Who or what is Harry Potter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who or what is Harry Potter?

Yesterday on the updates Vid Dude said something about being knee deep in Harry Potter. Just curious what that's all about. Is Harry Potter an actor athlete or someone running for government, getting too much exposure right now? Or is that an expression not a real person, like 'We're in Barney'? It sounds like it could be dirty. It can't be a tropical storm since those only have first names. I donno, I'm out of guesses.

Harry Potter is the AW staff magician; he conjures up heaps of nubile girls at Abby's doorstep. Does a damn fine job, I might add.

I am resistant to the other Harry Potter phenomenon, largely because I don't have kids. Have read or seen none of the books or movies. I guess I'm a snob--when something gets this much hype (midnight bookstore openings and all that) I have to wonder how good it really is. Call it the Waterworld effect.

Comment

Thank goodness - I thought it was just me.

Comment

It appears Artlover, Philos, and I are the HP holdouts so far. I tried to read the first book and gave up after 20 pages. To each his own... Did anyone else hear about the shop that accidentally sold a copy too soon, which resulted in a judge ordering the poor kid not to discuss or even read the book before the official release? It's just a fantasy book, your honor!

HM
        Last edited by Havemercy; 17 July 2005, 06:47 PM. Reason: The final sentence is purely my opinion and should in no way be construed to represent what may or may not be the opinion of AbbyWinters.com, its management, employees, or agents.

Comment

Originally posted by artlover
          I am resistant to the other Harry Potter phenomenon, largely because I don't have kids.
          If you did have kids, would you expose them to the possibility of becoming witchcraft devotees?
          J.K.Rowling may turn out to have a lot to answer for.

Comment

Originally posted by Philos
            If you did have kids, would you expose them to the possibility of becoming witchcraft devotees?
            And most films and TV nowadays expose them to the possiblity of becoming violent and sexually perverted murderers.

Most kids think they can do magic and that witches exist anyway. I know I did and it never did me any harm. *She says with her right eye twitching violently*
            Last edited by evangeline; 17 July 2005, 08:22 PM. Reason: Inappropriate (for this website anyway) opinions

Comment

Originally posted by evangeline
              Most kids think they can do magic and that witches exist anyway. I know I did and it never did me any harm. *She says with her right eye twitching violently*
              Well there is something magic about Evangeline... something quite bewitching. I'm sure you put a spell on men everywhere you go.

But have you ever had to turn anyone into a newt? If so did they get better?

Comment

I thought Hairy Potter was a hirsuite person who was putting flowers into little containers -- you mean he isn't?

Comment

I like Harry Potter. I'm about two thirds finished the book, actually, it's the most page-turning of them all so far. Unputdownable, indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by evangeline
                    And most films and TV nowadays expose them to the possiblity of becoming violent and sexually perverted murderers.
                    Only if their parents have entirely lost control over what children watch.

Most kids think they can do magic and that witches exist anyway.
                    I certainly never did. If it is true of modern kids, then it is part of the tide of irrationality that is threatening to sweep away the intellectual achievement so painfully won since the enlightenment. Whether it's Halloween or health food, phone masts or feng shui, we seem happy to put our faith in rhetoric rather than reason, and to trust charlatans rather than people who know what they are talking about.

IMHO

Comment

Criticizing Halloween! Is nothing sacred?

Phone masts? As in the towers that carry cellphone transmissions? Not sure how they fit into your argument, Philos.

Are they related to the black helicopters?

Comment

I was terrified of witches as a child. I had in my head that if I was completely covered by my doona, I would be safe. I'd stay under it for hours, not wanting to move. Almost suffocated a few times. Ah, those were the days.... What really got to me though, was the 'Gremlins' movie. It took me years to get over the idea that were hiding under my bed and in various places in the bathroom. Havent seen it since, though ppl tell me it's actually funny, not so much scary.

I like Harry Potter though.

Comment

how could you not laugh at a bunch of gremlins watching snow white and singing "hi ho hi ho, its off to work we go".....
                          one of the funniest moments in cinema history.

gremlins 2 is highly underrated too!

oh....and harry potter is highly overrated .....

flame on
                          Last edited by Ozboy24; 18 July 2005, 02:29 AM. Reason: coz i wanna dance

Comment

i dont know... I was pretty young, and had an EXTREMELY over active imagination. I was scared of everything. Still cant watch horror flicks. If someone even tells me the plotline, I freak out.

