Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lesbian films/vids/scenes

Hey Catwoman and everyone

Yes a thread where anyone (not just me and Catwoman) can discuss good lesbian movies, videos, scenes they have seen elsewhere, so we can leave the other threads to discuss the AW g/g shoots and videos they are supposed to be about.

To start off I would however like to ask the lovely Catwoman or even sexy Sara G whether any of the following Sapphic films and scenes has been enjoyable for them:

1 Angelina Jolie and friend (Gia)
    2 Chloe Sevigny and Michelle Williams (If These Walls Could Talk 2)
    3 Gina Gershon and Meg Tilly (Bound)
    4 Anne Heche and Joan Chen? : which movie was this in again?

Or any other times when an US indie movie or cable movie has really got it right!

SF

Hi SF (and others too.)

I've seen all the movies that you mentioned. The last with Anne Heche and the sexy Joan Chen is "Wild Side". There are actually two versions of that movie floating about. One is slightly longer and more explicit, so you need to pay attention to which one you rent/view. A little bit too much for me with the het rape scene, but otherwise ok. The acting was over the top, exp. by Chistopher Walken. (As an aside, see Joan Chen in another movie with a small lesbian subplot, "What's Cooking", where she plays a mom (not a lesbian), and you won't believe that it is the same woman.)

Gia is a terrific movie, but of course not very uplifting. Better to follow watching that one with something a little more "happy".

I enjoyed the set up in Bound and the feel of the entire movie. It is one of my favorite fun movies. One of those movies that whether you like your women butch or femme you'll have someone to drool after. (Originally they wanted Tilly to play the butch and she asked to play the femme role. Now that would have been some miscasting.)

Chloe Sevigny and Michelle William in "It These Walls Could Talk 2" very well done. I have heard some critism from older lesbians that it was not "historically" accurate about lesbian culture at the time, but I wouldn't know as it was before my time.) Personally, I think that Chloe Sevigny is soooo sexy, that I really did 't care if it was "accurate" or not.

For coming out movies, my favorite is "All Over Me". (It is only available in video and is very well done. The same women responsable for the CS and MW piece in "If These..." are responsible for this movie as well.) An oldie that I like is "Desert Hearts" since it is a nice love story, well acted, nice love scenes with a real plot. Though it has a much slimmer plot and is very predicable, I also like "When Night is Falling". Very sweet with great looking leads. (Of course, SF, it begins with Pascale Bussiers, swimming nude in the water under ice interacting with another woman. Well, you know my water thing...)

There are alot of good shorts and compliations out there too. Also movies with different set ups, BDSM world ("Mercy"); Indian culture; ("Chutney Popcorn" and "Fire"). SF, if you have an interest in a particular movie or type of set up in an R type movie, let me know. I tend to stay current on the topic as it is a bit of a hobby of mine.

Comment

Thanks Catwoman, I knew I could turn to you as a veritable font of knowledge on the subject. I will get round to letting you know about particular set ups or interests I like, I could do with some recommendations for R/softer movies. As I said before I like a little of both R and more explicit X, just depends on my mood really. I'm always a sucker for a good story with nicely shot and believable scenes and a lot of affection and tenderness, just as much as some more explicit, steamy, wet action!

I think here in the UK that nowadays when 2 versions are released in the US (R and Unrated), we tend to get the full uncut or unrated version. In most cases anyway, so I would imagine I can see "Wild Side" in all its glory. Not so many hang ups about more steamy scenes in movies here! We also of course get a lot of European indie or arthouse movies. I think I saw "Fire" in a high street music store the other day.

I seem to remember being in the States and seeing some movie "The Truth About Jane" on Lifetime cable channel. Also a show on ABC that got cancelled, either "Now and Again" or "Once and Again"? It had one story line where the daughter, (played by spunky Evan Rachel Wood), had feelings for one of her female friends. Stupid TV network cancelling it, ratings chasing executives, oh well. I think it's a shame you have to go to cable networks to see better bi/lesbian female characters, it seems gay male characters are better represented on network shows than female ones. Also I don't imagine so many of these US indie movies, lesbian themed, open on so many screens in the Midwest or South, only in big cities.

SF

Comment

Yes, I know that other parts of the world don't have the hang-ups about sex and nudity that censors do in the US. You wouldn't believe how they cut "Tipping the Velvet" on BBC America. A friend got a tape of what was on the tv in the UK and the difference was shocking. (It will probably be another 20 years before the censors will let a dildo be seen on US tv.) There is also a difference between the love scene in the "When Night is Falling" from Canada DVD and the US version vhs and the version shown on cable tv. The DVD has an extented love scene which is much sweeter.

