts from 0% on resume. I haven't been able to work out where the cut off point is yet.

Hope there is something I can do or try as it's getting hard to get the bigger video files now on a dial up connection.

Thanks

Comment

Hi Guys

We have tested it here and it seems to work fine. Are you noticing any particular filetype you have problems with? IE, movies as opposed to zips; custom zips as opposed to pre-built.

Please note, we only really support NetVampire. While other apps may work, we don;t support them.

abby

Comment

Originally posted by Abby
                                ...We have tested it here and it seems to work fine. Are you noticing any particular filetype you have problems with? IE, movies as opposed to zips; custom zips as opposed to pre-built....
                                Hi, thanks for replying. It's kind of strange - I have been able to resume properly with GetRight for the whole two and a half years I have been a subscriber until about a month ago. I haven't installed a new version of GetRight either.

To answer your question - it happens with both the pre-built .zip files and the .avi's.

Now, I have just resumed a .zip file (75% complete) and a .avi (33% complete) and both resumed properly. Hmm, that's the first time that has happened in quite a while, weird! I'll let you know if this doesn't work in the future with maybe more details.

Comment

Just to update what I have found since my last post...

I remembered that when I resubscribed the last time G Media was used when before it was CCBill (I think!) I wasn't able to use the same Username as I had before. In GetRight when you initially try to download a file which you need a Username and Password for, it pops up a dialog box to enter them. It stores these Usernames and Passwords for the future. So I removed them since they all had my old Username. But when I try to download a new file from this site GetRight no longer asks for a Username and Password - it just seems to be able to download them - that is until I disconnect from the Internet and try to resume... GetRight does allow you to manually enter a URL along with a Username and Password but it doesn't seem to work.

I found that if I try to manually start a resume it resets back to the start of the file. Then after it has restarted I can restart other files and they resume properly. They all work until a connect to the internet again. I then noticed that if I have already logged into the members section of the website then I can resume properly - even the first file that I try.

Comment

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter

Sign up for the abby newsletter. Don't worry, we'll NEVER share your email address with anyone.
                                  Working...
                                  X