Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

File naming conventions

Hello,

The AW site offers us many opportunities to ‘catch up’ with certain models. I think that this is wonderful; however, I am not fond of the file names for the updates. I might store several hundred zipped files within a single directory/folder and I find myself sorting through the files only to discover that some of the sets require modification. For example the file “r_robin.zip” is separated by many other files before I reach the files “robin_imgset615.zip”, “robin_imgset616.zip”, and “robin_imgset743.zip”. The prefix “r_” makes sense from your server side of things but it is easily lost once it reaches the client machine. Is it practical to think that you would place it as a suffix rather than as a prefix? To me, “robin_r1.zip” or even, “robin4.zip” better follows your new identification system. (By the way, I DO like your latest naming conventions for the sets and .mpg files! They are simple and easy to understand.) This is only a minor inconvenience for a single user but I would expect that I am not the only user who changes the names of the files to keep all of the work of a single model in the same place.

Thank You

Hi Numlock,

There was a discussion about filenames in this thread, could be interesting to have a look at.

I don't store the zip files. I store the unpacked images in in a folder per model and subfolders if there are several sets (see the post in the other thread).

With the folders I get the sorting order I need, and to manage it I have a database in Excel with a lot of useful sort & find functions (see here).

Lxm

Comment

Originally posted by Luxman
      Hi Numlock,

There was a discussion about filenames in this thread, could be interesting to have a look at.

I don't store the zip files. I store the unpacked images in in a folder per model and subfolders if there are several sets (see the post in the other thread).

With the folders I get the sorting order I need, and to manage it I have a database in Excel with a lot of useful sort & find functions (see here).

Lxm
      Thank you Luxman. I must admit that I have not yet read all of the threads. There are so many facets to the AW site that I choose to read posts and their threads based on their category/posting base. I probably miss out on more than I should because I expect 'technical information' to be located in one spot and 'model specific information' to be located in another. I will try to find a few extra minutes every now and then to catch up with the many posts that are scattered throughout the various posting bases.

On a not-so-related note, are you aware of a Windows Compliant software package that allows for batch renaming of individual files? As you said, you unzip the files and place them in individual directories. Many of the older files have the same filenames with different content. A utility to change this in batch format would help out greatly for those who want to do as you do.

Thank You

Comment

Originally posted by Numlock
        I probably miss out on more than I should because I expect 'technical information' to be located in one spot and 'model specific information' to be located in another.
        I try, oh how I try, to keep things in the places they should logically be, but these guys constantly confound me with their off-topicness and tendency to come up with subjects that refuse to fit in our pre-existing niches. They make my job so difficult sometimes.

Originally posted by Numlock
        On a not-so-related note, are you aware of a Windows Compliant software package that allows for batch renaming of individual files?
        Try this as it's what we use to rename our files. I'm not sure how extensive it is or if it will really suit your needs, but it's pretty funky. And it's free!

Comment

Originally posted by Vid Dude
          I try, oh how I try, to keep things in the places they should logically be, but these guys constantly confound me with their off-topicness and tendency to come up with subjects that refuse to fit in our pre-existing niches. They make my job so difficult sometimes.
          I run several boards of my own. Just pruning and grafting the off-topic posts can be a full time job of all by itself.

Originally posted by Vid Dude
          Try this as it's what we use to rename our files. I'm not sure how extensive it is or if it will really suit your needs, but it's pretty funky. And it's free!
          THIS is an incredible utility! Thank you very much for the link! I love the fact that there are no nag boxes anywhere in the software and that the shareware principle is applied as a small PayPal link at the bottom of the screen only on the web page itself.

Now I feel the need to review more of the AW forum areas to see if I missed any other gems like this.

Many Thanks!

Comment

Yah, BRU is great, it's so damn powerful! We only use 1/10th of it's capabilities, but that's ok. If you're interested in other software (and hardware, for that matter, cameras, computers, etc) we use, check out this page:

a

Comment

Originally posted by Abby
              Yah, BRU is great, it's so damn powerful! We only use 1/10th of it's capabilities, but that's ok. If you're interested in other software (and hardware, for that matter, cameras, computers, etc) we use, check out this page:

a
              Thank you for the link. I guess that I overlooked the single file from that page that I didn't already have. It is an impressive piece of software though and one that I would strongly recommend that anyone take full advantage of. It made short work if an otherwise tedious job.

Numlock

Comment

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter

Sign up for the abby newsletter. Don't worry, we'll NEVER share your email address with anyone.
              Working...
              X