X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Languages and stuff about Summer

Originally posted by bigspud
    ASSUME = ASS U ME
    English is a fantastic language, not the only one (remember Mr. Roops ) but fantastic.

Lxm

Originally posted by Luxman
    English is a fantastic language, not the only one (remember Mr. Roops ) but fantastic.Lxm
    Don't you start; I was in enough shit from wifey on that one. (English is not her first lanquage)

Comment

But your command of the language is most impressive Roops.I must learn not to question it.Apologies for having done so.

Comment

Originally posted by calliope
        But your command of the language is most impressive Roops.I must learn not to question it.Apologies for having done so.
        *Roops chokes on a mouthful of finest Dundee Cake* Eh ? I am to English language and grammar as is the A1 is to hedgehog preservation, but thank you anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Roops
          (English is not her first lanquage)
          Yeah, but Welsh isn't a real language. It's just an explosion in the consonant factory.

Comment

Still, there are deg mantais i'ch plentyn o fod yn ddwyieithog. Of, course, this only applies os ydych chi’n ystyried addysg cyfrwng Cymraeg neu ddwyieithog i’ch plentyn. Roops, I wonder, ydych chi’n siarad neu’n deall Cymraeg, fel iaith gyntaf neu’n ail iaith, neu wedi dysgu Cymraeg?

Comment

I just finished wiping my crt, thank you.

Comment

Quartz, I am hard pressed in thinking of ten advantages for of our children being bilingualy Welsh and English. Please understand if I do not address the middle part of your post as this deals with our children's education which we do not wish to divulge. As to the last part, Welsh is neither my first or second language and yes I have learnt enough to get by.

BTW, Mrs Roops says your Welsh Grammar is spot on - is there no end to your talents?

Comment

Originally posted by Roops
                  (English is not her first lanquage)
                  We are still waiting for you to tell us WHAT is her other language. I guessed Spanish, you said NO, so which language is it?

Lxm

Comment

Luxman, I think there's a clue in the above posts!

Roops & Quartz - there are certainly advantages to being bilingual in any two languages, but I'm intrigued by Quartz's suggestion that there are specifically ten advantages.

Obligatory keeping the thread on topic bit - Summer, phwooar

Comment

Oh, come on, aren't these advantages obvious?

1. Cyfathrebu gyda’r teulu cyfan a’r gymuned
                      2. Dwywaith mwynhad darllen a sgrifennu
                      3. Gallu mwynhau dau ddiwylliant
                      4. Goddefgarwch tuag at ieithoedd a diwylliannau eraill
                      5. Manteision meddyliol
                      6. Codi hunan barch
                      7. Sicrwydd mewn hunaniaeth
                      8. Gwell canlyniadau yn y cwricwlwm
                      9. Haws dysgu trydedd iaith
                      10. Manteision cyflogaeth

I think I'll stop cutting and pasting stuff from the conveniently bilingual [url="http://%3Ca%20href="]]Bwrdd yr Iaith Gymraeg now Maybe there's no end to what I can dig up with Google ...

Comment

Originally posted by Quartz
                        Maybe there's no end to what I can dig up with Google ...
                        I would say there IS no end, surely.

Originally posted by pjay
                        Luxman, I think there's a clue in the above posts!
                        Ok, it's Welsh and it's obvious but I didn't realise it. Silly me!

Originally posted by Vid Dude
                        Yeah, but Welsh isn't a real language. It's just an explosion in the consonant factory.
                        To be honest, Welsh is in my eyes a very strange and weird special and interesting language and I'm asking myself who the hell can speak and understand that would I ever be able to learn it?
                        Are you sure that it's a language and not a random character output by a crashed computer (an error message of Windows for example)?
                        Does it make sense what they write?

It's a language where I don't understand any word.

Lxm

BTW: Summer is great!
                        Last edited by Luxman; 13 November 2004, 10:15 AM.

Comment

It's a language where I don't understand any word.
                          Sure you do: cwricwlwm isn't that hard!

On Topic: there is no Summer anywhere on this planet right now.

Comment

On Topic: there is no Summer anywhere on this planet right now.
                            Don't you believe it. Swimming at 8pm.

Comment

Sure you do: cwricwlwm isn't that hard!
                              Oh, I understand, it's not a language, it's an encryption method. You simply swap the ASCII codes of some characters in the word and you get Welsh.

At's i tracku lingyige.

Hey, I got it.

Lxm

Oh,...ehm,... yeah, Summer.

Comment

Originally posted by Vid Dude
                                Ah, it might appear that way but Welsh has two extra vowels in its alphabet than English has. They are W & Y.

I guess I should have dealt with this thread last night, except I had just been fucked senseless and whilst Roops was up and about afterwards (after a respectable period of “cuddle time” ‘cos girls like that after a fuck) I was lying in bed feeling nice and snug from post coital stupor from which I did not want to leave.

Hmmmmm, too much information I guess, but what the hell, Huh ??

