Favorite bands/singers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Favorite bands/singers

The post about Shirley Manson and Garbage got me wondering...what is eveyone's favorite groups/singers? I'm interested to know what people are listening to in other parts of the World.

It's funny b/c even though I'm in the U.S., most of my favorite groups are from overseas. Here are some of my faves (in no particular order)

Zero 7 (including Sia Furler, Sophie Barker and Tina Dico)
    Flunk
    Esthero
    Dido
    Frou Frou
    Goldfrapp
    Emiliana Torrini
    Fiona Apple (love her unreleased album!)
    The Dears (love their new single Lost in the Plot)
    Last edited by bwhite14; 9 April 2005, 01:50 AM. Reason: changed title of post

Well, my favourites stem from the guitar noise era (80s, 90s). I basically stopped being interested in music when all the alternative/small labels ceased to exist and all the new bands sounded like the old bands, but overproduced. Some names, (*)=seen them live.

Smashing Pumpkins (*), Pixies (*), Swans (*), Atari Teenage Riot (*), Sonic Youth (*), Compulsion, My Bloody Valentine (*), Hole (*), Superchunk, Barkmarket, Bivouac, Hammerhead, Gobblehoof, Napalm Death, Swervedriver, Pavement, Today is the Day, Helmet, Smashing Orange, Big Black (*), Prong, Bevis Frond, St. Johnny, Shellac (*), Marilyn Manson, Swirlies (*), Trumans Water, Medicine, Pain Teens, Skinny Puppy, Fudge Tunnel, Pantera, Wipers, Dead Moon (*), Polvo, Superconductor, Aphex Twin, Zeni Geva, Whitehouse, Controlled Bleeding, Husker Du, Pond, Sebadoh (*), Chrome Cranks, Lee Harvey Oswald Band, Silverfish (*), Sewer Zombies, Lilys, Mudhoney, Deftones, etc.

Labels: Alternative Tentacles, City Slang, Survival, Sub Pop, American, Nettwerk, Matador, Taaang, Reprise, SST, Homestead, Creation, etc.

Comment

Gotta love The Whitlams. Great Auzzie band. "Eternal Nightcap" is my alltime favourite album.

Tank
      "The wall was high and I fell asleep"

Comment

I love music.

my tops right now are:

Elliott Smith
        Modest Mouse
        Wilco

other stuff I like...

John Vanderslice (www.johnvanderslice.com -- lots of free mp3's)
        Beck - Guero
        New Fiona Apple
        Coheed and Cambria
        Pinback
        The Shins
        Rilo Kiley
        The Flaming Lips (local band...)
        Sparklehorse

... and of course.. Radiohead!!!

Comment

My favourites:

- 13th Floor Elevators
          - Roky Erickson
          - Yahowha 13
          - Captain Beefheart and his Magic Band
          - Golden Dawn
          - Red Crayola
          - CAN
          - Damo Suzuki
          - Amon Düül I and II
          - The Fugs
          - Holy Modal Rounders
          - Velvet Underground
          - The Seeds
          - MC5
          - The Stooges
          - Syd Barrett
          - Ash Ra Tempel
          - Cold Sun/Dark Shadows
          - Country Joe & The Fish

Comment

I love Speedfreak's list, but he missed a few:

-Hawkwind
            -The Pink Fairies
            -Kluster

and some others that I like
            -Monster Magnet
            -Pressurehed (a.k.a. Farflung, The Brain)
            -Helios Creed

and of course, my band
            -Atomsmasher

Comment

Holy smokes, do I feel old... I recognize perhaps one tenth of the names... anyway, a list from the OF (Old Fart) generation.

Absolute fave... U2

Still enjoy: Talking Heads
              Lets Active*
              the dBs*
              the Clash
              Elvis Costello

Past few years I have gotten into female singers:

Audra McDonald (pop standards)
              Emmylou Harris
              Mary Chapin Carpenter
              Angelique Kidjo

Great topic...

