Star Wars!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Star Wars!

Today is a record-setting Tuesday for me. First, the conclusion of the wonderful Maggie set, then the addition of a new shower girls video, and now the original Star Wars trilogy!

Although some are critical of the changes to the movies, I fondly remember seeing Star Wars when I was ten years old back in 1977. As I type this, the opening text just crawled up the screen and a star destroyer is streaking by in one of the best movie openings ever!

I'm off to watch movies for a while, woohoo!

I've got bootlegs of all three on DVD (from laserdisc) including the infamous christmas special. That is a sight to behold.

Timbit

Comment

I got them yesterday, and watched the documentary and part of A New Hope. I must say I don't think the Jabba or Greedo scene is particularly well handled, they seem to cancel each other out in redundant repetition, and the effects that have been added and updated are a bit offputting.

Otherwise I like them a lot - sharp images, bright colours, surround sound, they've never really looked better!

Comment

The christmas star wars special is truly cringe-worthy, yet the boba fett intro is worth it.
        Be interesting to see if there is a common liking for these classic movies among the members.
        If so, abby better break out the leia outfit for one of her future models.
        how about a survey on favourite movies, music etc... might be interesting.

keep up the good work and may the forc....... ah never mind

cheers,
        macalister

Comment

Originally posted by macalister
          Be interesting to see if there is a common liking for these classic movies among the members.
          I love these movies and I love SF (no sweatyfox, not you this time).

I've seen Star Wars at the original release. I was 14 then and I was impressed by this movie, and I fell in love with Leia, as everybody did at that time. I’ve ordered my DVD set in April and I’m happy that I got it on the official release date. I don’t have the time to watch it, but it’s important for me to own it.

I can't remember when I started liking science fiction, but I remember pretty well the original Star Trek series with Kirk, Spock, Bones, Zulu, Chekov, Scotty and Uhura in her sexy dress. Pretty exciting for the mid sixties. I was 8 or 9 then (and in love with Uhura).

Does anyone know the movie “Silent Running” with Bruce Dern from 1972? It’s a great movie, not as spectacular as Star Wars but for me one of the best SF movies ever made (maybe the best).

Does anyone remember “Wargames” or “Colossus”, SF movies based on mad computers (not yet Windows but mad anyway). Or the big classic "2001 - A Space Odyssey". Mad computer too. Did you know that the name of the computer HAL was a parody of IBM? (I-1=H, B-1=A, M-1=L).

What I like pretty much too are subtle horror movies in the style of “The Omen” and my all time favourite is “Indiana Jones” (stop laughing please).

I love movies !

Lxm
          Last edited by Luxman; 22 September 2004, 09:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vid Dude
            I got them yesterday, and watched the documentary and part of A New Hope. I must say I don't think the Jabba or Greedo scene is particularly well handled, they seem to cancel each other out in redundant repetition, and the effects that have been added and updated are a bit offputting.

Otherwise I like them a lot - sharp images, bright colours, surround sound, they've never really looked better!
            I agree about both the Jabba and Greedo scenes. I think Jabba ended up being a nearly unnecessary part of the story line, especially his appearance in A New Hope. I never understood why the Greedo scene was changed. I think Han shooting first established him as a "scoundrel" and made his change of heart in the movies a little more pronounced. The effects used to make him dodge Greedo's laser blast were nearly laughable, even in the 2004 DVD release.

I think the restoration of A New Hope is amazing. The detail and the color saturation is fantastic. Adding surround effects to the soundtrack was great, but the dialog sounds a little thin compared to the dynamic music.

I also watched the documentary, and compared to the movies of the era, A New Hope was a groundbreaking movie in terms of visual effects.

I'm watching my favorite right now, The Empire Strikes Back is about as good as a movie gets.

-Smith

Comment

hey luxman,
              yeah silent running was a favourite of mine way back ,,, ... I secretly believe that the original R2D2 idea came from this movie, ...
              Your choice of movies pretty much matches exactly my favourites, .. except for omen .. too creepy for me .....
              By the way, silent running is available here as a cheap dvd from target... do you have a target in Luxembourg?
              It's a chain store here. $20 and I don't have to watch it anymore late at night on bad programming outa ratings periods.
              cool.

Just saw bourne supremacy today, .... still dizzy from all that hand held camera work .. can't they afford a decent tripod????
              First one was heaps better, but great movie all the same.
              Will probably see it again soon, but will be ready fro the dizziness.
              Take care,
              macalister

Comment

I LOVE Sci-Fi

Do yall Like stargate SG-1?? I love Col. Samantha Carter!!!

and the outer Limits, and andromada, and farscape, and What else??

yall's thoughts

Thanks

Comment

Guys in Oz on the Star Wars trilogy DVDs....EzyDVD published on their this set is being deleted at Xmas - so don't hold out for long if you want it.

