Joining mpegs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Joining mpegs

I have been trying to find a program that will rejoin the segments of the mpg files into the one file.

It was suggested here that MpgJoin (a free program) would do it but I found it wasn't reliable, about one in three sets would not work with it.

But, good news...there is a program called Easy Video Joiner that although not free ($US20) works so far flawlessly for me, and it is simple and nice to use. If anyone else is interested, you can download a trial from http://www.doeasier.org/joiner/

I am hoping that one day Abby might offer us, as an alternative, a download of the whole set as one file...you would need a pretty good broadband connection of course ~ the old 256Kbps might be a bit slow.

Max

The few times I've tried this I used Windows Movie Maker that came with my laptop.

The good news... easy to use, easy to splice together (and cut apart) videos.

The bad news... only outputs to .wmv files.

Oh well, for me it was free.

Comment

Joining MPEG1 Videos ist quite easy:
      You can simply use this copy command in DOS console:
      Code:
      copy /b video1.mpg+video2.mpg+video3.mpg+video4.mpg video1to4.mpg
      Example:
      Code:
      copy /b g_veritysuevid3.mpg+g_veritysuevid4.mpg g_veritysuevid3-4.mpg
      will join g_veritysuevid3.mpg and g_veritysuevid4.mpg

or make a file "copy.bat" in the directory where you have your aw Videos.
      Open it with an editor, copy+paste the command above.
      replace video1.mpg,video2.mpg,... by filenames of videos you want to join.

Comment

ahhh. the days of Ms-Dos 6.22

Comment

It's good to have a computer history that precedes Win32

Comment

BTW - what is Win32, actually?

I only ask because my computer has reported many times, when I switch on, that Win32 experienced a problem, and a report has been prepared to be sent to Microsoft etc etc ... but I haven't found anything that tells me what Win32 is.

All help appreciated! (signed) A Non-techie

Comment

Originally posted by newfie3
              Code:
              Example:
              Code:
              I've really appreciated this tip. It sure beats messing around with playlists.
              og

Comment

MPEG joining caution

Using the copy command in the manner specified in previous responses does not modify "mpeg header" information. This can be a problem for applications that read and apply this information. If you want to do mpeg joining properly I would recommend mpgtx (freeware I think).

Comment

Originally posted by newfie3
                  Code:
                  Example:
                  Code:

or make a file "copy.bat" in the directory where you have your aw Videos.
                  Open it with an editor, copy+paste the command above.
                  replace video1.mpg,video2.mpg,... by filenames of videos you want to join.
                  Don't forget you can use wild cards to save you typing each and every filename.

copy /b *1.mp*g+*2.mp*g+*3.mp*g+*4.mp*g+*5.mp*g+*6.mp*g typenewfilenamehere.mpg

Edit:
                  I just realised that some file extentions are .mpg and others are .mpeg which is why I've added wild cards in the above batch file. *.mp*g
                  Last edited by doncro; 4 May 2005, 02:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Screwloose
                    BTW - what is Win32, actually?

I only ask because my computer has reported many times, when I switch on, that Win32 experienced a problem, and a report has been prepared to be sent to Microsoft etc etc ... but I haven't found anything that tells me what Win32 is.

All help appreciated! (signed) A Non-techie
                    Sorry, bud, I should have said Win3.2, my first version of Windows beyond DOS. Win32 is something different, having to do with 32 bit programming, I think. I'm not well versed in the internal workings of Windows either, so I'm not qualified to answer.

Comment

For Macintosh Users:

There is a powerful software package for Mac OS X available.
                      It's name is mpgtx GUI mpeg editor, it is able to join, split and demultiplex mpeg1, mpeg2, mp2 and mp3 video/audio files.
                      I have tested it and I can say it's simple to use and very fast (to join 20 files of 2 minutes into one file it took about 20 seconds).
                      It is actually a very stable beta version and downloadable for free.

Lxm

Comment

problems w/ using DOS copy command

I followed the instructions posted on the site on June 22 and ran into the following problems. I'd be grateful for any thoughts!

When I used willdcards the files were added twice and in an apparently random order, but it repeats in thesame order each time I run the file using wildcards. When I entered each file name they were apparently added in the correct order, and only once, but when I attempt to play the newly created file the player stops after playing the first segment. I copied .wmv files and tried playing with both Real Player and Wndows Media Player.

TIA,
                        Harry, Minnesota USA

Comment

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter

Sign up for the abby newsletter. Don't worry, we'll NEVER share your email address with anyone.
                        Working...
                        X