Any time there is even a same sex kiss the parental warnings go up. Even the cable networks like HBO who proport to show the full movie, don't always. (You can filet someone with a knife on tv but kiss them, omg!!) The difference in the sex scenes in "Mercy" DVD and what they showed on HBO were very significant. Mind you "Mercy" was rated "R" so they really shouldn't have cut any of the movie.

I know the tv shows that you are speaking of. And have seen the "The Truth About Jane", which was a pretty good made for tv movie. Lifetime is very good showing lgbt themed movies such as "Love Makes A Family" about a lesbian fighting for custody of a child vs. the bio moms parents. There are several shows with lesbian characters, ER comes to mind first. My g/f likes the soap, "All My Children" which has had a lesbian story in the forefront for awhile. The new "L-Word" on Showtime looks promising, but I don't get bonus cable. (As for "Fire" a very nice movie with insight into Indian culture. The women in the movie are extremely beautiful.)

We are lucky that the city I live in has an independent theatre, so we get to see most of the glbt themed movies. Also, our cable company doesn't not show some series on non-cable stations with a glbt theme, like they do in some stations (esp. the south) across the US.

You're right that the US networks have alot more gay men than women. Problem is that they usually reduce the men to such stereotypes. I guess that camp is alot less threatening to the general US public in the heartland.

Comment

OO! OO! "Bound" is one of my faves. img tag disable, use attachment mgr/system to add images to postshttp://www.abbywinters.com/discus/clipart/happy.gif

abby

Comment

If you like Bound, be sure to listen to the director's narration on the DVD. Susie Bright provides the commentary along with the Wachowski Brothers. She manages to raise the level of conversation so that you find out neat things about the movie, such as the pipe scene being a metaphor for fisting or loading up the Watering Hole bar with actual lesbians instead of your regular Hollywood extras.

Comment

My favourite lesbian film is "Lianna" (1983) directed by John Sayles and starring Linda Griffiths. Some very erotic stuff in it.

Comment

I had an ancient copy of Lianna on VHS and was happy when it recently come out on DVD. It's one of my favorite movies too and yes, very erotic. I like John Sayles films esp. the fact that he uses actors that look like real people. Enjoyed the relationship that Lianna has with her friend, Sandy in the film. I remember when the movie came out that there was alot of hostility amoung some radical lesbians that a "man" had made the movie--I think that they were just jealous--and specifically the scene where Lianna walks down the street noticing all the pretty women walking by, calling it very unrealistic. On the contrary, I thought the movie very representative of the time and thought the Lianna's awakening to the beauty of women she passed in the street very realistic. What's the point of being a lesbian if you can appreciate the women you see?

Comment

Yes Catwoman, great to meet another John Sayles fan. I thought it looked realistic too, I didn't realise there was a debate over it.

Have you ever seen a film called "Go Fish", not John Sayles work, but another film giving a realistic view of lesbian life. How realistic do you think it was?

Comment

God, i feel like so lame. I havent seen
                    any of the movies you mentioned. Ive not
                    really been "practicing" with my attraction
                    to other girls for very long . . . only a
                    couple of years.

You are all giving me a good education. lol.

hugs, sara

Comment

Yes, I've seen "Go, Fish". I think that it gives a very realistic view of a specific group of lesbians in a moment in time. I think that there can be no one definitive movie on "lesbian life" as the lesbian community includes radical dykes, soccer moms in the subs, punk grrls, lipstick lesbians, and on, and on. That, being said, I think that the view in "Go, Fish" was quite refreshing given the mainstream media's need to often heterosexualize lesbians and lesbian lives. Not a great movie, but not bad for a low budget experimental film with unpaid talent. Anyway, I've always liked the film's message that there is someone out there for everyone, you just have to keep looking and drop all your preconceived notions.

Lianna did generate some debate, as I said, with the more radical women. I remember that the film was esp. treated harshless in the publication, "Off Our Backs". Not to be confused with the lesbian erotic mag., "On Our Backs", who humorously "took" their name from the more radically feminist publication

Comment

Well, Sara G, you now have a few titles to get you started on a practice session. Let us know what type of movies you like, and I am sure that someone can point you in the right direction for good films.

Comment

Hiya Catwoman

Well I have thought about the first category of story I like. 1) It is the kind of young girl coming out, where she has difficulty perhaps with friends' or family's acceptance. Whether at school or college or just in a small town etc. Also the kind of story where the attraction is obviously there but neither acknowledges it for a while or does anything about it initially.