* Not well know, mostly heard of on 80s college radio, but well worth checking out if you like power pop from that era..

Comment

My favourites:

-Fleetwood Mac (second era)
                -The Corrs
                -Mike Oldfield
                -Stevie Nicks (it's not redundant: she's more than a Fleetwood Mac singer)
                -Pretenders
                -Mecano (Spanish band)
                -Trust (french heavy band)
                -Ac/Dc
                -Jean Michel Jarre
                -Pat Benatar

Most of them are out of the business now (or almost): I suposse that means that I'm a little old fashioned in that matter

Comment

Oh canillas, you're saving me. At least there's one guy coming up with stuff I like (and know).

My preferences are:
                  Mike Oldfield (all time favourite, especially Amarok, QE2, Platinum, Ommadawn, Islands, all the Bells,...)
                  Enya (makes me a great effect when I'm in a bad mood, fortunately this happens rarely)
                  Johnny Clegg & Juluka/Savuka
                  Mylène Farmer
                  Alizée
                  The Corrs
                  UB40
                  Bob Marley
                  Jean-Michel Jarre
                  ABBA
                  Oldies from the 60's

Lxm

Comment

The Waifs!!!

Comment

UB40
                      Bob Marley
                      Soulful choices--reggae could quite possibly be the most danceable music known to humankind. All music bypasses the intellect to some extent, but reggae goes straight from the auditory nerve to the hip muscles.

Comment

Jeez, you guys make me feel so old.

How about (in no particular order)
                        Jefferson Airplane/Starship
                        Pink Floyd
                        Led Zeppelin
                        Hendrix
                        Moody Blues
                        Jethro Tull
                        The Dead

and my all-time favorite...
                        Frank Zappa

Comment

hmm, i've got a pretty wide range. love everything from rock (no hardrock) to pop, to some hiphop, to jazz, to house and broken beatz.

all time faves:
                          air, basement jaxx, beach boys, beastie boys, björk, beck, count basie, de phazz, die fantastischen vier, eels, fatboy slim, franz ferdinand, henry mancini, massive attack, no doubt, portishead, prince, propellerheads, radiohead, and many more...

actual faves:
                          bloc party, scissor sisters, wir sind helden, the coral, pink martini, kelis, marie lafôret, gustav, the knive, ...

mass

Comment

Arsby... anyone who likes Hendrix AND the Moody Blues impresses me with their range.

Jethro Tull brings back pleasant memories from the 70s, and of my history professor who, after he told us that there actually was a Jethro Tull who invented furrowied plowing, said, "I understand there's a singer by the name" Yeah, he did a duet with Alice Cooper once.

"School's out forever..." (Artlover gets out the air guitar)

I also liked Roxy Music--fine music and some GREAT album covers

And the Ohio Players, mainly for the album covers...

Comment

You old farts are just pretending to be old farts. Actually, it all happened in the 1950s. After the likes of Jerry Lee Lewis, Little Richard and Fats Domino it was downhill all the way. In those days the music was so good that we'd drive out to a transport cafe (US: truck stop), just to play the jukebox. (IMHO )

Comment

Can i be a late middle aged fart? I didn't start listening to music till 1962! BTW, I found a great profile of Jerry Lee Lewis on the Manceshter Guardian website--he's still ornery as ever and still performing. Seven wives, I think, only one of them a previous relation

Comment

... and some of them were over the age of consent!

Comment

This is really an interesting poll. Hmm I'm from the US and I think I have a pretty good ear for music. I'll give you a list in no order at all.

