PDA

View Full Version : Alexis's car thread!

Alexis
18th August 2005, 05:23 AM
Moved here instead of in 'the models speak' section...

In response to Darth Dave, I drive a Hyundai :) Pushing around a bit of Korean plastic until I can afford something that actually goes fast...hehe!

It has 17" rims (originally 13's), soon-to-be aggressive body kit, plus a myriad of other things including my fave -- the 5" rear muffler and 4" exhaust tip.

*swells with pride*

My fave cars would be along the lines of the latest Mazdas (Miatas) - preferably a 2003/04 MX-5, or a Subaru WRX Sti ('98 or '99 model....I hate the bug-eyes of the '00-'02's, and the upcoming 2006 one looks shocking!!).

Lastly...it's got about $1800 of car audio in there. I originally had a Playstation 2 wired up underneath the passenger-side seat with a power inverter and 7.5" LCD screen (I won't mention the 12 neon bars and 4 LED undercar bars) but took those out after the crash.

Modesty was never one of my personality traits...forgive me.

brownboyletamb
21st August 2005, 10:39 AM
Hi Alexis,

First of all, you're so beautiful! Thanks for modeling - and for posting on the boards.

Second, I can't believe not one gearhead's responded to this before me.. Left you hanging out there in the breeze, they did! Oh well. OK, I'd make some kind of snide comment about your choices of accessories, but I know how girls luurrvve their rides, LOL. So I'll just ask what kind of Hyundai? There are some that actually go fast, you know!

I'm assuming you get Japanese-spec cars over there, right? And didn't Susie have a Miata once?

If you're into the old skool WRX then I'm assuming you're into WRC? Have you ever been to see (or have you driven) rally races in Oz? I can picture it now - you in blue and gold Subaru nomex (looking fierce), on the winner's podium along with your stunned Finnish co-driver and a bevy of Michelin girls.. :)

I also notice you mention a wreck.. I used to do a bit of club racing here in the States until I was hurt fairly badly. Now I mostly drive a beat up old truck (though you might also catch me doing a bit of drag racing on the sly). It's a classic! My ICE consists of an AM/FM radio. My GF (who drives a BMW) thinks I'm a geek. She's right. Such is life.

BB

Diablo
21st August 2005, 07:16 PM
Hi Alexis and brownboyletamb... sorry I haven't posted sooner (been a bit lazy/busy lately...)

Alexis: Great to hear that interest in cars is also a girl's thing too :cool:

Is this your first car? I reckon there's nothing wrong with being "less than modest" about how you present your car. First cars are something that everybody has (or will have) sentimental memories of. It's perfectly understandable when people like to enter the driving realm making a bold, distinctive statement... perhaps it's a way of celebrating that newly-earned freedom :)

Have you actually had all that extra gear put in yourself, or was some of it contributed by previous owners? Was any of it done D.I.Y?

My fave cars would be along the lines of the latest Mazdas (Miatas) - preferably a 2003/04 MX-5, or a Subaru WRX Sti ('98 or '99 model....I hate the bug-eyes of the '00-'02's, and the upcoming 2006 one looks shocking!!)

Sounds cool; got a thing for smaller sports cars, I presume? ;)

It's annoying how some car manufacturers come up with really good styling, then proceed to mess it up and make it all fugly... In my opinion, the Ford AU Falcon (1998) and Mitsubishi TL Magna (2003) are some more examples of that... I liked their predecessor's styling more (although the new BA Falcon is much better).

As for myself...

I'm more of a large car person. Rear-wheel-drive 6cyl/8cyl cars, such as Holden Commodore and Ford Falcon (and also Nissan Skyline to some extent) are up my alley... strong low-end torque, deep engine/exhaust roar, purring along highways, and also lots of fun when accelerating on bends (just don't lose traction!).

Currently I own/drive a 1995 Holden VS Commodore (my first car, too!). It's pretty much pristine-looking on the outside, except for some 17" VY SS rims. Engine-wise, it's just a V6 (keeps the insurance costs down... being male and under 25 really sucks!). It's also 5-speed manual, which is pretty rare to find on these cars (fun to drive, fetches some more $$$ in resale). Usual mods: 2.5" exhaust (nice subtle exhaust note), dual cat, heavy-duty clutch (requires strong left foot!). Thinking of putting on cold-air induction and extractors soon. I've been meaning to buy a digital camera so I can take photos of it.

Entertainment-wise, it's only got the factory deck & speakers... I'm more of a FM radio person, and I prefer not to subject every other road user to excessively load "doof doof" (though I'm sure the bug will eventually bite!). I had some plans a few years ago to actually D.I.Y-build a computer-based MP3 in-car music player (being a software engineer and electronics whiz)... not sure if that will be getting under way soon, given you can easily buy systems like that now (but what about the satisfaction of "I did it myself"?). Have done some electrical D.I.Y. work on my car (troubleshooting and installing radio), but eventually plan to learn more at some stage.

I'm fortunate enough not to have had any accidents so far *touches wood*, but have had several near misses (I guess having ABS and defensive driver training has helped a bit...). Had to replace all four tyres recently (ouch... performance tyres cost a small fortune!), since previous owner had put on some poor quality remoulds that started falling apart with still 70% tread left. But at least all the mechanicals are still running mint...

As for my future cars... thinking of something with a V8 in it (perhaps HSV Clubsport, Monaro, Falcon XR8, etc), though it'd probably have to be a "weekend warrior" if fuel prices continue the way they are. In about 10-15yrs time I envision myself probably having a large size garage, with a D.I.Y. hotrod or two being worked on inside.

Anyways, that's enough from me for now... thanks for your time, Alexis, hope to hear from you soon :)

Pixies
22nd August 2005, 03:27 AM
Actually I am Jag and Land Rover mechanic. I know all about driving fast cars and luxury cars and a few off road as well.

All though since I am moving to Adelaide in December, I would love to get a Ford Falcon sport Ute as my first car. I dont care if its a six or an eight. Just a Ute. They stopped making them back in the late seventies early eighties in America.

I like Aussie cars. Much more horsepower then American cars and better designs.

Although I have to get used to driving on the right side of the road for once. Not the wrong side.

Alexis
22nd August 2005, 03:59 AM
So I'll just ask what kind of Hyundai? There are some that actually go fast, you know!

One that goes slow :)

I'm assuming you get Japanese-spec cars over there, right? And didn't Susie have a Miata once?

There are many imported J-spec cars around here as well as a few straight off the production line. Plenty of skylines, 180/200sx's, and the occasional US import such as a Mustang.

If you're into the old skool WRX then I'm assuming you're into WRC? Have you ever been to see (or have you driven) rally races in Oz? I can picture it now - you in blue and gold Subaru nomex (looking fierce), on the winner's podium along with your stunned Finnish co-driver and a bevy of Michelin girls.. :)

Yep, I love WRC - but have never been to one. I was absolutely shattered when the news came of Possum Bourne's death a few years back. :( Would love to give it a go sometime.

I also notice you mention a wreck.. I used to do a bit of club racing here in the States until I was hurt fairly badly. Now I mostly drive a beat up old truck (though you might also catch me doing a bit of drag racing on the sly). It's a classic! My ICE consists of an AM/FM radio. My GF (who drives a BMW) thinks I'm a geek. She's right. Such is life.

awww, poor you! Better now, I hope!

Men and their trucks.....or was that boys and their toys?.... inseperable, it seems.

Alexis
22nd August 2005, 04:17 AM
Is this your first car? I reckon there's nothing wrong with being "less than modest" about how you present your car. First cars are something that everybody has (or will have) sentimental memories of. It's perfectly understandable when people like to enter the driving realm making a bold, distinctive statement... perhaps it's a way of celebrating that newly-earned freedom.

Third, actually! I used to own a 4WD Subaru Leone sportswagon and it was a great little car (only sold it due to too much rust forming around the panels - you can only use SO much filler and spot-welded sheet metal). It was on gas -- only cost AU$20 to fill it and it lasted about 500kms!

I also owned a Suzuki Mightyboy (remember the novelty midget utes that were an icon in Japan?) as a project car but had to sell it when I moved house. 3 cylinders of RAW, UNTAMED POWER!!! hehe.

I wish I'd never gotten rid of either of them. *sigh*

Have you actually had all that extra gear put in yourself, or was some of it contributed by previous owners? Was any of it done D.I.Y?

I do 90% of the car modifications myself and I also service my own vehicles. *toots own horn*

As far as the Hyundai goes, I installed everything but the wheels as they needed to be balanced!

Sounds cool; got a thing for smaller sports cars, I presume?

It's annoying how some car manufacturers come up with really good styling, then proceed to mess it up and make it all fugly... In my opinion, the Ford AU Falcon (1998) and Mitsubishi TL Magna (2003) are some more examples of that... I liked their predecessor's styling more (although the new BA Falcon is much better).

I have now. It used to be a 4WD thing. When I purchased the current car, I had a choice between that and a little Suzuki Vitara! Not sure which I should've chosen..

Oh, the AU's were terrible weren't they? Such sad, droopy 'eyes' of headlights. Still, they're cheap to buy if you want a car with the works and you don't mind the styling!

The old Magnas (and also every Toyota Camry) just couldn't get it right either. Even the Ralliart ones looked rather odd.

I'm more of a large car person. Rear-wheel-drive 6cyl/8cyl cars, such as Holden Commodore and Ford Falcon (and also Nissan Skyline to some extent) are up my alley... strong low-end torque, deep engine/exhaust roar, purring along highways, and also lots of fun when accelerating on bends (just don't lose traction!).

Currently I own/drive a 1995 Holden VS Commodore (my first car, too!). It's pretty much pristine-looking on the outside, except for some 17" VY SS rims. Engine-wise, it's just a V6 (keeps the insurance costs down... being male and under 25 really sucks!). It's also 5-speed manual, which is pretty rare to find on these cars (fun to drive, fetches some more $$$ in resale). Usual mods: 2.5" exhaust (nice subtle exhaust note), dual cat, heavy-duty clutch (requires strong left foot!). Thinking of putting on cold-air induction and extractors soon. I've been meaning to buy a digital camera so I can take photos of it.

If I had the choice I would've gone for rear-wheel drive, but at the time of purchase (about 3 years ago) I wasn't so clued up on that. MX5's are rear-wheel thankfully!

I learnt to drive partly in a Toyota Landcruiser Troop-carrier with extractors..... vrrOOOOMMM. My Subaru had a heavy-duty clutch also so I know how that feels!! It's even worse when you snap a clutch cable and have to angel-gear it (in the main street of town, too...)

Entertainment-wise, it's only got the factory deck & speakers...

Aww! That's okay, car manufacturers are getting a lot better at putting decent sound systems in cars the first time around (ignoring the dodgy Pioneer speakers in early Falcons). An MP3 system would definitely be easy to make -- one old laptop (with the ability to play music when the screen is shut), power inverter, numerical keypad (about $10 on auction websites if you're lucky) to change tracks and a good ventilation system. Plenty of how-to's online.

I'm fortunate enough not to have had any accidents so far *touches wood*, but have had several near misses (I guess having ABS and defensive driver training has helped a bit...). Had to replace all four tyres recently (ouch... performance tyres cost a small fortune!), since previous owner had put on some poor quality remoulds that started falling apart with still 70% tread left. But at least all the mechanicals are still running mint...

I'm dreading replacing the 17's when the time comes. The crowd that I got them through were originally going to put remoulds on there but I've seen far too many blow out for my liking! And yes, as long as the engine is A1.... not so big a drama :)

Phew!

alleyes1
22nd August 2005, 08:27 AM
Alexis, although the red is a little much, this was my favorite car. A 1969 Pontiac GTO.
This will show my age.:o

Specs:
400 cubic inch V8 Ram Air IV, four speed

0 to 60 mph . . . . 6.2 sec.
Standing 1/4 mile . . . .14.45 sec. @ 97.8 mph
Performance testing: 7.8 MPG
Normal: 9 to 11 MPG

400 cubic inch V8 Ram Air IV

* 370 hp
* Rochester Quadrajet carburetor
* Air Conditioning not available

brownboyletamb
22nd August 2005, 08:55 AM
See, Alexis? All we needed was a little pump-priming to get this thread going.. Nothing sexier than a girl who can hack computers AND tune her own car. Can you weld? That'd make you perfect! ;)

Yep, I love WRC - but have never been to one. I was absolutely shattered when the news came of Possum Bourne's death a few years back. :( Would love to give it a go sometime.
Well, I had fun.. Until I rolled my car..

I would love to take a year off and just follow the WRC around like a Deadhead. It would also give me a good reason to go to Oz and NZ.. I've been to lots of club rally events here in the US, but the culture isn't the same. I'd love to be part of a crowd of real WRC fans and soak up all that.. uh.. atmosphere.. I've been to Pike's Peak Hillclimb (probably the closest thing to WRC in the US), and while it was breathtaking it's not exactly Monaco, if you know what I mean.

awww, poor you! Better now, I hope!
Oh yeah, that was years ago. Though my GF says I must still have lingering brain-damage.. I probably shouldn't be doing anything involved with motorsports now, but once you get into competitive racing it's kinda hard to quit. I don't do the rally stuff anymore though. Too old. Now I just go fast in a straight line. That's enough excitement for me, LOL. Lots of good drag racers coming out of Australia now, and a lot of women too. Ever go? You should try it; it's a rush.

Men and their trucks.....or was that boys and their toys?.... inseperable, it seems.
Well, let's put it this way, it's easier to make out in the back of my truck. :)

BB

ps How 'bout a pic of you with your ride?

Diablo
22nd August 2005, 09:01 AM
One that goes slow

Hmmm... does it Excel at going slow? ;)

I do 90% of the car modifications myself and I also service my own vehicles. *toots own horn*

As far as the Hyundai goes, I installed everything but the wheels as they needed to be balanced!

Awesome! Did you teach yourself all this, or was it through some form of training/education?

I've got a long-term goal of learning how to do most of the work myself... helps avoid dodgy mechanics and high labour costs. Slowly building up a D.I.Y. home-mechanic garage (got a medium-range toolbox at the moment). My car also has unusually low mileage for its age (138,000kms, had to pay fair $$$ for it), I'm also fairly dependant on it (30min drive into uni), so I'm a bit hesitant to play with things... but I'll soon build up the confidence... :)

I also owned a Suzuki Mightyboy (remember the novelty midget utes that were an icon in Japan?) as a project car but had to sell it when I moved house. 3 cylinders of RAW, UNTAMED POWER!!! hehe.

With the right mods, it could make an amusing and cool street sleeper. I know of someone who has a project car (early-90's Corolla liftback with supercharger, but exterior looks bog standard)... he often gets idiots mocking him "can't afford your own car... have to race ya mum's, eh?"... they often receive an unexpected surprise when they try racing him from the lights :D

hotdawg
22nd August 2005, 10:25 AM
It has 17" rims (originally 13's), .....
I hate to be the ***hole from a car club to spoil all the fun with legalities but did you get those rims engineered? You must be driving on a damn elastic band for rubber.

Anywho be sure to avoid the cops with those 17's...... :D

Hotdawg

glider
22nd August 2005, 05:54 PM
Just curious. As the price of gasoline now exceeds $2.50us (per gallon) in America, I was wondering what the price per litre is in Australia. I ahve contemplated travelling to Sydney, renting a car and driving across the country to WA and back up to Uluru. Will I have to mortgage my soul?

