Nice pic of a good thing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice pic of a good thing

Scanned (by me) from a Dutch newspaper ('Volkskrant') article (this pic appeared in its Saturday extra magazine) about gay weddings in San Francisco. This is a Dutch couple in full splendor.

Image slightly cropped/redimensioned, and somewhat post-produced to counteract the darkish magazine print.

Gotta love this country
    Attached Files

Same couple, in San Francisco's townhall. Not sure why they went there in the first place. Gay marriages are entirely legal in The Netherlands.

Sweet, aren't they?

photography: Marie-José Jongerius
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Quartz; 22 March 2004, 12:58 AM. Reason: added credit

Comment

Originally posted by quartz
      Same couple, in San Francisco's townhall. Not sure why they went there in the first place. Gay marriages are entirely legal in The Netherlands.
      Probably the same reason straight couples get married away from home - even if you throw in costs for travel and accommodation for nearest and dearest, getting married abroad with a small wedding party is much cheaper than doing it at home where you have to put on a party for friends, family (down to third cousins twice removed), work colleagues, neighbours, etc etc etc.

I read recently the cost of the average wedding in the UK is £15,000 (that's AUS $37,000 and US $28, 000). Or was it £25,000?

Comment

I finally found some time to read the accompanying article. Both women are currently living in California. As the jackets suggest, they met as members of a motorbike club. One (the dark one) is a scholarship student (historical demographics) at Stanford (near Frisco), the other is a sociologist working in Silicon Valley. They wanted to be part of (and in some way, pay tribute to) this historic happening in US history (which has now been shot dead by the California Supreme Court). I will spare you the wry comments these highly opinionated women have on US society in general ..

Comment

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter

Sign up for the abby newsletter. Don't worry, we'll NEVER share your email address with anyone.
        Working...
        X