2)Another is the young girl (like the models on this site) being attracted to a more mature lady (eg the soccer moms you've mentioned etc) or vice versa (hopefully mutual attraction).

3)I guess one more would be either attraction across different ethnicity/'race' between two girls. Or a film/movie about lesbian attraction in a culture where it is not thought of as being common or is frowned upon by some. I know you mentioned above some 'Indian culture' movies, kinda along those lines.

Well anyway you know I prefer a happy ending (especially in scenario 1) but it doesn't have to be. I do like a realistic portrait and if the ending isn't so happy I guess it is a message perhaps something needs to be done or changed. Also it would be nice if there is a genuinely erotic or steamy sex scene, though that isn't a prerequisite. I guess I am sucker for a movie which takes you through the range of emotions, almost along with the characters. (Laughter, crying, tenderness, humour, passion etc)

SF

Comment

These are some movies off the top of my head. All very different types of movies from different countries, so one might strike your fancy.

1>For the coming out stories, my favorite, which I have mentioned above is "All Over Me". Others would include "True About Jane" "TV Movie"; "Show Me Love", and "Oranges Are Not the Only Fruit". All very different types of movies from different countries, so one might strike your fancy.

2> older/younger: "Maedchen in Uniform" (1931 - German with subtitles)
                            "High Art" *
                            " I've Heard the Mermaids Singing"*
                            "Desert Hearts"
                            "Lianna"

3> cross cultural: "A Family Affair" (WASP/Jewish)comedy
                            "Churney Popcorn" (Indian/American)
                            "Incredibly True Adventures of Two Girls in Love"
                            "When Night is Falling" (Christian conflict)

*Both of these have photography as the occupation of one of the lead characters. "I've Heard the Mermaids Singing" is more about the lead character's infatuation with the older "curator".

Comment

Hi Catwoman,

Yes, I do have a nice start on titles. Can't rily
                              order any even tho i'd like to. But, you do sound
                              like you know a bunch. Read what you said about your
                              gf. Its very sweet.

hugs, sara

Comment

Oranges Are Not the Only Fruit was one of the BBC's great mini drama's, the conflict of growing up in a strict religious family, the BBC really needs to get this out on DVD. Marmalade Atkins, I mean Charlotte Coleman was superb in the lead role, I still can't believe she died.

Comment

Originally posted by Angelus
                                  [B]Marmalade Atkins, I mean Charlotte Coleman was superb in the lead role, I still can't believe she died.
                                  My sentiments exactly, to the letter, every time I remember her. I was a fan of hers as far back as Worzel Gummidge.

*bad girl warning* *bad girl warning*

Comment

Hehe, nice one. Charlotte was a great actress and is the only reason I managed to watch Four Weddings. I believe it was seeing Charlotte in Worzel Gummidge and Marmalade Atkin's as a kid which gave me weakness for red heads, at least there's still Willow, Alyson Hannigan.

Comment

Oranges is out in DVD, R2, so it can be played on Region 2 or multi-region DVD players.

Like you, Angelus, Charlotte Coleman what got me thru Four Weddings. Just loved her spirit in Oranges. What a sweetheart.

Comment

Hi Sara G: I've mentioned this before on the site, but you are new so I thought that I'd mention this to you. (For those who have heard before, my apologies.) Go to www.planetout.com and check out their popcorn cinema. They have plenty of free movies you can watch online. That's a nice savings on the pocketbook. Alot of the shorts wind up later on compliation DVDs.

Comment

Cheers Catwoman, I've just checked out play.com and it's out on a Region 0 format, have no idea how that one got past me, now where's my card.

Comment

I have to see Oranges again! I was quite young when it was last on TV. I do remember it being good and pretty hot. Quite wrenching as well. But that's about all I clearly remember. So that's one to check out.

Otherwise thanks Catwoman, plenty for me there. You are brilliant. How I have to look at getting that DVD player. You Americans are really lucky, I saw there were players going for around 30 dollars on Thanksgiving weekend shopping.

SF

Comment

Hi,

I dont know if a male voice here is out of place here? By definition I am a voyeur when it comes to lesbianism. I have no idea why they are so infinitely more interesting to me than b/g movies. I can only repeat that the GIL movie, towards the end when they look into each others eyes is the best I have seen in the genre, but I am not an expert. In a way its sort of a "dead-end" for a man to become interested in lesbian art. But personally, I have been denying that side of me for a long time. Not that I am proud of it, but seems to be hard to deny. Anyway, to see, and get close to two girls in love, is for me the ultimate. Even if I am forever banned from the Garden of Eden myself...