1. Dave Matthews Band www.davematthewsband.com
                                    2. Jack Johnson www.jackjohnsonmusic.com
                                    3. PHISH www.phish.net or www.phish.com
                                    4. Pink Floyd
                                    5. Led Zepplin
                                    6. Nirvana
                                    7. White Zombie (got to rock hard sometime)
                                    8. R.L Burnside (89 year old blues singer LOVE his music)
                                    9. James Brown
                                    10. Billie Holiday (love strange fruit it's from 1932)
                                    11. Pearl Jam www.pearljam.com
                                    12. And a whole bunch others I LOVE MUSIC.
                                    But for some good time music that has a catchy beat to it check out Jack Johnson, Some of his songs I like are Taylor, Bubble Toes, Mudfootball, The News, Holes To Heaven. Of course I LOVE DMB also going to 8 concerts this year alone so far. Sometimes it pays to a member of the fan club and get great seats.
                                    But all in all, ALL music is good and crries a message it's just trying to under the message that the artist is trying to convey to you. As I get older I hear more music I like and don't mind listening to. But anymore I just listen to my MP3 player which is bad because that I don't get to hear any new music groups that often. But give all music a chance.

Last edited by speed4u; 11 April 2005, 01:57 AM.

Comment

Ooh, this thread is fun!

Millies top bands/singers (or those who happened to come into my head as I was posting this)

Non Aussie:

1. Bruce Springsteen (was probably at his peak when i was being born, but I love The Boss!)
                                      2. The Killers (esp Mr Bright Eyes, but the whole album is great
                                      3. Counting Crows (August and Everything After is, IMO, one of the best albums ever)
                                      4. Elliot Smith ( A new find for me, but my gosh the man wrote beautiful music)
                                      5. Pearl Jam (long standing fave)
                                      6. Jeff Buckley ( Purely for the beauty that is 'Grace')
                                      7. Pulp (What can I say? Just love em)
                                      8. The Cure (No explanation forthcoming)
                                      9. U2 (Not so much now, but in the 80's....)
                                      10. Coldplay (Yes, yes, bag them all you like, but I love their music)

Aussie:

1. Little Birdy
                                      2. Missy Higgins
                                      3. The John Butler Trio
                                      4. Nick Cave
                                      5. The Cat Empire
                                      6. The White Stripes

thats all I can think of for now....

Comment

Ooh, how fun!

My fave bands ever are easily Gomez, Jane's Addiction and Spearhead. Also, I have every NOFX album ever released, and have been playing them religiously for years! Oh, and I LOVE Flaming Lips.

As for aussie bands, well, where do i start? I went and saw Missy Higgins a few weeks ago at a big outdoor ampitheatre in Perth, it was pretty special. And seeing Regurgitator playing Falls Festival last year to a massive crowd that were all jumping up and down was pretty damn cool too.Without a doubt a few of my fave aussies include Cog, Karnivool, Jess McAvoy, Claire Bowditch, Sodastream, Fourth Floor Collapse, Xavier Rudd...oh I could go on for HOURS...we just have the best music ever.

Millie! The White Stripes are NOT Australian! They are American! But the Cat Empire are damn cool, good choice.

Sus

Comment

OHMIGOD! I almost forgot, my other favourite is Goldfrapp. Saw them at Glastonbury last year and was blown away. Speechless. Amazing. Argh! Allison Goldfrapp is AWESOME!

I'll calm down now.

S

Comment

In no particular order, or period of time.

Nick Drake
                                            Fairport Convention
                                            The Byrds
                                            Beatles
                                            Stones ( Brian Jones years )
                                            Kinks
                                            Small Faces
                                            Shack
                                            Slowdive
                                            Neko Case and her boyfriends
                                            Rachel Goswell
                                            Beth Orton
                                            Elliot Smith
                                            Jay Farrar
                                            Wilco
                                            Joni Mitchell
                                            Neil Young
                                            Buffalo Springfield
                                            Love
                                            Jason Falkner
                                            Magnetic Fields
                                            Kathleen Edwards
                                            Gram Parsons
                                            Syd Barrett
                                            Robin Hitchcock
                                            Aimee Mann
                                            The Go-Betweens
                                            Adem
                                            The Be Good Tanyas
                                            Eric Mathews
                                            Belle and Sebastion
                                            and I could go on and on so better stop now

Comment

Ooops, sorry ! Maybe it is just that they are so good they could be Australian! LOL

Comment

Now this is my kind of post!!! Live music is one of my passions. I'm sure some amazing musical talent is going to burst out of me one day and I'll blow you all away...well may be not but I'm ever hopeful. I have this tendency to fall in love with unknowen bands and then cool off when they get famous. I don't understand it either. George is a perfect example. Great Aussie band who I spent a lot of time following around to free grungey festivals and then everyone else realised how cool they are and now I'm just not feeling it. Keep posting your favourite bands coz I have a list on my wall at home of all bands I need to find or see live or whatever.

