Piercings (Read Explanation First!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Piercings (Read Explanation First!)

This subject has split the ranks numerous times, so I think it's time to settle this matter once and for all - better still: with some nuance and differentiation. Where do you draw the line?

Important notes, please read carefully before casting your vote:

• This poll is about Abby Winters' Models, not your wife, girlfriend, secretary, or girls in general.
    • AbbyWinters Staff and Models are excluded from voting (I have no way of enforcing that, but I trust you).
    • I had only nine piercing categories, so I dropped two additional categories I had in mind: ear lobes (regular earrings, would probably score 99% approval anyway) and the distinction between outer and inner labia. I have not included the more exotic stuff like the septum (nose rings) or the bridge of the nose and stuff like that.
    • The poll is about what you think is 'OK' for a model in a shoot, not about what you prefer, except for the last option, of course. We're trying to establish the amount and location of piercings members are willing to tolerate, so to speak.
    • You can choose several options at the same time (multiple choice), except:
    • If you choose the last option ('None of the Above'), please make sure that that is the only option you choose - clear all other options.
    • The ordering is strictly physiological: from top to bottom, or 'from head to toe' - no other ordering should be inferred.
    • If a category is unclear, please ask here first before you vote - votes cannot be altered, revoked, or edited.
    • The number of piercings within a category is not important: if you don't mind one nostril pierced but not both, it is still 'OK', if you don't mind both nostrils pierced, but dislike a pierced single nostril, it is still 'OK'. The number is 'any'.
    • Piercings include the whole range of 'jewellery': rings, studs, spikes, chains, jewels, and Buick Convertibles.
    • The poll lasts for 30 days.
    • Voting is anonymous.
    • This thread will be *bumped* every week to ensure the highest possible turnout and representative results.
    Q.
    Ear Shell Piercing: OK
    16.76%
    Eyebrow Piercing: OK
    7.84%
    Nostril Piercing: OK
    8.38%
    Lip Piercing: OK
    5.70%
    Tongue Piercing: OK
    10.16%
    Nipple Piercing: OK
    10.87%
    Navel Piercing: OK
    16.76%
    Clit Hood Piercing: OK
    10.52%
    Labia Piercing: OK
    8.56%
    None of the Above are OK
    4.46%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by Quartz; 3 March 2005, 06:01 PM.

Let me be clear on this before I vote: is the question really what you think is "ok"? or what you would prefer to see? I mean, I don't mind piercings, but I prefer models without them...

Comment

Interesting way of doing it.
      Maybe it would be more instructive to have people check off what the really don't like.
      For instance, for me, lip, tongue, nose, and eyebrow piercing (any type of face-piercing, I guess) really detracts from my appreciation of a model.
      Clit and labia piercing is another story. Although I can do without it, if I'm looking at the clit and/or labia piercing, then I'm looking at the clit and labia, and that's a good thing.

I can see why you excluded the AW staff, but I'd love to hear them chime in about what they like and don't like.

P.S. Why are some of the categories in italics?

Comment

Originally posted by Roland
        Let me be clear on this before I vote: is the question really what you think is "ok"? or what you would prefer to see? I mean, I don't mind piercings, but I prefer models without them...
        Yes, it is what you think is 'OK' (or what you can put up with), not what you prefer. If you really prefer unpunctured models, choose the last option, but if you don't mind a little piercing in the nostril, OK that one instead.

Comment

Originally posted by arsby
          Interesting way of doing it.
          Maybe it would be more instructive to have people check off what the really don't like.
          I thought about that way too, but it would interfere with the last option (which would have to be: "All of the above are OK", which would probably get next to no votes. Since I believe a majority of the members don't like piercings, it would become a very crowded bar graph with some minor dents in it representing what people don't mind. This will probably result in a much more pronounced graph of what people can stand. I think we will see three or four 'leaders' in this graph over time.