Rob

Comment

Hi Bobby

No way is a male voice out of place on this thread, its all inclusive. I'm sure we appreciate many of the same things about girls and the art of Sapphic Love as the lovely ladies Catwoman and Sara G. And there's no better place to come for recommendations than from the people in the know. Yes we cannot experience lesbian love for ourselves but I think two girls together in love, or even just strong lust, must be one of the additional wonders of the world.

I know what you mean about the Garden of Eden but hopefully we will get to party together somewhere else : with Abby, Jamie, Sara G, Catwoman, Viddude, Roops, Arsby, Mrs Roops, Angelus, TFL, Dafydd, Arsby, Ratty, Cass, Jus1drun and all the other great members here and some of the models too. I'm looking forward to a big orgy myself. Lots of jollyness, laughter, kinkyness and lesbianism at this party.

SF

Comment

PS Bobby I started another thread about what is good and not so good in lesbian vids of the type here at AW.com (more explicit), so I'd be interested in your ideas. This discussion here is kind of more about good mainstream/indie/foreign films and even I guess literature. I'm also interested in how it permeates into cultures and wider society, hence why I asked Catwoman aobut censorship, availability of these films in the US, etc.

It would also be good to know also what people like in terms of the more raunchy/steamy stuff, so check it out, I put my other thread in this section also!

SF

Comment

One male voice missing is my good friend ARDSFC, an authority on lesbian movie scenes.

There's a good one in a film Called "Strangers" staring Cherie Lungie, where she has her wicked way with a young French girl! Suit her sir!!

Comment

Nursefan, Are you refering to the TV show, "Strangers" or was there a movie with the same name? I enjoy Cherie Lungie and remember her fondly from an appearance on Midsommer Murders.

SF: Just curious, what do DVD players go for in the UK? (You are right about the $30 DVD players. I got my parents one so they can look at the movies that my sister's girls make for them. The DVD/VHS combo is going for about $90.)

Comment

Rob, I'm a het boy from the U.S. who watches plenty of lesbian films. Go Fish is one that stands out in my mind because of one particular scene in which Max (Is it Max? I forget if it's her or someone else) is confronted by a crowd of grrrls who are divided on whether she should have her lesbian license revoked because she slept with a boy. It's a powerful scene and resonates across cultures, preferences, races. It's the question of if you deviate from the norms of a group, do you still belong in that group, even if your deviation feels large in scope.

I don't know if you have to define yourself as a voyeur if you're attaching any negativity to it. For me, lesbian films are interesting for lots of reasons; you probably don't have to suffer through ridiculous one-liners spoken by buff brainless types, the issues are often more real and resonate with "a day in the life of anybody," etc. If they wrote better male/female dialogue, I'd be more interested in movies with male/female relationships. So much of the Hollywood junk leaves plenty to be desired though. I think the Brits out there have it much better. The BBC seems to do a much better job with made for T.V. programming. Essentially though, I prefer listening/watching/talking to women. I have close male friends but not nearly as many as female friends. So, maybe you just know that you have an appreciation for women that most men wouldn't have.

As far as sex or porn is concerned, if it turns me on, I don't care what it is. If it turns me off, I won't view it and it doesn't really matter who's doing what to whom. It's WHAT they're doing and how they are doing it that affects me.
                                                        My girlfriend and I will watch a porn video together and she's more curious about why the women are making the video. Somehow, if she likes the woman on the video, she gets turned on herself. The men in the videos if there are any, don't even enter her consciousness.

For me, seeing any couple in love is fun to watch but I do love the g/g sets here on AW or some of the scenes in movies mentioned above. Seeing people in love brings a smile to my face. The world seems so much better when people are laughing...
                                                        I think it should be okay for you to see two girls in love as the ultimate. It's interesting though. After all, it's a preference just like pretty much everything is a preference.

spinner

Comment

Originally posted by Sweatyfox
                                                          [B]I know what you mean about the Garden of Eden but hopefully we will get to party together somewhere else : with [et al]. I'm looking forward to a big orgy myself. Lots of jollyness, laughter, kinkyness and lesbianism at this party.

SF
                                                          well spoken SF. that'd be a great party.

spinner

Comment

One of the best ever videos of the younger/older theme and a schoolgirl's
                                                            awakening to love, which is of course the wonderful movie called "Bilitis" by David Hamilton

Another video of note is the "Berlin Affair" under the cross culture theme staring Gudrun Landgrebe and Mio Takaki. Very erotic scenes with Louise and Mitsuko and the kissing is passionate and sweet.

zee

Comment

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter

Sign up for the abby newsletter. Don't worry, we'll NEVER share your email address with anyone.
                                                            Working...
                                                            X