Comment

Originally posted by Millie
                              i dont know... I was pretty young, and had an EXTREMELY over active imagination. I was scared of everything. Still cant watch horror flicks. If someone even tells me the plotline, I freak out.
                              Millie: Luckily I was not subjected to tales of witchcraft in childhood, but I share your squeamishness about horror films (or violence of any kind). Perhaps people with limited imaginations need this stuff to prove to themselves that they're alive! My objection to Harry Potter is that it makes superstition and magic appear respectable in children's eyes. Of the millions who read it, a few may take their interest further and be harmed.

Artlover: There's a widespread protest movement in the UK that believes cell-phone base stations (not the phones themselves, note) are frying their kids' brains.

Comment

My objection to Harry Potter is that it makes superstition and magic appear respectable in children's eyes. Of the millions who read it, a few may take their interest further and be harmed.
                                There are a lot of people who have this same opinion, usually those of a religious persuasion, but I think their fears are unfounded. It's not corroborated by any evidence. Kids like to imagine and play and pretend, as we all did as children, but none of them actually try to perform any "real" magic. They grow out of believing it, and instead if they have an interest in it look at it purely academically and historically (myths) or as entertainment (stage magic). Which is nothing to fear at all.

I am living proof.

Comment

Even if this is the case, surely a book shouldnt be banned because a few ppl out of millions might get harmed. We'd have to ban just about everything, if that was case. And if parents are worried, then they should talk to their kids about their concerns, not just censor topics they find worrying. The real problems start when children/young adults are allowed to read/see what they like, without anyone discussing it with them. I think communication is the key.

I believed in all sorts of things as a kid - fairies, witches, wizards - and it hasn't done me any harm.

Comment

Originally posted by Vid Dude
                                    There are a lot of people who have this same opinion, usually those of a religious persuasion
                                    My objection to magic applies equally to religion, but this is not the place to go into that.

And Millie - I don't think I said ban it. At least I didn't mean to. It's not the specific books I object to: it's the increasing influence of superstitious ideas.

it hasn't done me any harm.
                                    How do you know?
                                    Last edited by Philos; 18 July 2005, 08:40 AM.

Comment

Vid Dude: - I agree with you totally, have read all four previous books and have found them throughly enjoyable, and am looking forward to reding the next one once my wife has finished with it. Do not see anything wrong with letting my kid read it (Once she is old enough, however at the moment if the book/cartoon/movie has not got Barney in it she is not interested.) However, what do you think of the movies compared to the books? My preference is in the books?

Millie: - Totall agree with you on the communication thing, i believe if you tell your kids why you do not want them wtaching this or that cartoon/movie/book, will make them understand a lot better

Philos: - I can see your thoughts on various issues and how kids can try out things in the "real world". You read so many storiesnow days of kids carrying out various crimes/acts after wtaching certain types of movies or playing video/computer games. However, as I stated earlier I believe the parents have a lot to do with how their kids grow up and what sort of control they have over their kids lives. I might be opening a can of worms here, but that is how i believe. My parents brought me up quite strictly, and hopefully I have turned out alright, I might not of agreed with some of things that they did not allow me to do/see but at the end of the day, I will do exactly the same things as they did with my child

Comment

Originally posted by zimbabwe
                                        However, what do you think of the movies compared to the books? My preference is in the books?
                                        As someone who has been involved in movie-making in many different ways (beyond what I do at aw.com) I view movies in a different light, and know how difficult it can be to not only adapt a book, but just to make a successfully entertaining movie in the first place.

So in that light, I like the movies and think they're excellent adaptations, but they don't have a high rewatchablitiy factor for me. I'm looking forward to the Goblet of Fire movie at the end of the year, as that's my favourite book (though the new one, Half-Blood Prince, may supercede that, as I am really enjoying it), and from what I've heard about it, it's an excellent piece of entertainment and a worthy followup to the last one.

Comment

So in that light, I like the movies and think they're excellent adaptations, but they don't have a high rewatchablitiy factor for me. I'm looking forward to the Goblet of Fire movie at the end of the year, as that's my favourite book (though the new one, Half-Blood Prince, may supercede that, as I am really enjoying it), and from what I've heard about it, it's an excellent piece of entertainment and a worthy followup to the last one.
                                          Vid Dude Or the Evil Ogre, (for those who are confused see the Rosanna thread under Models speak) Agree with you there, I did enjoy the movies and do happen to have them on DVD, but as you said i have only managed to watch them once, did try and watch them agaim but fell asleep during both of them. However, have read all the books twice, and enjoyed them just as much the second time as the first. So therefore prefer the books to the movies (As you say, it must be hard to convert from book to film and make it just as entertaining/enjoyable.)