Sprocket
22nd August 2005, 11:35 PM
Heya all :D

Wow, im disgusted at myself for not seeing this car thread earlier!!
Im very very very very into cars!!

I drive a modified Mazda MX6 turbo everyday (3" turbo back exhaust, more boost, air filter, rebuilt turbo, lowered King springs, KYB shocks). it also has a pretty tidy audio install care of a good mate who is the current australian SQ (Sound Quality) champ. Two 10 subs in the boot all boxed up, front PPI splits and crossover, JVC MP3 headunit, one 2x360W amp for the subs, 2x40W Rockford Fosgate punch amp for the front splits. It amplifies my taste for the heavy basslines in my drum and bass/old skool rave music collection!!

My weekend car is a Mazda RX3 sedan. yes its a rotary and it does go "brap brap brap". Nearly everything on it is custom, from the German paint and the NZ built race motor to the detail work in the enginebay and custom shocks. I have built her myself from the ground up, taken me close to 5yrs to date and she still isnt finished/driving!! Its built for show and go. I have already been offered a magazine shoot and cant wait to thrash the hell out of it on a racetrack (drag and circuit)!! I could have bought a brand new Suby WRX for the amount of money i have thrown into my baby.... Sad isnt it....

I have 2 businesses that cater for the modified car scene and have had my work on the front cover of every modified car magazine in Oz and on the car that won the two biggest modified car awards in Australia (Summernats grand champion and Meguiars MotorEx champion). Im a metal polisher (among other things), so all the chrome and polished engines ya see on hotrods and harleys, thats what i do ;)

GLIDER!!
Our petrol prices in Sydney have been hovering around $1.20(AUD)/litre for standard unleaded fuel.

Sorry if i talked too much, cars get me excitied!! :o
Ill be quite now....

Mark!!

mothra
23rd August 2005, 08:33 AM
1990 VW Corrado G60
1.91L Lysholm twin-screw supercharged @ 22psi. (Insane low end and instant throttle response) Muahaha!
17" wheels, Brembo cross drilled rotors. SS brake lines, upgraded the front brake calipers from single piston to double.
Anti-sway bars. Neuspeed sport springs. Home made Cro-moly strut tower braces

Just rebuilt the motor with custom forged pistons, everything balanced, lightened flywheel(not too light) All ARP studs 'n bolts.
Replaced the stock 8v head with a ported and polished 16v head
Quaife limited slip differential for the front wheel drive:o
Working on mounting a slightly larger front mount intercooler, stock one is puny and hidden in the back of the engine compartment. Procrastinating on fabricating DIY Kevlar intercooler plumbing. (kevlar dampens noise and my supercharger is too noisy)

Home made 2.5" SS exhast system.

Hasn't yet run with all the latest modifications so I have no fruits of my labor yet:(
Draggin' my butt on a carbon fiber rear spoiler, just replacing the behemoth factory one with a far lighter one. Nearly done.
Eventually going to make a hood and as many body panels as I can out of carbon fiber. Just fer fun.

In the mean time, my daily driver is a Honda CBR F4i 600cc. Faster than this car will ever be and get's good fuel economy:D

hotdawg
23rd August 2005, 11:18 AM
1990 VW Corrado G60.....

My ride....1997 Nissan Premier hotted up with :

*Suspension:
- Lowered all round on King Springs.
- KYB Excel-g S2 shocker all round

Body mods
- Replacement Stillen bodykit allround (no rear wing)
- Newstyle Eyelids
interior
- Blue Emtech dials
- Recaro style front racing seats.

*Wheels, Tyres
- Chrome locknuts
- Hankook 'Ventus Sport' 205/40/R17 silica tyres

Extras
- Blue-painted front calipers.
- Blue Headlight globes.

my girlfirend says I spend to much money on the car........wonder why?:D

presto
23rd August 2005, 11:53 AM
ok all you people and your fancy detals on your cars makes me wanna go out and kick my craptacular 91 dodge colt....

artlover
23rd August 2005, 04:05 PM
"Craptacular"--what a great word. May I steal it? I drive a 92 Mercury Topaz, which has given me many miles with low maintenance, but I am under no illusions as to its coolness. Please don't tell anyone it's my mother's car.

The odds of me owning/driving one are next to nothing, but I have always admired the beauty of the Studebaker Avanti from the 60s.

presto
23rd August 2005, 04:22 PM
"Craptacular"--what a great word. May I steal it?
to behonest I ripped it off from the Simpsons, so the word is far game,use it at will Art.
infact when I write a book on my life story, I think Craptacular will be the name of my "dating" chapter, jesus what a horrible thing to go threw...I would rather get kicked over and over in the the happy sack by a 450lb gorlilla then to do the dating thing again.

Alexis
24th August 2005, 02:35 AM
Alexis, although the red is a little much, this was my favorite car. A 1969 Pontiac GTO.

Verrrrry nice. I'd have something like that for a project car these days, if only I had the room.

Can you weld? That'd make you perfect!

I can do a rather crappy job with a MIG, but that's about it! Best to leave that one to someone who is actually talented at it ;)

Awesome! Did you teach yourself all this, or was it through some form of training/education?

Self taught, with some assistance from my father and my stepfather. I did look at doing some sort of formal education, but there are so many other things I want to learn...

(Yes, you were pretty right with your assumption too - but I was trying to avoid the topic!)

I hate to be the ***hole from a car club to spoil all the fun with legalities but did you get those rims engineered? You must be driving on a damn elastic band for rubber.

210's, to be exact! The 235mm tyres didn't fit. It's borderline on legal, but I don't really do anything stupid on the roads (anymore) so I don't have much of a problem unless I try to drive over rough train tracks...

I have 2 businesses that cater for the modified car scene and have had my work on the front cover of every modified car magazine in Oz and on the car that won the two biggest modified car awards in Australia (Summernats grand champion and Meguiars MotorEx champion). Im a metal polisher (among other things), so all the chrome and polished engines ya see on hotrods and harleys, thats what i do

Do you have a website of some sort?? I'd absolutely love to check it out!

Draggin' my butt on a carbon fiber rear spoiler, just replacing the behemoth factory one with a far lighter one. Nearly done.

I have 15 metres of automotive fibreglass sitting at home for a similar purpose... might use it to re-mould all interior plastic trims instead (think nice, smooth, light blue A-pillars with a few gauge housings either side). That's once I get over the awful sensation of fibreglass wedged in my hands.

- Hankook 'Ventus Sport' 205/40/R17 silica tyres

205's, wow! I'm guessing about 6.5" wide rims?

Alexis
24th August 2005, 02:38 AM
Back in her glory days before getting smashed (so to speak)....

mothra
24th August 2005, 08:08 AM
Originally Posted by hotdawg

210's, to be exact! The 235mm tyres didn't fit. It's borderline on legal, but I don't really do anything stupid on the roads (anymore) so I don't have much of a problem unless I try to drive over rough train tracks...

What's all this engineering/legalities business?
They have funny laws about wheels down there?
~M

Alexis
24th August 2005, 08:17 AM
We have laws with regard to the space from the wheels to the guards and also the width of the wheel (as in, not protruding further than the upper wheel arch/guard). There are also certain 'grey areas' with regard to the size of the new wheel vs. factory standard sizes (might struggle to obtain a certificate of roadworthiness).

Some would argue that you can flare out your guards to allow for the wheel width and thus maintain a roadworthy status, however I reckon you'd just be attracting more unwanted attention from the police ;)

Alexis
24th August 2005, 08:19 AM
Oh, I forgot to add the laws about vehicle height from the ground. Not sure what the exact measurement is (it's around 3-5 inches), but who'd want their ride THAT low anyhow?

hotdawg
24th August 2005, 12:52 PM
205's, wow! I'm guessing about 6.5" wide rims?
7" to be exact.....:D

Hotdawg

artlover
24th August 2005, 03:41 PM
Alexis, here in the US of A we have several reality shoes about people who customize cars and motorcycles. Sounds like a good line of work for you. I love the pic of your front end. (Wait, I could have phrased that better... :) ). Does your fiancee share your love of things automotive?

alleyes1
24th August 2005, 05:32 PM
we have several reality shoes about people :D

"alleyes chuckles quitely"

Alexis, actually Artlover is mimicking Ed Sullivan, "Weve got a really big shoe, tonight". :D

Alleyes

Alexis
25th August 2005, 12:22 AM
Alexis, here in the US of A we have several reality shoes about people who customize cars and motorcycles. Sounds like a good line of work for you. I love the pic of your front end. (Wait, I could have phrased that better... :) ). Does your fiancee share your love of things automotive?

Yeah, I've seen a few trailers for some of those 'shoes' ;)

To work in that industry would be an absolute dream!! I have thought several times about making my own decals etc. for vehicles as a start....but I need to get the printer/cutter first, so until I can afford a good one those plans are on hold.

Eventually I could see myself working with fibreglass, carbon fibre, aftermarket lighting, custom spray painting and even basic airbrushing (flames, etc)... maybe one day... very hard to get a leg-up into that sort of industry given the amount of guys that want to be there ;)

The fiancé does share the love, yes. He's big into car audio...not so much 'doof doof' as SQ (sound quality) setups.

Alexis
25th August 2005, 12:23 AM
Oh, hotdawg -- the guy from Newstyle is custom-making eyelids for my car :)

artlover
25th August 2005, 12:55 AM
thank you for that generous explanation, 'eyes. Sounds better than "brain fart". :)

Sprocket
25th August 2005, 02:18 AM
Heya there ALEXIS!!

I have two sites currently alive.
One is Urbanthredz.com (http://www.urbanthredz.com/), its an online "underground" clothing store based in Australia. Theres also a real basic bio on my music preferences in there if you get real bored!! Hehehee

The other is OzDnB.com (http://www.ozdnb.com/), thats an austra wide drum'n'bass forum. Drum and bass music is like jungle, if ya cant recognise that, imagine one of those "bass mechanic" CDs the dudes with big car systems play to thrash their subs to hell and back, thats kinda jungle.

Here are some pics of work that i did while metal polishing under my own business:

This gearbox took me nearly 2 weeks of solid work to do, it cost more than the gearbox itself for my polishing efforts!! BUT this, along with the rest of my work on the car, won the owner the 2 most prestegious car awards in Australia last year (Summernats Grand Champion and Meguiars MotorEx Champion, the car was a two tone green XP falcon, used to be the gold XP351 built by the Hillier Brothers).
http://www.urbanthredz.com/other/box1.jpg
http://www.urbanthredz.com/other/box2.jpg
Here is some work i did for a Honda Integra with AROUSN numberplates.
http://www.urbanthredz.com/other/arousn1.jpg
http://www.urbanthredz.com/other/arousn2.jpg
A centrifugal supercharger i did for a BMW M3:
http://www.urbanthredz.com/other/bmwblower.jpg
A US made quad throttle manifold for a 13B turbo:
http://www.urbanthredz.com/other/jaytech1.jpg
http://www.urbanthredz.com/other/jaytech2.jpg
A R32 GTR Skyline with some big horsepower and the plates ALLSET:
http://www.urbanthredz.com/other/allset1.jpg
http://www.urbanthredz.com/other/allset2.jpg

There are a bazillion more pics i have but i dont want to bore anyone.
BTW, all those components are polished aluminium NOT chrome plated.

Just one more :D
http://www.urbanthredz.com/other/smlgod1.jpg
My baby. 1974 Mazda RX3 sedan. As mentioned, most of the stuff on her is custom. Its a road registerable racecar that might bring me a trophy or two for show. She has progressed a bit more than those pics, its getting a pretty serious suspension setup jammed under her now and were moving the motor back a bit.
I dont want to show my everyday car, it needs some 17s real bad!!

Anyways, hope i havent bored anyone, seems we have a few people in here that know their car stuff, niiiice!! I feel right at home now!!

Mark :D
PS: Alexis, you mentioned your fiance is into SQ. A very good friend of mine is the current CAA SQ street class champion, scarrily enough there may be a crazy connection here!! Heheheee

Sprocket
25th August 2005, 02:28 AM
Oh yeah, in NSW you cant have any part of your car lower than 100mm (4") apart from wheels obviously....
Wheels must retain rolling diameter within a specified amount from standard (not much room to play at all)....
Exhaust level must be within 92db at 1m (3ft) from your exhaust tip at a 45degree angle....
Most decent engine upgrades need an engineers certificate....
No rollcages past the B pillar (half cages only) and renders any car a 2 seater....
Man we got some crappy rules... And yes they do get exercised often!!

And ALEXIS, if you do want to run flared guards for wider tyres, they will probably try and nab you for exceeding the factory track of the car without and engineers certificate!! (to the non-aussies, if we modify our cars well beyond factory specs we need an automotive engineer check and sign the car off to make sure its roadworthy)

Mark :P

Alexis
25th August 2005, 04:25 AM
Hehe, agreed Sprocket.

I'm fine in my hometown though - with local officers in my family, and the fact that I used to work the midnight shift in a supermarket across the road from them ("would you like some cash out with that donut, sir?") means that I've built up quite a rapport with them.

They even pulled me over once just after I'd had the crash (and therefore had a seriously beaten up ride), walked up to my window.... and promptly said "oh sh*t, it's just you! have a good night!".

Not going to get too cocky though! :D

mothra
25th August 2005, 05:23 AM
Just how difficult is it to get this engineer inspection:rolleyes:
You all have some more draconian laws than in California.
We can have 95db, can't recall the distances and such. (unless you have a Harley motorcycle, then it can be as loud as you want for some reason?)
Wheels can be can be whatever will fit. Can't stick out the sides too much, body flares are ok.
Dunno about any ride hight limit, I guess if you are stupid enough to want to scrape on every undulation in the road, you are free to do so, hehe.
HAve to have all the smog emission equipment. And you have to pass a "visual inspection" when you reregister the car every year. So you are supposed to have all the stock equipment under the hood or exempt aftermarket stuff.
I think, who cares if you have 3 turbos and the head off a city bus on your car.....if it passes the smog emissions test, who cares what it "looks" like:mad:

*I think I attached some of my carbon fiber stuff. It's from my motorcycle, not a CAR:o

Sprocket
25th August 2005, 10:43 PM
ALEXIS!!

Damn, my local cops only know me and my mates as the guys with load cars. The older ones are cool, im not a smart ass to them and they treat me with some respect, we have a chat, they tell me my car is too loud/im driving too fast/they hard a burnout at 3am and im the only car driving in the suburb and they let me go. The younger ones though, they usually have the ego trip. They want to prove they have more power than me by talking crap and telling me that my radiator is an intercooler for my turbo. Funnily enough there is no turbo to be seen even though my exhaust is in full sight?!?! Sure Mr Police Orificer, turbo, suuuure.... Anyways.... i might add that not all cops are pricks, some are pretty cool, some are real pricks, ive had both extremes of the spectrum.

MOTHRA!!
OK, well an engineers report is needed if you modify anything alot from standard. So any upgrade motor swap needs it, wild suspension, drivetrain swaps, seat modifications (chopping rails or making aftermarket seats fit on custom rails) etc
I understand they are there for a reason, it does stop a few idiots throwing an 800hp, methanol sucking, 400cubic inch, all alloy, sprint car motor into a 700kg, 35yr old paddock basher for some fun (there was this once right.... heheheee).

Carbon fibre is porn too. LOVE it :) I got a mate who made me a few custom carbon bits for my good car. He is a composite junky, actually makes composite speedboat hulls and custom motorsport bits for a living, lucky bastard!!