P.S. Why are some of the categories in italics?
          The categories in italics represent your vote on this issue - they are the categories you OK'ed.
          Last edited by Quartz; 3 March 2005, 05:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by arsby
            Clit and labia piercing is another story. Although I can do without it, if I'm looking at the clit and/or labia piercing, then I'm looking at the clit and labia, and that's a good thing.
            That's something you'll have to reconcile with your conscience. If the thought "Pity about that piercing, though..." pops up most of the times there are piercings in that region, it is not 'OK'.

Comment

It's voting day! I have a feeling I'll like these results better than the last election I was in.......

So, when's the shaving poll go up Quartz? Or have I missed that one? (I hope not - I'd hate to see my side lose out by a whisker...)

-- bif

Comment

That's something you'll have to reconcile with your conscience. If the thought "Pity about that piercing, though..." pops up most of the times there are piercings in that region, it is not 'OK'.
                I think for me to arrive at a definitive answer I shall have to do a LOT of field (feel?) research. Strictly as an educational experience, of course!!

Comment

Originally posted by bifman
                  So, when's the shaving poll go up Quartz? Or have I missed that one?
                  Nope, I have it planned, and I think I have the options nailed. But I'll wait until these two polls are finished early next month.

Comment

Originally posted by artlover
                    I think for me to arrive at a definitive answer I shall have to do a LOT of field (feel?) research. Strictly as an educational experience, of course!!
                    Your homework is here.

Comment

Thanks, professor!

Comment

I am not a particular fan of piercings myself but this site is about models who are the every day girl you see on the street.
                        Guess what, regular everyday girls are often pierced. Piercings come and go in popularity and the site should reflect that -- if half the girls in Aussie have navel piercings this year we should probably see it in the models.
                        Sometimes the last model you'd expect suddenly reveals a hidden secret -- makes you wonder about people you see in the real world!
                        I would not expect AW & Co to seek out pierced models, and at the same time would be upset if the members pressed them to reject a model if a nipple or clit piercing is revealed.
                        It should be about the model as she is, personality (as much as can be revealed via computer) trumps all.

Timbit

Comment

This poll is not about behaviour change. Had this poll been about behaviour change, the options would have been entirely different (for example, they would contain 'should not' or 'don't like'). It merely reflects the members' aggregated opinion. If the result of this poll makes a model (re)think why she has piercings in the first place (personal expression, following a trend or just wanting to please?*), then there's nothing wrong with that. Maybe (some) models have a view about what others find attractive or exciting that is not entirely based on reality. Now, we are not an average slice of society by any means, but we are an audience they chose to show themselves to.

* In fact, I would love to survey the models about things like piercings, tattoos and shaving: personal expression, following trends or trying to please? Personally, I believe a lot of girls have piercings because they think "that's what turns guys on", or because it's splattered all over the mags they read. There's nothing wrong with introducing them to the 'come as you are' school of thought (ok, that's stretching it) that may very well be all the rage in the near future.
                          Last edited by Quartz; 4 March 2005, 04:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bifman
                            So, when's the shaving poll go up Quartz?
                            There was already a poll about shaving pretty exactly one year ago.
                            We had only 1 choice out of 3 options.

Perhaps a more detailed poll like this one could give us a much better view on what people like or don't like.

Lxm

Comment

Originally posted by Quartz
                              In fact, I would love to survey the models about things like piercings, tattoos and shaving: personal expression, following trends or trying to please? Personally, I believe a lot of girls have piercings because they think "that's what turns guys on", or because it's splattered all over the mags they read.
                              I have to disagree Quartz I think people in general get tattoos and piercings because it's something that can be unique; I know quiet a few people who have got tattoos for no other reason than they wanted to, but I do agree magazines and fashion would have something to do with it.

As for the poll, I always thought that models should be shot as they are so if the have a lot of tattoos and piercings than it's fine to shoot them like that.