Mwa!

p

Comment

Originally posted by Penelope
                                                  I have this tendency to fall in love with unknowen bands and then cool off when they get famous.
                                                  I know exactly how that feels. In fact, a friend of mine owns a record shop, and when I used to get all my imports from him, I always took a bunch of CDs home to listen to two or three times a week. The ones I liked, I kept, the ones I didn't, I returned. The ones I returned with a definite 'yuck' comment gained special attention from him. I turned down Nirvana with a 'yuck' when nobody had heard of them. He immediately ordered 100 copies, and a week later he was bummed he hadn't ordered 1000, because the distributor had sold out every last one. That's why he charged me cost price and that's why he let me take home whatever I wanted .. As long as my 'yuck' was clearly audible to him It was a win-win situation after all: I got my imports cheap, and he knew when a band was going to strike it big ..

Comment

Wow I need friends like that. I've just moved to Melbourne from Brisbane and my music was a collective effort from all my friends. I feel cut off here because I'm poor at the moment and have so little contact with new music! I'm actually listening to the radio at the moment.

Comment

Boy, where does one start? ( it’s ok to skip over, really…don’t feel bad. I’ve done it… once. ...but then the post was removed, hotly debated and turned to legend…. now I’ll never know. But go ahead )

Ok, currently listening to Marilyn Manson - 'Holywood' (a favorite - 'Count to Six and Die' that song scares the shit out of me, can't help but think about those that live in troubled mind) and I think 'Karmix' is up next - a compilation by Claude Challe of funk Asian -er, well not sure exactly what but I like it. Ok a list. (no order)

Black Sabbath (1st album purchased ever - 'Master of Reality', I still don't think any of the recent metal/acid bands have touched the simply heavy metal of 'Vol 4')
                                                      Led Zep (simply great – all of it)
                                                      • Anything by Rimsky-Korsakov (especially Scheherazade Op. 35 -1001 Arabian Nights)
                                                      • Some Puddle of Mudd ('Heel Over Head' has a great riff)
                                                      Staind ('It's Been Awhile' is a well written teen angst song. My daughter turned me on to it)
                                                      • Most Tchaikovsky (Capriccio Italien, Romeo & Juliet, Swan Lake and of course 1812 overture. -heard too much of the nutcracker though...)
                                                      Beethoven(Moonlight Sonata, 3rd - "Eroica" & 9th (love to experience that in a fine concert hall! ((with some good weed))
                                                      Mike Oldfield (Hergest Ridge is my fav Luxman - he has the ability to take you away, no? A true pioneer in Music making/producing a one man orchestra - with the occasional help from a drunken friend )
                                                      Talking Heads 'Stop Making Sense' (how could anyone hold still for that collection?)
                                                      Renaissance(Annie Hasslen's (sp?) voice is one of the sweetest sounds on this planet. Sounds as sensuous to the ear as Rosana is delicious to the eye, to wit; 'Ocean Gypsy' and 'Young Prince and Princess' on their 'Live at Carnegie Hall' album. )
                                                      Hendrix
                                                      Santana's 'Supernatural' album (esp. 'Put you Lights On & 'Migra')
                                                      King Crimson ('I Talk To The Wind' & 'The Court Of The Crimson King Including The Return Of The Fire Witch And The Dance Of The Puppets' - great!)
                                                      Dave Mathews now and then
                                                      Nirvana
                                                      U2 (like Millie - the '80's stuff - although I really like 'Love and Peace or Else' from 'How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb' - good message and The Edge is a true master of building tension then cutting it loose like a Samurai on coke.. stay WAY outta the way...)
                                                      Leo Kottke every now and then
                                                      • Can’t forget John Pryne (‘Make me an Angel’ can make a trucker weep)
                                                      Pink Floyd ('The Wall' is a work of art in every sense)
                                                      Limp Bizkit's 'Results may Vary'
                                                      Eminem's '8 Mile' made me take Rap seriously (although it's still a short list for me) 'Cleanin' Out My Closet' is good.
                                                      Alice Cooper (School IS out indeed)
                                                      Jethro Tull (Just bought 'The Very Best Of Jethro Tull', one of about 60 "best of' Tull albums...)
                                                      Areosmith - (early stuff - 'Dream on' & 'Sweet Emotion" helped me through my last years of high school)
                                                      Rolling Stones
                                                      Eve 6 ('Hey Montana' is a great little ballad - anyone know if they wrote it? I hate to sound like a band half my age can write any good ballads - although this is a 'little' ballad)