Hope all are well :P

Mark!!
PS: I like cars, please keep talking people!! I have a car porn directory on my PC. Thats dedication....

ham
26th August 2005, 12:22 AM
othra; Don't understand the "visual" inspection as in 49 years I've never had one. Don't really understand Draconian laws as the only thing they worry about is smog equip in So Cal unless they stop you on the street. (most likely as an excuse for probable cause) One law we have that they don't enforce is BOOM BOXES. I wish that there were devices we could use to burn out these 10000 watt amps that wake me all night and make stop signs an audiable nightmare. I guess that's the penalty of living in Tiajuana North. LOL p/s We have a lot of laws and but very few enforced. Mostly they enforce the street drag laws as we have had just over 200 killed this year as a result of street drags in L.A. Orange county alone. Oz sounds GREAT!

Diablo
26th August 2005, 02:54 AM
ok all you people and your fancy detals on your cars makes me wanna go out and kick my craptacular 91 dodge colt....

Hey, it's never too late to start! Just fake a mid-life crisis, and go out and buy/finance/save up for that sporty roadster or cruiser that you've always wondered about owning... ;) :D

Diablo
26th August 2005, 03:24 AM
We have laws with regard to the space from the wheels to the guards and also the width of the wheel (as in, not protruding further than the upper wheel arch/guard). There are also certain 'grey areas' with regard to the size of the new wheel vs. factory standard sizes (might struggle to obtain a certificate of roadworthiness).

Some would argue that you can flare out your guards to allow for the wheel width and thus maintain a roadworthy status, however I reckon you'd just be attracting more unwanted attention from the police

Here in Western Australia, the laws are a bit more fun. We don't have roadworthiness certificates (RWC), so it's perfectly possible for someone to buy a new car and never get it inspected for its entire lifespan. Consequently it's a lot more tempting to test the limits (and see if you can get away with it)... although many people that usually do this also have an attitude problem that acts as a magnet for police (armed with yellow defect stickers!), and provides media ammunition.

Rim size limits over here is generally 1" more diameter than largest factory option (my VS is maxed out, since factory is 15" & 16"). Although many parts shops sell "replacement" tyre safety placards that simply state larger sizes than standard...

Oh, I forgot to add the laws about vehicle height from the ground. Not sure what the exact measurement is (it's around 3-5 inches), but who'd want their ride THAT low anyhow?

Usual rule-of-thumb (at least 'round here) is the "coke can rule", ie. you have to be able to place an upright soft drink can underneath the vehicle.

My car's at stock ride height because my local council put a stupid concrete "kerb extension" at the base of my driveway... every lowered car that enters always scrapes on that bit... :(

(Yes, you were pretty right with your assumption too - but I was trying to avoid the topic!)

Nothing wrong with owning one of those (think of the money you're saving in fuel costs!) ;) I've got a friend who drives a Sprint 2-door... cool thing about it is its turning circle (can do U-turns anywhere on the road without mounting the kerb, even away from intersections).

Back in her glory days before getting smashed (so to speak)....

Cool lighting setup... I've always wanted to see someone come up with an "eerie" lighting theme...

I'm fine in my hometown though - with local officers in my family, and the fact that I used to work the midnight shift in a supermarket across the road from them ("would you like some cash out with that donut, sir?") means that I've built up quite a rapport with them.

As the saying goes... "it's not what you know, but who you know" :)

brownboyletamb
26th August 2005, 08:50 AM
Aw, you guys all have pretty cars. :)

OK, two Oz questions (these will date me like alleyes' Judge).

1) Anyone have experience racing Aussie Hemis?

2) Is Mad Max as revered down under as it is in the States? Can't say I cared much for the sequels, but I loved the original. His mutt reminds me of Nelson. :(

BB

ps Cool Mazda, Sprocket! I live right next the Mazda here in SoCAL. I should drop by and show them that pic; they'd get a kick out of it.

Sprocket
26th August 2005, 09:33 AM
Heya BROWN!!

1. Nup, dont know much of Hemis sorry. Although i do know the 426 is a motor to contend with!!
2. Not really, Mad Max isnt crazy over here like i imagine it would be in the states. The poor young of today cop the "fast and the furious" style movies.... I cant actually think of a cult car movie in Oz?!?!

Glad ya like the RX3 man :)
If you do show them and your keen for more, i have some mates cars that are very very well presented, one is a completely original RX2 sedan, right down to hubcaps and whitewall tyres!! Another has a 20B motor from a new mazda cosmo, it has layed down 635 rear wheel horsepower on only 12psi boost. Thats in complete street trim, so full exhaust, street tyres, NON race fuel etc etc very fun car to be in :D

Mark!!

mothra
26th August 2005, 09:45 AM
Mothra; Don't understand the "visual" inspection as in 49 years I've never had one. The "visual inspection" is just the first thing the smog technician pretends to do before he puts the probe in yer tailpipe:) It's not some entirely different thing you have to have done.
My guess is, you've had a lot more visual inspections than you realize, muahaha.....
Some places are probably more strict than others. Individual smog shops as well as different cities.

All the engine related parts are supposed to be stock or California Air Resource Board certified.
I have a European intake manifold on my car, it comes stock over there. It is not CARB certified here. Does it cause more emissions, no. But my smog tech shouldn't let it pass.
If for some reason I was pulled over the day after I had a smog check and they were looking for illegal mods....the smog guy could be up the creek. It would probably take more than just a manifold to cause a problem, which I have:D

Also, I was sayin' Aus sounded harsher than over here. I don't think CAlifornia has ride height laws(I am sure it does but I have never ever heard about it) or wheel size laws, we get to emit a few more db than they do....and from what it looks like in tuner magazine ads, composite body parts are not legal in CA except hoods maybe.

Carbon fibre is porn too. LOVE it :) I got a mate who made me a few custom carbon bits for my good car. He is a composite junky, actually makes composite speedboat hulls and custom motorsport bits for a living, lucky bastard!!I'd like to "volunteer" at a place like that for a few hours a week so I can pillage the facilities:p

mothra
26th August 2005, 09:48 AM
Hehe, agreed Sprocket.

They even pulled me over once just after I'd had the crash (and therefore had a seriously beaten up ride), walked up to my window.... and promptly said "oh sh*t, it's just you! have a good night!".

Not going to get too cocky though! :D
Does being a cute girl help at all, ya think?:p

Alexis
26th August 2005, 10:52 AM
Aww....maybe! You're a sweetie ;)

No, Mad Max was never as popular here as it was overseas -- still a classic though, and many homes still manage to have a copy that they've taped from the TV at some stage.

Down here the EPA (environmental protection authority) are the enforcement when it comes to the volume of your vehicle - exhaust note, subwoofer or otherwise! I can't remember what their limit is....but it's around 90-100 dB if I'm not mistaken (help me out here, guys!).

I've not got much to worry about as my exhaust has a non-removable baffle and the audio system ain't THAT loud (two clarion splits and a 10" kicker sub).

And as far as Australia being harsher...well...depends on the police and your attitude towards them ;)

Sprocket
27th August 2005, 04:03 AM
Down here the EPA (environmental protection authority) are the enforcement when it comes to the volume of your vehicle - exhaust note, subwoofer or otherwise! I can't remember what their limit is....but it's around 90-100 dB if I'm not mistaken (help me out here, guys!).
Heya ALEXIS :)

Most cars are 92db, 1metre (3ft) from the exhaust tip at a 45 degree angle to the side. Older cars pre-70 something have a 96db limit at the same distance.
As for the stereo install the police CAN bust you if they PERSONALLY think the sound of the car is too loud, whether it be from the exhaust, the engine (intake noise or toothed belt drive) or audio system. Its a pretty crap rule coz its upto the attitude of the cop. No noise limits, no testing required, if they THINK its too loud, they can send you to the RTA (Roads and Traffic Authority) to be cleared of the defect, this costs jusy under $100AUD from memory (i havent been done for a while).
Thats the laws in NSW anyways, other states are a tad more leniant from what ive seen, but either way it still sucks!!

For the non rotor guys, try driving a car that idles above 2000rpm (bridgeport), has twin 50mm throttle bodies (loud as), a very free flowing exhaust where the smallest restriction is 3" (very loud), a ceramic clutch that is either on or off (nothing in between), a gilmer drive (toothed alternator/water pump drive belt, similar to a supercharger belt, but a tad thinner) and a full spool/locked diff centre.... It is great for the track, but trying to do a hill start in the wet in front of a police car isnt my idea of a fun night out!! hahahaaaaa Just let the clutch out, feathered the throttle, let the tyres try and do their job and hope the cop isnt a prick. When they went past us the cops just laughed at us and kept going, so we gave them a wave for being nice!!

Pixies
27th August 2005, 04:04 AM
As an automotive technician I cant see for the life of me why people want to get into our industry.
Of course sometimes I wonder why I joined.

If you like being dirty and being a glutton for punishment and gettting abused then go for it.

Just remember tools arent cheap and a you will be getting as many as possible for a very long time.

and I work on Land Rovers and Jaguars and trust me I know fast cars and loud systems.

We also share space with a Mercedes dealer and BMW and honda place.
We are all under the same name.

I see M5s, AMG SLks, and S2000 not to mention alot of older classics cars as well.

I especially like the old XJ V12 from the late eighties.

brownboyletamb
28th August 2005, 05:32 AM
As an automotive technician I cant see for the life of me why people want to get into our industry.

This reminds me of a quote by fingerstyle guitarist Ed Gerhard (from Tim Brooke's "Guitar, An American Life"):

"I took up the guitar to attract girls and I've ended up discussing my fingernails with middle-aged men."

LOL

All right, NOW you're making me feel old. :(

BB

ps This (http://www.valiant.org/nz.html) is what I was talking about when I mentioned Aussie Hemis.. Guess I need to talk to your dads! :) Alexis? Your dad ever hear of these? Or, perhaps, Vid Dude?

mothra
28th August 2005, 06:46 AM
I don't want to work on OTHER people's cars...just mine!

I does make you feel like a masochist at times ;-)

Once I was trying to undo a seriously seized bolt with a wrench and a long piece of pipe.
I tried here and there for a day as often as my frustration level would allow. Finally on the 2nd day it just let loose as easy as you please...then my hand jambed into something and tore my fingernail off. Makes you glad you are saving money by working on it yerself:)

Aussie hemi looks like a nice fuel economy car!

Sprocket
28th August 2005, 08:09 AM
Heya there PIXIES!!
In Oz there are a fair few XJs running the local V8 308 motors, from memory they are pretty cheap too.

Heya BROWNBOY!!
I have a mate with a Val Charger. Actually he has a few of them!! Hes building one nice one out of them "eventually"
They are OK, not my thing though. I remember the "Dukes Of Hazard" :D
heheheee

Mark :P

Pixies
28th August 2005, 04:17 PM
I heard of an engine swap with the old 308s

I prefer the roadrunner and the dodge dart with the hemi.

Although the utes are so cool.

I want one.

Alexis
30th August 2005, 05:05 AM
Of course sometimes I wonder why I joined.

If you like being dirty and being a glutton for punishment and gettting abused then go for it.

If you saw my current job, you'd realise that I already fill all three requirements :P

Just remember tools arent cheap and a you will be getting as many as possible for a very long time.

and I work on Land Rovers and Jaguars and trust me I know fast cars and loud systems.

We also share space with a Mercedes dealer and BMW and honda place.
We are all under the same name.

I see M5s, AMG SLks, and S2000 not to mention alot of older classics cars as well.

Yet in your same post, you gave reasoning as to WHY people want to get into the industry - to work on automotive art (classic cars)! Besides....if no-one wanted to get an automotive job, we'd be in a bit of a pickle. ;)

And brownboyletamb.... yep I'd personally heard of them, I had to look at the picture to get the image back in my head though :) They'd be a great vehicle to have as a weekend car...

Pixies
31st August 2005, 12:29 PM
yes everybody would be in a pickel but they still hate us for our prices.

Trust me I know doctors get it the same way.

mothra
2nd September 2005, 07:21 AM
yes everybody would be in a pickel but they still hate us for our prices.

Trust me I know doctors get it the same way.No one wants to pay for either of those things.
You go to drs. and mechanics when you are SCREWED! Who wants to pay for that stuff.
It's only fun to pay for shiny new things.:)
A + B = C!
http://img389.imageshack.us/img389/5833/a1jw.jpghttp://img389.imageshack.us/img389/6058/b4oa.jpg
http://img389.imageshack.us/img389/2261/c7nq.jpg

mothra
4th September 2005, 09:18 AM
Hey Sprocket,
When you polish aluminum stuffs, do you seal it with something?

I polished my throttle body and it got some corrosion after it rained. I don't wanna be polishing stuff all the time!

~Mothra

Philos
4th September 2005, 09:48 AM
I can see that all you car nuts love your sporty machines. Good on you. Would you like to see what I drove when I was your age? It was identical to the one shown below. When new, they cost £110. I bought mine from a scrapyard for £30 (a whole term's student grant) when It was 25 years old. If I still had it, it would now be 75 years old and worth £10,000 (sigh).

Luxman
4th September 2005, 09:58 AM
Can't help, but looking at your post I thought at this:

Lxm

Philos
4th September 2005, 10:05 AM
LOL. I don't think mine would go as fast as Fred's

artlover
4th September 2005, 05:40 PM
My God, what a gorgeous machine (the car Philos showed us, not the Flintstone car--tho that is functional and perhaps beautiful). I also enjoyed the A + B picture. Bet that took a whole lotta duck tape. :D:D

Philos, is that dog standard equipment? :D

Philos
4th September 2005, 06:31 PM
My God, what a gorgeous machine (the car Philos showed us...)Well, they were very cute, but not very functional: 10hp engine, feeble brakes, awful roadholding, and designed to be driven by midgets. We used to fix all those defects on our cars, but nowadays to do so would remove their "historic" aspect. They are collector's items rather than practical transport. If you would like to buy that one and ship it home, it's for sale at www.classic-sportscar.co.uk (http://www.classic-sportscar.co.uk/) :) Dunno what the dog's doing there.

mothra
4th September 2005, 07:27 PM
That "Chummy" is pretty sweet!
Make a 1 piece carbon fibre body, twin turbos...WOOOOO! kiddin'

10hp, hehe, I'd like to see what sort of 1/4 mile time it could lay down at the drag strip :-)

I see it has had an hydraulic brake upgrade, did it used to use cables?

RE: the A+B car...I did the damn thing and I had to look at that pic for a while to remember how it was done, lol
AMAZING that it came together so well, everything lined up perfectly when it was finished! Must have had lots o luck.
Duct Tape is the tool of the gods!

artlover
4th September 2005, 09:17 PM
They are collector's items rather than practical transport.
Since I would never buy one unless I had a huge estate, I would drive it ever so slowly through the flat winding roads of my domain, and love every minute of it. Or my small chauffeurs would. :)

brownboyletamb
4th September 2005, 09:52 PM
This (http://www.chargerclubofwa.asn.au/MembersCars/Images/jtvh01.jpg) is even Abby's color! I would kill to have this car. The sidedraft Webers are too cool.. Hmm.. From the Charger Club of Western Australia.

BB

Pixies
4th September 2005, 11:07 PM
Chargers are nice. I always like the Plymouth Superbird with the high wing.

or here in Australia Ford made the SuperRoo.

http://www.fpv.com.au/index.asp?link_id=4.524

Sprocket
5th September 2005, 07:57 AM
Hey Sprocket,
When you polish aluminum stuffs, do you seal it with something?

