Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A time question

Hi,

I have a small problem and can't figure out where it is located.

In the User CP I've defined my time zone to Brussels and the result is I'm at GMT +2 cos we actually have DST. It works well, at the office, at home I'm also in the Brussels time zone on my machine, but I get GMT +1 on AW site.

Both machines are configured in a similar way. Does anyone have an idea?

lxm

The only suggestion I can make: you can tell the board to detect your DST settings. I guess it's a Javascript thing making a system call to your PC to see if you have DST settings in place. Do you have your PC at home set to automatically adjust your system clock for DST changes in the Date and Time settings? Or do you have something in place to control or even stop Javascript at home (like I have, using a software firewall to control stuff like Javascript, Java applets, ActiveX, VBscript, cookies, &c)?

Comment

Maybe there's a problem. My computer at home is configured the same way (automatic DST change), but it's running an older OS and it could be that the Java machine there doesn't support that call. I'll try to force the boards to DST, could help.

Thanks Quartz.

lxm

Comment

I'm becoming envious for that big Q.

lxm

Comment

You want a capital L? And a capital M? Just ask.

Comment

Vid Dude, you're a brick! Yes please.
            I'm not sure if I should take both in capitals, I think the L alone is ok.

lxm
            Last edited by Luxman; 2 September 2004, 08:23 AM.

Comment

I'm a what? *checks spelling* Oh, okay.

Done

Comment

Originally posted by Vid Dude
                I'm a what? *checks spelling* Oh, okay.
                Something wrong with brick? I've got it from my dictionary and it should mean something like great guy.

Anyway, thanks for the "L".

Lxm

Comment

I think Vid Dude wants to be referred to as Brick, not brick. He's probably case-sensitive.

By the way: I have no idea what a brick is other than something to build your house with or throw at cops. I have heard guys referred to as being a rock, but not under these circumstances.

I did find that brick in an English-Dutch dictionary from 1969 (where it is described as 'a good guy (gal)'), so it may have been a very time-limited expression.

If someone would call me a brick today, I would probably start looking for gay of faecal connotations. And then a hammer. But then again, I'm probably just a prick.
                  Last edited by Quartz; 2 September 2004, 05:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Quartz
                    I have no idea what a brick is other than something to build your house...
                    According to here it's what Germans call a "Prachtkerl" or "Pfundskerl", so a very nice guy.

I think we shouldn't throw Vid Dude at cops.

Lxm

Comment

Originally posted by Luxman
                      I think we shouldn't throw Vid Dude at cops.Lxm
                      You may find that easier than to flush him.

Comment

Oh, I forgot, now that I've forced the boards to DST the time is correct.
                        Seems to be the Java machine incompatibility of my old OS.

Lxm

Comment

You're a brick.

Comment

Thanks, I return the compliment (as far as you don't want to throw me at cops).

Lxm

Comment

I've found a better translation of "Prachtkerl": splendid fellow or capital fellow.

Know what I mean, Vid Dude?

Lxm

Comment

Vid Dude is the Capital fellow, that's for sure.

Comment

I've found a better translation of "Prachtkerl": splendid fellow or capital fellow.

Know what I mean, Vid Dude?

Lxm
                                  Sometimes "Leo dic" is to "fool" us non native speakers here. Prachtkerl gets a few more translations there.

I put the rule on the test: Vid Dude you'd be a bawcock if you elevate me up to Yealith. (put on my helmet, just in case)

Comment

Okay, here's the joke I was trying to make:

If you call me a brick, I will accept it with much humility. If you call me a *prick* I'll kick you in the nuts.

I was trying to be amusing, but I think we got stuck at cross-cultural borders somewhere.

Comment

(I'll just pretend I was never here stirring up international conflicts with a diabolic grin on my face - back to the Republican Convention, where I'll blend in very nicely)

Comment

I'll kick you in the nuts.
                                        Oh dear, this is likely to cause a whole new round of dictionary-based cultural differences

I'll be watching as it unfolds.

