The death of Mr C Sense

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The death of Mr C Sense

Today we mourn the passing of a beloved old friend, Mr. Common Sense. Mr Sense had been with us for many years.

No one knows for sure hold old he was since his birth records were long ago lost in bureaucratic red tape. He will be remembered as having cultivated such value lessons as knowing when to come in out of the rain, why the early bird gets the worm and that life isn't always fair.

Common Sense lived by simple, sound financial policies (don't spend more than you earn) and reliable parenting strategies (adults, not kids, are in charge).

His health began to rapidly deteriorate when well intentioned but overbearing regulation were set in place. Reports of a six-year-old boy charged with sexual harassment for kissing a classmate; teens suspended from school for using mouthwash after lunch; and a teacher fired for reprimanding an unruly student, only worsened his condition.

Mr Sense declined even further when schools were required to get parental consent to administer aspirin to a student; but, could not informed the parents when a students became pregnant and wanted to have an abortion.

Finally, Common Sense lost the will to live as the Ten Commandments become contraband; churches became businesses (I have lost faith of the church because that GCG71); and criminals received treatment than their victims.

Common Sense finally gave up the ghost after a woman failed to realize that a steaming cup of coffee was hot, she spilled a bit in her lap, and was awarded a huge settlement.

Common Sense was preceded in death by his parents, Truth and Trust, his wife, Discretion; his daughter, Responsibility; and his son Reason. He is survived by two stepbrothers; My Rights and Ima Whiner.

Not many attended his funeral because so few realized he was gone. If you still remember, pass this on or comment to this; if not, join the majority and do nothing.

This was sent to me to my email address last week and I agree with this and I don't care what others say.

From
    GCG71'living in the sunniest state in Australia.'

Originally posted by Gerza71
    Common Sense finally gave up the ghost after a woman failed to realize that a steaming cup of coffee was hot, she spilled a bit in her lap, and was awarded a huge settlement.
    You're kidding! That recently?!

Common Sense is an ideal. No human being can meet an ideal from womb to tomb, so Common Sense itself (the honorific "Mister", by the way, creates a paradox) points out the futility in expecting all of humankind to do so.

Where have the Ten Commandments become contraband? Is this some Australian thing that never got attention over here? In the States, we have a bugger of a time enough just keeping them away from where they have no business being; I'd be fascinated to learn how y'all got them declared actually contraband.

I've read the book Common Sense, by the way — it is a work of incendiary propaganda, and intended to be so.
    Makes a really good metaphor, if you think about it.
    Last edited by Dafydd; 7 February 2005, 12:07 PM.

Comment

PS Whoever started that chain letter really, really needed a proofreader.

Comment

There are dozens of different versions. On Usenet, it dates back as far as April 2001. The only attribution I have found was to someone named Guy Zapoleon (http://jmm.aaa.net.au/articles/933.htm), who appears to be a radio programming consultant and media strategist (http://www.zapoleon.com/zms/) writing obtuse prose. Inherently evil.
        Last edited by Quartz; 7 February 2005, 05:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gerza71
          Common Sense was lacking on the part of the McD management who had been warned several times before that their coffee was too hot. Not just too hot but near boiling.

While it was not the best of sense for her to put the cup between her legs, if the coffee had been at drinkable temperature she would not have suffered 2nd degree burns.

Sometimes I think that C. Sense got lost when the internet started and people began accepting anything that came their way over the internet. I get emails of hoaxes that only take a few seconds to Google and see they are nonsense.

Comment

I too am confused over the Ten Commandments/Contraband statement?????

Comment

Hey I did not write this down someone send it to me. I should of not typed the last line. The woman who spilt the hot coffee on her lap should of put it on the table no matter what. Anyway are those coffee cup surpose to be covered?

As for the Ten Commandments I follow most of it said for one thing which is I do swear. Anyway it was writen in that email. I lost faith in the church ages ago. Religion and the matters of the state should be kept seprate all times. I don't need rules to run my life as long I don't break the law.

Also there is an other thing. I should be more careful about this. The writer is Guy Zapoleon and I never heard of him. He belong to some bible bashing group. There is a longer vision what I emailed in a link that Quartz provided (thankyou). My tail wagging between my legs. But I still believe what wrote about religion.