I polished my throttle body and it got some corrosion after it rained. I don't wanna be polishing stuff all the time!

~MothraHeya MOTHRA!!

Nuh man, if you use any sealer itll dull the finish. Ive tried every product under the sun and nothing can do what i want. Your best bet is to keep polishing it with MOTHERS or MEGUIARS alloy polish :D
Thats the only way youll keep it smick looking, sorry!!

BROWNBOY
Thats a nice Charger, panels are reasonably straight too, wheels are very tidy :D

PHILOS!!
10Hp huh. On a good day that would turn my motor over!! Hahahaaa :D Thats very cool indeed!! I cant drive anything under 100Hp, they just wont overtake or do stuff like i want them too. anything over 400Hp for the street is useless, not saying 630 rear wheel Hp in a 1ton car isnt fun, but it kind of kills the traction theory even when its minitubbed and runs street slicks!!

mothra
7th September 2005, 06:37 AM
10Hp huh.Nothing like getting passed by a moped on an uphill;)

Bummer about the aluminum polish deal.

alleyes1
7th September 2005, 07:04 AM
This (http://www.chargerclubofwa.asn.au/MembersCars/Images/jtvh01.jpg) is even Abby's color! I would kill to have this car. The sidedraft Webers are too cool.. Hmm.. From the Charger Club of Western Australia.

Chargers are nice. I always like the Plymouth Superbird with the high wing.

or here in Australia Ford made the SuperRoo.

http://www.fpv.com.au/index.asp?link_id=4.524
brownboyletamb and Pixies, you're fav cars, as well as my fav, the 1969 Pontiac GTO, that I posted earlier in this thread, would all be formidable performance competitors. :D

Alleyes

brownboyletamb
7th September 2005, 09:03 AM
Sorry for not posting sooner, Alexis, but I'm still recovering from your IM video... You are HOT HOT HOT! Your fiance is a lucky guy.. And you look amazing. The look on your face is so intense! Can you remember what you were thinking about? Please tell me it wasn't cars.. And please tell me you're coming back for more.. :)

BB

ps I think you may have gotten a bum deal - having your vid go live at the same time as a major site announcement kinda steals your BBS thunder, you know? In any case, I thought it was tops, thanks.

pps hey alleyes.. I think a trip to the drags is in order.. I'd make some remark about kicking your ass with two less cylinders, but then we'd both get smoked by Sprocket's ro-Mazda, LOL.

Pixies
8th September 2005, 03:45 AM
As much as I love the 69 GTO, and its the only Gm product that I like we had a rare SType R come in.

Its 4.2DOHC with a supercharger.

And it seats four. and its fast.

oh its 390hp.

Although I have always wanted a Brabus E55Stationwagon. Its a MB tuner.

This puppy they call the grocery getter gets 530hp and has room for two car seats as well as groceries in the back.

of course my model would be styled to look like a base model diesel just to burn away the rice rockets.

alleyes1
8th September 2005, 03:54 AM
I was just wondering what the laws were in Australia concerning modifying engines. Back in "my younger days" here in the states it was quite common for young people to modify their engines and was really quite easy to do with the simplicity of the cars back then.

Then in the early '70s sometime, I don't recall exactly, pollution control devices started appearing on cars and gradually cars started to get more complicated under the hood. I look under the hoods of the new cars now and just shake my head.

But to the point, the cars like the GTO, Chevy Nova SS and all of those was they came out of the show room with cool engines and then you could modify them so they would have even better perfromance. Now it's illegal to modify engines in the U.S. after a certain year. (I don't know what that is.) If you can find the older cars, you can still modify those, which makes them valuable to those whole are inclinde to do such things.

Alleyes

mothra
8th September 2005, 04:46 AM
1974 maybe 75 now...is the oldest car that must be smogged.
So you aren't supposed to monkey with the emissions equipment on those.

IF a company has jumped through all the hoops with the goverment and paid $$, you can buy their performance parts for your car, legally. Intakes, headers, turbo kits etc....

Suping up old-school muscle cars sure is a lot cheaper! And they have SOOO much room in the engine compartment, geez!

alleyes1
8th September 2005, 05:27 AM
I didn't know that I knew that they had stopped it at some point. I don't know what it is, but I know when I was in high school, there were alot kids that had cars that could beat almost anything out there that I see now. Maybe kids just arean't interested like they were. Maybe it's more expensive, at that time there was a pretty big cottage industry for just parts, does that still exists?

An interesting story, when I was in college, I had a roomate who was a car nut, and he had a 1968 Mustang. He took that motor out and put it back in so many times, I never knew what he was doing. His father was a propane gas dealer in his small hometown a couple of hours away. He rigged that mustang with a propane tank in the trunk. He put a switch on the dash, and when the motor started chugging out of gas, he could flip that switch and it would automatically start running on the propane. Obviously, he filled up the propane tank at his dad's business. Unfortunately, my friend later died of cancer.

Alleyes

mothra
8th September 2005, 07:29 AM
Domestic (USA) speed parts are abundant and CHEAP compared to import stuff. All the car catalogs have stuff for Chevy's n Fords..with multiple manufacturers to choose from. :-(
I have a pretty obscure car and it cost$, not many people make parts for it.

I think it was easier in the "old days" to work on cars and certainly less expensive.
Bore out the cylinders...big carb, some headers, Not sure what else there is to do on those beasts?
You can spend a small or not so small fortune on 4-6 cyclinder cars trying wring out every bit of power. Gas mileage is better at least, hehe.

Didn't know a car would run on propane, how WELL did it run?

Sorry to hear about your friend's death...

alleyes1
8th September 2005, 07:41 AM
Keep in mind, I'm a car novice, so this isn't an expert opinion, but to be honest when it was on propane I don't remember telling any difference. One closing story about it, when my friend died, I lost track of things because I didn't really know his family. Keep in mind this was about 31 years ago when we were riding around.

About 10 years ago there was a big write up in our state paper about that car. When my friend died his parents put the car away in storage. I'm sure they kept the car in prestine condition because my friend, Steve, always kept it that way, inside and out. Anyway, 10 years ago the paper reported that Steve's parents had taken it out of storage, and had started taking it around the country to car shows. The write up was about all the awards that the car had gotten. When i read that I thought, "Damn, and that was the car Steve and I just bummed around in!!! :) Steve was a cool guy. I know he put up with a lot of shit from me!!! :D

Alleyes

ham
8th September 2005, 05:49 PM
Back in the 60s and 70 you could buy a gas/propane car /rv from dealers and they were fairly common. Knew a few people that had them and they liked the setup. Valves were a problem though. Common hopups included highlift valves, roller cams,hurst shifters, B@M hydro auto trannies, duel point distributers and of course modified ring gear. Trannies were often swapped for ratio for close or wide ratios.One popular gimmick was Lakes plugs (open exhaust from headers controlled with a hood release cable) Suspension and tyre mods also.There were really a lot of mods going on here in the U.S. If you go back a little further look at NASCAR which started from the bootleggers in the South.

Alexis
23rd June 2006, 02:50 AM
Ooookay, it's thread revival time and it seems I missed a stack of responses after I left some months ago! Most of them are about US vehicles, which admittedly I'm rather clueless about. The guy who resprayed my car recently has an old Plymouth Charger he imported from the US - has sprayed it a yellowy green colour, and is now hunting for beefy tyres to match. Not having much luck, either :(

To expand on my personal thread notes about my car being fixed... it has been painted Cherry Black, which is like a black/purple/burgundy paint all in one (it looks different depending on the level of light). It has Veilside-style front/rear bars and sideskirts, and it *did* have eyelids but one literally flew off when I was driving along a country road near home! I never found it despite walking some 6km alongside the road... d'oh.

The exhaust had to be totally modified to suit the rear bar. I had way too big a muffler, so that got chopped off and replaced with a smaller version that has a dump-pipe tip - this sticks through a hole in the rear bar mesh. The only downside to this is that I no longer have my incredibly loud VROOOOOM sound anymore, in fact it is barely different to the standard exhaust sound now! :( Ah well.

I'll post those car photos here within the next day or two. Its a wee bit too cold to leave the house at the moment ;)

-A!

greg_19uk
23rd June 2006, 09:26 AM
Here in Western Australia, the laws are a bit more fun. We don't have roadworthiness certificates (RWC), so it's perfectly possible for someone to buy a new car and never get it inspected for its entire lifespan.

That's mad! Here in the UK we have to get every car over 3 years old inspected every year! No inspection (MOT) certificate = no registration. I've noticed there's a lot of vehicles on the road in Aus that wouldn't be allowed over here - much less strict over there. But, if you get caught driving 1km/h over the limit they'll give you a ticket in Aus! Ironic...

Jemma
23rd June 2006, 04:55 PM
I got my very fisrt speeding ticket yesterday :(

$131! Not Spiggen Happy! It wasn't even my fault, my little car just has the heart of a race car. She has the spirit of Pharlap but she is trapped in the body of an 85 Gemini. Poor little thing!

Luxman
23rd June 2006, 05:53 PM
It wasn't even my fault, my little car just has the heart of a race car. She has the spirit of Pharlap but she is trapped in the body of an 85 Gemini. Poor little thing!

Haha!

Did you tell that the Police officer?

Lxm

Diablo
23rd June 2006, 07:44 PM
That's mad! Here in the UK we have to get every car over 3 years old inspected every year! No inspection (MOT) certificate = no registration. I've noticed there's a lot of vehicles on the road in Aus that wouldn't be allowed over here - much less strict over there.

Here in Perth, you do sometimes get the odd rust bucket crawling by, but most of the time, the police pull 'em over and issue yellow defect stickers (a work order that requires you to fix your car so it's roadworthy, and get it inspected at a licensing centre within two weeks, or you get your rego cancelled and have to hand in your plates). Same goes with illegal modifications (usually the people driving these things like to believe they're being singled out by police, but I think it's their attitude problem that attracts the attention).

But, if you get caught driving 1km/h over the limit they'll give you a ticket in Aus! Ironic...

As for speed limit enforcement... Victoria's police division usually stand out for this; I've heard they're really strict, and will penalise even +1km/h over. WA's police are a little more relaxed on this (the usual rule of thumb is 5-10% tolerance over), however they've copped a lot of flak lately over the positioning of the cameras (hiding them behind power poles, etc, or placing them away from black-spot intersections where they're needed the most... people always accuse the police/state government of "revenue raising"). We even had a guy who held up a cardboard sign on the side of the road saying "SPEED CAMERA", get hassled by police just for doing so... which makes you question their motives even more...

They've also developed a stealth speed camera that's disguised as a rubbish bin; it features two cameras, including a forward-facing one, that captures the rear numberplates of motorcyclists. Here in WA, and probably the rest of Australia, motorbikes only need a rear numberplate, and it's caused heaps of controversy because they've always been able to evade speeding fines due to being unidentifiable in the film footage.

I've never managed to attract a speeding fine so far *touches fake woodgrain dashboard*... damn thankful that Holden decided to include the Speed Alert (overspeed alarm) as standard equipment from the VR series II Commodore (1994) onwards... I use that thing all the time!

doinel
23rd June 2006, 09:46 PM
$131! Not Spiggen Happy! It wasn't even my fault, my little car just has the heart of a race car. She has the spirit of Pharlap but she is trapped in the body of an 85 Gemini. Poor little thing! Hey Jemma,
Pharlap, Gemini?:rolleyes: What brand is your sweet little Gemma? I never heard of these makes here in Europe. I suppose it's GM, right?

doinel

Diablo
23rd June 2006, 10:14 PM
doinel: You might know it better as the Opel Kadett. The Holden Gemini had the same body design, though I can't remember whether it shared the same engine (was it the GM Family-II 4cyl?).

A popular trend with Gemini enthusiasts here in Australia, is to stick a turbocharged 4cyl engine (not sure if a 6cyl or V8 motor will fit?) into the engine bay - gives you one heck of a street sleeper, with the power-to-weight ratio increase!

A lot of Holden's cars are derived or rebadged cars from other GM-owned companies. The only car that Holden builds from scratch is the Commodore (and derived models like the Statesman), although its body styling is lifted from the Opel Omega, and they mostly use GM-designed engines; the current VZ model comes with the GM Global V6 aka "Alloytec", and Chevrolet LS1/LS2 "Gen III/IV" V8, and my '95 VS has the Buick 3800 Series-II V6 motor.

Jemma: What series Gemini have you got? Is yours rear-wheel-drive or front-wheel-drive?

TowelBoy
23rd June 2006, 10:17 PM
Pharlap, Gemini?:rolleyes: What brand is your sweet little Gemma? I never heard of these makes here in Europe.
I suppose it's GM, right?

Doinel ... Phar Lap ... was a very famous race horse from the 1930s ( The Depression ) ... Please Look Here (http://www.museum.vic.gov.au/pharlap/museum/mn007397.asp?URL=http://www.museum.vic.gov.au/pharlap/museum/index.asp)
He is stuffed and mounted in a glass enclosed display at the Melbourne Museum.

A Gemini was part of the GM Holden range to 1987 replaced by the Astra.

The speeding ticket may have been from a Speed Camera ... so you don't know you got it until it arrives in the mail !
:)
TowelBoy

doinel
23rd June 2006, 10:33 PM
Hey Diablo and TB, many thanks to you guys! It's good to have friends down under to explain everything.:) Opel, Kadett and Astra are familiar names to me. And of Holden I read these days, that the new 6-cyl engine of Alfa Romeo (my fave car) has its origin in a Holden motor. That's what globalisation is all about (it's not always an improvement).

doinel

Luxman
23rd June 2006, 10:56 PM
...I read these days, that the new 6-cyl engine of Alfa Romeo (my fave car) has its origin in a Holden motor.

I heard it was based on an Opel engine. Anyway it's a GM engine.
For Alfa Romeo purists it's a sacrilege.

Lxm

Luxman
23rd June 2006, 11:01 PM
Pharlap, Gemini?:rolleyes: What brand is your sweet little Gemma? I never heard of these makes here in Europe. I suppose it's GM, right?

Closer information can be found in Jemma's thread.

Lxm

doinel
23rd June 2006, 11:38 PM
Hey Luxman,

you're quite right, it's a sacrilege. The following excerpt is from 'Auto, Motor und Sport', concerning the new Alfa 159 Sportwagon 3.2V6:

Der neue 3,2-Liter-V6 stammt zwar im Kern von der australischen GM-Tochter Holden, doch die Alfa-Ingenieure haben ihn nach Art des Hauses verfeinert. Den Gänsehaut-Effekt des legendären Vorgänger-Sechszylinders bietet der neue zwar nicht: Er hängt nicht so spontan am Gas, dreht nicht so gierig hoch, und seine Stimme ist längst nicht so rauchig. Aber er erledigt seinen Job ordentlich. Für den Sprint auf Tempo 100 braucht er fast eine Sekunde länger als im leichteren Brera, aber 7,4 Sekunden sind okay. 237 km/h Spitze auch. Der Verbrauch ist es überhaupt nicht.

Where is the improvement? The classic Alfa V6 was one of the finest engines made for an Italian car, and I'll stick to it as long as it will last. :cool:

doinel

Luxman
23rd June 2006, 11:44 PM
Where is the improvement? The classic Alfa V6 was one of the finest engines made for an Italian car, and I'll stick to it as long as it will last.

