Medical criminal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Medical criminal

Now we know why the national death rate drops by 30% when doctors go on strike!
    BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

Is healthcare in Australia socialized, like in the UK?

Comment

I've heard that healthcare is socialized in all developed nations except for the good ol' USA.

They say the USA has the greatest health care system in the world. Which might be true, for those of us who can afford it.

Comment

Originally posted by woodford
        Now we know why the national death rate drops by 30% when doctors go on strike!
        I may be dense, but I don't see the point of woodford's post. The link he gives mentions neither the death rate nor a doctors' strike. I would be interested to see the evidence for any connection between the two.

Comment

Originally posted by arsby
          They say the USA has the greatest health care system in the world. Which might be true, for those of us who can afford it.
          Sorry, but who counts as "they"?

Timbit

Comment

75% of all surgery has been estimated to be totally unnecessary. A huge amount of iatrogenic suffering and premature death is thus caused. In countries where doctors have gone on strike (eg India and Israel) for several weeks, it was noticed that the death rates fell by 30%! This is not of course comparing most doctors & surgeons to Bundaberg';s Dr Patel!

Originally posted by Philos
            I may be dense, but I don't see the point of woodford's post. The link he gives mentions neither the death rate nor a doctors' strike. I would be interested to see the evidence for any connection between the two.

Comment

As I see it, medical technology, pharmacology, and new surgical techniques have advanced further in the US than anywhere else. People live with conditions that 50 years ago would have killed them. Great news... if you can afford that kind of medicine. And even if you are well insured, some treatments will exhaust that, too. It's scandalous.

Comment

Originally posted by artlover
                As I see it, medical technology, pharmacology, and new surgical techniques have advanced further in the US than anywhere else. People live with conditions that 50 years ago would have killed them. Great news... if you can afford that kind of medicine. And even if you are well insured, some treatments will exhaust that, too. It's scandalous.
                Amazingly, though, what would have been state of the art medical care 50 years ago is now dirt cheap. I bet you see another similar leap in the next 50 years.

Comment

Originally posted by woodford
                  In countries where doctors have gone on strike (eg India and Israel) for several weeks, it was noticed that the death rates fell by 30%!
                  It seems this is true: it was reported in the British Medical Journal. However, a correlation does not imply a cause. There must have been investigations into what happened and why, and if it really was due to doctors doing more harm than good, surely there would have been an enormous outcry. I can think of other reasons for the drop in reported deaths, but I don't have any facts. Anybody here know anything about it?

Comment

I bet you see another similar leap in the next 50 years.
                    Which won't help me, or many millions of others a damn bit. Can you tell I'm not happy at being uninsured. On this one, I blame both parties. Of course, members of Congress have great insurance. Democracy in action

Comment

I had couple of hospital experiences in uSA and it was very very bad. Though they have technology and a great interiors, the system and the people's mind set is very small. They take one whole day for Xray where as for a fraction of cost you can get the entire treatment done in India. Also the nurses and doctors seem little too rude to me. they pay more attention to the system of how things are done than to the care that is expected from tthem. Any way..... I am not canvassing for indian health care here

Comment

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter

Sign up for the abby newsletter. Don't worry, we'll NEVER share your email address with anyone.
                      Working...
                      X