Comment

I was trying to be amusing, but I think we got stuck at cross-cultural borders somewhere.
                                          Sorry to have blown up your joke. A typical case of "lost in translaton".

Anyway, you're a brick with a big B, ok?

Lxm

P.S. So brick is a usual term if I understand well.
                                          Last edited by Luxman; 2 September 2004, 10:44 PM.

Comment

Seems to be the Java machine incompatibility of my old OS.
                                            As a Java geek for a living, I feel overwhelmingly compelled to point out that the technology to which you are referring is that of Javascript, an interpreted scripting language mostly used in web pages, which is decidedly different from that of Java, a full fledged compiled programming language, which although also originally gained popularity for it's use in writing Applets being embedded within web pages, has since grown far beyond that use. Incidentally, Javascript, invented by Netscape, was originally named Livescript, but later renamed to cash in on the early popularity of Java.

And for exposing me as such a geek, you are all a bunch of nurple's

Comment

BRICKISM

Tricky Nick is far too slick,
                                              for poor old Rick,
                                              who's slightly hick
                                              and faintly thick.
                                              Nick's not a brick.

But good old Dick
                                              will always stick,
                                              and help right quick
                                              if Mick falls sick,
                                              when even Vic
                                              gets on his wick,
                                              he'll still get help
                                              from good old Dick.
                                              Dick's a brick.

But what's a nurple.?
                                              Last edited by calliope; 3 September 2004, 10:19 AM.

Comment

-- CROW --- I´m grown up now

Comment

I'm not.

Comment

Okay, here's the joke I was trying to make:

If you call me a brick, I will accept it with much humility. If you call me a *prick* I'll kick you in the nuts.

Here in Canada, policemen refer to themselves as "members". I would hesitate to refer to one as a member, bearing in mind that in another context "member" is a synonym for "prick", and prick [in another context] is another name for a "jerk".
                                                    Ain't English wonderful?
                                                    g

Comment

Originally posted by adamsgcan
                                                      Here in Canada, policemen refer to themselves as "members"
                                                      Members of what? The Brotherhood? In The Netherlands, the police are sometimes referred to as 'Hermandad', which is the Spanish word for Brotherhood. People throw bricks at them from time to time.

By the way, the same applies in Dutch. The Dutch word for member is lid, which is also another (but quite neutral) word for a dick. So, the question are you a member? gets about the same response when asked in Dutch .. I don't think Mitglied will lead to any problems

Comment

Quick note to the ESOL people, "brick" was probably last used as a complimentary term in the 1960s, "capital fellow" sometime in the 1930s! No one's likely to be offended by the terms now (though Americans may be bemused as both phrases are very English) but they're both a little antiquated - and also sound rather U (i.e. upper class) - which is itself an outdated term....

I'd suggest the current UK phraseology would be 'You're a star' though very macho men might want to avoid this as it has a whiff of camp about it.

When speaking of a third party 'great bloke' might be a tolerable translation of 'Prachtskerl' and should work in Aussie as well as Brit (though Americans may be bemused again), but the phrase 'You're a great bloke," doesn't work as the only time one would say this to another man would be at the end of a drunken evening, shortly to be followed by "Y' know, right...no, no, listen to me right, you're my best mate... I fuckin' love you, right...." (etc.).

(I keep coming here to look at naked girls and end up discussing sociolinguistics )

Comment

Originally posted by pjay
                                                          'You're a star'
                                                          This can also be taken as an omen that one is about to be asked to leg it to some property 'hotspot',to purchase a dwelling for one of Cherie Blair's children.

Comment

Originally posted by Quartz
                                                            Members of what?
                                                            They used to be called "officers" [of the law?], but most of them aren't even sargeants. I expect that "members" [of the police force] is an effort to be Correct. The police don't look for a "man" anymore, they look for a "male person".
                                                            There may also be a labour/management issue. The unionized policemen on one side, the chief etc on the other side.
                                                            g

Comment

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter

Sign up for the abby newsletter. Don't worry, we'll NEVER share your email address with anyone.
                                                            Working...
                                                            X