The improvement is for the producer only.
The Alfa engine was very complex and very expensive to build.

The GM engine is cheaper, probalby also because of the higher quantity produced.

Lxm

doinel
23rd June 2006, 11:50 PM
Yes, I fear that you are right, Luxy. :rolleyes:

doinel

Alexis
24th June 2006, 01:22 AM

$131! Not Spiggen Happy! It wasn't even my fault, my little car just has the heart of a race car. She has the spirit of Pharlap but she is trapped in the body of an 85 Gemini. Poor little thing!

Aw darl, I feel your pain there!

I finally got all my demerit points back last December - I copped a huge speeding ticket back in 2002 and lost 3 points... but I _was_ doing about 20km/h over the limit :rolleyes: Needless to say, I didn't repeat that one again.

Nowadays I get pulled up all the time simply because my car looks like the type that would break rules frequently! ;)

Alexis
24th June 2006, 01:36 AM
As for speed limit enforcement... Victoria's police division usually stand out for this; I've heard they're really strict, and will penalise even +1km/h over. WA's police are a little more relaxed on this (the usual rule of thumb is 5-10% tolerance over), however they've copped a lot of flak lately over the positioning of the cameras (hiding them behind power poles, etc, or placing them away from black-spot intersections where they're needed the most... people always accuse the police/state government of "revenue raising"). We even had a guy who held up a cardboard sign on the side of the road saying "SPEED CAMERA", get hassled by police just for doing so... which makes you question their motives even more...

Close but not quite, Diablo. Victoria's first speeding fines begin at 3km/h over... that bracket goes up to 10km/h (one demerit point and $131), then it dramatically increases from there. My ticket cost me $240 three years ago - nowadays I think it is around $300! If you believe your speedometer was reading incorrectly but still within a 10% variance you have the right to appeal the fine, though I think the letters have to be quite carefully and politely worded. ;)

The big issue these days is that Victoria now allows mixed letter/number plates (so for example, I could buy "AL3X1S" for my car) and these are getting confused on the camera images, since an 0 and an O look very similar on the plates. Recently a little farm car was booked for speeding on a highway - a few hundred kilometres away - because a van had near-identical plates!

Diablo
24th June 2006, 07:36 AM
Ah, phew, thanks for that, Alexis!

I'm actually moving over to Melbourne in a few weeks time, and I'm getting my ride freighted over (since I don't have the time to sell it, and I've spent enough on it, to the point where I might as well keep it). This means I'll have to get my car re-registered in Victoria and it'll need a RWC... from your experiences, how stringent are the police on modified cars (given the mods on my car listed here (http://forums.abbywinters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?postid=43556#post43556))?

hotdawg
24th June 2006, 08:36 AM
.....how stringent are the police on modified cars (given the mods on my car listed here (http://forums.abbywinters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?postid=43556#post43556))?
Bad news, bud if you have ANY modification on your car, VicRoad's inspectors will chew you up....I recently got done by the rozzas here and Vicroads wanted my SR20 powered car returned to stock before they would re-RWC it (the engine has been changed from a whimpy 1.6 LTR...so I would have had to change the engine back as well :mad:)

Ended up going through court to sort it out....you might have better luck, but don't hold you breath....if I were you I would see if there is a way to transfer your WA RWC to Victoria....????

hotdawg

stoneyyy
24th June 2006, 09:02 AM
Ah, phew, thanks for that, Alexis!

I'm actually moving over to Melbourne in a few weeks time, and I'm getting my ride freighted over (since I don't have the time to sell it, and I've spent enough on it, to the point where I might as well keep it). This means I'll have to get my car re-registered in Victoria and it'll need a RWC... from your experiences, how stringent are the police on modified cars (given the mods on my car listed here (http://forums.abbywinters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?postid=43556#post43556))?

Damn another sand groper comming to a real city :)

The 17in are ok as long as you have the same wheel height, I would say for the Extractors this could leave you in breaches of EPA noise requirements, Cold air induction and extractors, how much extra power are you looking for, what mods are you considering for the suspension system and the braking system to allow for the extra power, and as for driving in vic they are red hot on traffic speeders, but that is a 11yo dunnydore why would you want to modify it, it will fall apart soon.

It always amazes me how car companys spend millions on engineers desinging cars for safety etc etc and some one that hasn't a clue is allowed to redo them.

stoneyyy
24th June 2006, 09:06 AM
Bad news, bud if you have ANY modification on your car, VicRoad's inspectors will chew you up....I recently got done by the rozzas here and Vicroads wanted my SR20 powered car returned to stock before they would re-RWC it (the engine has been changed from a whimpy 1.6 LTR...so I would have had to change the engine back as well :mad:)

Ended up going through court to sort it out....you might have better luck, but don't hold you breath....if I were you I would see if there is a way to transfer your WA RWC to Victoria....????

hotdawg

There are modifications that do require an engineers cert when you do them, 1 is changing the engine for a bigger one, and this is for good reason, or people would be making death traps, placing a bigger engine in will increase vechicle weight, speed etc etc and what have you done to the rest of the car to compensate for this?

Luxman
24th June 2006, 09:33 AM
It always amazes me how car companys spend millions on engineers desinging cars for safety etc etc and some one that hasn't a clue is allowed to redo them.

That's a good point stoneyyy! I always felt like that.

Lxm

Diablo
24th June 2006, 09:38 AM
Thanks for that, hotdawg and stoneyyy.

Here in WA, we don't need RWC's, period (the only exception is for taxis and other commercial transport). I'll get some advice from my local car club, to see if anyone has had similar experiences (since a few people I know there have lived in Victoria).

As of now, the engine itself is completely stock (ECOTEC V6, 147kW). The exhaust system is a bit louder than standard, however the resonator in the muffler is warped, so I might need to get it replaced anyway.

Stoneyyy... 11 years is still young! You should see what the people at my car club are doing to their VH's, VK's and VL's :)

yusanord
24th June 2006, 11:04 AM
About speeding tickets, here in Finland how much you are fined depends your income. Six years ago Finnish pro hockey player was speeding and got a ticket little over 43 000 €, because of his high income. And his ticket isn't the biggest one.

yusa

Luxman
24th June 2006, 11:14 AM
Six years ago Finnish pro hockey player was speeding and got a ticket little over 43 000 €, because of his high income. And his ticket isn't the biggest one.

Basically the idea to attach fines to the income is not so bad.
But, even with a big income like like this guy has, 43,000 EUR is exaggerative.

Lxm

Diablo
24th June 2006, 11:35 AM

I agree with this sentiment; I generally frown on people who think they have a god-given right to chuck something into their engine bay, that's significantly more powerful than what the car's chassis, suspension and brake systems have been designed for. I know of people who work for mechanic shops that will refuse certain engine enhancements without upgrading the brakes to a certain higher standard. What good is the extra power if you can't stop as quickly?

Having said that, my manufacturer actually offered four different engines at the time my car was sold (including two stronger V8 motors), so I know the chassis and suspension can withstand these (however I'm pretty sure the V8's came with a larger brake cylinder).

greg_19uk
24th June 2006, 03:26 PM
Close but not quite, Diablo. Victoria's first speeding fines begin at 3km/h over... that bracket goes up to 10km/h (one demerit point and $131), then it dramatically increases from there.

lol - has Vic got high crime rates? - seems like all the cops are getting "speeding" drivers instead of catching murderers and rapists!

I drive on motorways a lot (about twice as big and 10 times as busy as any Aussie freeway), and the speed limit is 70mph (115km/h). I regularly drive at 90mph (145km/h) and have never had a speeding ticket or an accident. I bet if I drive 30km/h over the limit when I come to Aus next yr, I'll be caught! :mad:

German
24th June 2006, 11:57 PM
Seems that Germany is drivers paradise - moderate speeding fines and no speed limits on freeways (except stated otherwise) :cool:

Car modifications are allowed, but you need a certificate - otherwise the police will stop you. :eek:

Alexis
25th June 2006, 11:27 AM
At first I was reading Diablo's thread and considering moving to WA so I could heavily modify cars...but after that last post, it seems I should be brushing up on my German ;)

I think stoneyyy summarised it quite well with his post re: Victorian RWC. They can be incredibly thorough when it comes to inspection, especially with changing engines. In fact, despite my car being completely damage free these days I could *still* get "canaried" (marked as unroadworthy with a bright canary-yellow sticker!) for some very subtle things, e.g. not enough space between my tyres and the wheel arches.

What most modders tend to do (if they can) here is strip back their car to as normal as possible, get their RWC then add the extras back on, with the hope that you aren't going to get caught afterwards. I remember loaning a set of 14" wheels/tyres to a friend so he could get a RWC for his Mitsubishi Mirage, as they weren't going to pass it with the 16" wheels... got a decent bottle of alcohol out of that too *laughs*

stoneyyy
25th June 2006, 01:42 PM
Having said that, my manufacturer actually offered four different engines at the time my car was sold (including two stronger V8 motors), so I know the chassis and suspension can withstand these (however I'm pretty sure the V8's came with a larger brake cylinder).

Not just a brake cylinder there are suspension differences and strengthening points too, Just because that model come out with different engines and gearboxes dosn't always mean you can just bolt a bigger engine in. Best to get advice from an automotive engineer if in doubt

stoneyyy
25th June 2006, 03:41 PM

How could any policeman book you

Alexis
26th June 2006, 04:57 AM
I finally got round to taking a few pics of my car... so now you'll all know what I'm referring to. The paint is so incredibly reflective in the sunlight - it was really hard to get a decent shot! ;)

Hope you like it *grin*

Diablo
26th June 2006, 06:10 AM
Nice work, Alexis, especially as it's all D.I.Y. too! Love the paintwork; I'm sure the photo hardly does it justice (I know some friends' cars are like that too). Stands out above all other Excels (that are serving more mundane tasks like grocery-getting).

Judging by the shape of the black rectangles, do you have personalised numberplates? (I'm not asking what the plates actually are). I once considered getting some personalised plates myself, but lately, some people from my car club who do have them, have had experiences with random people wanting to challenge them to drag races from the lights, just for bragging rights... too many heroes, not enough villains, as it were.

In the meantime, I've done some research on the VicRoads website, regarding modified cars and RWC's... document VSI 8 (http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/vrpdf/rdsafe/VSI%208.pdf) states that as long as the exhaust system meets some base constraints, and the exhaust manufacturer has sought certification for the emission standards that my car originally complied with, then technically, it should pass... fingers crossed. Though if the inspectors make me remove it, then I'll put up with that, I guess.

Diablo
26th June 2006, 06:32 AM
you're quite right, it's a sacrilege. The following excerpt is from 'Auto, Motor und Sport', concerning the new Alfa 159 Sportwagon 3.2V6:

Der neue 3,2-Liter-V6 stammt zwar im Kern von der australischen GM-Tochter Holden, doch die Alfa-Ingenieure haben ihn nach Art des Hauses verfeinert. Den Gänsehaut-Effekt des legendären Vorgänger-Sechszylinders bietet der neue zwar nicht: Er hängt nicht so spontan am Gas, dreht nicht so gierig hoch, und seine Stimme ist längst nicht so rauchig. Aber er erledigt seinen Job ordentlich. Für den Sprint auf Tempo 100 braucht er fast eine Sekunde länger als im leichteren Brera, aber 7,4 Sekunden sind okay. 237 km/h Spitze auch. Der Verbrauch ist es überhaupt nicht.

Where is the improvement? The classic Alfa V6 was one of the finest engines made for an Italian car, and I'll stick to it as long as it will last. :cool:

This sounds like they're using the "Alloytec" (GM Global V6) motor that Holden are manufacturing locally here in Australia, although the variant they sell here is 3.6L.

For the current VZ Commodore (http://www.users.on.net/~nweber/commodore/vz/index.html), it's quite an improvement over the previous V6 motor (Buick 3800 series II), given that it puts out more power/torque from slightly less displacement, and has a very wide power band, comparable to that of a V8 motor; 90% torque available between 1630-5460rpm. The only drawbacks I've heard was that it doesn't quite have the low-end "punch" that the Buick motors have, and its sound isn't quite as appealing (though the Buick V6 in my VS doesn't sound terribly enthustiastic either at 4500rpm, being pushrod-valve), plus some people were complaining about noticable response delays due to the electronic throttle technology (although that may be purely subjective).

But as for Alfa Romeo enthusiasts, I suppose it's a kick in the pants (although I've never taken a ride in one before), given how passionate AR owners are about their engines...

...but that is a 11yo dunnydore why would you want to modify it, it will fall apart soon.

Heh, just noticing your remark again... which car manufacturer do you swear allegiance to? Big blue oval? ;)

(I don't subscribe to zealotism in any way... Holdens have their good and bad points, just like any other car).

rachel_t
26th June 2006, 06:40 AM
that's awesome alexis, i love what you've done with it!! :D

i've been saving up to start doing some mods to my car (although i should probably get my liscense first, only got my learners permit at the moment!), i've got a black 2004 holden barina SXi... but i'd really love to have the SRi bodykit put on it, and i've been looking into getting some sexy chrome rims too. i dunno... i'm pretty car illiterate so i don;t really know what everything is called! hehe.

doinel
26th June 2006, 10:12 PM
This sounds like they're using the "Alloytec" (GM Global V6) motor that Holden are manufacturing locally here in Australia, although the variant they sell here is 3.6L.

But as for Alfa Romeo enthusiasts, I suppose it's a kick in the pants (although I've never taken a ride in one before), given how passionate AR owners are about their engines... Thanks Diablo for the very interesting link to the Holden Commodore engine. I must admit that I hadn't the slightest idea of what a Holden was all about until the story with the new Alfa. It's not that the Alloytec is a bad engine, not at all - I even can't argue about it. It is the creeping loss of identity which struck the small car manufacturers in Europe since a couple of years, after they had been swallowed by the big ones. And for Alfa it was always the genuine engine that made the difference.

doinel

doinel
26th June 2006, 10:34 PM
This is a picture of the last great Alfa 3.2 engine I was talking about:

doinel

Luxman
26th June 2006, 10:50 PM
And this is a picture of the new Alfa Motors,... err,... General Romeo,... uhm,... Alfa Romeo GM engine.

Lxm

Luxman
26th June 2006, 10:51 PM
I also think 237 km/h maximum speed for a 260 HP engine is a bit low.

Lxm

doinel
26th June 2006, 10:56 PM
What is the old saying? A picture tells more than 1000 words....;)

doinel

LiberalNoob
11th November 2006, 02:25 AM
I just ordered a 2007 VW Golf GTI in black with a flappy paddle transition/gearbox
gearbox.

Master Clarkson spells it out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9jBxX-cVfg

The only thing that I do not like about it is it's head and tail light clusters.

LiberalNoob
11th November 2006, 02:38 AM
Good news everyone! (http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/?cat=45)

othercoast
11th November 2006, 02:52 AM
I'm still driving the only car I ever bought new... a 1994 Ford Aspire (the mildly updated version of the Festiva). I LOVE that car! Its mighty 63 hp inline four... its metallic purple color... its light clutch and clean 5-speed shifter... I bought it off the lot with 18 miles on it. Paid a little less than $8,000. Named it Raspberry in honor of the paint color. I can go 65 mph all day, and get about 42 mpg.

Now if I had a pile of money and wanted a weekend car... well, there are two. One is the new Tesla electric roadster. The other is a Koenigsegg CCX (www.koenigsegg.com).

