The new gold videos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The new gold videos

Would it be possible to present these in a zip format for us poor people without a broadband connection? I will not be able to download these as I no longer have access to a broadband connection.

Unfortunately, they are already compressed. Zipping doesn't really save any space.

However, I may put them up in regular size avi format for people in your situation. I'll discuss that with Abby tonight, if you like.

Comment

I took VM's advice and have just completed a 35mb download (nearly 4 hrs mind you ) of one of the latest Susie and Nikki videos (no.3).
      Won't be downloading too many more of those unless you would absolutely recommend it img tag disable, use attachment mgr/system to add images to postshttp://www.abbywinters.com/discus/clipart/wink.gif
      They are a bit horny tho aren't they img tag disable, use attachment mgr/system to add images to postshttp://www.abbywinters.com/discus/clipart/happy.gif
      Excellent stuff!
      VM mentioned problems viewing the videos
      I have XP and I can't use Media player to view any of the avi's (regular or gold) but DivX's The Playa works in desktop or fullscreen mode reasonably well

Comment

Update to that
        The gold version works ok in media player 8 (at this stage)
        Its just the others that won't
        Go figure img tag disable, use attachment mgr/system to add images to postshttp://www.abbywinters.com/discus/clipart/crazy.gif

Comment

Videoman I'd be very grateful if you would discuss this with Abby, thanks.

Comment

Ardsfc, unfortunately Abby has decided not to offer the Gold vids in any other format or size. The problem is bandwidth - we're currently churning through an enormous leap in bandwidth usage, and apart from our regular updates, we're trying not to cause an even larger throughput if we can help it. This is one of the sacrifices Abby has decided on.

I agree with her, too - in the same way that people sometimes ask for two versions of image size, we can't offer every option possible, there's a realistic limit, and in the case of Gold vids they stay one size: exclusively large format.

Comment

By the way, Ardsfc, did you want the files zipped for compression, or for resumable downloads?

Comment

Well I wanted them zipped for compression but a resumable download is good option I never thought of. I was wondering would it be possible to even upload the videos in zip format to other webspace? I mean I could give you the ftp details of my own webspace and if they were dropped there I could rename them to something work related ;) and grab them in no time at work. Even if any other member could do that for me, I'd be eternally grateful.

Comment

I use a software package called Net Vampire Pro 4.0 (http://www.netvampire.com/) for retrieving big files. It's been mentioned on this board before: I think Arsby alerted me to it.

One of its features is that it can auto-resume downloads of any file. Plus you can give it pile of files to retrieve and it will queue them. It can handle password protected sites: type your user name and password once and it remembers them for all downloads from that site.

I am spoiled by my cable modem connection, but I imagine it's even more useful for dialup modem connections. Give it a load of files to download and go and do something else.

It puts a little "drop box" on the screen so you can drag links to it for queueing - very clever.

The basic software is free, but ad-supported. You can pay to have an ad-free version. Interestingly though, I have never seen an ad in the free version, so I have never upgraded.

I think it just makes efficient use of the available bandwidth, so it's not increasing Abby's bandwidth costs at all. It may even reduce them because members won't have to restart downloads.

Abby/Viddude: you may want to take a look at Net Vampire and put a link on the site if you think it is useful. I expect there are other products available, but for the price Net Vampire is fine.

Comment

Also Go!Zilla
                    Does the same thing
                    Will also disconnect from internet when finished and shut down your computer if you wish
                    Same price too

Comment

I use NetVampire myself already! Have done for a year or more, especially useful when I was on dialup. I download movei trailers, and as they are normally aroun 30Mb for the good ones, I needed it. Very useful indeed. I was actually just going to recommend it and then Artful preempted me. Spooooookyyyyy

I tried GoZilla but it never seemed to work properly for me. Abby used to use it a lot, though, so I'm sure she'd recommend it too.

Speaking of filesharing (which we weren't), has anybody tried Morpheus? I cannot for the life of me get it to go fast enough to be of any use.

Comment

Netvampire and GoZilla have been discussed before and I can get neither to work on this site. Can anyone else? If so I'd appreciate a set of instructions!

Comment

When you open the program, it will put up a little icon that hovers over the page. You click on a link and drag it to the little icon, and it will open a window. Choose site settings, and you can put your username and password. Then it will start downloading.

Comment

And have you tried that with any of the videos on AW? I've used GoZilla before no problem but in association with this site it will not download the vids, I suspect it's something to do with the fact they aren't streaming.

