Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guilty pleasure cinema

Hey ho

We all have our favorite movies, and we all have movies we think are great. But what about the movies we like but don't tell our friends about because we don't want to look like tasteless idiots? I'm talking guilty pleasure movies here, folks. The movies that will never make the AFI top 100 lists. Or the AFI Half-Decent 10,000 lists.

Me? I lurrve Japanese monster movies. When I am in the mood for dumb fun, nothing beats a guy in a rubber suit smashing an HO train set. . Godzilla, Rodan, Mothra, they are all sublimely ridiculous. Gotta love that bad dubbing too--I never knew so many Japanese were ventriloquists.

So, what's your guilty pleasure?

I guess my lone secret pleasure in the movies was the Rocky Horror Picture Show!!!

LET THERE BE LIPS!!!!!
    Last edited by alleyes1; 31 January 2006, 06:30 PM.

Comment

I think Airplane is the funniest movie I've ever seen, though Spaceballs comes close.

I really did like that B movie called The First Nudie Musical back when I was first married.

I also like stupid disaster movies. Independence Day (recent) and Towering Inferno (back when) are my faves.

These don't really fall into the category of "guilty pleasures", but it takes more than a movie to make be guilty. I smoked way after I told my virulently anti-smoking wife that I quit. There's some heavy guilt for you.

Comment

Independence Day is a wonderfully dumb movie. Few movies are funnier than Airplane. "Don't give me that white-zone shit"

Comment

Mad, Mad World was the top funniest for me followed by Airplane!

I used to go the the Pussycat Cinema (didn't matter much what was playing) when I wanted Guilty Cinema Pleasure.

Comment

The scenes of Sid Caesar locked in the basement of the hardware store are priceless. Ah, the good old days, when you had to go to places like the Pussycat Cinema. The days when guys wore raincoats to the theatre on clear days...

Comment

The Sound of Music.

I used to watch it over and over and over and over until Mum said 'ENOUGH!'

I know every line, and all the songs too...

Sus

Comment

Can't blame you. The songs are often saccharine, but they all have great melodies. At least you didn't subject Mum to Barney...

Comment

Eighties teen movies are my weakness - Girls Just Wanna Have Fun, Teen Witch, Cant buy me love....

Comment

Originally posted by artlover
                    Few movies are funnier than Airplane. "Don't give me that white-zone shit"
                    Ah, that's a fun way to do it.. quote your guilty pleasure movie and see how many people can figure out what it is!

Here's mine:

"What the hell is that? It's not water."

"Black Blood of the Earth!"

"You mean.. oil?"

"I mean, Black Blood of the Earth!"

BB
                    Last edited by brownboyletamb; 11 August 2005, 01:13 AM.

Comment

Ya got me there, BB. Sounds like a sci-fi movie. Is the title... Black Blood of the Earth?

Comment

Originally posted by Millie
                        Eighties teen movies are my weakness - Girls Just Wanna Have Fun, Teen Witch, Cant buy me love....
                        I have to go with Millie on this one, Cant buy me love is one of my favorites..as well as Conan the Barbrian.

Comment

My all time favourite is ....ahem... "Seven Brides for Seven Brothers". I can't help it! I used to put it on when I was babysitting (the 2 kiddies loved it) and I used to sing along with them. Wonderful stuff!

Comment

Since we're all confessing our secret vices, mine is "My Fair Lady" - can't get enough of that weepy rags-to-riches story and have seen it many times. There, I feel better now.

Comment

I finally saw My Fair Lady last year--better late than never. A superb film directed by the great Vincente Minnelli. The scene where Audrey Hepburn's at the horse race, trying to be a posh lady, but breaks character to scream "Move your bloody arse!!" at the horse is priceless. Outstanding production values, and Rex Harrison makes up for his inability to sing.

Evangeline, you are a musical gal. Always carry a song in your heart.

Anything with Gene Kelly is worth watching. God that man could dance--and he made it look effortless.

Comment

I loved MFL way before it ever became a movie. Great story, great music. I could (and sometimes do) listen to it over and over.

Another fun one that I saw again a couple of weeks ago is "The Music Man"

76 trombones........

Comment

Originally posted by evangeline
                                  My all time favourite is ....ahem... "Seven Brides for Seven Brothers". I can't help it! I used to put it on when I was babysitting (the 2 kiddies loved it) and I used to sing along with them. Wonderful stuff!
                                  This is my wife's favorite of all time. I'm OK with it.