When I was a kid, I was fascinated by drag racing. I can't imagine what 0-300 mph in four and a half seconds could possibly feel like. But now that I'm older, I have a bit more subtle love of motorsports, and I'd love to spend the weekend at one of the roadracing schools.

Alexis, congratulations on being a gearhead. I always wanted to be mechanical, but I just don't have the aptitude for it. I can drive well (no tickets and no accidents in 30 years, and nobody honks at me, which in Boston means I must be some kind of a saint), but I'm limited to fueling, air in the tires, and an oil change in terms of my tool skills.

LiberalNoob
11th November 2006, 02:58 AM
Make sure that your Koenigsegg CCX has a spoiler/ aerodynamic modifications otherwise you will frequently loose control of it.

othercoast
11th November 2006, 03:26 AM
LibNoob: I'd lose control of that baby as soon as I closed the door, I imagine. It's a way better car than I am a driver.

Actually, that's why I gave up motorcycles. My last one was a Honda Interceptor, when they had the 19" rear wheel and the 16" front. The intention was quicker handling. It was quick, alright. Sneeze and you'd change lanes.

ainslee
13th November 2006, 03:07 PM
hows this for terrible (i've never gotten my license) sshhhh. Though my boy drives a Honda Prelude (way too small to do anything in, it sucks). I'm looking into getting my motorbike license soon though, as I've had my eye on this gorgeous Ninja for a while. i dunno how I'd go about driving in the city though, it's a bit intimidating when I'm only used to dirtbikes!!

doinel
13th November 2006, 06:26 PM
I just ordered a 2007 VW Golf GTI....
I'm just curious LN: is it officially known as Golf in the USA now? I remember it being named Rabbit years ago. Anyway, congrats to your fine car!

doinel

depictmeuk
13th November 2006, 07:49 PM
If my calculations are correct then:
In UK pounds and litres fuel costs:-
Australia about £0.48 a litre
Stateside about £0.35 a litre
We pay £0.95 per litre in the U.K.
I am clearly a car owner in the wrong country.

I drive a Fiat camper van ( RV for you Americans)

My first car was a Austin Mini, teal blue and I loved it dearly.

arsby
13th November 2006, 09:02 PM
Stateside about £0.35 a litre
We pay £0.95 per litre in the U.K.
I am clearly a car owner in the wrong country.

Our gas (USA) is actually down to around $2.15/gal, which is closer to £0.30 a litre.
And yours is at $6.83/gal (£0.95 per litre)?
Yours is more than 3 times more expensive!
Wow!

Luxman
13th November 2006, 09:13 PM
In Luxembourg it's about 1.02 Euro actually, that's $0.80 or £0.69 per litre.

The difference in price is only due to the taxes retained by the respective countries.
In Luxembourg 80% of the fuel price is taxes.

Lxm

depictmeuk
13th November 2006, 09:31 PM
£0.95 per litre
In UK the cost is all tax, the fuel is actually free....
We make regular trips to France, fill the car up with diesel, do some food shopping and we still save money despite having to pay for a ferry to cross to France. Alcohol is heavily taxed in the UK, most food is more expensive than Europe, clothes are more expensive, computers are more expensive , need I go on?

yusanord
13th November 2006, 10:06 PM
Are you familiar with competition about how much noise car stereos make ? There are quite a few rules and measuring is made in two 30 sec periods and average dB value counts.

The "best" values here I just checked are over 140 dB. Needless to say cars have to be strengthened not to break. There seems to be competition about everything :rolleyes:.

yusa

LiberalNoob
13th November 2006, 11:16 PM
I'm just curious LN: is it officially known as Golf in the USA now? I remember it being named Rabbit years ago. Anyway, congrats to your fine car!

doinel
VW USA now officially calls the Golf the Rabbit.
Rabbits ruin my lawn in the spring but they are so cute doing it. The GTI is NOT cute and Golf sounds better.

doinel
13th November 2006, 11:24 PM
I had to refuel my car today, and it was for 1,19 EUR per litre Super (0,80 GBP, 1,52 USD) The price is shifting weekly about 3 cents up and down, for what reason ever. The price for Diesel is 1,00 EUR, and therefore these types of cars are the most popular here nowadays.

doinel

doinel
13th November 2006, 11:29 PM
The GTI is NOT cute and Golf sounds better.
I agree with you. Rabbit was kinda weird name for a car.

doinel

Diablo
14th November 2006, 10:19 AM
I agree with you. Rabbit was kinda weird name for a car.

Unless it's got really bouncy rear suspension :)

LiberalNoob
15th November 2006, 12:22 AM
Unless it's got really bouncy rear suspension :)
Not at all. Did you look at the video I posted about the GTI?
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9jBxX-cVfg)[/URL]
A stock Golf:
[URL]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHwCjpP_d1E (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9jBxX-cVfg)

LiberalNoob
15th November 2006, 06:46 AM
Look at this! You will go blind!
(http://www.jalopnik.com/cars/news/the-lotus-elise-should-probably-be-serviced-anywhere-but-orlando-212968.php)

LiberalNoob
17th November 2006, 01:12 AM
Take an EPIC car (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkQuTje-mGg) (Caution: contains Jeremy “Jezza” Clarkson) and some parts,
to make this (http://www.jalopnik.com/cars/custom-cars%252fhot-rods%253a-tuners/tuning-the-crap-out-of-a-mercedes-cls-the-brabus-rocket-183624.php). 4580

I need to change my pants. Again.4581

I'll take 2 in black please.

That car needs more chrome, but still4582.

LiberalNoob
17th November 2006, 08:26 PM
More good news everyone! (http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/?cat=55)

LiberalNoob
22nd November 2006, 04:16 AM
WOW! (http://www.jalopnik.com/cars/custom-cars%252fhot-rods%253a-tuners/das-rokit-brabus-super-cls-breaks-speed-record-216299.php)

prue
16th January 2007, 07:11 AM
right so here is the car talk thread...i will be getting comfy in here soon!:)

mothra
23rd January 2007, 05:00 AM
Say.....prue?

Do they run 1/4 mile drag races down there or some metric equivalent?:rolleyes:

LiberalNoob
23rd January 2007, 07:23 PM
right so here is the car talk thread...i will be getting comfy in here soon!:)
You are going to get very comfy as this thread is not that active.

LiberalNoob
23rd January 2007, 07:26 PM
If you want to buy a car in North America do it between x -mas and new years. Deals galore! If you can’t then buy between Xmas-March.

prue
24th January 2007, 09:14 AM
drag racing in oz is a quater mile

Gerza71
24th January 2007, 12:48 PM
400 meters

Gerza71

Goblues1
25th January 2007, 07:33 AM
There's a good track at Noble Park on Friday night.

Diablo
25th January 2007, 07:48 AM
Here in Australia, most car magazines list acceleration as "standing 0-400m time" (as well as the usual 0-100km/h time), although it's often metaphorically referred to as a quarter mile. Given that a quarter mile is actually 402.336m, it improves our "quarter mile" times by one or two-hundreths of a second at most ;)

LiberalNoob
27th January 2007, 05:17 AM
Good News!
Hammond's back. Really, he is. The Hamster returns to your screen at 8pm this Sunday in the most explosive episode of Top Gear ever - and the action will continue on TopGear.com as soon as the credits roll.

Richard will be blogging right here at 9pm - read about this, and our exclusive computer-generated reconstruction of the accident in our news story (http://www.topgear.com/content/news/stories/1549/).

Having spent the day with Richard as he made his emotional return to the TG studio, TopGear.com can happily report that he's healthy, happy and just a little bit embarrassed to have caused so much trouble.

For a full preview of Series Nine, check out our gallery (http://www.topgear.com/content/timetoburn/sections/galleries/other/tg_preview2/01/). Here's what to look out for this week:

Men at work
Why do roadworks take so long? It's a question that's vexed every one of us as we sit stationary, gazing glazen-eyed at a builder armed with a stop-go sign and massive arse cleavage. Surely there must be a better way?

With the aid of just 32 of Warwickshire's finest road workers, a quarryful of tarmac and an incredibly irritating megaphone, the boys try to complete a week's worth of road repairs in just 24 hours. How hard can it be?

Fast food
This week's studio guest Jamie Oliver was on a mission to prove he could set a tasty lap time rather than make a dog's dinner of our Reasonably Priced Car.

After nearly flattening us at Gambon - twice - and demonstrating a couple of the most spectacular fishtail slides we've ever seen on our icy test track, Jamie eventually got to grips with the non-stick circuit (see what we did there?) and even managed to fry the Lacetti's radiator. Smoking stuff.

Jaguar XKR v Aston Martin V8 Vantage
What better way to celebrate the return of the best show in Britain (hell, the world) than thrash a couple of the finest sports cars in Britain (hell, the world) around our test track? We've never seen Jeremy more torn - will he plump for the gorgeous Vantage or the Jag's supercharged XKR, with an engine note like "Tom Jones gargling a NASCAR"? Oh, how we've missed those metaphors...

Hammond's shunt
It's the big one. Like a scary film, you know what's coming. You want to shut your eyes, but somehow you can't look away. Whatever you've read about Hammond's jet car accident, you won't be quite prepared for it. It even shut JC up. Don't miss it.

Watch more
So that's what's on the show, but the TG coverage doesn't end at 9pm on Sunday. Oh no. The techies at TopGear.com have been beavering away to create an awesome 3D reconstruction of Hammond's crash, using detailed telemetry from the Vampire's black box.

The animation gives you an amazing insight into the G-forces and impact of the high-speed crash. It goes live as the show ends.

And that's not all. As soon as you've seen the video and watched the reconstruction, we want to know what you think. Richard will be posting a blog on the site at 9pm, and we'll be giving you the chance to respond.

Vid Dude
27th January 2007, 06:21 AM
You could've said all that in three words. "The Hamster's back."

Please try not to clutter threads with extremely long articles about stuff that doesn't matter.

LiberalNoob
30th January 2007, 03:13 AM
The guy had brain surgery, after crashing a car that was going well over 200MPH, and came out without any problems. He also had a bar fight with three US Marines, AND WON, after his operation!

EDIT: I Obey.

Goblues1
30th January 2007, 09:24 AM
Have heard from Alexis lately wonder what she is up to. Maybe she has a new car.

mothra
1st February 2007, 08:21 AM
drag racing in oz is a quater mile

What kind of times have you been running down there? Whith your big engines without TURBOS!:cool:

othercoast
2nd February 2007, 03:21 AM
I've never actually had my car to the strip, but I'm guessing that I might be able to run a quarter-mile in just under 20 seconds or so. Not bad for 63 hp. ;)

Years ago, when the Shelby Cobra arrived, Car Craft or one of those drag racing magazines had a competition to see what a car could do from 0-100-0. (In mph, not kph.) Anything under twelve seconds was considered spectacular. Now all the elite sports cars are well under 10 seconds.

mothra
3rd February 2007, 04:27 AM
63hp....what kinda vehicle is that?:)

My motorcycle has lots more than that!

othercoast
5th February 2007, 05:28 AM
Mothra, see post #113 in this thread for your answer. The Mighty Raspberry rolls on! :D

walrusman
7th February 2007, 11:12 AM
Just curious -- what's the most widely used police car in Australia?

doinel
7th February 2007, 11:16 AM
I've never been there, but I bet it's a Holden. :D

doinel

flatspin
16th February 2007, 03:25 PM
Denise Redux (http://www.abbywinters.com/main.php?page=profile&model=1838) at the start of video1 tells how she is a car sex enthusiast.....
Denise: "Probably one of my major turn ons would actually have to be definitely my V8's, I love my V8 super cars. If I go down and see the car racing nothing gets me hotter than a revved engine, like that's just awesome. The sounds just makes me want to fall over back wards, and yeah I won't go there, too bad...."
Fallon: "Have you ever done it in the back of a car?"
Denise: "Yeah, who wouldn't? I'm a car enthusiast and it's been in the back of hot cars which is the main thing as well. Like not only is the car a turn on, the fact that you're doing out in like the most random location - like anyone could walk past like it's just the best, so why not?"
Fallon: "Does that excite you a bit?"
Denise: "It does, especially when it's in a V8." :D

Diablo
17th February 2007, 08:53 AM

The police forces here generally use either Ford Falcons (http://www.geocities.com/falconfacts/) or Holden Commodores (http://www.users.on.net/~nweber/commodore/); both are equally likely to be seen in duty.

Ford and Holden make a special "Police Pack" configuration for these cars, that usually includes additional enhancements and functionality that make the car better suited to police duties. Here's a list (http://www.users.on.net/~nweber/commodore/vz/index.html#p9c1) of what Holden's 9C1 police pack comes with, compared to standard Commodore models.

Occasionally, other fleet-grade cars might be used. I remember once reading a review from a policeman who had been issued a Mitsubishi 380 as a police car; he was quite impressed at how well it handled in a 150km/h pursuit, despite being front-wheel-drive (the Falcon and Commodore have always been rear-wheel-drive).

Most state goverments in Australia replace their police cars every 3-4 years, so it's quite possible to pick up an ex-police car at auction. These can sometimes be a bargain for enthusiasts, providing they haven't had too much of a hard life.

Among the Holden enthusiast crowd, there's often a lot of speculation whether the ex-police Commodores had ECU modifications for improved performance. In most cases I've heard, it's just usually an increased idle RPM (so the car could power the overhead flashing lights better when pulled over), although some people I knew liked to boast improved drag times. In the mid-1980's, the police-issued VH/VK Commodores usually had the HDT Brock engine enhancements, which improved V8 power output by a good 50% over the standard models :)

Whether the police cars are 6 or 8-cylinder usually depends on what state goverment and where they're issued. I know Western Australia used to always have V8 police cars up until the late 1990's, although they now use 6-cylinder instead (there were media reports at the time about inexperienced drivers crashing the V8's or even joyriding in them).

There you go, some Aussie motoring trivia for you... :)

Diablo
17th February 2007, 02:36 PM
Thought I might post a link to another neat car-related site: CarSurvey.org (http://www.carsurvey.org). If you like writing automotive reviews, and like raving or bitching about your particular make/model of car, then it could be a cool idea to tell other prospective buyers of your experiences (all reviews are submitted anonymously). I've written up a review on my 1995 VS Holden Commodore here (http://www.carsurvey.org/review_88513.html).

walrusman
19th February 2007, 02:46 PM
Wow! Thanks for the detailed response Diablo. Looks like you were on the money Doniel :) . I especially dig the Commodores. I read recently that they're coming to Canada soon as Pontiacs.

I've always loved police cars, particularly those from other countries.

I had the rather fun privilege of driving a police package Chevrolet Impala for a previous job (not policing). It had the same sort of features as the Holden and was a pleasure to work with. The extra crash reinforcement up front was particularly appreciated by one of my colleagues whose inadvertent attempt to drive under a Range Rover was unsuccessful. :eek: The other 2 common ones here are the Ford Police Interceptor and the new (and mean looking) Dodge Charger. There's also the odd Volvo or Chevrolet Tahoe 4x4 around as well.

Nifty website you posted there. I like your thorough review on the Commodore.

LiberalNoob
21st February 2007, 06:16 AM
I've never been there, but I bet it's a Holden. :D

If GM sold the entire Holden lineup in the US, they may come out of their downward spiral.

