Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

35mm Film

Hi Abby,
    Hey I just wondered, did you every shoot 35mm film, before you got into digital. And on your awesomesome close-ups, are you using a mirco lens for those? I'm doing an artistic nude project, but with an old (1964) Brownie Hawkeyed, 120 film camera. There will be no close-ups, minimum distance from the subject-3ft. Keep up the great work.
    FB Smith
    photographer

Hiya

I have never used a 35mm film camera for this kinda stuff, I used one a very little when I was in highschool and uni, not much else.

For more info on my gear, have a look at the about abby page (http://www.abbywinters.com/main.php?page=about).

Good luck with your project, you should post some samps here!

a

Comment

Your project sounds great, fbrads. I use 35mm, which is a fine medium for my work (b/w abstracts). I dream of going to 120 one day, and the idea of using a vintage camera makes my heart race. (Yeah, another photo geek--we're everywhere). Do post some samples.

Comment

Originally posted by artlover
        Your project sounds great, fbrads. I use 35mm, which is a fine medium for my work (b/w abstracts). I dream of going to 120 one day, and the idea of using a vintage camera makes my heart race. (Yeah, another photo geek--we're everywhere). Do post some samples.
        Take it all the way and try large format. Camera deconstructed -- Lens, shutter, film. Nothing beats it as long as you are not looking for convenience!
        If you are familiar with Ansel Adams he called 35mm "miniature format", 120 "small format", 4X5 "medium format" and 8X10 and up was "large format".
        I still have my 4X5 from my university days, I really should dig it out.

Timbit

Comment

Some gorgeous work is being done in large format, no doubt. But I am looking for convenience. I like having a small camera that I can maneuver easily and grab off the shelf. All my prints are made on 8X10 or 4x5 paper. I'm not given to grand statements Frankly I am not sure I have the strength to carry around an 8 x 10--Adams must have been half mountain goat! I saw a really nice 4x5 at the local camera shop, found out how much at cost... and decided that rent came first. If I did portrait work I would certainly go larger than 35. (The Adams trust toured many of his most famous prints several years ago--I went to the exhibit three times. It was practically a religious experience.)

Up in New York there's a Polaroid camera that uses 20 x 24. That's inches, not centimeters. It has a special studio. You have to make an appointment. The pictures are unbelievable. (You could almost do a life-size portrait of petite Elizabeth

Good to know there are other photographers out there.

Comment

I'm glad to see so many photographyer's here. I am moving more towards digital in this sense, I now scan my negitives, rather than printing in the darkroom, which takes way to much time. Services such as Mpix, can offer quality prints, up to 20x30, at very affordable prices. The only printing I will do, is for my Kodak Brownie Project. Thats because I will be doing a nude seires, and I need the control I have in the darkroom. In addition, the 120 negitive looks very nice, when printed on 8x10 or 11x14 paper, with a 5x5 or 6x6 image. Quick Fact. The Kodak brownie uses a fix lens at about f/5.6 and a fixed sutter speed of 1/250. So, there are not high thech stuff to tell you what to do, got to think real hard, before you shoot. Here are a couple of samples. Thanks to all, for your interest.
            FB Smith
            Attached Files

Comment

I love the mystery of these photos--reminds me of pinhole photography. I would think that would be a wonderful challenge, have a fixed aperture and fixed shutter. the second photo tells me you're not afraid to allow a lot of black in your composition. thanks for sharing them... The first photo reminds me a little of infrared work. Keep shooting!

Comment

Although I own and use both 35mm and Digital cameras, my favourite for portrait, including occasional nude work. is a 45 year old Rolliflex Twin Lens Reflex.

You can't rush things when using these old beauties, which tends to help you compose with more care. The viewfinder looks like a finished photo, (albeit mirror image,) and shows up common errors which are only too easily missed on normal eye level viewfinders. (For example, trees growing out of models' heads.)

You can also shoot over the heads of a crowd by holding the camera upside down at arms length. This is a good trick for getting the attention of a model in a group session, and making her to laugh.

Now if Nikon produced a version of their rotating screen digital cameras with a decent size screen shaded by a hood, it might match my ancient classic.

DaiMM

Comment

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter

Sign up for the abby newsletter. Don't worry, we'll NEVER share your email address with anyone.
                Working...
                X