Dave

Comment

The results will need to be read with care. At present some 21% of people voting have voted "None of the above are OK", however the percentage ascribed to this option is just 5%. The reason is that multiple votes are permitted for people who don't chose this option, and the percentage shown is of votes, not voters. To put this another way, at the time of writing the voters who are OK with piercing have cast an average of 4.7 votes each but those who prefer no piercing have had just one vote each.

Comment

Things that one puts on their body are a choice that each person makes for themselves . If you don't like it don't look.I do things different than and you do things different than me an that's what makes the world go round ,if we were all the same it would be pretty boring.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob
                                    The results will need to be read with care.
                                    That should be the point, yes. Only the last option can be 'absolutised', because it is typically an excluding vote. So the only conclusion will (and can) be: a hard percentage (number of votes for option 10 divided by the total number of votes) rejects all piercings, the remaining percentage doesn't really mind piercings of type 'whatever', and piercings of type 'whatever else' tend to be frowned upon. Again, we're not here to tell models what and what not do to. It is just food for thought, a little reality check, or an antidote to peer pressure .

Comment

Quartz,

Agreed. It's just that when techos start to get involved with market research it's important to be sure that they don't get confused and draw wrong conclusions from the numbers ....

Bob
                                      Last edited by Bob; 4 March 2005, 11:32 PM. Reason: Apostrophication

Comment

I'm not a tech by education ... I did a lot of empirical research in political and communications sciences (mostly election surveys and opinion polls), including statistical anlysis. You know, it's a bit like marketing, but with a scientific and theoretical foundation, and a valid null-hypothesis.

Comment

As long as it doesn't look like a nail factory exploded next to them and encrusted them with heaps of metal everywhere, I think piercings are fine anywhere the person wants to put them!

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Dave
                                            As for the poll, I always thought that models should be shot as they are so if the have a lot of tattoos and piercings then it's fine to shoot them like that.
                                            I very much agree with Dave here. With some models you would take away much of their visual personality if you also stripped them of their usual 'embellishments'. But credit to Quartz for a well constructed poll.

Comment

Ok, just an additional comment on this poll, because I think some people are second-guessing the motive behind this poll.

Over the past year or so, several threads have been dedicated to piercings, and several other threads about different subjects (or about specific models) have featured comments on piercings. From a statistical point of view, these comments are entirely anecdotal, and therefore not in any way decisive or fit for aggregation and analysis. All that can be derived from that body of comments is 'It looks like most people who have been vocal on this issue do not favour piercings on models'. This in fact was the underlying opinion that created the lay-out of this specific poll and its categories.

On the other hand, a conclusion like 'Those who dislike piercings are likely to be vocal about it' may be just as valid. Without numbers, we will never know. Since this poll is anonymous and does not require any additional motivation, the participation threshold is low, and the resulting numbers will be more valid than any set of scattered comments.

The goal of this poll is to survey the membership's opinion on piercings, not to send out a signal to models or Abby and staff to 'rip out the least popular piercings before shooting a model', although I do not disagree with Abby's practice to ask for a piercing to be removed if it is at all possible - she does that because she does not really like piercings herself, not because we might not. I'm sure this pre-shoot ripping out of piercings would be a spectacle that could fuel a fetish site for years, but that's not what this is about. Had this poll been about turning the members into an anti-piercing pressure group, the poll would have had options like 'I think piercings are evil'. We'd be none the wiser, just rude.

I do think it would be interesting to see how the models' current piercing practices are in tune with the members' preferences. Same goes for (possible future polls about) shaving or tattoos. Maybe the overriding appeal of this site is that its members are a load of grumpy old(er) men with a tendency to say 'tsk', but an even stronger tendency to look even harder at 'what they don't really like to see', but can't take their eyes off of ... Maybe 'we' are simply the wrong audience for this site, and Abby should force-unsubscribe us!

As much as we would like to know about and hear from the models, they should have some tools to understand and get to know us as well. In the end, it's about knowing and (mutual) understanding, not about coercion, pressure or a vote of disapproval. Surely, everyone will understand the distinction between 'piercings on models' and 'pierced models'?