LiberalNoob
21st February 2007, 06:20 AM
The other 2 common ones here are the Ford Police Interceptor and the new (and mean looking) Dodge Charger. Lucky! I haven't seen one yet.:(

Diablo
21st February 2007, 09:30 AM
If GM sold the entire Holden lineup in the US, they may come out of their downward spiral.

Apparently there's some enthusiasts campaigning (http://www.rearwheeldrive.org/rwd/) for the US car companies to produce more rear-wheel-drive (http://slate.msn.com/id/2081194/) cars in their lineup.

The Holden Commodore is actually based on GM's V-car platform (large RWD sedan), with the styling derived from the Opel Omega. They also export the Statesman series to the Middle East (badged as Chevrolet Lumina), where they're quite popular, and also some parts of Asia.

takochan
22nd February 2007, 08:56 AM
The two cars in our household are both Japanese:

•a 1989 Mitsubishi Magna station wagon (actually manufactured in Australia)
•a 1980 Honda Civic that is still purring along like a contented little kitten (though
now running on her second engine).

takochan

OlderGuy
22nd February 2007, 02:28 PM
The two cars in our household are both Japanese:

•a 1989 Mitsubishi Magna station wagon (actually manufactured in Australia)
•a 1980 Honda Civic that is still purring along like a contented little kitten (though
now running on her second engine).

takochan

I assume they don't use much road salt in NZ ?

Randomthoughts
8th March 2007, 01:34 AM
Read this and weep (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/in_pictures/6423241.stm)

Then strap yourself into your computer chair and watch what the Bugatti Veyron (http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x157l2_bugatti-veyron-at-top-speed) can do in the hands of a pro!
:cool:
*drools on self*

rt...

alleyes1
8th March 2007, 02:37 AM
Wow, what a shame that was wreck was RT. Weep, indeed! :(

doinel
8th March 2007, 10:57 AM
Very impressive, thank's RT. But I must say, that I wouldn' buy this car even if I had money like Bill Gates. A decent Porsche Carrera would be more than sufficient for the everyday traffic and the weekend fun.:D

doinel

Luxman
8th March 2007, 11:01 AM
I would buy a nice Aston Martin.

Lxm

doinel
8th March 2007, 11:06 AM
Yeah the new Aston Martin Convertible (http://www.auto-news.de/auto/news/anzeige.jsp?id=17850) looks really great. Mmhhh, das wär's.;)

doinel

Diablo
8th March 2007, 11:11 AM
The Veyron also has a staggering fuel economy of 75L/100km (3.13 MPG). You'd be lugging along some jerry cans if you tried driving one in Australia's outback :)

Luxman
8th March 2007, 11:45 AM
What I liked was the statement: "At this speed the tyres only last about 15 minutes, but it's ok because the fuel runs out in 12 minutes."

Lxm

OlderGuy
8th March 2007, 01:57 PM
They don't make Bugatti's like they used to :cool:

OlderGuy
8th March 2007, 02:34 PM
Speaking of cool [and expensive] cars, have you guys checked out this one?
http://www.rolls-roycemotorcars.com/lo-band/home.htm

Luxman
8th March 2007, 02:54 PM
Speaking of cool [and expensive] cars, have you guys checked out this one?
http://www.rolls-roycemotorcars.com/lo-band/home.htm

In my eyes this is one of the ugliest cars that are built actually!
The designer should be executed.

Lxm

doinel
8th March 2007, 06:21 PM
Expensive, yes! Dream car, no! Luxman is right, the new owner of Rolls Royce (BMW) is rapidly ruining the heritage of the brand with a design like that. How things can be done better shows the new Bentley Azure (http://www.bentleymotors.com/Corporate/display.aspx?websiteid=2&langid=2&cpflgs=1111&infid=171) one of the more elegant cars coming out of the VW company. :)

doinel

walrusman
11th March 2007, 11:57 AM
I really dig Morgans. (http://http://www.morgan-motor.co.uk/home.html) Anybody else share my affliction? ;)

doinel
11th March 2007, 12:44 PM
I like Morgans too, and here (http://www.morgan-motor.co.uk/) is the correct link. If the Morgan +8 wouldn't be too expensive for me I'd bought it in 1987 instead of an Alfa Romeo Spider. Ah, good memories. ;)

doinel

ham
11th March 2007, 08:52 PM
I too like Morgans. I remember a story that someone found a piece of wood that was stamped Chevez Regal behind the seat. No doubt a story though. I couldn't afford a Morgan and got an MG instead. Poor trade off.

LiberalNoob
12th March 2007, 02:20 AM
Read this and weep (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/in_pictures/6423241.stm)

Then strap yourself into your computer chair and watch what the Bugatti Veyron (http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x157l2_bugatti-veyron-at-top-speed) can do in the hands of a pro!
*drools on self*

rt...
TOP GEAR RULES!!

LiberalNoob
12th March 2007, 02:23 AM
In my eyes this is one of the ugliest cars that are built actually!
The designer should be executed.

Lxm Only the front end is ugly. Other cars are far, far, worce than that.

LiberalNoob
12th March 2007, 02:25 AM
I really dig Morgans. (http://http://www.morgan-motor.co.uk/home.html) Anybody else share my affliction? ;)
They look fanatastic (except for the Aero 8), but they are so out of date it hurts.

LiberalNoob
12th March 2007, 02:33 AM
My dream car. (http://www.jalopnik.com/cars/custom-cars%252fhot-rods%253a-tuners/tuning-the-crap-out-of-a-mercedes-cls-the-brabus-rocket-183624.php)

tnproud2b
12th March 2007, 03:09 AM
I think you could happy for far less than $438,000. If you want a Benz that's both rare and relatively fast, look for a '90- 92' 500E or the '93-94' E500. Expect to pay about $15,000 for a pristine example. I bought one last year that was in showroom condition and had less than 25,000 miles. these cars were hand built in limited numbers at Porsche's Zuffenhausen facility.
http://www.alanvincent.com/benzo.JPG

walrusman
13th March 2007, 11:38 PM
Thanks for the correct link Doinel. :o I'm sure the Spider was fun; wish they still sold them here. :(

I prefer the classic style Morgans as well, and have done since I was a kid. Maybe I'll be able to afford one in a few decades. :) The Aero 8 is nice too, and it seems to be one of the few really expensive cars that has not been tainted by the rap music video aesthetic/association.

That's a pretty cool anecdote, Ham. Like you, I hope it's true!

walrusman
13th March 2007, 11:42 PM
That's a fine car, Tnproud2b. Glad you could find automotive bliss for a sane price.

tnproud2b
14th March 2007, 03:30 AM
I love my car. I've only taken it out of the garage maybe 6 times. In my entire life I've never bought a new car. There are too many used car bargains out there. The new 'sticker price' of my Benz was about $81,000! Somebody lost some money on that one. There are many exceedingly rare automobiles out there that can be bought for literally nothing. The entire Jaguar XJS series comes to mind. I've owned 3 of those. All were under $10,000 and I sold each one for more than I paid for it. Lately I'm keeping my eye out for a mid-70s XJ12C. If I had to choose an all-time favorite it would be a early 60's Ferrari 400 Super America. I can't afford one of those, however.

LiberalNoob
19th March 2007, 02:01 AM
I think you could happy for far less than $438,000. If you want a Benz that's both rare and relatively fast, look for a '90- 92' 500E or the '93-94' E500. Expect to pay about $15,000 for a pristine example. I bought one last year that was in showroom condition and had less than 25,000 miles. these cars were hand built in limited numbers at Porsche's Zuffenhausen facility. A Nice Old Merc.
I am not a fan of the E-Class, but I like. I still want a CLS hypercar.

Randomthoughts
6th April 2007, 03:26 PM
Well..in my current reality - I am out of debt however I need to jump back in a little. I am looking for a new car (in Canadian models) under $25K
Hard to find anything sporty, and the funny thing is that I would have to increase that to $28K to get a base Volkswagen TDI base model out the door! Then I risk looking like a 20yr old skater!
Honda Civics just bore me to sleep looking at them. I hate this....but my current car is on it's way out. I can put down a large chunk of it now, but I don't want to go over $25K as new cars at the most part are a depreciating asset.
I won't buy used though. Someone else's problems and risk of high repair costs jumping out at you.

rt...

Randomthoughts
27th April 2007, 01:13 AM
Buying this baby tomorrow!

Luxman
27th April 2007, 06:48 AM
Hey RT,nice birthday gift! :)

I bought this one a month ago, will get it in June, not a birthday gift though.

Lxm

casgrain
27th April 2007, 03:50 PM
Wow, I couldn't afford that. It's also true that I'm retired not a business owner. BMW is out of my league.:D

doinel
27th April 2007, 05:14 PM
I bought this one a month ago, will get it in June, not a birthday gift though.
350i or 350d ? Nice car and looks much better than the sedan.

doinel

doinel
27th April 2007, 05:19 PM
Looks impressive, RT. Have you ordered it with the hybrid powered engine? Must say, that Lexus is still quite exotic here.

doinel

LiberalNoob
27th April 2007, 08:43 PM
5665 Good choice, as the Altima is Nissan's Halo Car. Too bad it is only sold in North America, they would love it if the sold it over seas.
More info about the car:
http://www.nissanusa.com/altima/

LiberalNoob
27th April 2007, 08:50 PM
Does it have iDrive?

doinel
27th April 2007, 10:03 PM
Does it have iDrive?
No, as far as I know, iDrive is a feature in the 5- to 7-series.

Have I been totally wrong with RT's car? Isn't it a Lexus GS 450? :o Well, I never heard of a Nissan Altima, though. :(

doinel

Luxman
27th April 2007, 11:16 PM

I have ordered the 335d. Nearly the same power and a lot more torque than the 335i with less fuel consumption.

Does it have iDrive?

With the (optional) navigation system it comes with iDrive.

Actually the Series 3 Coupé is the only BMW I like that's why I ordered it.
Today I use a 750i old model (2000). It will be sold soon, anyone interested? :)

Lxm

doinel
28th April 2007, 08:22 AM
I have ordered the 335d. Nearly the same power and a lot more torque than the 335i with less fuel consumption.
Of course I meant 335, silly me.:o There isn't a 350. Anyway, good choice of yours. What a fantastic engine!

Actually the Series 3 Coupé is the only BMW I like that's why I ordered it.I agree, but I like the new Z4 Coupé a lot too (if it wasn't so uncomfortable).

doinel

Randomthoughts
28th April 2007, 04:09 PM
Good choice, as the Altima is Nissan's Halo Car. Too bad it is only sold in North America, they would love it if the sold it over seas.
More info about the car:
http://www.nissanusa.com/altima/

Thanks LiberalNoob! The Altima seems like a sound choice, given I don't want to sink back in to debt...:)
Doinel, the Altima is supposedly built on the same platform as the Lexus - and I could have ordered the Hybrid of this however I am not sure anyone has the technology nailed down yet. Maybe my next car will HAVE to be hybrid!
Lux - that Beemer is Deluxe!!!

LiberalNoob
30th April 2007, 05:03 AM
Anytime.

LiberalNoob
30th April 2007, 05:09 AM
Also check out the Subaru Impreza.
http://www.subaru.ca/WebPage.asp?WebPageID=6175&Range=Impreza&ModelYear=2007&WebSiteID=282

doinel
22nd June 2007, 11:04 PM
I bought this one a month ago, will get it in June...
Hey Luxy, have you already got your new toy? If so, how much is the difference in comfort and engine to your 750i? Here's a new challenger for the 335d, the Audi A5 3.0 TDI quattro:
6015 6016
For me it's the best looking Audi at the moment, and BMW won't be amused at all.

doinel

Luxman
23rd June 2007, 07:17 AM
Hey Luxy, have you already got your new toy? If so, how much is the difference in comfort and engine to your 750i?

Hey Doinel, you never forget anything, heh? :)

Yes I got my new toy two days ago. I love the typical smelling of brand new cars.
Compared to my 750, it's a bit smaller, but not so much.
Anyway the place at the front seats is not much less than in the 750.
I the "second class" it's a bit smaller, but I don't sit there and people who come with me have to deal with it.

The performance of this car is outstanding. It's a real sports car and the engine is excellent.
I'm scared, it can be a "ticket generator" because you're accelerating to 200 km/h within seconds and you're not really aware of the speed.

Here's a new challenger for the 335d, the Audi A5 3.0 TDI quattro:
For me it's the best looking Audi at the moment, and BMW won't be amused at all.

Yes, the Audi is very nice too, but the performance of the Diesel version is actually far behind the 335d.

Oh, what's great too, I'm under 8 l/100 km. I think that's really good for a 286 hp car, and I didn't drive slowly.

Lxm

doinel
23rd June 2007, 10:00 AM
Alors, Bonne route, mon ami! It's true, as far as constructing state of the art engines, BMW is top of the line (and surprisingly with Diesels too).

doinel

Luxman
24th June 2007, 11:25 AM
Alors, Bonne route, mon ami!

Merci mon ami!

I was yesterday to Cologne and back, 429 km at a good speed and it took 7,4 l/100 km.
I'm pretty amazed about that , the 750 consumes two times more.

Lxm

artlover
24th June 2007, 02:56 PM
I am glad you're enjoying your new car, Lux--sounds like a winner! Have you thought of naming it, perhaps after a favorite AW model? :D

Randomthoughts
24th June 2007, 03:57 PM
Artie...I think that would not go over well with Luxman's girlfriend
(A very attractive girlfriend I might add)

;)
Luxman - you need to put in a remote device in your dash to monitor the A/W threads, as you will probably be going out to the grocery store about 20 times a day because you "forgot" something again.
Enjoy!

rt...

doinel
24th June 2007, 04:36 PM
I was yesterday to Cologne and back, 429 km at a good speed and it took 7,4 l/100 km.
That's quite impressive indeed. It goes to show that downsizing can be not only economic but much fun as well. ;)

@RT: what's with your new Altima? You enjoy it too?

doinel

wannadance
29th June 2007, 04:13 AM
i did not realize that this was model alexis' thread. she is one of my major crushes. i ran across her on a portraits list, went to her 'main' and i was amazed. her pic there, with hair pulled back, revealed a very average pretty woman. but in those portraits, with hair down, her body shadowed but revealed, her natural grace revealed, i fell in love.

my heart is getting reawlllllly full, what with alexis, gilian and philip seymour hoffman, plus occasional mathilda (she is just so cute). i hope it's infinite in there....

dancer with wheels but no car, alas.

Randomthoughts
29th June 2007, 04:35 AM
Yeah dancer, your four wheel transportation is full of class and comfort - Not to mention we all like the mileage we all get out of you seeing as you are mostly at full throttle!
Keep it up

BTW - Doinel the Altima is a head turner. Black on black with 20% tint all around. Very happy thanks!
Just wouldn't want to pull up beside Lux...I would have lil' penis syndrome!

rt...

Luxman
29th June 2007, 07:25 AM
Just wouldn't want to pull up beside Lux...I would have lil' penis syndrome!

Haha!

Lxm

daimm9
22nd September 2007, 08:50 PM
Ten months since the petrol / Gas price discussion took place, so we may need updating.
I'll Start. Others, if interested, can add their bit.
British newspapers are making a great fuss about the £1.00 litre of petrol.
This is 1.38 Euros, or US$2.02
A Gallon is exactly 4.55 Litres, making the British price £4.55 per gallon. When I started driving I could buy four gallons for a pound. Now I can't buy one gallon for four pounds.