Wela i chi eto!!!!!!!! (Hey, that’s more vowels than consonants, hmmmm freaky!!!)

Comment

Originally posted by Bob
                                  Don't you believe it. Swimming at 8pm.
                                  I admit that it looks nice, but EarthWatch is adamant about there not being Summer on this planet.
                                  Attached Files

Comment

I admit that it looks nice, but EarthWatch is adamant about there not being Summer on this planet.
                                    Quartz, I know you're a techie, but do you really believe some remote international corporate software before the personal report of a marketing man who is out in the field with a mild case of sunburn?

[This is a minor personal challenge; your reply should be related, non obvious and get this thread back on track ...]

Comment

Yes, I do believe you are trying to sell me Summer.

[this was a minor personal rebuttal, which is obviously related, and therefore threadsafe]

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs Roops
                                        Hmmmmm, too much information I guess, but what the hell, Huh ??
                                        Not at all, Mrs R, it adds to your charm. I've always had a soft (?) spot for your language. Doubtless as a souvenier of some long-forgotten child-hood visit I have in my possession a platform ticket for Llanfairpwllgogerychrwyndrobwllllantisiliogogogoch (sp?). It became a minor party trick of mine to reel off the spelling or pronounciation of this, secure in the knowledge that any minor errors would go un-noticed. Then I met a woman with a bigger one than mine - Tamateawhakatangihangakawawatamakepokiwhenuakitena tahu (sp?). Well it was lust at first sight.

So, to think of you lying there is a warm and slightly damp glow is most envigorating.

Comment

Yes, I do believe you are trying to sell me Summer.
                                          3 points, sir!

Comment

I believe it's spelled, Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateapokaiwhenuakit anatahu (from memory), and that's just the short version. I can also pronounce it correctly.

Comment

Apparently, this is the Thai name for Bangkok:

Krungthepmahanakonbowornratanakosinmahintarayudyay amahadiloponoparatanarajthaniburiromudomrajniwesma hasatarnamornpimarnavatarsatitsakattiyavisanukamph rasit

(The city of angels, the great city, the residence of the Emerald Buddha, the impregnable city (of Ayutthaya) of God Indra, the grand capital of the world endowed with nine precious gems, the happy city, abounding in an enormous Royal Palace that resembles the heavenly abode where reigns the reincarnated god, a city given by Indra and built by Vishnukarn)

So, don't ask for directions, bring the map.
                                              Attached Files
                                              Last edited by Quartz; 14 November 2004, 12:24 AM.

Comment

Ok, a bit shorter but I have the proof.

Lxm

BTW: We're farer & farer from the topic of the thread.
                                                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Bob
                                                  ....as a souvenier of some long-forgotten child-hood visit I have in my possession a platform ticket for Llanfairpwllgogerychrwyndrobwllllantisiliogogogoch (sp?)
                                                  The railway station is situated at Anglesey, North Wales.The correct spelling is Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysilio gogogoch which when translated means 'St Mary's church in the hollow of the white hazel near a rapid whirlpool and the church of St Tysilio of the red cave'. The locals just call it Llanfair P G.

Comment

To be honest, Welsh is in my eyes a very strange and weird special and interesting language and I'm asking myself who the hell can speak and understand that would I ever be able to learn it?
                                                    And yet it has more speakers than Letzeburgesch

If you were a speaker of a non-European language which was written in a non-Roman script and had minimal 'loan' vocabulary from Latin or English - for example a Chinese speaker - you would probably find Welsh at least as easy to learn as English.

Comment

Stop it! I am this close to digging up that video of John Redwood 'singing' the Welsh national anthem.

Comment

Originally posted by pjay
                                                        And yet it has more speakers than Letzeburgesch
                                                        I know, Lëtzeburgesch is pretty rare, I think there are around 300000 native speakers and around 50 people who really know how to write it.

Every foreign language that is not based on Latin or Germanic roots is pretty special to others. Have a look at Suomi, Estonian, Latvian or Lithuanian.

What I've learned from Mrs. Roops & Quartz is that there are consonants used as vowels, and that changes everything. Otherwise you need a special mouth to pronounce it. Can anyone tell me how to pronounce Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysilio gogogoch?

To come back to the topic: What's the Welsh word for Summer?

Lxm

BTW: The Luxemburgish word for Summer is "Summer", we just prononce the "u" as "oo".

P.S. We're still waiting for the 617 Dutch words for rain.

Comment

Stop it! I am this close to digging up that video of John Redwood 'singing' the Welsh national anthem.
                                                          I really expected Mrs Roops to jump on this ... for anyone else: why this is funny.
                                                          Attached Files
                                                          Last edited by Quartz; 14 November 2004, 03:11 PM.

Comment

Summertime

What is this summer of which you speak? I don't think we get it in England.

Comment

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter

Sign up for the abby newsletter. Don't worry, we'll NEVER share your email address with anyone.
                                                            Working...
                                                            X