Trouble with video playback

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trouble with video playback

I'm putting this under test messages, since it has to do with playback in general, not just AW stuff. I use Windows Media player, and most if not all the videos are choppy and stall during playback. A second or so, but enough to be irritating, especially with all the great vids around here lately.

I am using the newest version of Windows Media, and I originally thought the problem was there, but now I have noticed the same behavior when the normally active screensaver kicks in. I am using XP Pro on a 120G hard drive, (with AW in mind) and 512k RAM. The video card is supposedly built into the motherboard. I bought the system from a friend of a friend, and to be honest, I've never been entirely happy with it. Thank god it was cheap, but I can't afford to buy anything new. Probably for the same reasons, opening things in IE takes far too long, and overall speed is sluggish. I posted about this on a computer help site and got no response, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Since I've done it before, I'm considering reformatting and reloading Windows as a last resort, but I'd rather not.

HM
    Last edited by Havemercy; 16 June 2005, 01:49 AM. Reason: did not specify OS

Not an expert on this stuff by any stretch, but the first thing to do is make sure you have the latest driver for your video.

Also, Those more knowledgeable than I would like to know what version of Windows and IE you're running.

Comment

If you're not sure where to put a thread, then it goes in Mundane Chatter. But in this case, the Video thread is fine.

I think you'll find your trouble is that your integrated video card is crap. Most of them are.

Get a separate card. It doesn't have to be a fancy game-playing one, though if you get one of the older ones from a few years ago they're cheap and still quite powerful.

The other alternative is to try different media players, like Media Player Classic, or VideoLAN. Try that first, but getting a dedicated video card, especially a recognised brand like Radeon or Matrox, is a wise idea in any case (unless you'e on a laptop, in which case you're buggered).

Comment

Originally posted by arsby
        Not an expert on this stuff by any stretch, but the first thing to do is make sure you have the latest driver for your video.

Also, Those more knowledgeable than I would like to know what version of Windows and IE you're running.

Lol
        Hey Arsby
        Some of us would like to know if you use the same classes for editing the folios as you use for reading the boards

Comment

Originally posted by arsby
          Those more knowledgeable than I would like to know what version of Windows and IE you're running.
          XP Pro and IE 6.0
          Originally posted by VidDude
          Your integrated video card is crap.
          I was afraid of that. The guy who sold it to me (actually his wife, my then-boss) made it sound like he was doing me a great favor by installing an integrated card, but I was never keen on it. Can I leave the existing card alone and just install a seperate video card? I know just enough to be dangerous once I open the case.

Thanks for the advice, guys.

HM

Comment

Yes, you can do that. You can disable the unwanted stuff in your Device Manager.

Comment

Also what is your cpu Speed ?
              Is it fast enuf to cope with XP and everything else you are expecting of it
              Sounds like you have got a bit of a lemon
              Are there any spare slots for a video card?
              It is free of spyware and other nasties right?

Comment

Originally posted by heragin
                Also what is your cpu Speed ?
                Sounds like you have got a bit of a lemon
                Are there any spare slots for a video card?
                It is free of spyware and other nasties right?
                Processor speed is 1.1Ghz if I remember correctly (I'm not at home at the moment) and I was told there was plenty of room for expansion. I use Panda antivirus, which updates daily and I do a full scan once or twice a week with no problems found.

I originally gave my old system to my ex-boss's husband to have him install a larger hard drive--that was all. When he looked at it, he said the entire system was full of viruses and not worth repairing, so he gave me an entirely different system, which is what I have now, for $200. He does IT work, and it sounds like he only charged me for a new HD and used spare parts around the house for the rest. So if he's telling the truth, Panda didn't catch a lot of stuff on the old system, and it may not be now.

HM

Comment

Heragin, I wanted to know what type of XP Pro. Never mind. I was in the middle of editing a set and wanted to take a quick breather. That means read every third word.

Comment

I'm sorry Arsby I just couldnt resist

Havemercy, it might be a better approach to have a couple of different programs for checking for and hopefully blocking the nasty stuff
                    You didnt mention a firewall either?

1.1g cpu should be enuf to run simple video file i would have thought. Check system resouces in task manager while you got it running to see whats happening to cause jumpy playback. It sounds like a bottle neck to me which can often be due to integrated graphics but you have the extra ram to cover that.
                    By the way I am no expert

Comment

Originally posted by heragin
                      You didnt mention a firewall either?
                      There's a firewall built into Panda. What secondary AV would this august company suggest?

HM

Comment

There are lots out there and free
                        Not linked but AVG,Avast,MS antispyware Beta,AD-Aware SE,and Spybot come to mind

Comment

The first two that Heragin suggests are anti-virus, the others are anti-spyware.

I would recommend you buy the online versions of anti-virus (Norton and McAfee come to mind) and allow them to bug you mercilessly to keep them up-to-date. I have McAfee, I'm happy with it. About every three days it installs new "definitions".
                          (If you are moving large amounts of files around, temporarily disable the anti-virus. It can really slow you down.)

Ad-aware anti-spyware is great and it's free. Don't be snookered into buying it. (My dad was.) It's free from lavasoft.com.
                          Run it at least monthly or when you system seems to be suspiciously slowing down.
                          Spybot doesn't seem to be particularly active in keeping up to date, but that's just an opinion.

Comment

Ad-aware is very good. Arsby, you're right about Spybot's updates--I have had my PC about 10 months, and have had maybe three updates, as compared to ten or so for Ad-aware. I also have the MS Antispyware Beta--it seems pretty aggressive--although when it finds something, the fix procedure seems needlessly convoluted. You can set it to run checks at regular intervals, which is nice. Both Ad-aware and Spybot have straightforward operations. A couple of months ago I had a rash of spyware--MS caught eight; I ran Ad-aware and it found two more. So I would definitely recommend have several anti-spyware softwares. I haven't tried McAfree. Is it a free download?

Comment

It's McaFEE, as in you pay for it. I've heard it's pronounced MAC'-a-fee. With regard to anti-virus software, I think you get what you pay for. Go with a company whose reputation (and profits) are based on keeping viruses away. Others go with Norton, also at a price.

Comment

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter

Sign up for the abby newsletter. Don't worry, we'll NEVER share your email address with anyone.
                              Working...
                              X