This is why I bought myself a small, petrol efficient car. It is a Citroen C1, which is also sold in the UK as the Peugeot 107 or the Toyota Aygo. (All come off the same production line, and only the badges and bumpers differ between the three.) It is surprisingly fast, and great fun to drive.
Never again will I impress in my favourite old car, a 2 tonne "Auntie" Rover 100 which I bought when it was sixteen years old and ran for several more years. However 55 miles per gallon for the Citroen is more practical than 18 miles per gallon on the old monster.

doinel
22nd September 2007, 10:04 PM
The price of 1,38 EUR is really quite high, I payed 7 cent less yesterday. Daimm9, your new C1 is not a diesel I presume? Over here the most new cars sold are diesels, it's a real boost. How popular are they in the UK?

doinel

yusanord
22nd September 2007, 10:49 PM
I fill my tank yesterday and it cost 1.299 per liter, that makes about 6,88 $ per gallon(US).

laktor
22nd September 2007, 10:52 PM
Merci mon ami!

Lxm

Sure wish I could get back to Cologne one day. They have some wonderful FKK clubs in that area.;)

daimm9
23rd September 2007, 11:32 PM
The price of 1,38 EUR is really quite high, I payed 7 cent less yesterday. Daimm9, your new C1 is not a diesel I presume? Over here the most new cars sold are diesels, it's a real boost. How popular are they in the UK?

doinel

No, Its not a diesel, although I have had several diesels in my time, and like a good one.
The choice for the C1 / 107 / Aygo is a 1 litre 3 cylinder petrol, or a 1.4 litre 4 cylinder petrol. Both give similar fuel consumption and similar performance, although the diesel is heavier,(which spoils the handling) and a lot more expensive to buy.

Turbo Diesels are quite popular in the UK, as a way of getting a good compromise of sporting performance and low fuel consumption. "Straight" diesels are less popular, being seen (wrongly IMHO) as being slow.

Anfield
24th September 2007, 01:07 AM
Can someone buy me a Ferrari 430 Scuderia, please.

Dekoda
24th September 2007, 12:52 PM
Last year I traded in one of my Pontiac Grand Ams for a Volkswagon Beetle Turbo-Diesel. I drive 45 miles to work so I decided to go back to VW diesels. This is my fourth VW diesel, but the others were all 1.1 liter diesels, and this one is a 1.9 liter turbo diesel. Right now, with 30,000 miles on it, I get 47-52 mpg. I don't know how that translates into kilometers per liter, but those are really good numbers.

I still have one Grand Am, a 2001 GT model, and it's okay. It's got a 3.4 liter six cylinder engine that gets 26 mpg. My fun car is the 2002 Mini CooperS. The 1.6 liter, supercharged engine is peppy, and the handling is very good, although not as good as the 1988 BMW M3 that I had. The BMW was henna red and had a 2.3 liter 192 hp engine.(I replaced the computer chip, and squeezed 220 hp out of it.) The Mini gets about 31 mpg, but I don't drive it all that much anymore. I'm usually in the VW going to or from work, and once I get home, I don't like to go out again.

I have three cars because I live in the country. There's no public transportation here, so if my car doesn't start when I'm starting out on my way to work, I just jump into another car and take that one. I had 5 cars at one time, 2 BMW's, 2 VW's, and a new Jeep, but that was too many cars for one person, so I slowly eliminated some of them.

One thing about gas prices, I can't understand why diesel fuel costs more than gasoline here. Diesel used to cost slightly less than regular gasoline,now it's 40 cents more than gasoline. Today, diesel was $3/gallon and gasoline was $2.61/gallon. Is it the same way over there?

Luxman
24th September 2007, 01:57 PM
...I get 47-52 mpg. I don't know how that translates into kilometers per liter, but those are really good numbers.

Those are excellent numbers, equals 4.5 - 5.0 l/100km, very reasonable.

One thing about gas prices, I can't understand why diesel fuel costs more than gasoline here. Diesel used to cost slightly less than regular gasoline,now it's 40 cents more than gasoline. Today, diesel was $3/gallon and gasoline was $2.61/gallon. Is it the same way over there?

Here Diesel is still about 25% cheaper than gasoline, that's why I recently changed my BMW 750i with a 335d coupé (see below :)).

It has a 3 liter six cylinder Diesel engine with 286 hp, it runs like hell and is better in all performances than the 750.

It takes 7.5 - 8.5 l/100km (27 - 31 mpg) , even less if I drive carefully (what's not easy :)).

I'm very happy with it.

Lxm

Dekoda
24th September 2007, 03:36 PM
Those are excellent numbers, equals 4.5 - 5.0 l/100km, very reasonable.

Here Diesel is still about 25% cheaper than gasoline, that's why I recently changed my BMW 750i with a 335d coupé (see below :)).

It has a 3 liter six cylinder Diesel engine with 286 hp, it runs like hell and is better in all performances than the 750.

It takes 7.5 - 8.5 l/100km (27 - 31 mpg) , even less if I drive carefully (what's not easy :)).

I'm very happy with it.

Lxm

Since it's not a TD, I assume it's just a regular diesel? To obtain 286 hp from a diesel is pretty amazing. That's a beautiful car Luxman, and I'm sure it's hard to have to stop and park it and get out.(one more drive around the block...please?):) I love BMW's because of their performance. I found that just taking one for a drive doesn't reveal what the car can do. As you well know, driving one every day for a while allows you to discover the real performance of it. The way it responds to sudden obstacles, quick acceleration, etc.

When I bought my M3, I never even took it for a test drive. I just told the dealer to wrap it up, and I'd take it. When I finally did drive it, it didn't seem all that special, but then I was just driving it to work. After about a week of driving it, I was impressed with it's handling and acceleration. I joined the BMW Car Club of America, and eventually took it to some of their driving schools. That's where I found out what the car would really do.

Have you ever gone to a driving school? They are loads of fun, and you learn to be a better driver in all kinds of weather. Hitting a 135 degree turn at 105 mph is something you have to experience...especially in a BMW because of their superior handling. When you are behind the wheel of a car that's doing a perfectly controlled slide around a turn, is a total adrenaline rush!

Anyway, congratulations on the new ride....I know you'll have a blast driving it!

Luxman
24th September 2007, 03:59 PM
Since it's not a TD, I assume it's just a regular diesel?

No, it's a twin turbo, otherwise the 286 hp wouldn't be possible. Because every of their diesel is turbo, BMW doesn't use the "t" anymore.

To obtain 286 hp from a diesel is pretty amazing. That's a beautiful car Luxman, and I'm sure it's hard to have to stop and park it and get out.(one more drive around the block...please?):)

I can really confirm that. Acceleration 0 - 100 km/h (0 - 62.1 mp/h) 6.1 seconds is quite amazing for a diesel.

Have you ever gone to a driving school? They are loads of fun, and you learn to be a better driver in all kinds of weather. Hitting a 135 degree turn at 105 mph is something you have to experience...especially in a BMW because of their superior handling. When you are behind the wheel of a car that's doing a perfectly controlled slide around a turn, is a total adrenaline rush!

Yes, I did that a while ago, I think I should do a redux ;) of it in the near future.

Anyway, congratulations on the new ride....

Thanks Dekoda.

I know you'll have a blast driving it!

You betcha!

Lxm

casgrain
24th September 2007, 04:21 PM
Man, those are very large licence plate and very colourful. :eek:

Yealith
24th September 2007, 07:51 PM
This BMW is one of the really cool looking models on AW eh ;-)

Luxman
24th September 2007, 08:02 PM
This BMW is one of the really cool looking models on AW eh ;-)

Bwahaha!!!

Lxm

doinel
24th September 2007, 09:43 PM
There's no doubt, that BMW knows what the 'M' in its name is all about. The new generation of downsized double-turbo 6 cyls. are way ahead of anything the competitors of Mercedes or Audi have to offer. I think that the new C-class will have difficulties outdoing the 3-series.

Here I found a funny Top Gear test (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYy-qc6l2L8) of the car I drive for 3 years now. The best is the conclusion of the tester: this car is insane and you'd be insane buying one. I can live with it. :cool:

doinel

Luxman
24th September 2007, 10:19 PM
That's a great test Doinel, I can imagine that you love your car.

Lxm

Melinda
25th September 2007, 01:51 AM
that's why I recently changed my BMW 750i with a 335d coupé

Hey no fair! I know nothing about cars but I have always like BMWs and I want that car Luxman! It looks really nice and I like the colour... if I'm ever in town will you take me for a drive in it Luxman? :) My bf has promised that I can have a BMW of my own one day, hooray!

<3 Luv Melinda <3

Luxman
25th September 2007, 06:24 AM
... if I'm ever in town will you take me for a drive in it Luxman?

Of course! Just come here...

Lxm

Diablo
25th September 2007, 07:36 AM
Luxman: Out of interest, what's the torque curve and rev range like for the engine on your car? Is it comparable to the typical gasoline sports car engine? I've never been in a car that had a diesel engine that was oriented more for driving pleasure rather than towing, so I'm kinda curious how they play out.

Melinda
25th September 2007, 08:32 AM

Luxman, are you trying to lure me into your car? haha... I'm gunna hold you to that, I promise I'll let you know next time I'm in Luxembourg, which is NOT a city in Germany :p...

<3 Luv Melinda <3

Tango270
25th September 2007, 08:41 AM

Lxm

Come on Lux, say it right !

"Hey there pretty lady.....come into my car, let's go for a ride.... I've got candy." :cool:

Heeheeheheehehehehehee

Diablo
25th September 2007, 09:12 AM

Luxy, when you drive past Melinda, make sure you have this song (http://www.lyricsvault.net/songs/12832.html) played on the stereo :)

Luxman
25th September 2007, 12:23 PM
Luxman: Out of interest, what's the torque curve and rev range like for the engine on your car? Is it comparable to the typical gasoline sports car engine? I've never been in a car that had a diesel engine that was oriented more for driving pleasure rather than towing, so I'm kinda curious how they play out.

The maximum torque is 580 Nm (428 lb-ft) at 1750 - 2250 rpm, so there's much of power at a very low rpm range.
The maximum power of 210 kW (286 hp) is reached at 4400 rpm.

In my eyes the engine behaviour is pretty much like a gasoline engine, except the lower rpm range, I had an M5 a couple of years ago, so I can compare.

What's amazing is that neither in the US nor in Australia they sell that engine configuration.

Lxm

doinel
25th September 2007, 05:12 PM
Diablo (and Lux of course too), here (http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/first_drive.php?sid=239&page=1) is a link to a UK test of Luxy's BMW, if you might like to read....:)

doinel

Luxman
25th September 2007, 10:39 PM
Here's a video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-QD-W8FEi0) of a performance test on a German highway: 260 km/h (at 4200 rpm).

Lxm

Anfield
27th September 2007, 12:28 AM
Ok as non of you lot want to buy me the car I mentioned above (i'm very disapointed in you all). How about this one instead

http://www.mediafire.com/imageview.php?quickkey=7dwnyihmlty&thumb=4

Luxman
27th September 2007, 06:29 AM
Ok as non of you lot want to buy me the car I mentioned above (i'm very disapointed in you all). How about this one instead

http://www.mediafire.com/imageview.php?quickkey=7dwnyihmlty&thumb=4

Nice car Anfield, but you should send your request to Bill Gates, he surely has more funds than people here around.

Lxm

Diablo
27th September 2007, 05:28 PM
The maximum torque is 580 Nm (428 lb-ft) at 1750 - 2250 rpm, so there's much of power at a very low rpm range.
The maximum power of 210 kW (286 hp) is reached at 4400 rpm.

In my eyes the engine behaviour is pretty much like a gasoline engine, except the lower rpm range, I had an M5 a couple of years ago, so I can compare.

What's amazing is that neither in the US nor in Australia they sell that engine configuration.

Lxm

That's some awesome torque! And down pretty low, too - I take it the turbo lag is non-existant? It even has Holden's latest GenIV LS2 V8 (http://www.users.on.net/~nweber/commodore/ve/ve-specs.html#l98) beat in that regard. Put it on a dyno and post the graph here, I say :)

Usually the hindrance to diesel passenger car uptake here in Australia is that the price of diesel is very close, if not greater than the price of ULP - a few European makers (I know VW are, and I think some of the other German/French ones are as well) are starting to sell diesel variants of their passenger cars. LPG is also a pretty popular alternative fuel here - many cars are set-up for duel-fuel running. My dad used to have a EF Ford Fairlane with LPG back in '94 - was bloody cheap filling it up at 18c/L at the time.

I've also watched that video that doinel linked to - that level of speed on a two-lane dual carriageway (Autobahn I presume?) kinda intrigues me. Don't you ever get fatigued quickly driving like that? Here in Australia, the fastest legal speed limit in the country is usually 110km/h (in the Northern Territory on the Stuart Hwy it used to be unlimited, but now it's 130km/h). I suppose the roads are much smoother over there? Oz country highways can be pretty bumpy at times, especially the B & C-class roads - most cars sold in Australia have softer suspension (compared to some of their international counterparts) for these reasons. Obviously the regional towns are more sparse as well...

Anfield
27th September 2007, 09:35 PM
Nice car Anfield, but you should send your request to Bill Gates, he surely has more funds than people here around.

Lxm

No fair. Perhaps I should forward one of those "Bill Gates will give you $2500 per each person you send this to" :rolleyes:

doinel
30th September 2007, 05:22 PM
I've also watched that video that doinel linked to - that level of speed on a two-lane dual carriageway (Autobahn I presume?) kinda intrigues me. Don't you ever get fatigued quickly driving like that? Here in Australia, the fastest legal speed limit in the country is usually 110km/h (in the Northern Territory on the Stuart Hwy it used to be unlimited, but now it's 130km/h). I suppose the roads are much smoother over there? Oz country highways can be pretty bumpy at times, especially the B & C-class roads - most cars sold in Australia have softer suspension (compared to some of their international counterparts) for these reasons. Obviously the regional towns are more sparse as well...
I think you refer to the 260 km/h BMW video Luxman put in. Yes it was filmed on a two-lane Autobahn, and as you could see it was not much traffic. Which is an extremely rare situation. So, the unlimited-speed-all-the-time in Germany is a myth. There are speed limits of 130 km/h on many motorways and around larger towns even 100 km/h. On the other hand when there is no limit, than you are extremely happy to drive at 160 km/h, 'cos the right lane is often paved with slow driving trucks bumper to bumper (Germany is a transit country). There are three-lane ways too (and more to come), which makes the driving a little bit better. To answer your question about fatigue: it's more a problem of concentration since the you will not be able to drive, say, at 250 km/h for an hour or more. You must always deal with trucks, road work and traffic jam within a few kilometers, and you have to react in a very short time.

doinel

Dekoda
1st October 2007, 04:04 AM
To answer your question about fatigue: it's more a problem of concentration since the you will not be able to drive, say, at 250 km/h for an hour or more. You must always deal with trucks, road work and traffic jam within a few kilometers, and you have to react in a very short time.

doinel

This is so true. If you've ever driven a car on a race track, you know that driving at high speeds is very fatiguing. When I was driving my BMW around a track, we were out for 30 minute sessions, then classroom for a while, then back on the track for another 30 minute session. I know that 30 minutes seems like a brief track session, but you were happy to come in after 30 minutes, because of the fatigue. If you stayed out for longer than that, you would begin to make mistakes in the turns that caused you to lose time or slide off the track.

Watching these pro racers do hour after hour of high speed racing makes you appreciate the endurance they need to drive that long.