I appreciate you may not want to set a president but I'd ask this huge favour from you and it goes for all the other nice members out there img tag disable, use attachment mgr/system to add images to postshttp://www.abbywinters.com/discus/clipart/happy.gif If I give you the ftp details for my personal webspace, can you upload the vids there? How long would it take with your connection? I won't obviously ask this favour often as it's only these huge gold videos that cause me problems.

Comment

I don't think problems with video download should not be anything to do with the streaming or lack thereof from the aw.com server: Net Vampire just uses http to get the files.

Can you download ZIP files of pictures successfully? I downloaded 3 videos successfully a couple of days ago as a test, but I have a cable modem so I am very fortunate.

Can you check the Net Vampire error messages? Does it get part way through and then fail, or does the download not start? Can you download big files from other sites?

If your connection is slow or error-prone you might have to adjust some of the timeout or retry parameters in NV. Check the documentation for advice. NV can be set to be very persistent retrying - see the warnings about this in the manual.

Comment

With NetVampire I got an error message saying failed to retrieve job, 2 protocol errors?

Comment

Ardsfc,

First of all, are you using the drop basket function to drop the zip file into Net Vampire? That's the way I do it.

Second of all, did you define your site password to Net Vampire? You only have to do it once, but you have to do it.

I've used Net Vampire dozens of times on videos and zips here. It works beautifully. I've even had a download interrupted by a re-boot - Net Vampire remembered where it left off (near the end of the download) and completed it in seconds.

Comment

Videoman....

I tried Morpheus as well, and winMX. I could not find anything of significant interest and when I found 1 thing slightly interesting (on either) I could never get anything at any kind of acceptable speed. (and yes, I went deep into setup.. that was not the problem) Instead, I just stood by my old favorite, Bearshare. Despite rumours to the contrary, Bearshare is NOT spyware. Just be sure NOT to install the extra sponsorship crap during the install. If you want to check for sure though, run a firewall (zonealarm is excellent and free) and while bearshare is running see what programs are accessing the net and serving. Zonealarm will only let programs that you give permission access to the net and rights to serve. Then if you want to be doubly paranoid (suggested.... things are getting creepy out there) simply try cntrl-alt-del (ONCE) and see what programs are running while bearshare is running. The spyware rumours are false. Proof is in the pudding. And hey... who doesn't like pudding??

So far, bearshare is:

1. The only filesharing program I've been able to get to work well with
                                    acceptable download speeds other than napster, which is dead in the water.

2. The only filesharing program I've used that returns TONS of adult video on searches.

3. Very configureable and user friendly.

http://www.bearshare.com
                                    For the free download.

I am on broadband (768k sdsl -same speed both directions) and I am able to download entire Divx films (feature films) in just a few hours. The program now features multiple-source download resume. Even if the fella that was sending you harry potter cancels his account, the program will try OTHER users that have the same file and resume the download where you left off before. Nice.

Good luck, and great job with the updates, dude.

ilk..

Comment

Ardsfc:

Are you behind a firewall when trying to download? I looked through all the FAQs in the NV manual and, while it does not mention your error explicitly, firewall problems seem to predominate.

Asking again:
                                      Can you download ZIP files of pictures successfully? ...

Does it get part way through and then fail, or does the download not start?

Can you download big files from other sites?

Comment

This is a side note, and off topic for this forum, but I wanted to address something that Mechailk mentioned. It's about Bearshare and rumors of it being spyware.

There is a great program that I use to test and remove all spyware on my computer, and it's completely free. It's called Ad-Aware, and you can download it from Lavasoft's website: http://www.lavasoft.de or http://www.lsfileserv.com. You can use that to verify that Bearshare is free of spyware (I don't know anything about Bearshare), or any other programs that you have be running (i.e. CometCursor has a notorious spyware program).

Ok, back on topic...

Comment

Arsby thanks for your help, I hadn't put the username and password in, I just assumed the software would ask me if needed. Download under way, I imagine it'll take several hours!

Comment

Glad I could help.
                                            The good news is, if you have to reboot or something, the download starts up where it left off - you can do it in 3 2-hour sessions if necessary.
                                            To do that, select the job that was interrupted and poke the green "go" arrow.

Comment

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter

Sign up for the abby newsletter. Don't worry, we'll NEVER share your email address with anyone.
                                            Working...
                                            X