From
              GCG71

Comment

Poor old Mr. C. Sense was sadly made redundant by Mr. Politically Correct it would seem. Why do we have a semi state of anarchy after all? I say that whoever took the rights of police away from dealing with unruly kids in the street has a lot to answer for. Not to mention the rights of teachers from using good discipline at school rather than be shackled by Mr. Correctness. Why after all should teachers be terrified of some students these days, as kids are at school to be educated, not form a gang!! As adults, sometimes I feel that we may also have a lot to answer for sadly, after all, it is the adults of the world who have shown us this immaturity to start with, and for that we can be truly disappointed.
                Some of what children are allowed to be shown these days in the sense of movies and the media in general is utterly disgusting, the language that is now so universal amongst not just us adults but children as young as six or seven years of age is also extremely disturbing, and the portrayal of so many day to day things in a lot of these television shows and movies is just so encouraging for our children it is truly out of touch with the reality of the world we live in on a daily basis.
                Thanks for nothing Mr. Correctness and may your death be impending, the sooner the better.

Comment

Hey, Luxman/Vid Dude, aren't we in the Land of Off the Topic here? My common sense tells me this is a site for people who enjoy looking at nude girls.

Comment

Originally posted by artlover
                    Hey, Luxman/Vid Dude, aren't we in the Land of Off the Topic here? My common sense tells me this is a site for people who enjoy looking at nude girls.
                    Not too long ago it was common knowledge (a close relative to C. Sense) that NOONE looked at and enjoyed nude pictures. And that if you did you were perverted beyond redemption.

So the demise of C Sense and relative C Knowledge might be considered an OK topic for this forum.

Comment

As the father of three and an observer of people young and old, I can't agree that the problem lies with reduced authority for police and teachers. I'd say that parents have abdicated their responsibility. Like so many other people/groups in today's world, parents have taken the easy way out of passing responsbility for tough decisions on to someone else. Parents should realize that their children are people to be worked with, and very important people because what they learn at a young age can carry over for a lifetime, and be passed along to others in turn. More important than making money and more important than looking and feeling good is passing along a sense of values to our young people. Pardon my little turn on my soapbox here.

Comment

Your common sense has overlooked the nature of this forum. It's where the off-topic non-related ordinary things are meant to be.

Comment

There are nude girls here?

Comment

Originally posted by Howie348
                            As the father of three and an observer of people young and old, I can't agree that the problem lies with reduced authority for police and teachers. I'd say that parents have abdicated their responsibility.....
                            So it seems looking at the recent suit against McDonalds and their ilk for causing our children to be obese.

Comment

It's not McDonalds fault that make childern fat. It's the parents fault because they are not giving childern healthy options like an apple or a banana. Why McDonalds is a easy target, because they are just about everywhere, they are big and they are successfull what they are doing. Good on them. Where I live there are two McDonalds for a population of 52,000 people.

As for spilling coffee on one lap and sue them, I had a similiar thing happen but in a extrem side and I just about forgot about it! It happened just about eight years ago when my common sense went on a walk about for ten minutes. I was under a rotory slasher looking at blunt blades. (Don't worry the slasher wasn't working that time.) I was having abit of a hassle taking them off. So I had enough and I went over to a banch to get an four inche angle grinder. I got the angle grinder, hook up to an long power cord. I switch on the grinder and holding it in one hand and I hold the blade in the other. As I was grinding the blade, the angle grinder nicked my second digit of my fore finger on my left hand. Ouch. It hurt abit but it did not bleed because it got the bony part not the fleshy part. The grinder did not have warning signs not to do this or not to do that. Why? People who made it thought a idoit whould do something stupid like that. Fancy someone have a finger near a high speed spinning disk. If so it thier problem, which it was my. Anyway I had a little revange, the motor of the grinder burnt itself out two weeks later when I was using it proper. I did not sue. Why? Because I don't sue other people or company for little things like that. And It was my fault even though my common sense went away for a ten minute smoko break. I could of sue that bloke who I crashed into with my car because he went through a give way sign. But I did not because I wasn't injured. Just upset.

From
                              GCG71

GCG71

Comment

Originally posted by Howie348
                                As the father of three and an observer of people young and old, I can't agree that the problem lies with reduced authority for police and teachers. I'd say that parents have abdicated their responsibility.....
                                I couldn't agree more. We've set up a system that makes it all to easy to pass the buck. You need a license to own a dog in this country. I would think the resposibility of raising children should require a little more homework...
                                Last edited by Luxman; 8 February 2005, 05:25 AM. Reason: repairing quote tag

Comment

I stand corrected, Vid Dude. Thanks for the clarification.

Comment

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter

Sign up for the abby newsletter. Don't worry, we'll NEVER share your email address with anyone.
                                  Working...
                                  X