Comment

i have no guilty pleasures......i'm innocent....

has anyone seen "Witness"? it's a fav.....and i watched it again recently.....i'm always surprised at how many people have not seen it....it's got harrison ford (his best work if you ask me) and it's directed by one of my fav directors....aussie peter weir....

and susie....i would always watch the sound of music with my sister.....and mary poppins.....and i love bedknobs and broomsticks....

nap

Comment

Witness is a fine movie. Especially when we see Kelly McGillis's small but lovely breasts...

It's interesting how many folks are mentioning musicals. Those old Hollywood guys knew a thing or two...

Take the Money and Run, from Woody Allen. He was still learning how to make movies, but very very funny.

As for 80s movies, Fast Times at Ridgmont High and Ferris Bueller stand out.

Comment

It's interesting how many folks are mentioning musicals. Those old Hollywood guys knew a thing or two...
                                        I think the "IN" crowd deemed them corny at soom point but actually forgot that musicals are great! I'd love to be in an environment where something would happen and everyone would just burst into song and everyone would know the dance steps.

Another musical I like is "Funny Face". With songs like "S ' wonderful, S'marvelous" and the great song that was sung by Fred Astair I think Kay Thomson when they're trying to get up the stairs.... Love musicals!

Comment

Ya got me there, BB. Sounds like a sci-fi movie. Is the title... Black Blood of the Earth?
                                          Don't know if that's it, but that description reminds me of the sci-fi movie Barbarella where the heroine (a sixties beauty with big boobs whose name I don't remember) asks such silly questions, and beneath the city of Duran Duran (the bad guy in the film), there is some kind of black substance that feeds on the desperate thoughts of the city's inhabitants.
                                          I especially liked the scene where the rebel leader and Barbarella take that sex substitute pill (because where Barbarella comes from, they have no war and no sex, just taking this pill after thoughtfully choosing an appropriate partner) and they get all the effects of hot raunchy sex (a scruffy hairdo, steam pouring out of their ears, and that eerie look in the eyes) without actually going further than having their fingertips touching.
                                          Didn't watch the film a second time, though. It had some lengths in it that you usually only find in musical films like "The Wizard of Oz" where the people just cannot go two steps without stopping and singing stuff (and thereby interrupting the story -- as opposed to real musicals where the songs usually come at places that feel "right", maybe because of the story being of a different kind).

Comment

Barbarella was Jane Fonda. Very memorable!

Comment

Sheesh. You guys are way too highbrow for me! My guilty-pleasure films all require you check your brain at the door.. I'll give you another hint - (a young, pre-Samantha) Kim Cattrall is in it.
                                              Last edited by brownboyletamb; 11 August 2005, 02:55 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

You mean Mannequin?

No wait, it's Big Trouble in Little China.

Comment

Two of my guilty pleasures are "This is SPINAL TAP' and 'Raising Arizona'!

Comment

Ding ding ding! Vid Dude's a winner! Hard to imagine Kim's body looking better now than when she was in her twenties.. Or.. I guess maybe not. This is Hollywood we're talking about, after all. BTW, that's another guilty pleasure.. I enjoyed watching Sex and the City. Thank God everyone on that show got naked EXCEPT Sarah Jessica Parker.
                                                    Last edited by brownboyletamb; 11 August 2005, 03:00 AM. Reason: grammar is a horrible thing

Comment

how about "Career Opportunities"? with a young Jennifer Connelly....roller skating.....and who knew? it was written by john hughes....who did ferris bueller's day off"......

nap (:

Comment

Originally posted by brownboyletamb
                                                        Thank God everyone on that show got naked EXCEPT Sarah Jessica Parker.
                                                        I think when she was "stringbean" Green in Square Pegs she would've been a perfect Abbywinters model!
                                                        Attached Files

Comment

If you're going back that far, Vid, find Cynthia Nixon in Manhattan Project, the ultimate geekboy fantasy come true flick!

Comment

Anything with Gene Kelly is worth watching. God that man could dance--and he made it look effortless.
                                                            sure did

Apologies for being a pedantic geek here,but what Eliza says to encourage Dover,(the horse),is,"move your bloomin' arse".

Eliza,of course,was another young lady who had trouble concentrating the mind of the object of her affections.
                                                            Last edited by calliope; 11 August 2005, 07:04 PM.

Comment

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter

Sign up for the abby newsletter. Don't worry, we'll NEVER share your email address with anyone.
                                                            Working...
                                                            X