On things people like here, shocked no one has mentioned Doctor Who, Blakes 7 or Red Dwarf!

There's got to be some fans of cheap props and bad chromakey out there!

I-AM-A-QUEER-DA-LEK-YOU WILL-BE-EX-FOL-I-ATE-ED!

Comment

Originally posted by macalister
                    By the way, silent running is available here as a cheap dvd from target... do you have a target in Luxembourg?
                    Hi Mac,

We don't have Target here, but I'm happy that I own the DVD of Silent Running already. I found it at Amazon (.de) at a very cheap price, I think it was 15 EUR, so slightly below $20.

Lxm

Comment

Originally posted by Tobias Vaughan
                      On things people like here, shocked no one has mentioned Doctor Who, Blakes 7 or Red Dwarf
                      If you search the depths of the test posts forum here you will find some Dr Who related posts.

Oh, and also see Mae's video...

Comment

Yeah I saw the pinball machine in Mae's video.

I used to play that many years ago when it used to be in pubs and other places.

It'll be interesting next year when the Doctor is back, you know, to see what it's like in the 21st century.

Comment

Originally posted by Tobias Vaughan
                          It'll be interesting next year when the Doctor is back, you know, to see what it's like in the 21st century.
                          Christopher Eccleston - interesting (arguably 'brave') casting. OTOH, Billie Piper as the companion.... hmmmm, I remain to be convinced...

Comment

I just finished watching that Star Wars DVD pack and its good. I agree with Jabba the Hut and Greedo scene. If I was George Lucas, I would of took the risk and release the whole 'New Hope' movie back then, including the Jabba the scene.
                            I know the original Jabba the Hutt was a human and it will have a different out come in Return of the Jedia. Or in one movie they had Jabba the Hutt human and at the other a grub, George would of say 'he had some sort of deases and turn him into a grub'. All in all its good set of movies.

As for Carrie Fisher, she is a spunk in those movies. I wonder she was wearing anything in that costume in New Hope?

GCG71

Comment

Originally posted by Luxman
                              I don’t have the time to watch it, but it’s important for me to own it.
                              That sounds like me. I bought it a couple of weeks ago while on holidays, but am too busy catching up on the AW news & content to even think about watching it at the moment. Being a fan, however, I had to own it!!

Tank
                              "The wall was high and I fell asleep"

Comment

I have an interesting info, at least for all the Mac users here.

The cleaning & renovation of the 3 Star Wars movies was done entirely on Macs.
                                It took 3 month working time, 600 Power Mac G5 with 4 GB RAM each & a 378 TB storage array.

You'll find more info here. There's also a 360° QuickTime VR image of the installation.

Lxm

Comment

Wow... the images at this site have always been great but that VR panorama... I'm speechless

Thanks for the heads up Luxman

How would one of Abby's models look as the subject of a QTVR Object movie?

Comment

Originally posted by yarnie
                                    Thanks for the heads up Luxman
                                    It was a pleasure for me.

Originally posted by yarnie
                                    How would one of Abby's models look as the subject of a QTVR Object movie?
                                    That could be a very nice thing. A girl where you can move around and zoom in.
                                    A great idea.

Lxm

Comment

Hey Luxman, Ta for that. I showed this to my boy (age 7) who is

1/ an avid "Star Wars" fan
                                      2/ a maths prodigy (his school now gives him maths work for ten year olds) and
                                      3/ is turning out to be a computer geek.

He was verrry impressed with the 360° picture AND with row upon row of computers!!!

Now then, all you boffins out there as Rooplet asked me a question that Hubby or I could not answer and I must admit I kinda wondered myself. Why have 600 small computers with all the problems of wiring and co-ordination? Surely it would have been easier to have one large computer like a Mini/Mainframe? Or is this a dumb question?

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs Roops
                                        Now then, all you boffins out there as Rooplet asked me a question that Hubby or I could not answer and I must admit I kinda wondered myself. Why have 600 small computers with all the problems of wiring and co-ordination? Surely it would have been easier to have one large computer like a Mini/Mainframe? Or is this a dumb question?
                                        I'm not certain, but my best guess is it makes it easier for expansion. You start out with a few computers, and then you just keep adding more and more, until it's enormous. Also, if one dies, it's easier to replace than having to shut down an entire system.

I don't think people use large mainframes anymore. All the tickertape and punchcards just litter the floor, and what the whirring of the big reel-to-reel tapes, the chuckity-chuck noises, and the randomly blinking lights, it all just causes a throbbing headache.