I don't think anybody would kick a lovely girl out when he finds out she has piercings ... If it turns out she likes musicals, that's an entirely different matter ... ( ok, fire away ).

Comment

Personally I have absolutely no problem with piercings, where people chose to do it is just that - their choice. However I find the images of anything other than naval piercing quite distracting, it does nothing for me. I guess I am just prejudiced and cannot see how others see themselves with this adornment. But then again beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

Comment

I have no problems with girls who like musicals, unless their singing is distracting during sex

Comment

*bump*

Three weeks left to vote!

Comment

Quartz, I follow your logic behind setting the question in the way you did, but I'm not sure how helpful the answers will be. I will tolerate piercing of any body part, view pics of models with any part pierced and probably enjoy the pics. I have therefore ticked every category except the last - total exclusion - category. However, given the choice, I prefer unpierced breasts and genitals and could live without pierced lips, noses etc. as well. To put it another way, my atitude is 'Darling, you're beautiful even with a nose-ring', rather than 'Your nose-ring is ugly.'.

BTW, do you plan on recalculating the percentages and posting these when the poll closes? At the moment 82 out of 116 voters will tolerate ear-shell piercings which is 70.7%. Due to the way the forum calculates percentages - as already mentioned above - this shows a percentage of 17.05%. It might be helpful to post a recalculation for the benefit of those posters (and there will be some!) who don't really understand percentages!!

Comment

Originally posted by pjay
                                                        Quartz, I follow your logic behind setting the question in the way you did, but I'm not sure how helpful the answers will be. I will tolerate piercing of any body part, view pics of models with any part pierced and probably enjoy the pics. I have therefore ticked every category except the last - total exclusion - category. However, given the choice, I prefer unpierced breasts and genitals and could live without pierced lips, noses etc. as well. To put it another way, my atitude is 'Darling, you're beautiful even with a nose-ring', rather than 'Your nose-ring is ugly.'.
                                                        You voted correctly. It is about what you can tolerate, what you can put up with, what you can stand. It is not about what you prefer, unless you prefer totally unpierced. Obviously, you cannot tolerate, stand, or put up with any piercings in that case, so it's clearly a preference ..

BTW, do you plan on recalculating the percentages and posting these when the poll closes? At the moment 82 out of 116 voters will tolerate ear-shell piercings which is 70.7%. Due to the way the forum calculates percentages - as already mentioned above - this shows a percentage of 17.05%. It might be helpful to post a recalculation for the benefit of those posters (and there will be some!) who don't really understand percentages!!
                                                        There will be some recalculation, but not to silly degrees. With a poll like this, there's no exact science. The only really hard number will be the 'no' vote, the others will be expressed in terms of relative shares, and probably as a percentage of the 'ok' votes only ("Those who can stand some amount of piercings (base = number of 'ok' voters = 100%) tend to tolerate piercings of type a (w/100) and b (x/100), while piercings of type c are less popular (y/100), and piercings of type d are clearly not highly appreciated (z/100)").

For example, the current trend (116 votes, 95 'ok' votes) would be a = ear shell (86% of ok vote), b = navel (86%), c = nipple/clit hood/tongue etc. (40-50%), d = lip (30%). 18% of the total vote are opposed to any form of piercing.
                                                        Last edited by Quartz; 11 March 2005, 09:21 PM.

Comment

The inclusion or lack of piercings in all their forms and locations is part of what makes each of Abby's girls unique. I may prefer not to see certain items of "jewelry" certain places on a girl's anatomy but that doesn't make them wrong, any more than liking other piercings in other places makes them right.

Comment

*BUMP*

Two weeks left to vote in this poll!

Comment

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter

Sign up for the abby newsletter. Don't worry, we'll NEVER share your email address with anyone.
                                                            Working...
                                                            X