(I've got to stop...)

GOD! I can't forget Queen! I can still remember the day a friend told me they were gay. I already had two of their albums and never figured that out... man was I clueless! (Long live the voice of Freddy Mercury singing 'Bohemian Rhapsody')
                                                      Basement Jaxx (thanks massive, I haven't listened to them in a long time)
                                                      • Also a fan of Jean Michael Jarre - BTW Luxman & canillas , I listen to Maurice Jarre's soundtrack for 'The Mission' regularly - beautiful - talent runs in the family.

I would like to find more "electro dance" rave type stuff, but I never hit on much that appeals to me. Basement Jaxx was the closest I've come. Also some stuff by Joshua Ryan - 'Fury'. Any suggestions?

--bif

Great Poll, by the way. But, please don't start the favorite ART (artlover ) poll too soon..... (or fav photographers after Abby.... ((nooooo!)) I have to make a living... must sleep now)
                                                      Last edited by bifman; 11 April 2005, 05:13 AM. Reason: got bold where I shouldn't have...

Comment

Hey bifman if you're looking for cool dance try either Logical Progressions PRESENTED BY L.T.J. Bukem, Nick Sentience or an Aussies fav of mine this chick called Bexta. I listen to this stuff when my friends and I are pre-gaming and getting pumped for a big one.

p

Comment

Originally posted by bifman
                                                          Mike Oldfield (Hergest Ridge is my fav Luxman - he has the ability to take you away, no? A true pioneer in Music making/producing a one man orchestra - with the occasional help from a drunken friend )
                                                          In my eyes Mike is a musical genius. I own everything what has been published and I love this guy's music since Tubular Bells came up. Everything is great.

Amarok is my favourite. I remember when I listened to it for the first time I said "Huh? What's that?" because I found it was pretty weird. After the second or third time it became my fave just because it's a bit weird. It's one single track of exactly 60 minutes and combined of many different styles, rhythms and melodies tied together by a main theme. When I do an "Amarok session" I put the stereo to a medium high volume level, dim the lights, start the music and forget everything around me for this one hour.

I also like the "Taurus trilogy", 3 titles spread over 3 different albums (Taurus 1 is on "QE2", Taurus 2 on "Five Miles Out" and Taurus 3 on "Crises"), put them together and listen to them as a trilogy and you're "away" for another 36 minutes.

Unfortunately today it's a bit calm around Mike, there's nothing new coming up since some time and he invests his time into the development of a computer game instead of writing new music.

Lxm

Comment

Thanks Penolope - am checking Bexta pronto! I've wanted to have a good 'rave' type dance here (small town w/ no bar/dance hall/anything but alot of people that like to dance. It's just the usual 70's 80's music is getting, well, not old - but tired.

Luxman - I don't think I've ever heard Amorak. (it dosent look like sleep is an option now....) Thanks!

-bif

Comment

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter

Sign up for the abby newsletter. Don't worry, we'll NEVER share your email address with anyone.
                                                            Working...
                                                            X