Comment

When I was installing a few servers at the Amsterdam Internet Exchange a few years ago, I tried to dispose of an empty coffee cup by throwing it into what appeared to be a dull-grey garbage bin tucked away in a corner. It turned out to be a Cray supercomputer that dwarfed the 1000+ servers in all the cabinets around me when it comes to computing power (and lack of noise). I think it had one light on it.

Anyway, you are right about the modular and expandable nature of 600 networked computers, of course. Just like the Seti-At-Home project utilizing the spare CPU cycles on millions and millions of home computers working together to crunch the endless stream of data generated by large radio telescopes trying to pick up the signal of ET phoning home to Steven Spielberg. The more the merrier.

Comment

Hi Mrs. Roops,

I posted the link cos I was very impressed too by this installation, and I'm not impressed very quick cos I'm in the business.

He was verrry impressed with the 360° picture AND with row upon row of computers!!!
                                            I think those QT VR panorama pictures are great. Have you tried to drag upwards or downwards? Just have a try, it's funny to look at the ceiling.

Why have 600 small computers with all the problems of wiring and co-ordination? Surely it would have been easier to have one large computer like a Mini/Mainframe? Or is this a dumb question?
                                            There are several aspects to consider. The wiring is an issue for sure, but don't forget, the cabinets of a mainframe have to be wired too, and that wiring is much more complex and vulnerable than simply plug in one mains & one Ethernet cable.

The advantage is in fact a simple possibility to extend the system. And if there's a problem on one of the machines, a replacement is also very simple to do. They use a soft that distributes the workload to all the machines in the system. Considering that every machine has 2 processors, you have in this case 1200 processors at work.

Another interesting project is the Virginia Tech Supercomputer, based on 1100 Dual Processor G5 Macs. The idea was to create a supercomputer based on consumer machines. The final result was a computer that had a 10.28 teraflop/s processing speed and ranked at the 3rd place of the worlds fastest computers, and that at a very low cost ($5.2 million, compared to number 2 on the list with 13.88 teraflop/s at $215 million). The link leads to an interesting and detailed report, including a video describing the whole project. Just have a look, I can assure you it's worth the download of the video.

BTW: There are no dumb questions, there are only dumb answers.

Lxm
                                            Last edited by Luxman; 15 October 2004, 06:20 AM.

Comment

Doesn't Google use a vast array of small computers? It worked for them!
                                              g

Comment

Every large Internet service uses a server farm nowadays. Even small ISPs use at least two or more servers in a cluster for about everything ranging from mail, news, WWW, to NFS, backup and storage. It's all about redundancy (fail-over), resiliency (fail-safe) and geographic diversity (servers in at least two different areas and networks - which proved to be a blessing when 9/11 caused a prolonged power outage on 25 Broadway and the NYIIX, taking a few of our core servers offline for a couple of days).

Comment

Originally posted by Quartz
                                                  When I was installing a few servers at the Amsterdam Internet Exchange a few years ago,....
                                                  Hey Quartz, what's with your statement about visiting Amsterdam?
                                                  Did somebody force you to do that? Maybe with money?

Lxm

Comment

With money ... (that's what a job is, right?) ... and there was nobody else who could do it right then. I suffer for my art.

Comment

Hey, thanks for the gen!! My boy will think Mum's a genius!! Mucho respect when I spout all this in front of his mates!!!!

Comment

Here's a detailed review/comparison of the changes in all 3 versions.
                                                        Starts with Star Wars and will move on to the other films soon.
                                                        The pictures makes this one of the best and most interesting comparisons I've read.

Comment

Originally posted by glennm
                                                          Here's a detailed review/comparison of the changes in all 3 versions.
                                                          Starts with Star Wars and will move on to the other films soon.
                                                          The pictures makes this one of the best and most interesting comparisons I've read.
                                                          A very intersting link. It's impressive to see the improvements brought by the Lowry restoration.

Thanks.

Lxm

Comment

Originally posted by Vid Dude
                                                            I don't think people use large mainframes anymore. All the tickertape and punchcards just litter the floor, and what the whirring of the big reel-to-reel tapes, the chuckity-chuck noises, and the randomly blinking lights, it all just causes a throbbing headache.
                                                            Also, as all the Sci-Fi fans posting in this thread will be aware, large mainframes with reel-to-reel tapes have a chronic tendency to develop consciousness and set out to take over the world

Comment

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter

Sign up for the abby newsletter. Don't worry, we'll NEVER share your email address with anyone.
                                                            Working...
                                                            X