Comment

....but they don't have a high rewatchablitiy factor for me.
                                            Which films do have a high rewatchability factor for you,and why.?

Comment

The Pixar films do, because they're great!
                                              The Back to the Future films do, because they're great!
                                              The Indiana Jones, Star Wars, and Lord of the Rings films do, because they're great!

And I also watch repeatedly a few kids' films, a couple of romance films, and some comedy films, mostly for intangible reasons.

Comment

And I also watch repeatedly a few kids' films, a couple of romance films, and some comedy films, mostly for intangible reasons.
                                                If it's not a nosey question,which romance and comedy films.?

Comment

The Pixar films do, because they're great!
                                                  The Back to the Future films do, because they're great!
                                                  The Indiana Jones, Star Wars, and Lord of the Rings films do, because they're great!
                                                  Hey Vid Dude, you have stolen my list! I think we are (again) on the same wavelength here.

I also am a big fan of everything animated from Disney (the hand made stuff) and own everything that has been released on DVD here in Europe.

Lxm

P.S. Did you know that the boss of Pixar is also the boss of Apple Computer?

Comment

While I would not want anyone to grow up fearful of everything, I see no harm in children believing in witches, Santa Claus, fairies, etc. Believing in such things, after all, requires the use of the imagination, which is one quality that children have in abundance and adults often lack. Most children realize the difference between fantasy and reality. I believed that UFOs were evidence of extraterrestrial visitations well into my teens. (I slowly realized that if the UFOnauts did not make themselves known in an empirically verifiable way, they were either too stupid to live or--more likely--wanted nothing to do with dangerous humans.) I turned out all right, too... which, yes, is an opinion, but a pretty well-founded one.

(The presence of overly credulous adults, however, is a real problem, that I think has to do more with a dangerous lack of critical thinking, an ability not encouraged by politicians, advertisers, or, very sadly, many teachers. Not having the capacity to critically examine a particular ideology can have disastrous results. It can lead some people to discard their sense of right and wrong, with devasting results, as Britons can attest).

Millie, I am also squeamish about horror movies, especially the modern ones. My strategy: If I am watching a movie and something bad is gonna happen, I take off my glasses or lower my eyes. These days, tho, the soundtracks are pretty dire, too.

I watched avidly The Wizard of Oz every year. Lurved the flying monkeys!

Comment

Originally posted by artlover
                                                      I see no harm in children believing in witches, Santa Claus, fairies, etc. ... The presence of overly credulous adults, however, is a real problem...
                                                      You don't see any connection between the two?

Believing ... requires the use of the imagination...
                                                      The very topic I'm supposed to be writing an essay on! Real students chat in coffee bars: on-line students chat in forums. It's all a strategy to avoid work .

Comment

Originally posted by calliope
                                                        If it's not a nosey question,which romance and comedy films.?
                                                        Romance: Ever After, Moulin Rouge, Down With Love, Notting Hill
                                                        Comedy: Airplane, Groundhog Day, Monty Python, Austin Powers, Shaun of the Dead

Comment

Real students chat in coffee bars: on-line students chat in forums. It's all a strategy to avoid work.
                                                          Do you have to be a student to chat in forums to avoid work? I think not!

Comment

Warning: Has nothing to do with Harry Potter

You don't see any connection between the two?
                                                            I am not sure. I have never asked, say, a conspiracy theorist if they grew up believing in Santa Claus, elves, etc. (I tend to avoid conspiracy theorists. But then, I would, being a hapless pawn of the Trilateral Commission ).

I think some sound research is needed to investigate a connection between children's superstitions and adult credulity. The more I consider it, the more interesting a question it is. Most children at a certain age can readily distinguish fantasy from reality, and enjoy both. Some sort of critical thinking capacity is necessary to make that distinction. What happens to that capacity as children become adults is a very interesting question.

I think you would enjoy a hard-to-find-but readable book, When Prophecy Fails, by Leon Festinger et al. He and his research team infiltrated a flying saucer cult in the 50s and watched what happened when Judgment Day failed to arrive. Most interesting.

Do you have to be a student to chat in forums to avoid work? I think not!
                                                            I like to think we are all students of life here at AW. Certainly we are all students of anatomy, eh?

And what fine teachers we have!

Comment

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter

Sign up for the abby newsletter. Don't worry, we'll NEVER share your email address with anyone.
                                                            Working...
                                                            X